On this page:
Definition of the noun rainbow smelt
What does rainbow smelt mean as a name of something?
- common smelt of eastern North America and Alaska
- important marine and landlocked food fish of eastern North America and Alaska
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Atherina mordax / species Atherina mordax / Osmerus mordax mordax / subspecies Osmerus mordax mordax / Osmerus mordax
- more generic word: smelt = small trout-like silvery marine or freshwater food fishes of cold northern waters
- part: American smelt = common smelt of eastern North America and Alaska
- member of: genus Osmerus / Osmerus = type genus of the Osmeridae
- geographic area: North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Rainbow Smelt
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John F. Mariani
RAINBOW SMELT(Osmerus mordax). Also “icefish.”A smeltfound alongthe Atlanticcoast, measuring aboutseven to eightinches long and having a silver band. It was introduced to the Great Lakes drainage in 1912, where ithas proliferated.
From Genome to Environment
rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax), sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus ), smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu), sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka), ...
by Vin T. Sparano
Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax) River carpsucker (Carpoides carpio) Rosyface shiner (Notropis rubellus) Slimy sculpin (Cottus cognatus) Spotfin shiner (Notropis spilopterus) Spottail ...
by Peter R. Eisenstadt, Laura-Eve Moss
After 1935 rainbow smelt, an invasive species, became the most abundant forage fish for local predators, fulfilling the former ecological role of the herring. As early as the 1920s researchers issued warnings about pollution in Lake Erie, where, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Rainbow Smelt
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Rainbow Smelt
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Rainbow Smelt
Non-native rainbow smelts have long thin bodies, ranging colors of purple, pink and blue iridescent sides.
Photo by Mara Koenig/USFWS
Photo credit: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Midwest Region
- Rainbow smelt
Rainbow smelt. Osmerus mordax.
Photo credit: NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Rainbow Smelt to find many related words and phrases!