The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun reduction:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun reduction
- Phrases with Reduction
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reduction
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reduction
- Photos about Reduction
- Video language resources about Reduction
- Quotes about Reduction
- Scrabble value of R1E1D2U1C3T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of REDUCTION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reduction
What does reduction mean as a name of something?
Reduction is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: reductions
- the act of decreasing or reducing something
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of reduction: decrease / diminution / step-down
- more generic term: change of magnitude = the act of changing the amount or size of something
- more specific terms:
- cut = the act of reducing the amount or number
- mitigation / moderation = the action of lessening in severity or intensity
- lowering = the act of causing to become less
- cutback = a reduction in quantity or rate
- devaluation = the reduction of something's value or worth
- devitalisation / devitalization = the act of reducing the vitality of something
- extenuation / mitigation / palliation = to act in such a way as to cause an offense to seem less serious
- alleviation / easement / easing / relief = the act of reducing something unpleasant
- de-escalation = a reduction in intensity
- minimisation / minimization = the act of reducing something to the least possible amount or degree or position
- depletion = the act of decreasing something markedly
- shortening = act of decreasing in length
- shrinking = the act of becoming less
- subtraction / deduction = the act of subtracting
- deflation = the act of letting the air out of something
- price reduction / deduction / discount = the act of reducing the selling price of merchandise
- rollback = reducing prices back to some earlier level
- weakening = the act of reducing the strength of something
- depreciation = a decrease in price or value
- contraction = the act of decreasing (something) in size or volume or quantity or scope
- reverse stock split / reverse split / split down = a decrease in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity
- amortisation / amortization = the reduction of the value of an asset by prorating its cost over a period of years
- declassification = reduction or removal by the government of restrictions on a classified document or weapon
- tax shelter / shelter = a way of organizing business to reduce the taxes it must pay on current earnings
- tax credit = a direct reduction in tax liability
- any process in which electrons are added to an atom or ion (as by removing oxygen or adding hydrogen); always occurs accompanied by oxidation of the reducing agent
- the act of reducing complexity
Alternative definition of the noun reduction
- The act, process, or result of reducing.
- antonym: elevation
- The amount or rate by which something is reduced, e.g. in price.
- antonym: expansion
- [chemistry] A reaction in which electrons are gained and valence is reduced; often by the removal of oxygen or the addition of hydrogen.
- antonym: increase
- [cooking] The process of rapidly boiling a sauce to concentrate it.
- antonym: promotion
- [mathematics] The rewriting of an expression into a simpler form.
- [context: computability theory] a transformation of one problem into another problem, such as mapping reduction or polynomial reduction.
- [music] An arrangement for a far smaller number of parties, e.g. a keyboard solo based on a full opera.
- [philosophy, phenomenology] A philosophical procedure intended to reveal the objects of consciousness as pure phenomena. (See phenomenological reduction.)
- "Reduction" is a musical album of Art of Noise.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Reduction" is a musical EP of Elting Lieb.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Reduction" is a 2006 single album by deadmau5.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Reduction" is a musical album of Peter Banks.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Reduction" is a composition.
- music by Function
- Reduction: In computability theory and computational complexity theory, a reduction is an algorithm for transforming one problem into another problem. A reduction from one problem to another may be used to show that the second problem is at least as difficult as the first. The mathematical structure generated on a set of problems by the reductions of a particular type generally forms a preorder, whose equivalence classes may be used to define degrees of unsolvability and complexity classes.
- also known as การลดรูป (ความซับซ้อน), 歸約
- Reduction: In cooking, reduction is the process of thickening and intensifying the flavor of a liquid mixture such as a soup, sauce, wine, or juice by simmering or boiling. Reduction is performed by simmering or boiling a liquid such as stock, fruit or vegetable juices, wine, vinegar, or a sauce until the desired volume is reached by evaporation. This is done without a lid, thus enabling the vapor to escape from the mixture. Different components of the liquid will evaporate at slightly different temperatures, and the goal of reduction is to drive away those with lowest points of evaporation. It thus can be seen as a form of distillation, capturing those components that have the highest boiling point.
- Reduction a.k.a. Piano reduction: A piano reduction is sheet music for the piano that was once music for other instruments that was reduced as kind of projection to its most basic components within a two line staff for piano. It is also considered a style of orchestration or music arrangement less well known as contraction scoring, a subset of elastic scoring.
- Reduction is a surgical procedure to restore a fracture or dislocation to the correct alignment. This sense of the term "reduction" does not imply any sort of removal or quantitative decrease but rather implies a restoration: re + ducere, i.e., "bringing back to normal." When a bone fractures, the fragments lose their alignment in the form of displacement or angulation. For the fractured bone to heal without any deformity the bony fragments must be re-aligned to their normal anatomical position. Orthopedic surgery attempts to recreate the normal anatomy of the fractured bone by reduction of the displacement.
- Reduction: The reductions in Sweden were the return to the Crown of the fiefs that had been granted to the Swedish nobility.
- Reduction: In mathematics, reduction refers to the rewriting of an expression into a simpler form. For example, the process of rewriting a fraction into one with the smallest whole-number denominator possible is called "reducing a fraction". Rewriting a radical expression with the smallest possible whole number under the radical symbol is called "reducing a radical".
- Reduction: En filosofía de la ciencia, la reducción es una operación epistémica por la cual se identifican dos objetos reales o dos objetos conceptuales o bien un objeto se incluye en otro o se explica por otro.
- Reduction: In computability theory, many reducibility relations are studied. They are motivated by the question: given sets A and B of natural numbers, is it possible to effectively convert a method for deciding membership in B into a method for deciding membership in A? If the answer to this question is affirmative then A is said to be reducible to B.
Phrases with Reduction
Phrases starting with the word Reduction:
Phrases ending with the word Reduction:
- Tax Reduction
- Beta Reduction
- price reduction
- Breast reduction
- temperature reduction
- Carbothermal Reduction
- Prolongational Reduction
- Magnesiothermic Reduction
- Phenomenological Reduction
Other phrase containing the word Reduction:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reduction
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Over the Influence (2003)
The Harm Reduction Guide for Managing Drugs and Alcohol by Patt Denning, Jeannie Little, Adina Glickman
Harm reduction says Just Say Know (know what and how much you are using). • Harm reduction means taking care of yourself, regardless of the status of your drug use. • Harm reduction means getting nondiscriminatory care from others, ...
by Ian G. Barbour
Methodological reduction is a research strategy: the study of lower levels in order to better understand relationships at higher levels. Analysis of molecular interactions has been a spectacularly successful strategy in biology, but it is not ...
by Robert S. Doran, Efton Park
The first reduction is that by passing to the bidual we may assume that the algebra A is unital. The second reduction is that by cutting down to qAq, where q = P(1) (which one can show is a projection), we may further assume that P(1) = 1 (one ...
European Conference, Antwerp, Belgium, September 15-19, 2008, Proceedings by Walter Daelemans
Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction is an important issue in many machine learning areas where essentially low-dimensional data is nonlinearly embedded in some high-dimensional space. In this paper, we show that the existing Laplacian ...
Selected Papers from DaWaK 2013 by Abdelkader Hameurlain, Josef Küng, Roland Wagner, Ladjel Bellatreche, Mukesh Mohania
Dimensionality reduction is a crucial ingredient of machine learning and data mining, boosting classification accuracy...
factorization · Supervised dimensionality reduction 1 Introduction Dimensionality reduction is an important ingredient of ...
KES'2001 by Norio Baba, L. C. Jain, Robert J. Howlett
Dimensionality reduction is a way to overcome these problems. Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) are popular techniques for dimensionality reduction based on matrix decomposition, however they ...
by Vincent N. Parrillo
Harm reduction is a broad term applied to a variety of programs and policies, so there is no clear consensus on its meaning, although its aim is to reduce the adverse consequences of drug use and even of drug control policies. The term ...
Computer Aided Verification (2002)
14th International Conference, CAV 2002 Copenhagen, Denmark, July 27-31, 2002 Proceedings by Ed Brinksma, Kim G. Larsen
Symbolic Localization Reduction with Reconstruction Layering and Backtracking Sharon Barner, Daniel Geist and Anna Gringauze IBM Haifa Research Lab, Haifa Israel Abstract. Localization reduction is an abstraction-refinement scheme for ...
by W. Eric Wong, Tinghuai Ma
Bo Yang, Ming Xiang and Liuwu Shi Abstract Feature reduction is an important issue in pattern recognition.
Reduction is a reaction in which the negative valency of species is increased or the positive valency is decreased.
which results in the gain of one or more electrons by atoms or ions is called reduction or electronation (gain of electrons).
by Robert L. Heath
uncertainty reduction theory assumes people seek to reduce uncertainty about themselves and others in initial encounters. The extent of that drive is affected by how positive, negative, ...
Volume 37 - Pipeline Flow: Basics to Piping Design by John J. McKetta Jr
(see also Pipeline Design, Slurry Systems, Energy Reduction) Part A: The Basics ot Drag Reduction Drag reducing agents (DRA's) can substantially reduce friction loss in most pipelines when flowing most hydrocarbon liquids. This article is in ...
Smart Grid Dictionary Plus (2011)
by Christine Hertzog
Potential peak reduction The DR (Demand Reduction) that is possible during events that trigger requests to curtail load. It is not the actual peak reduction. For utilities, the calculation is the potential sum of the DR capability ...
by Gilbert Reyes, Jon D. Elhai, Julian D. Ford
Habituation involves a reduction in an unconditioned response (UCR) upon repeated presentation of an unconditioned stimulus (UCS). For example, habituation might involve a decrease in the startle response (UCR) when a loud noise ...
by William Nicholson
REDUCTION of metals, in chemistry. All metals, even the few that resist the action of heat and air, undergo a similar change when exposed to acids, especially the sulphuric, the nitric, and the muriatic, or a mixture of the two last. All metals, by ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
The reduction in brightness of ground vehicle lights by either reducing power or by screening in such a way that any visible light is limited in output. See also normal lighting. reduced operating ...
by K. Bradley Penuel, Matt Statler, Ryan Hagen
Together with other legislative and institutional developments, this ensures that disaster risk reduction is addressed comprehensively as a key development issue and not as a standalone emergency management eort. In the past four years ...
by Rayford Anthony
KLET2 Introduction to the Selective Catalytic Reduction Technology Introduction Overview The selective catalytic reduction tSCR) process has been originally developed for reducing ...
by Raymond Hickey
'Diphthong flattening'or'glide reduction' are terms used to refer to the lack of an upward glide withthe/ai/ diphthong (and in some few varieties with/au/ aswell), thatisfive /faiv/,hide /haid/ tendtoberealized as[faːv] and [ha:d] respectively in ...
by James M. Rippe, MD
The average reported acute postexercise reduction of blood pressure is 15/4 mm Hg in controlled settings and ~5/4 mm Hg in an ambulatory uncontrolled setting in hypertensive participants. The mechanisms contributing to this phenomenon ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reduction
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reduction
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: phunkstarr
Photo credit: dierk schaefer
taking the colour out of the flower, and reducing it to shape and texture.
Photo credit: AndyKowalik
Photo credit: benjaflynn
- Stress Reduction
Instructions on how to decrease Stress Reduction at an unknown location in Derbyshire. Photo Taken: 21/08/11
Photo credit: eamoncurry123
- Harm Reduction Fashion Show
Photo credit: Harm Reduction for Alcohol
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reduction
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition of Oxidation and Reduction
- Velashape II Cellulite Reduction Explanation & Demonstration at Winter Park Laser
Velashape II Cellulite Reduction treatments are the only treatment FDA approved to remove cellulite, tighten skin & reduce inches. This treatment is being ...
- Cayman Islands Cruise Berthing Facility - Dredge Reduction Explanation
This visual is used to explain how moving the proposed piers into deeper water will reduce the overall Dredge footprint and volume. It may be possible to move ...
- Interproximal Reduction - Ortho Update - Explanation of Case
Finished Interproximal Reduction and now ligature ties are back in. Here is the interproximal reductions...
- Reduction Meaning
Video shows what reduction means. The act, process, or result of reducing.. The amount or rate by which something is reduced, e.g. in price.. A reaction in which ...
- Tip #1 - Standard American Dialect/Accent Reduction - Donald The Dialect Coach
Donald teaches you the first step to doing the Standard American Dialect and Reducing your Accent. It's all about the resonance!
- Tip #2 - Standard American Dialect/Accent Reduction - Donald The Dialect Coach
How to be better understood while doing the Standard American Dialect.
- Video- Oxidation reduction definition
- 88 Definition and Reduction of Square Roots (6.1)
- Tip #3 - Standard American Dialect/Accent Reduction - Donald The Dialect Coach
How to use the "Soft R" in the Standard American Dialect.
- 06 Applying Fundamentalist Reduction to Meaning
Rationalism applies reduction to the mind. 'Churchland's Apple' - denying reality to subjective experience. Syntax rather than meaning. This film clip is part of an ...
- CLRA Group - Health Insurance Vocabulary - Cost Sharing Reduction
- American accent reduction Session 2+English Vocabulary
The lesson was filmed with the permission of a teacher from Arkansas State University. It is used for noncommercial purposes. Hope you will like it. This video is ...
- THEORY OF REDUCTION PROCESS(EXPLANATION)
On this channel you can get education and knowledge for general issues and topics.
- Brief explanation regarding oxidation and reduction
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = debt reduction
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = reduction of sentence
- Go Natural English - Free ESL Pronunciation & Accent Reduction Lesson - S Sounds
ESL TROUBLESHOOTING COURSE...
- Introduction to Neural Networks, Vector Reduction and Natural Language Processing
Full post and slides here: hakkalabs.co/introduction-neural-networks-vector-reduction-natural-language-processing.
- Accent Reduction, "Rules by the Sound" by ESL RULES
Here is a testimonial about the new on-line platform ( Rules by the Sound) developed by ESL Rules.
- Contractions/Reduction of verb TO BE
Teacher Laila's video classes.
- How To Reduce and Modify your Accent using ESL RULES "SYLLABLE REDUCTION"
How to Reduce and Modify your Accent using these Rules published by ESL RULES USA. Go to...
- REDUCTION OF NOUN CLAUSES - MyKelime.com
REDUCTION OF NOUN CLAUSES - MyKelime.com.
- Reduction of Adverb Clauses
- ESL Accent Reduction: Long Vowel Phonemes
A detailed explanation of the pronunciation of long vowel sounds (/ae/, /oa/, /ee/, /u/, /oo/, and /ie/). Phoneme symbols, possible spellings, and some examples ...
- ESL- Accent Reduction
- ESL Tip 1 Cheap accent reduction technique
- Adjective clauses reduction
- Accent Reduction Workshops and English Language Tutorials
Dean-Michael Lynn,ESL Teacher and Private Tutor, MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL), BS International Business. University ...
- S Z English accent reduction pronunciation intensive language training Madrid 312
View more videos about Tax Reduction, Beta Reduction, Price Reduction, Breast reduction, Reduction Division, Reduction in force, Carbothermal Reduction, Prolongational Reduction, Magnesiothermic Reduction, and Phenomenological Reduction.
See also the pronunciation examples of Reduction!
Quotes about Reduction
Perhaps the most important thing we can undertake toward the reduction of fear is to make it easier for people to accept themselves to like themselves. (Bonaro Overstreet)
more quotes about reduction...
Scrabble value of R1E1D2U1C3T1I1O1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REDUCTION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reduction!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reduction to see it in context!