The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun reality:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun reality and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun reality
- Phrases with Reality
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reality
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reality
- Photos about Reality
- Video language resources about Reality
- Quotes about Reality
- Scrabble value of R1E1A1L1I1T1Y4
- Anagrams of REALITY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reality
What does reality mean as a name of something?
Reality is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: realities
- all of your experiences that determine how things appear to you
- example: for them demons were as much a part of reality as trees were
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of reality: world
- more generic word: experience = the content of direct observation or participation in an event
- more specific terms: real world / real life = the practical world as opposed to the academic world
- the state of being actual or real
- example: the reality of his situation slowly dawned on him
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of reality: realism / realness
- antonym of reality: unreality
- more generic word: actuality = the state of actually existing objectively
- more specific word: fact = an event known to have happened or something known to have existed
- the state of the world as it really is rather than as you might want it to be
- the quality possessed by something that is real
- "Reality" is a 2012 Italian drama film directed by Matteo Garrone and stars Aniello Arena, Loredana Simioli, and Claudia Gerini. The narrative is set in the world of reality television, and follows a Neapolitan fishmonger who participates in Grande Fratello, the Italian version of Big Brother. The film won the Grand Prix award at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
- also known as Big House
- countries: Italy, France
- languages: Italian Language, English Language, Latin Language, Neapolitan language
- producers: Matteo Garrone & Domenico Procacci
- production design by Paolo Bonfini
- written by Massimo Gaudioso, Matteo Garrone, Maurizio Braucci & Ugo Chiti
- based on a story by Massimo Gaudioso & Matteo Garrone
- Aniello Arena as Luciano
- Loredana Simioli as Maria
- Nando Paone as Michele
- Nello Iorio as Massimone
- Nunzia Schiano as Aunt Nunzia
- Rosaria D'Urso as Aunt Rosaria
- Giuseppina Cervizzi as Giusy
- Claudia Gerini as TV hostess
- Raffaele Ferrante as Enzo
- Paola Minaccioni as Roman customer
- Ciro Petrone as Bartender
- Salvatore Misticone as Shoemaker
- Vincenzo Riccio as Vincenzo
- Martina Graziuso as Martina
- Alessandra Scognamillo as Alessandra
- Angelica Borghese
- Carlo Del Sorbo
- Arturo Gambardella
- casting by Marita D'Elia
- cinematography by Marco Onorato
- edited by Marco Spoletini
- music by Alexandre Desplat
- costume design by Maurizio Millenotti
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- rating: R (USA)
- released on
- David di Donatello for Best Director nomination for Matteo Garrone
- David di Donatello for Best Screenplay nomination for Matteo Garrone, Ugo Chiti, Massimo Gaudioso & Maurizio Braucci
- David di Donatello for Best Actor nomination for Aniello Arena
- David di Donatello for Best Cinematography nomination for Marco Onorato
- David di Donatello for Best Music nomination for Alexandre Desplat
- David di Donatello for Best Production Design nomination for Paolo Bonfini
- David di Donatello for Best Make-up nomination for Dalia Colli
- David di Donatello for Best Hair Design/Styling nomination for Daniela Tartari
- David di Donatello for Best Editing nomination for Marco Spoletini
- David di Donatello for Best Sound nomination for Maricetta Lombardo
- David di Donatello for Best Visual Effects nomination for Bruno Albi Marini
- David di Donatello for Best Cinematography, received by Marco Onorato
- David di Donatello for Best Make-up, received by Dalia Colli
- David di Donatello for Best Hair Design/Styling, received by Daniela Tartari
- official website: oscilloscope.net/reality
- "Reality" a.k.a. "Haqeeqat" is a 1964 Hindi war-film directed by Chetan Anand.
- read more about Haqeeqat
- "Reality" is a film, directed by Quentin Dupieux.
- "Reality" is a film.
- also known as Daemul
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- producer: Lee Sang-woon
- cinematography by Park Seung-Bae
- edited by Kim Hui-su
- genres: East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (27 years ago)
- "Reality" is a film.
- "Reality" is a 2003 short film directed by Steven Lippman.
- "Reality" a.k.a. "Rzeczywistość (film)": Rzeczywistość is a Polish historical film. It was released in 1961.
- read more about Rzeczywistość (film)
- "Reality" is the 23rd studio album by English rock musician David Bowie. It was released in 2003 on his Iso Records label, in conjunction with Columbia Records.
- "Reality" is a song performed by English singer Richard Sanderson. It was released in 1980 as an original soundtrack to the popular 1980 French film La Boum, which starred French actress Sophie Marceau. It was also served as theme song to 2011 Korean film Sunny.
- "Reality" is the second studio album by American pop group Dream. It was released in limited quantities in France in late 2005 over two years after the group had disbanded; it remained unreleased elsewhere until 2008, when it became available on the United States iTunes Store.
- "Reality" is the fourth album by Smooth. It was released on March 10, 1998 through Perspective Records and featured production from Chris Stokes and the production duo Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. This is her first album under Perspective Records after two albums recorded under Jive Records. It is also her first album where she sings on the entire project. Unlike her previous material, Reality contains a more diverse sound with elements of pop and alternative rock mixed into an R&B sound.
- genre: Rhythm and blues
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Reality" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Kenny Chesney for his 2010 album Hemingway's Whiskey, from which it was released in October 2011 as the fifth single. The song became his 20th number one hit on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in early 2012.
- "Reality" is the debut studio album by British progressive rock band Second Hand, released in 1968. The album is sometimes considered to be one of the first progressive rock recordings, though the album The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack was released in late 1967. Actually, most of the album material was written and recorded in early 1967. However, the album is for a few years ahead of time and shows progressive touches much earlier than the classics of the genre, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson.
- genre: Symphonic rock
- released in (47 years ago)
- "Reality" is a 1974 album by jazz bassist Monk Montgomery, one of his three solo albums. It was released on Philadelphia International Records.
- "Reality" is a song recorded by James Brown. Released as a single in 1975, it charted #19 R&B and #80 Pop. It also appeared on an album of the same name.
- "Reality" is a composition.
- "Reality" is a musical album of James Brown.
- released in (40 years ago)
- "Reality" is a musical album of Wingdom.
- released on (10 years ago)
- Reality is a musical group.
- albums: "Who Killed the Golden Goose?", "Young Drunk Punks", "Blind to the Truth"
- Reality is a musical group.
There are other groups with in their name, like Dark Reality, Grim Reality, Death Reality, Harsh Reality, Reality Check, Stark Reality, Reality Crisis, Face of Reality, Fertile Reality, Kiss of Reality, Virtual reality, Banished Reality, Break of Reality, Far from Reality, Noise of Reality, Distorted Reality, Fall From Reality, Freaks of Reality, Reality Addiction and Spiritual Reality.
Reality is a record label.
- Reality is the conjectured state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. A still more broad definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.
- also known as 現實
- Reality is a 2014 French-Belgian comedy-drama film written and directed by Quentin Dupieux. The film premiered in the Horizons section at the 71st Venice International Film Festival on 28 August 2014.
- Reality is a single by the industrial hip-hop group Tackhead, released in January 1988 on On-U Sound Records.
Phrases with Reality
Phrases starting with the word Reality:
- Reality TV
- Reality Show
- reality check
- reality principle
- Reality Challenged
- Reality television
- Reality Distortion Field
Phrases ending with the word Reality:
Other phrase containing the word Reality:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reality
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Evolution of Policing (2013)
Worldwide Innovations and Insights by Melchor C. de Guzman, Aiedeo Mintie Das, Dilip K. Das
The reality is that the police cannot prevent crime by themselves. The police and the community are coproducers of crime reduction. 2. Local residents believe that they should not be included in crime prevention and intervention strategies.
The Community of the Weak (2013)
Social Postmodernism in Theological Reflections on Power and Powerlessness in North America by Hans-Peter Geiser
Reality is an African American roommate who lives with you for a year. Reality is a gay evangelical Christian and a gay Christian couple living together somewhere in greenpastured...
Reality is the laughter of a kid after having been told in the 1960s or in South Africa that segregation and racism are ...
From a Native Son (1996)
Selected Essays in Indigenism, 1985-1995 by Ward Churchill
DEATH SQUADS IN THE UNITED STATES Confessions of a Government Terrorist The reality is a continuum which connects Indian flesh...
Why Human-Centred Leadership is the Key to the 21st Century by Anthony Howard
The reality is a polar opposite. 'People are our greatest asset' is one of...
by Roy Latham
virtual reality related. cyberia [slang ] n. : Cyberspace. cybernaut n. : 1. A person who explores a simulated environment using an immersive virtual reality system. 2. Any practitioner of virtual reality.
by Stewart Clegg, James R. Bailey
Data in organization studies are representations that maintain a two-way correspondence between an empirical reality and a symbol system. Conceptual Overview All data are representations. Respondents' questionnaire answers ...
A Dictionary of Symbols (2013)
by J. E. Cirlot
dynamic and polysymbolic reality, imbued with emotive and conceptual values: in other words, with true life. However, the above quotation is extremely helpful in enabling us to mark out the limits of the symbolic. If there is or if there may be a ...
by Marcel Danesi
reality television [also calledreality show] genre of television programming that presents purportedly unscripted situations, featuring ordinary people insteadof professional actors. Reality television covers a wide rangeof programming, ...
by Sanjay Paswan, Pramanshi Jaideva
Reality. A good deal of social science literature has developed on justice in near past. A bulk of the literature attempt to determine the standards of distributive justice operative in social life: a common person's sense of justice. Thus, areas of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reality
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reality
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: joostmarkerink
Isn't the reality unreal? Isn't the unreal really real?
Photo credit: Wrote
God creates love, man destroys it.
Photo credit: Iqbal Osman1
Photo credit: migelli
Photo credit: MyInkIsMyArt
Photo credit: Taymaz Valley
- Project Reality - Childrens Center
A center for underprivileged kids. Painted brightly. There are always so many kids there of all ages. It really is a positive place for them.
Photo credit: spcbrass
- Falling Reality
Photo credit: zerantuno
- Project Reality - Street Propaganda
People post their beliefs on abandoned shops. Some strange one's here.
Photo credit: spcbrass
- Pieces of reality
via Instagram ift.tt/2fcYjAP
Photo credit: Enorazza
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reality
Click on an item to play that video:
- Bala's explanation on paradesi reality teaser
Bala's explanation on paradesi reality teaser.
- The Meaning of Meaning - Your Meanings Create Reality - Meaning Is More Important Than Intention
- The Reality & Definition of Time | Raymond Tallis, Angie Hobbs, Jim Al-Khalili, Quentin Cooper
Time's Arrow: Debate the Reality & Definition of Time - Watch the full video here...
- Abraham Hicks - Best Explanation of How Your Reality is Created
- Unlock Reality meaning and pronunciation
A term used when someone says something deep or wise. Derived from the underground text called Unlock Reality, which claims to explain the Construction of ...
- Reality Bender Explanation
- UR is Unlock Reality meaning and pronunciation
UR is the abbreviation for Unlock Reality a term derived from the Unlock Reality Manuscript text being shared round the world via bookcrossing. It is also the ...
- Reality Meaning
Video shows what reality means. The state of being actual or real.. A real entity, event or other fact.. The entirety of all that is real.. reality synonyms: actuality, real ...
- Reality and Meaning Emanating from a False Centre
Paul talks about meaning emanating from a false centre called "self"
- Pseudoskeptics The Definition of Reality and the THB
- Balanced View Adam Borcherdt: The Profound Meaning of Reality - 2.23.15
- NDrive Navigation - Reality with a new definition
NDrive is a personal navigation solution. NDrive provides an advanced navigation experience, with clear and precise turn-by-turn spoken and visual instructions ...
- Reality of Paper Money, Short History of Money and Its Meaning
- Dolceamare's Raw Reality in NYC - Vocabulary Lesson #2
A series of short clips filmed in NYC with the girls from Dolceamare. Releasing bonus footage before the release of Episode 2 of their new web series "Lipstick, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Reality!
Quotes about Reality
With a 'cup' full of sugar,
Reality will be squeezed out.
A reality will be squeezed out.
A reality will be squeezed out.
And with a 'cup' full of sugar,
Reality will be squeezed out...
In every hopeful,
Way! (Lawrence S. Pertillar)
more quotes about reality...
Scrabble value of R1E1A1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REALITY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reality!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reality to see it in context!