The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb rack up:
On this page:
Definition of the verb rack up
What does rack up mean as a doing phrase?
- gain points in a game
- lexical domain: Competition - verbs of fighting, athletic activities
- synonyms of rack up: hit / score / tally
- more generic terms: advance / gain / gain ground / get ahead / make headway / pull ahead / win = obtain advantages, such as points, etc.
- more specific terms:
- par = make a score (on a hole) equal to par
- shoot = score
- convert = score
- convert = complete successfully
- convert = score an extra point or points after touchdown by kicking the ball through the uprights or advancing the ball into the end zone
- homer = hit a home run
- kick = make a goal
- eagle = shoot in two strokes under par
- hole up = score a hole in one
- ace = score an ace against
- walk = obtain a base on balls
- equalise / equalize / get even = compensate
- have / make / get = achieve a point or goal
- entailments: compete / contend / vie = compete for something; engage in a contest
- place in a rack
- defeat thoroughly
- supply a rack with feed for (horses or other animals)
Alternative definition of the verb rack up
- [snooker, billiards, cue sports] to arrange in a rack
- [idiomatic] to gain (points etc.; in a game or sport)
- [idiomatic] to acquire, to gather together.
- [idiomatic] to defeat severely, to thrash
"Rack Up" is a film.
- also known as Il tocco: la sfida
- country: Spain
- genres: Sports, Action Film, Crime Fiction
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Rack Up
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
Rack rack up -- to collect Rag rag on -- to complain Rake rake in -- to easily make a lot of money rake over -- to examine rake up -- to mention Rally rally around -- to work as a group with a particular purpose Ram ram into -- to hit against ...
With Illustrative Anecdotes and Tales; to which is Appended the Christmas Boy's Play, an Isle of Wight "Hooam Harvest", and Songs Sung by the Peasantry; Forming a Treasury of Insular Manners and Customs of Fifty Years Ago by William Henry Long
Rack up. To fill the racks with food for horses or cattle, the Inst thing at night before leaving them. " Come on, mayet, and git the cannel and lantern; we must begin to rack up, tea ver' near half-aater zeben, you." Racket. "To stand the racket " of ...
by Christine Ammer
rack up Accumulate or score, as in Last night's episode ofthat new sitcom racked up at ...
by Paul Heacock
rack up sth, also rack sth up 1 to obtain a large amount of something ♢ We racked up a lot of miles on our last vacation. * Laura is starting to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Rack Up
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Rack Up
Click on an item to view that photo:
Bike Rack up
Wandering on foot in Grand Rapids Michigan, on a Photo Shoot of Architecture .
Photo credit: LadyDragonflyCC - >;<
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Rack Up
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Rack Up!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Rack Up to see it in context!