The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun quaternary:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun quaternary
- Definition of the adjective quaternary
- Phrases with Quaternary
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quaternary
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quaternary
- Photos about Quaternary
- Video language resources about Quaternary
- Scrabble value of Q10U1A1T1E1R1N1A1R1Y4
- Anagrams of QUATERNARY
- Share this page
Definition of the noun quaternary
What does quaternary mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- quaternary: quaternaries
- Quaternary: -
- last 2 million years
- lexical domain: Time - nouns denoting time and temporal relations
- synonyms of Quaternary: Age of Man / Quaternary period
- instance of: geological period / period = a unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed
- part of: Age of Mammals / Cenozoic / Cenozoic era = approximately the last 63 million years
- the cardinal number that is the sum of three and one
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of quaternary: 4 / four / foursome / IV / Little Joe / quadruplet / quartet / quatern / quaternion / quaternity / tetrad
- more generic words: digit / figure = one of the elements that collectively form a system of numeration
Definition of the adjective quaternary
What does quaternary mean as an attribute of a noun?
- consisting of or especially arranged in sets of four
- coming next after the third and just before the fifth in position or time or degree or magnitude
Alternative definition of the adjective quaternary
- Of fourth rank or order.
- Of a mathematical expression containing e.g. x4.
"Quaternary" is an EP by the heavy metal band Mötley Crüe. It was released in 1994 on Elektra.
Quaternary is a term used in organic chemistry to classify various types of compounds.
- also known as Quartary
Phrases with Quaternary
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quaternary
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of Prehistory (2012)
Volume 1: Africa by Peter N. Peregrine, Melvin Ember
Quaternary depositsareextensive. Theyconsist of numerous facies,varying from consolidated marinedunes alongthe Mediterranean coast tosome early Quaternary volcanic deposits in the Middle Atlasof Morocco. Inthe main, Quaternary ...
by S. George Philander
Corfield Independent Scholar Quaternary era the QuateRnaRY ...
Environmental Change and Human Society
epoch or Holocene epoch during the Quaternary Period). Older units in pre- Cenozoic time are subdivided into periods and occupy much wider time slots based either on relative or absolute dating methods. Stratigraphy. Stratigraphic or time ...
Dictionary of Artifacts (2008)
by Barbara Ann Kipfer
Pleistocene: a geochronological division of geological time, an epoch of the Quaternary period following the Pliocene. During the Pleistocene, large areas of the northern hemisphere were covered with ice and there were successive glacial ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quaternary
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Quaternary
If you need images about Quaternary for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Quaternary
Click on an item to play that video:
- Quaternary Meaning
Video shows what Quaternary means. The geological period of the Cenozoic Era immediately following the Tertiary. It is subdivided into the Pleistocene and the ...
- Quaternary Meaning
Video shows what quaternary means. Of fourth rank or order.. Of a mathematical expression containing e.g. x4.. Quaternary Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Quaternary ammonium Meaning
Video shows what quaternary ammonium means. An ammonium group in which each hydrogen has been replaced by an alkyl or aryl group. Quaternary ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Quaternary!
Scrabble value of Q10U1A1T1E1R1N1A1R1Y4
The value of this 10-letter word is 22 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine