On this page:
- Definition of the noun reggae
- Phrases with Reggae
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reggae
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reggae
- Photos about Reggae
- Video language resources about Reggae
- Quotes about Reggae
- Scrabble value of R1E1G2G2A1E1
- Anagrams of REGGAE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reggae
What does reggae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: reggaes
- popular music originating in the West Indies; repetitive bass riffs and regular chords played on the off beat by a guitar
Alternative definition of the noun reggae
- [rasta, music] A form of music originating in Jamaica and associated with Rastafarianism, featuring a heavy bass line, percussive rhythm guitar on the offbeat, often with close vocal harmonies.
Who is Reggae?
Reggae a.k.a. Maxxo est un auteur-compositeur-interprète français de reggae, originaire de Mâcon.
- read more about Maxxo (musical artist)
- Reggae is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1960s. While sometimes used in a broad sense to refer to most types of popular Jamaican dance music, the term reggae more properly denotes a particular music style that was strongly influenced by traditional mento and calypso music, as well as American jazz and rhythm and blues, and evolved out of the earlier genres ska and rocksteady.
- Reggae a.k.a. Reggae on the River is a reggae festival that is held annually on the first weekend in August in Humboldt County, California. It began in 1983 as a benefit for the Mateel Community Center, a nonprofit for southern Humboldt County. In that year the center's community hall in Garberville was burned down by an arsonist, and the center charged then-board member Carol Bruno with organizing the festival to raise money for a new hall. It was held at French's Camp every year until 2006 when financial issues forced the festival to be relocated in subsequent years.
- read more about Reggae on the River
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Aquarium.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a 1995 compilation album by Bob Marley & The Wailers.
- artist: Bob Marley & The Wailers
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Georges Thurston.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Herbie Mann.
- released in (41 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a composition.
Phrases with Reggae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reggae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Party Music (2013)
The Inside Story of the Black Panthers' Band and How Black Power Transformed Soul Music by Rickey Vincent
Reggae is an amalgam of Western pop melodies and harmonies performed over traditional...
“Reggae is a concept of all different types of music,” Barrett continues. “You got funk, you got rhythm and ...
A Language of Song (2009)
Journeys in the Musical World of the African Diaspora by Samuel Charters
Any passenger would do, but 10 Reggae Is a New Bag Kingston Streets, Kingston Nights.
by Norman Abjorensen
Reggae, Ska Augustyn, Heather. Ska: The Rhythm of Liberation. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow, 2013. Barrow, Steve, and Peter Dalton. The Rough Guide to Reggae, 3rd ed. London: Rough Guides ...
by Colin Larkin
Rebel Music Bob Marley And Roots Reggae, Kate Simon. Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley, Christopher John Farley. Marley, Damian b. Damian Breakspeare, 21 July 1978, Kingston, Jamaica. Breakspeare's mother Cindy came to ...
Origins, Experiences, and Culture. A-C. Volume 1
Reggae. “A type of music developed in Jamaica about 1964, based on Ska usually having a heavy four-beat rhythm, using the bass, electric guitar, and drum , with the scraper coming in at the end of the measure and acting as accompaniment ...
by Peter Childs, Michael Storry
reggae and Bob Marley (the original Wailers), Desmond Dekker, Sharon Forrester, The Aces, Errol Dunkley, Gene Rondo and many more followed this route. The first British-based reggae band to emerge was Matumbi, founded in 1972.
Hippie Dictionary (2013)
A Cultural Encyclopedia of the 1960s and 1970s by John Bassett Mccleary
” Bob Marley reggae n., adj. a form of music from Jamaica. The word seems to have come Reich, Wilhelm 431 from the term ragged or ragamuffin (a ragged person), which became ragged music, then reggae ...
VolumeII: Performance and Production by John Shepherd
ALYN SHIPTON Versioning The practise of versioning, in one form or another, lies at the heart of reggae.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reggae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reggae
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: spantil
Photo credit: Daquella manera
Royal Carribbean bandsman
Photo credit: Woody H1
Photo credit: ASA 100
- Reggae Bar.
Photo credit: silverfox09
- Reggae vinyl
Listen Bob Marley & The Wailers - Uprising (full album)...
Photo credit: sebilden
- Reggae Dog
Photo credit: mithrandir77
- Dub Reggae
Coloured 7" Vinyl singles
Photo credit: Ben Wightman
- Studio 1 Reggae producer
Photo credit: a trying youth
- Reggae singer in Amsterdam
Photo credit: david.orban
- Reggae Lion
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
- Backstage at Reggae Rising
Such a cozy zone to be a part of.....with hammocks, hibiscus tea, snacks and prayer flags
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reggae
Click on an item to play that video:
- Reggae meaning and pronunciation
Reggae is a music genre first developed in Jamaica in the late 1960s. While sometimes used in a broader sense to refer to most types of Jamaican music, the ...
- Meaning Of Christmas - Gardiner, Boris (Christmas Reggae)
- Reggae meaning by Jacob
- Reggae Meaning
Video shows what reggae means. A form of music originating in Jamaica and associated with Rastafarianism, featuring a heavy bass line, percussive rhythm ...
- Definition Of Reggae
Definition: A style of popular music with a strongly accented subsidiary beat, originating in Jamaica. It evolved in the late 1960s from ska and other local ...
- Nicious interview 7 Your definition of Reggae
- The Patwa Reggae Band - The Meaning of Patwa (Patois)
Well, what does patwa mean anyway?
- The Dubmaschines - The Definition [Reggae]
The Dubmaschines's new single The Definition with a promo sample. Buy this Reggae record at: iTunes: ...
- PROPHET 21 - NEW KINGDOM REGGAE VIBES - UNKNOWN LANGUAGE
- ESL Music Bob Marley and Reggae
To join a class...
See also the pronunciation examples of Reggae!
Quotes about Reggae
I can put a hip-hop beat to reggae. That is, I can have real reggae in the drums and in the rhythm, and on top of it I can put The Rolling Stones' feeling, anyone's feeling on top. Nobody has ever done this before, man. (Ike Turner)
more quotes about reggae...
Scrabble value of R1E1G2G2A1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the second edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REGGAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reggae!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reggae to see it in context!