Definition of the noun ragi
What does ragi mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ragis
- East Indian cereal grass whose seed yield a somewhat bitter flour, a staple in the Orient
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Cynodon coracanus / species Cynodon coracanus / Cynosurus coracanus / species Cynosurus coracanus / Eleusine cerealis / species Eleusine cerealis / Eleusine coracana stricta / variety Eleusine coracana stricta / Eleusine coracana tocussa / variety Eleusine coracana tocussa / Eleusine dagussa / species Eleusine dagussa / Eleusine indica coracana / subspecies Eleusine indica coracana / variety Eleusine indica coracana / Eleusine indica stricta / variety Eleusine indica stricta / Eleusine luco / species Eleusine luco / Eleusine ovalis / species Eleusine ovalis / Eleusine pilosa / species Eleusine pilosa / Eleusine reniformis / species Eleusine reniformis / Eleusine sphaerosperma / species Eleusine sphaerosperma / Eleusine tocussa / species Eleusine tocussa / Eleusine tocussa erytroleuca / variety Eleusine tocussa erytroleuca / Eleusine tocussa erytromelana / variety Eleusine tocussa erytromelana / Eleusine tocussa flavocarpa / variety Eleusine tocussa flavocarpa / Eleusine tocussa leucocarpa / variety Eleusine tocussa leucocarpa / Eleusine tocussa melanocarpa / variety Eleusine tocussa melanocarpa / Eleusine tocussa olivacea / variety Eleusine tocussa olivacea / Eleusine coracana
- synonyms of ragi: African millet / coracan / corakan / finger millet / kurakkan / ragee
- more generic word: millet = any of various small-grained annual cereal and forage grasses of the genera Panicum, Echinochloa, Setaria, Sorghum, and Eleusine
- member of: Eleusine / genus Eleusine = annual and perennial grasses of savannas and upland grasslands
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Ragi is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Ragi (actor)
Ragi: A ragi at a Sikh gurudwara is a person who can sing shabads in different ragas as prescribed as in Sri Guru Granth Sahib. There are 31 ragas included in Shri Guru Granth Sahib. Unfortunately, today very few Ragis know even any one of the Ragas completely. The trend of singing Shabads on a Flim-song-styled tune is continuing after the fast emergence of Bollywood Music from 1940 onwards.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for ragi
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ratna Rajaiah
Ragi is a hardy crop that can grow with little water and little help from fertilizers. ~ The Defence Food Research Laboratory of India (under the aegis of the Defence Research and Development Organization) has developed ragi-based ...
Food: Facts And Principles (2001)
by N. Shakuntala O. Manay
Uses: Ragi is the principal food grain of the rural population in India, especially in the Southern Region. It is usually converted...
Princely India Re-imagined (2013)
A Historical Anthropology of Mysore from 1799 to the present by Aya Ikegame
Ragi is a kind of dark-coloured millet, which even now is widely consumed in rural areas in southern Karnataka.
by Jonathan Rigg
Ragi, a native preparation made of rice flour, onions, sugar and some other trifies of spicery, which acts as a yeast or ferment in preparing 'l'apai, which see, used only on occasions of native festivities. Raga, C. 589, lust, passion, affection, ...
by Sir George Watt, Edgar Thurston, T. N. Mukharji
such as turmeric, ragi, kambu, &c., in the latter with chain»: and kambu. In gardens, as a mixed ...
Encyclopaedia of Brewing (2013)
In addition, an alcoholic beverage form also exists which is made from steamed glutinous rice and a starter (called ragi) which contains rice and a mixture of moulds, yeasts and bacteria. The process of manufacture is reminiscent of saké and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for ragi
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about ragi
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: indi.ca
- Naz and Ragi
Photo credit: indi.ca
- Dendeng Ragi
Traditional Indonesian food from Java made from stampped beef and shredded coconut.
Photo credit: zoyachubby
- Bhai Avtaar Singh Ragi
Photo credit: KaurArt.com
- Bhai Avtaar Singh Ragi and Jatha
Photo credit: KaurArt.com
- Ragi farm
Tinakal, Chintamani, KOLAR
Photo credit: lakshmansrikanth
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about ragi
Click on an item to play that video:
- Maha kaal kaalika actual meaning...Ragi Darshan knows nothing.....
Very good explaination of Mahakal by a Son of Sree Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj Adi Granth Sri Guru Granth Sahib gurbani should be taken as base reference fo...
- Ragi Poori Recipe | Mallika Badrinath Recipes | Kezhvaragu Puffed Bread | Calcium Rich
- Shiromani Ragi Bhai Balbir Singh Ji - Fateh Divas Lal Qila (Red Fort) Delhi (8th Mar'14)
- Shiromani Ragi Bhai Balbir Singh Ji Rare Recording 1982
Sant Jarnail singh Bhindrawalle , Sant Longowal , Ragi Bhai Balbir Singh.
- Shabad Kirtan - Bhai Kamaljeet Singh Hazoori Ragi Sri Darbar Sahib, Amritsar
- Shiromani Ragi Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji - Gurdwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib, Ludhiana (2013)
- Shiromani Ragi Bhai Balbir Singh Ji - Raag Darbar 8th Oct'14, Manji Sahib Amritsar
- Bhai Maninder Singh - Hazoori Ragi Sri Darbar Sahib
This recording is from the 5th of June 2012.
See also the pronunciation examples of ragi!
Scrabble value of R1A1G2I1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RAGI
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of ragi!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of ragi to find many related words and phrases!