Range of Mountains
is an acrostic for rom.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun range of mountains:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun range of mountains
What does range of mountains mean as a name of something?
- a series of hills or mountains
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonyms of range of mountains: chain / chain of mountains / mountain chain / mountain range / range
- more generic terms: formation / geological formation = the geological features of the earth
- Adirondack Mountains / Adirondacks = a mountain range in northeastern New York State
- Admiralty Range = mountains in Antarctica to the north of Victoria Land
- Alaska Range = a mountain range in south central Alaska
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- the Alps / Alps = a large mountain system in south-central Europe
- Altai Mountains / Altay Mountains = a mountain range in central Asia that extends a thousand miles from Kazakhstan eastward into western Mongolia and northern China
- Andes = a mountain range in South America running 5000 miles along the Pacific coast
- Apennines = a mountain range extending the length of the Italian peninsula
- Appalachian Mountains / Appalachians = a mountain range in the eastern United States extending from Quebec to the Gulf of Mexico
- Atlas Mountains = a mountain range in northern Africa between the Mediterranean and the Sahara Desert
- Australian Alps = a range of mountains in Australia that forms the southern end of the Great Dividing Range
- Balkan Mountain Range / Balkan Mountains / Balkans = the major mountain range of Bulgaria and the Balkan Peninsula
- Berkshire Hills / Berkshires = a low mountain range in western Massachusetts
- Black Hills = mountains in southwestern South Dakota and northeastern Wyoming; sacred to the Sioux
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Cantabrian Mountains = a range of mountains in northern Spain along the coast of the Bay of Biscay
- Carpathian Mountains / Carpathians = a mountain range in central Europe that extends from Slovakia and southern Poland southeastward through western Ukraine to northeastern Romania
- Cascade Mountains / Cascade Range / Cascades = a mountain range in the northwestern United States extending through Washington and Oregon and northern California
- Catskill Mountains / Catskills = a range of the Appalachians to the west of the Hudson in southeastern New York
- Caucasus Mountains / Caucasus = the mountain range in Caucasia between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea that forms part of the traditional border between Europe and Asia
- Coast Mountains / Coast Range = a string of mountain ranges along the Pacific coast of North America from southeastern Alaska to Lower California
- Cumberland Mountains / Cumberland Plateau = the southwestern part of the Appalachians
- Dolomite Alps = an eastern range of the Alps in northeastern Italy famous for their dolomitic limestone
- Great Dividing Range / Eastern Highlands = a mountain range running along the eastern coast of Australia
- Great Smoky Mountains = part of the Appalachians between North Carolina and Tennessee
- Green Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains that extends from south to north through Vermont
- Guadalupe Mountains = a mountain range in southern New Mexico and western Texas
- Himalaya Mountains / Himalayas / Himalaya = a mountain range extending 1500 miles on the border between India and Tibet
- Hindu Kush Mountains / Hindu Kush = a mountain range extending to the west of the Himalayas
- Karakoram Range / Karakorum Range / Mustagh Range / Karakoram / Mustagh = a mountain range in northern Kashmir; an extension of the Hindu Kush
- Kuenlun Mountains / Kunlun Mountains / Kunlan Shan / Kuenlun / Kunlun = a mountain range in western China that extends eastward from the Indian border for 1000 miles
- Mesabi Range = a range of hills in northeastern Minnesota where rich iron ore deposits were discovered in 1887
- Mount Carmel = a mountain range in northwestern Israel near the Mediterranean coast
- Nan Ling = a mountain range in southeastern China running generally east to west
- Ozark Mountains / Ozark Plateau / Ozarks = an area of low mountains in northwestern Arkansas and southeastern Missouri and northeastern Oklahoma
- Pamir Mountains / the Pamirs = a mountain range in central Asia that is centered in Tajikistan but extends into Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan and Pakistan and western China
- Pyrenees = a chain of mountains between France and Spain
- Rhodope Mountains = a mountain range in the Balkan peninsula in southeastern Europe
- Rocky Mountains / Rockies = the chief mountain range of western North America; extends from British Columbia to northern New Mexico
- Sacramento Mountains = mountain range in New Mexico to the east of the Rio Grande
- San Juan Mountains = a mountain range in southwestern Colorado that is part of the Rocky Mountains
- Sayan Mountains = a range of mountains in southern Siberia to the west of Lake Baikal
- Selkirk Mountains = a range of the Rocky Mountains in southeastern British Columbia
- sierra = a range of mountains
- Sierra Madre Occidental = a mountain range in northwestern Mexico that runs south from Arizona parallel to the Pacific coastline
- Sierra Madre Oriental = a mountain range in northeastern Mexico the runs parallel to the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico
- Sierra Nevada Mountains / Sierra Nevada / High Sierra = a mountain range in eastern California
- Sierra Nevada = a mountain range in southern Spain along the Mediterranean coast to the east of Granada
- St. Elias Mountains / St. Elias Range = a range of mountains between Alaska and the Yukon territory
- Taconic Mountains = a range of the Appalachian Mountains along the eastern border of New York with Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont
- Teton Range = a mountain range in northwest Wyoming
- Tien Shan / Tyan Shan = a major mountain range of central Asia
- Transylvanian Alps = a range of the southern Carpathian Mountains extending across central Romania
- Tyrolean Alps = a popular tourist area in the Tyrol
- Ural Mountains / Urals = a mountain range in western Russia extending from the Arctic to the Caspian Sea
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Range of Mountains
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by California State Agricultural Society
The Santa Ana range of mountains is the line between Orange and San Bernardino counties at the northeast corner of the former county. It is also the dividing line between Orange and San Diego counties on the east. This range also sends up ...
Including Cursory Observations on the Geology and Geography of the Southern Part of that Continent by John Barrow
The third range of mountains is the Nieuwveldt's Gebergte, which, with the second, grasps the Great Karroo or arid desert, uninhabited by a human creature. This desert, making the third step or terrace of Southern Africa, is greatly elevated ...
Landfalls of Paradise (2006)
Cruising Guide to the Pacific Islands by Earl R. Hinz, Jim Howard
Between the northern and the central range of mountains is the Central Depression, which includes the valleys of the Sepik, Ramu, and Markham Rivers. On the smaller islands, mountains cover much of the area; many of them are active or ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
a considerable portion of Caubul, is bounded on the ~ north by Hindoo Coosh and the Paropamisan range of mountains, by which it is separated from Bulkh and ...
by Ludwig W. Adamec
Its backbone is a range of mountains running parallel to the Red Sea coast, forming the Hijaz (barrier), which includes the holy cities ...
by Peter H. Rist
It is one of the most biodiverse continents on Earth and contains the world's largest river by volume, the Amazon, flowing through the planet's largest rain forest, as well as the longest range of mountains on Earth, the Andes, which contains ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
BLUE HILLs, a range of mountains in New England, whose first ridge in New Hampshire passes through Rochester, Barrington, and Nottingham. BLUE JAPAN.—Take gum-water, and white lead, a sufficient quantity; grind them well upon ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Blue Hills, a range of mountains in New England, whose first ridge in New Hampshire passes through Rochester, Barrington, and Nottingham. Blue Japan. — Take gum-water, and white lead, a sufficient quantity ; grind them well upon ...
Sinhalese English Dictionary (1982)
by B. Clough
Himalaya range of mountains, which bounds India on the north and separates it from Tartary, (the Imaus and Emodus of the ancients,) giving rise to the Ganges, the Indus, Brahmaputra, etc.
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1888)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
Hence it is a complex range of mountains formed by the combination of several distinct systems of ridges.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Range of Mountains
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Range of Mountains
Click on an item to view that photo:
The Karakol range of mountains
From the Tileti pass
Photo credit: Gael Varoquaux
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Range of Mountains to find many related words and phrases!