On this page:
- Definition of the noun reggae
- Phrases with Reggae
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reggae
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reggae
- Photos about Reggae
- Video language resources about Reggae
- Quotes about Reggae
- Scrabble value of R1E1G2G2A1E1
- Anagrams of REGGAE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reggae
What does reggae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: reggaes
- popular music originating in the West Indies; repetitive bass riffs and regular chords played on the off beat by a guitar
Alternative definition of the noun reggae
- [rasta, music] A form of music originating in Jamaica and associated with Rastafarianism, featuring a heavy bass line, percussive rhythm guitar on the offbeat, often with close vocal harmonies.
Who is Reggae?
Reggae a.k.a. Maxxo est un auteur-compositeur-interprète français de reggae, originaire de Mâcon.
- read more about Maxxo (musical artist)
- Reggae is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1960s. While sometimes used in a broad sense to refer to most types of popular Jamaican dance music, the term reggae more properly denotes a particular music style that was strongly influenced by traditional mento and calypso music, as well as American jazz and rhythm and blues, and evolved out of the earlier genres ska and rocksteady.
- Reggae a.k.a. Reggae on the River is a reggae festival that is held annually on the first weekend in August in Humboldt County, California. It began in 1983 as a benefit for the Mateel Community Center, a nonprofit for southern Humboldt County. In that year the center's community hall in Garberville was burned down by an arsonist, and the center charged then-board member Carol Bruno with organizing the festival to raise money for a new hall. It was held at French's Camp every year until 2006 when financial issues forced the festival to be relocated in subsequent years.
- read more about Reggae on the River
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Aquarium.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a 1995 compilation album by Bob Marley & The Wailers.
- artist: Bob Marley & The Wailers
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Georges Thurston.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a musical album of Herbie Mann.
- released in (41 years ago)
- "Reggae" is a composition.
Phrases with Reggae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reggae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Party Music (2013)
The Inside Story of the Black Panthers' Band and How Black Power Transformed Soul Music by Rickey Vincent
Reggae is an amalgam of Western pop melodies and harmonies performed over traditional...
“Reggae is a concept of all different types of music,” Barrett continues. “You got funk, you got rhythm and ...
Six Names of Beauty (2013)
by Crispin Sartwell
” But the progression from ska to reggae is a serial divestiture of influences and adornments, intended to leave nothing but the repetitive ...
Teaching Caribbean Poetry (2013)
by Beverley Bryan, Morag Styles
Reggae is a later instrument of resistance, which the distin- guished poet and scholar Kwame Dawes refers to as 'the aesthetic which has come to shape the creative context for much of the writing that has emerged out of the Caribbean in the ...
by Lonely Planet, Ryan Ver Berkmoes, Michael Grosberg, Tom Masters, Emily Matchar, Brandon Presser, Brendan Sainsbury, Andrea Schulte-Peevers, Polly Thomas, Karla Zimmerman
Reggae is the heartbeat of Jamaica, and it is as strongly identified with the island as RB is with Detroit or jazz with New Orleans. But reggae is actually only one of several distinctly Jamaican sounds, and the nation's musical heritage runs ...
Sentence-Combining Workbook (2013)
by Pam Altman, Mari Caro, Lisa Metge-Egan, Leslie Roberts
Reggae is any song by Bob Marley. 5. Soft rock is supposed to attract people like Walter. Copyright 2012 Cengage Learning. All Rights Reserved. May not be copied, scanned, or duplicated, in whole or in part. Unit Twelve Modifying Nouns ...
A Language of Song (2009)
Journeys in the Musical World of the African Diaspora by Samuel Charters
Any passenger would do, but 10 Reggae Is a New Bag Kingston Streets, Kingston Nights.
Pouring out of buses, shops, and bars, Jamaican reggae is a constant soundtrack, while soca provides the pulsing backbeat to the many annual carnivals. Sunsets, too, would not ...
All Music Guide (2001)
The Definitive Guide to Popular Music by Vladimir Bogdanov, Chris Woodstra, Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Reggae is a music that is built on subtle differentiation (or, as philistines and Babylonians might say, it all lends to sound the same), and that means that it's important to sow a little variety wherever you can. It's also true that the group's spiritual ...
Hippie Dictionary (2013)
A Cultural Encyclopedia of the 1960s and 1970s by John Bassett Mccleary
” Bob Marley reggae n., adj. a form of music from Jamaica. The word seems to have come Reich, Wilhelm 431 from the term ragged or ragamuffin (a ragged person), which became ragged music, then reggae ...
Drum Set Styles Encyclopedia (2010)
by John Thomakos
Reggae. Toward the late 1960s, multi-track recording had made its way to Jamaica. Creativity through the use of the multi-track recorder and sound effects influenced and inspired producers and other musicians to experiment — changing ...
by Thomas Herbst, Kerstin Popp
Reggae The best way to understand reggae is to hear some. Bob Marley singing "No Woman No Cry" will do the trick better than any definition. Such auditory Illustration is in fact possible in multi-media computerised reference works.
by Alan Bullock
REGGAE The discipline of sociology is itself a social institution, and sociological theories provide many of the terms in which social phenomena are understood and acted upon. This contrasts with physical sciences, where it is axiomatic that ...
Encyclopedia of Percussion (2013)
by John H. Beck
Samba Reggae Samba reggae is a musical style that has emerged from the blocos afro (Afro-Brazilian-themed groups) that...
afro Olodum introduced a hybrid rhythm that drew upon a pan-African ideology influenced by Jamaican reggae.
by Colin Larkin
Rebel Music Bob Marley And Roots Reggae, Kate Simon. Before The Legend: The Rise Of Bob Marley, Christopher John Farley. Marley, Damian b. Damian Breakspeare, 21 July 1978, Kingston, Jamaica. Breakspeare's mother Cindy came to ...
by Peter Childs, Michael Storry
reggae and Bob Marley (the original Wailers), Desmond Dekker, Sharon Forrester, The Aces, Errol Dunkley, Gene Rondo and many more followed this route. The first British-based reggae band to emerge was Matumbi, founded in 1972.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reggae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reggae
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Daquella manera
Photo credit: ASA 100
Photo credit: spantil
Royal Carribbean bandsman
Photo credit: Woody H1
- Dub Reggae
Coloured 7" Vinyl singles
Photo credit: Ben Wightman
- Reggae vinyl
Listen Bob Marley & The Wailers - Uprising (full album)...
Photo credit: sebilden
- Studio 1 Reggae producer
Photo credit: a trying youth
- Reggae Bar.
Photo credit: silverfox09
- Reggae, Lanciano
Photo credit: cathywilson35
- Reggae Lion
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
- Reggae Dog
Photo credit: mithrandir77
- Backstage at Reggae Rising
Such a cozy zone to be a part of.....with hammocks, hibiscus tea, snacks and prayer flags
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
- Reggae singer in Amsterdam
Photo credit: david.orban
- Backstage Bar at Reggae Rising
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
- Reggae Rising 2007 Mural Complete
Here are the artists
Photo credit: lostintheredwoods
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reggae
Click on an item to play that video:
- Reggae meaning and pronunciation
Reggae is a music genre first developed in Jamaica in the late 1960s. While sometimes used in a broader sense to refer to most types of Jamaican music, the ...
- Meaning Of Christmas - Gardiner, Boris (Christmas Reggae)
- Reggae meaning by Jacob
- Reggae Meaning
Video shows what reggae means. A form of music originating in Jamaica and associated with Rastafarianism, featuring a heavy bass line, percussive rhythm ...
- Definition Of Reggae
Definition: A style of popular music with a strongly accented subsidiary beat, originating in Jamaica. It evolved in the late 1960s from ska and other local ...
- Nicious interview 7 Your definition of Reggae
- The Patwa Reggae Band - The Meaning of Patwa (Patois)
Well, what does patwa mean anyway?
- The Dubmaschines - The Definition [Reggae]
The Dubmaschines's new single The Definition with a promo sample. Buy this Reggae record at: iTunes: ...
- PROPHET 21 - NEW KINGDOM REGGAE VIBES - UNKNOWN LANGUAGE
- ESL Music Bob Marley and Reggae
To join a class...
See also the pronunciation examples of Reggae!
Quotes about Reggae
While growing up in Birmingham around a lot of West Indian people, reggae and calypso were big influences early on but Otis Redding was the one person who made me wanna sing myself. (Roland Gift)
more quotes about reggae...
Scrabble value of R1E1G2G2A1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the second edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REGGAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reggae!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reggae to see it in context!