The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun reformer:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun reformer
- Phrases with Reformer
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reformer
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reformer
- Photos about Reformer
- Video language resources about Reformer
- Quotes about Reformer
- Scrabble value of R1E1F4O1R1M3E1R1
- Anagrams of REFORMER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reformer
What does reformer mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- reformer: reformers
- Reformer: Reformers
- a disputant who advocates reform
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of reformer: crusader / meliorist / reformist / social reformer
- more generic words: controversialist / disputant / eristic = a person who disputes
- more specific terms:
- emancipationist / abolitionist = a reformer who favors abolishing slavery
- birth-control campaigner / birth-control reformer = a social reformer who advocates birth control and family planning
- Chartist = a 19th century English reformer who advocated better social and economic conditions for working people
- civil rights activist / civil rights leader / civil rights worker = a leader of the political movement dedicated to securing equal opportunity for members of minority groups
- demonstrator / protester = someone who participates in a public display of group feeling
- prohibitionist / dry = a reformer who opposes the use of intoxicating beverages
- environmentalist / conservationist = someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution
- women's liberationist / women's rightist / feminist / libber = a supporter of feminism
- flower child / hipster / hippie / hippy = someone who rejects the established culture
- freedom fighter / insurrectionist / insurgent / rebel = a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority
- activist / militant = a militant reformer
- passive resister / non-resistant = a reformer who believes in passive resistance
- preservationist = someone who advocates the preservation of historical sites or endangered species or natural areas
- Utopian = an idealistic (but usually impractical) social reformer
- Anthony Comstock / Comstock = United States reformer who led moral crusades against art and literature that he considered obscene
- Dorothea Lynde Dix / Dorothea Dix / Dix = United States social reformer who pioneered in the reform of prisons and in the treatment of the mentally ill
- John Huss / Jan Hus / Huss / Hus = Czechoslovakian religious reformer who anticipated the Reformation; he questioned the infallibility of the Catholic Church was excommunicated (1409) for attacking the corruption of the clergy
- Robert Owen / Owen = Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities
- Girolamo Savonarola / Savonarola = Italian religious and political reformer; a Dominican friar in Florence who preached against sin and corruption and gained a large following
- Francis Everett Townsend / Townsend = United States social reformer who proposed an old-age pension sponsored by the federal government
- John Wilkes / Wilkes = English reformer who published attacks on George III and supported the rights of the American colonists
- an apparatus that reforms the molecular structure of hydrocarbons to produce richer fuel
Alternative definition of the noun reformer
- One who reforms, or who works for reform.
- [history] One who was involved in the Reformation.
- [chemical engineering, fuel cells] A device which converts hydrocarbons into a hydrogen-rich mixture of gases.
- [chemical engineering, petrochemistry] A device used to convert petroleum refinery naphthas, typically having low octane ratings, into high-octane liquid products called reformates.
Phrases with Reformer
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reformer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
In Pursuit of American Liberty by Nicholas Buccola
The Reformer is the embodiment of what Douglass called “true virtue.” “Every well-formed...
The Fortnightly (1897)
The reformer is the man who feels the restraint which some worn-out form or institution — the old clothes of our civilisation...
The Fortnightly Review (1897)
The reformer is the man who feels the restraint which Some worn-out form or institution—the old clothes of our civilisation...
Methane and its Derivatives (1996)
by Sunggyu Lee
The product gas from the primary reformer is a mixture of H2, CO, CO2, unreacted CH4, and steam. The main reforming...
The main reaction occurring in the secondary reformer is the partial oxidation of methane with a limited amount of air.
How to Live Simply and Love Extravagantly by Tri Robinson
A reformer is an agent of social change, a person who will never be satisfied with a complacent status quo society that's destined for destruction. A reformer is a fighter who has the heart of a Spirit-filled warrior. They are not overwhelmed with ...
Mixer and Server (1915)
The professional Prohibitionist and paid reformer is a greater menace to the peace, welfare and prosperity of society than is the open saloon. Intemperance is an evil and the professional Prohibitionist and paid reformer is a nuisance.
by Kimball Young
The reformer is a common type in a liberal ...
30th Fuel Cell Seminar (2007)
by M. C. Williams
A reformer is a significant part of balance of plants (BOP) in the SOFC system. Predicting reformer performance and designing appropriate reformer configuration are important to obtain high system performance. A low pressure drop at a ...
The Fra (1915)
For Philistines and Roycrofters by Elbert Hubbard, Felix Shay
The professional Prohibitionist and paid reformer is a greater menace to the peace, welfare and prosperity of society than is the open saloon. Intemperance is an evil, and the professional Prohibitionist and paid reformer is intemperate.
by Joshua William Brooks
Brentius, John, Reformer. Cajetan, Cardinal. Calvin, John, Reformer. Clapham. Rev. S. Vicar of Bingley. Cyril, Bishop of Alexandria. Drusius , John. Geddes, Alex. L.L.D. Rom. Cath. Hamelmanne, Herm. Lutheran. Hieronymus.
by Douglas A. Foster
The Ecclesiastic Reformer billed itself as a periodical "devoted to practical piety." The editors were also keen supporters of the cooperation movement and devoted many pages to recording in great detail the development of national and ...
by Sunggyu Lee
exchange reformer in combination with autothermal reforming.'' ' This combination also reduces the required amount of oxygen by 5-10% as compared to auto- thermal reforming alone. A typical layout of the steam-reforming section of a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reformer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reformer
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Reformer's Tree
If you use this photo, please link to...
Photo credit: CGP Grey
- Reformer Pilates Photography - Abs Exercise
Free Creative Commons stock photo of a male performing abs exercises on a Reformer Pilates bed - black and white photo.
If you use this image, please credit...
Photo credit: runwaypilates
- Reformer Pilates Photography - Reformer Bed
Free Creative Commons stock photo of a studio with Reformer Pilates beds - colour photo.
If you use this image, please credit...
Photo credit: runwaypilates
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reformer
Click on an item to play that video:
View more videos about Catalytic Reformer.
See also the pronunciation examples of Reformer!
Quotes about Reformer
Scrabble value of R1E1F4O1R1M3E1R1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REFORMER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reformer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reformer to see it in context!