The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb reflect:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb reflect
- Phrases with Reflect
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reflect
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reflect
- Photos about Reflect
- Video language resources about Reflect
- Quotes about Reflect
- Scrabble value of R1E1F4L1E1C3T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb reflect
What does reflect mean as a doing word?
Reflect is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: reflected | reflecting | reflects
- manifest or bring back
- reflect deeply on a subject
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of reflect: chew over / contemplate / excogitate / meditate / mull / mull over / muse / ponder / ruminate / speculate / think over
- more generic words: cerebrate / cogitate / think = use or exercise the mind or one's power of reason in order to make inferences, decisions, or arrive at a solution or judgments
- more specific words:
- premeditate = think or reflect beforehand or in advance
- theologise / theologize = make theoretical speculations about theology or discuss theological subjects
- introspect = reflect on one's own thoughts and feelings
- bethink = consider or ponder something carefully
- cogitate = consider carefully and deeply; reflect upon
- question / wonder = place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
- puzzle = be uncertain about
- consider / study = give careful consideration to
- to throw or bend back (from a surface)
- be bright by reflecting or casting light
- example: Drive carefully--the wet road reflects
- lexical domain: Weather - verbs of raining, snowing, thawing, thundering
- synonym of reflect: shine
- more generic terms: emit / give off / give out = give off, send forth, or discharge
- more specific words:
- show an image of
- give evidence of a certain behavior
- give evidence of the quality of
Alternative definition of the verb reflect
- [transitive] To bend back (light, etc.) from a surface.
- [transitive] To mirror, or show the image of something.
- [transitive] To agree with; to closely follow.
- [intransitive] To give evidence of someone's or something's character etc.
- [intransitive] To think seriously; to ponder or consider.
"Reflect" is a short film directed by Hsu Tsen-Chu.
- countries: Taiwan, United States of America
- producer: Hsu Tsen-Chu
- cinematography by Hsu Tsen-Chu & Brad Hoffarth
- edited by Hsu Tsen-Chu
- released in (6 years ago)
Phrases with Reflect
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reflect
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jonathan Tummons
REfLECT is an online portfolio that works in exactly the same way as (for example) a paperbased NVQ portfolio.
REflECT is a personal and secure application, and unless a tutor chooses to share documents or pages from it, whatever is ...
Logic from Computer Science (2012)
Proceedings of a Workshop held November 13–17, 1989 by Yiannis N. Moschovakis
Reflect is an acceptable ...
by Linda Manzanilla
What the exceptional evidence provided by the clay-sealings at Arslan- tepe does reflect is the presence of an administrative system that is almost identical in its basic structure to the Mesopotamian one, probably even in the details, but at the ...
The Secret Chain (1994)
Evolution and Ethics by Michael Bradie
the capacity to suffer, and that we are reflective. There may be other indispensable capacities as well but if any of these is missing then no moral behavior seems possible. The capacity to reflect is a function of the development of our brains.
Volume 23: Folk Art by Carol Crown, Cheryl Rivers, Charles Reagan Wilson
Recent stones engraved with footballs, dogs, or men fishing reflect regional interests while others engraved with portraits or prized possessions reflect a cult of the individual or even affirm the notion common to southern gothic fiction that the ...
by Charles Taylor
This is because the surface of the sea is in constant motion, and different parts of the surface reflect light at different angles. Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz (1853- 1928) used mathematics rather than experiments to investigate light.
by Phillip A. Laplante
line-reflect-match (LRM) calibration an error correction scheme (calibration) where the calibration standards used are a transmission line, a reflect load, and a matched load. Line- reflect- ...
A Corpus-Based Analysis of the Complementation Patterns of English Verbs, Nouns and Adjectives by Thomas Herbst, David Heath, Ian F. Roe, Dieter Götz
Watch light reflect and see how it can be made to go round corners while you make your own kaieidoscopc or periscope. B The pilot...
by James Stormonth
reflect, v ri.fiekl', to throw hack light, licat, Ac.; to meditate: reflecting, a.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reflect
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reflect
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Unyu
Photo credit: DaMongMan
Photo credit: M.J.H. photography
Photo credit: Carlos Gracia
Photo credit: andyarthur
Photo credit: MattJP
Photo credit: Beyond the Lens
Photo credit: Kalliop3
- Metal reflect
Photo credit: Sergio (avatareño mayor)
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reflect
Click on an item to play that video:
- Video Reflect Meaning
- Reflect Meaning
Video shows what reflect means. To bend back (light, etc.) from a surface.. To be bent back (light, etc.) from a surface.. To mirror, or show the image of something ...
- Decorating to Reflect the True Meaning of Christmas
Laura Derk has been creating decorative paper scrolls for over 20 years. See how her special Christmas designs add beauty and meaning to the Christmas tree.
- Lacey interview #8 reflect meaning
- Technospeak's Explanation of how to Update your iPad or iPhone to reflect changed in your C4 system
- Samegiela speakers of the Sami language reflect
- Syed Husin: Palace language must be reform to reflect democracy
Former PKR deputy president Syed Husin Ali wants the palace language to be reformed to reflect democracy as the current form can condition the populace to ...
- CNN: Jerusalem Language Deleted To Reflect Obama Policy
CNN: Jerusalem Language Deleted To Reflect Obama Policy.
- Reflect ESOL participatory approaches to language learning.
Justice for Domestic Workers (JfDW) use participatory approaches to write a newspaper article with the help of Reflect ESOL.
- Absorb and Reflect - Erbe-Verb meets Halls of Valhalla
First patch after installing the Make Noise Erbe-Verb module. Wanted to create a single voiced dark and dismal soundscape that brought together both the ...
- Macrium Reflect 5.3.7253 (link download is a description)
See also the pronunciation examples of Reflect!
Quotes about Reflect
When a man sees something desirable, he must reflect on the fact that with time it could come to involve what is detestable. When he sees something that is beneficial, he should reflect that sooner or later it, too, could come to involve harm. (Xun Zi)
more quotes about reflect...
Scrabble value of R1E1F4L1E1C3T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reflect to see it in context!