The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun regression:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun regression
- Phrases with Regression
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Regression
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Regression
- Photos about Regression
- Video language resources about Regression
- Quotes about Regression
- Scrabble value of R1E1G2R1E1S1S1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun regression
What does regression mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: regressions
- an abnormal state in which development has stopped prematurely
- (psychiatry) a defense mechanism in which you flee from reality by assuming a more infantile state
- domain: psychiatry / psychological medicine / psychopathology
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- more generic terms: defence / defence mechanism / defence reaction / defense / defense mechanism / defense reaction = an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
- the relation between selected values of x and observed values of y (from which the most probable value of y can be predicted for any value of x)
- domain: statistics
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of regression: regression toward the mean / simple regression / statistical regression
- more generic terms: statistical method / statistical procedure = a method of analyzing or representing statistical data
- more specific terms:
- part of: regression analysis = the use of regression to make quantitative predictions of one variable from the values of another
- returning to a former state
Alternative definition of the noun regression
- An action of regressing, a return to a previous state.
- antonym: progression
- [psychotherapy] A psychotherapeutic method whereby healing is facilitated by inducing the patient to act out behaviour typical of an earlier developmental stage.
- [statistics] An analytic method to measure the association of one or more independent variables with a dependent variable.
- [statistics] An equation using specified and associated data for two or more variables such that one variable can be estimated from the remaining variable(s).
- [programming] The reappearance of a bug in a piece of software that had previously been fixed.
- "Regression" is a film, written and directed by Alejandro Amenábar.
- countries: United States of America, Spain
- language: English Language
- producers: Alejandro Amenábar, Fernando Bovaira, Christina Piovesan
- executive producers: Gabriel Arias-Salgado, Simón de Santiago, Axel Kuschevatzky & Alex Lalonde
- production design by Carol Spier
- art direction by Elinor Rose Galbraith
- Emma Watson as Angela Gray
- Ethan Hawke as Bruce Kenner
- Devon Bostick as Roy Gray
- Aaron Ashmore
- David Thewlis as Professor Kenneth Raines
- Dale Dickey as Rose Gray
- Adam Butcher as Brody
- Aaron Abrams as Farrell
- Kristian Bruun as Andrew
- Maura Grierson as TV Reporter #1
- David Dencik as John Gray
- Lothaire Bluteau as Reverend Murray
- Goran Stjepanovic
- Matija Matovic Mondi
- Janet Porter as S. Cooper
- casting by Jason Knight
- cinematography by Daniel Aranyo
- costume design by Sonia Grande
- genre: Thriller
- "Regression" is a 2011 short comedy film written by Timothy M. Brice and Robert E. Popa, and directed by Robert E. Popa.
- also known as Regresie
- country: Romania
- language: Romanian Language
- producer: Viorel Sergovici
- executive producer: Robert E. Popa
- production design by Mihai Dorobantu
- written by Timothy M. Brice & Robert E. Popa
- Dorian Boguţă as Ciprian Dragulescu
- Michel Horatiu Bob as Francois Duclerc
- Irina Ghinea Enache as Delia Dragulescu
- Peter Meech as Mr. Walt
- Valentin Popescu as Fost Secu 2
- Malina Tomoioaga as Veronica
- Claudiu Trandafir as Mr. Kelly
- Alexandru Georgescu as Psiholog Comisie
- Geo Dobre as Sef Comisie
- Florentina Dumitru as Bollywood Dancer
- cinematography by Viorel Sergovici
- edited by Bogdan Albu, Cody Cristian, Ovidiu Văcaru
- music by Tibi Topor
- costume design by Oana Draghici
- genre: Comedy
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Regression" is a short film.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- "Regression" on thrash metal -yhtye The Macheten 24. elokuuta 2005 julkaistu debyyttialbumi. Koska basisti Antti Vajantoa ei ollut vielä levyn äänitysten alkuun mennessä kiinnitetty yhtyeeseen, kitaristi Santtu Hämäläinen soitti levylle bassoraidat.
- artist: The Machete
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Regression" is a musical album of Manufactura.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Regression" is a musical album of Hybrid Viscery.
- "Regression" is a musical EP of Anakronis.
- "Regression" is a musical album of Nate Young.
- released in (6 years ago)
- Regression in medicine is a characteristic of diseases to show lighter symptoms without completely disappearing. At a later point, symptoms may return. These symptoms are then called recidive.
- Regression is a canonical version, musical recording.
- Regression: Return to a former state; a subsidence of the symptoms of a disease process; in cancer, a decrease in the size of a tumor or in the extent of cancer in the body.
Phrases with Regression
Phrases starting with the word Regression:
- regression line
- Regression Tree
- regression curve
- regression analysis
- regression equation
- regression of y on x
- regression coefficient
- Regression to the Mean
- regression toward the mean
Phrases ending with the word Regression:
- linear regression
- simple regression
- multiple regression
- curvilinear regression
- rectilinear regression
- statistical regression
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Regression
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Policing for London (2013)
by Marian FitzGerald, Mike Hough, Professor of Social Policy Mike Hough, Ian Joseph, Tariq Qureshi
Logistic regression is a well established technique in social research and has been used extensively in other...
Logistic regression means that one can assess whether income has a correlation – and by implication a causal link – with...
Ordinal regression is an allied technique, appropriate for predicting who is likely to have had no contact with the police, for example, a little contact or a lot of contact.
Data Mining Models (2016)
by David Olson
Regression is a basic statistical tool. In data mining, it is one of the basic tools for analysis used in the classification applications through logistic regression and discriminant analysis, as well as the prediction of continuous data through ...
Machine Learning with Spark (2015)
by Nick Pentreath
Logistic regression is a probabilistic model—that is, its predictions are bounded between 0 and 1, and for binary...
As mentioned earlier, the link function used in logistic regression is the logit link: 1/(1 + exp(-wTx)) The related loss function for ...
Discovering, Analyzing, Visualizing and Presenting Data by EMC Education Services
Linear regression is a useful tool for answering the first question, and logistic regression is a popular method for addressing...
by Hamid Mirzaei, Martin Carrasco
Logistic regression is the method used when the outcome is a “yes/no” response versus a continuous one.
by Teela Sanders
Logistic regression is a way of calculating the conditional probability of recidivism 'given' a certain value of the predictor variable, or in our case, the actuarial score [ p(у|χ)] wherein χ is the actuarial score. Logistic regression analysis provides ...
by David L. Olson, Desheng Wu
Regression is a fundamental tool for statistical analysis to characterize relationships between a dependent variable and...
OLS regression is the straight line (with intercept and slope coefficients βn) which minimizes the sum of squared error ...
Tech Stock Valuation (2003)
Investor Psychology and Economic Analysis by Mark Hirschey
in the dividend payout ratio regression means that the median industry- adjusted level is 0.125% higher for adopting versus nonadopting firms in the postadoption period.
Analyzing Quantitative Data (2003)
From Description to Explanation by Norman Blaikie
Regression. Of all the methods available in the social sciences for multivariate explanatory analysis, multiple regression is the most widely used.12 Multiple regression is a method for analyzing the relationship ...
by J. Candell-Riera, D. Ortega-Alcalde
Logistic regression is an analysis method that originated in epidemiological studies, although at present it ...
by Randal Wilson, Arthur V. Hill, Hillel Glazer
Linear regression is a powerful tool for both forecasting and understanding the relationships between two or more variables. Linear regression fits a linear equation to a set of historical data points to minimize the sum of the squared errors ...
Data Mining Algorithms (2015)
Explained Using R by Pawel Cichosz
Parametric regression is the most direct instantiation of the idea of a parametric model representation, in which the model is represented by a finite number of parameters with a fixed functional form assumed. This is also the most frequently ...
Keeping Up with the Quants (2013)
Your Guide to Understanding and Using Analytics by Thomas H. Davenport, Jinho Kim
More than two numerical data variables: Extending correlation analysis beyond two variables with numerical variables is called regression analysis—sometimes multiple regression(be- cause you are using multiple variables to explain the ...
Probability and Statistics (2016)
Statistics, Statistics by CTI Reviews
Linear regression Quantile-Quantile Plot Relative efficiency In statistics, linear regression is an approach to modeling the...
by Yadolah Dodge
regression . regression quantile regression This term was originally used by Galton to indicate certain relationships in the study of heredity but it has come to mean the statistical method developed to investigate those relationships. If a variable ...
by Abhaya Indrayan, Martin P. Holt
regression coefficient, sk is the SD of xk, and sy is the SD of the dependent y. When there is only one regressor (simple linear regression), the standardized regression coefficient is the same as the ...
The Freud Encyclopedia (2002)
Theory, Therapy, and Culture by Edward Erwin
EDITH KURZWEIL Regression The word "regression" is defined in the following ways by the Oxford English Dictionary (1971): the act of going back; a return or withdrawal to the place of origin; a previous state or condition; back in thought from ...
A Dictionary of Archaeology (2008)
by Ian Shaw, Robert Jameson
Figure 44 regression analysis Graphs showing (A) best-fit linear regression line for the decrease in Oxford pottery with increasing distance from the kilns ( the dotted line shows the decrease in New Forest Pottery away from the New Forest ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Regression
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Regression
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Regression
Click on an item to play that video:
- Regression - meaning of a & b in y=a+bx : ExamSolutions Maths Revision
- Simplest Explanation of the Standard Errors of Regression Coefficients - Statistics Help
A simple tutorial explaining the standard errors of regression coefficients. This is a step-by-step explanation of the meaning and importance of the standard error.
- Tiger Fresh - Slang Regression
Loving this track, it is a free download through DoAndroidsDance. Snag Here...
- Regression Meaning
Video shows what regression means. An action of regressing, a return to a previous state.. A psychotherapeutic method whereby healing is facilitated by ...
- Regression Model Explanation
ALL about regression model , what , why ,types , importance, advantages, disadvantages, limaitations , properties etc.
- Regression Tests - CheckOut2 - Input Definition
- Correl Coeff Definition and Properties of Regression
Learn about the Correl Coeff definition and properties of regression.
- Foreign Language Regression
- Max Ridgway Trio: "Artificial Regression Language"
See also the pronunciation examples of Regression!
Quotes about Regression
But it is possible that, in the days ahead, these years we have lived through may eventually be thought of simply as a period of disturbance and regression. (Hjalmar Branting)
more quotes about regression...
Scrabble value of R1E1G2R1E1S1S1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine