The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun relation:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun relation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun relation
- Phrases with Relation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Relation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Relation
- Photos about Relation
- Video language resources about Relation
- Quotes about Relation
- Scrabble value of R1E1L1A1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of RELATION
- Share this page
Definition of the noun relation
What does relation mean as a name of something?
Relation is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: relations
- an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of two entities or parts together
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- more generic terms: abstract entity / abstraction = a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples
- more specific terms:
- possession = anything owned or possessed
- social relation = a relation between living organisms
- spatial relation / position = the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated
- ownership = the relation of an owner to the thing possessed
- causality = the relation between causes and effects
- human relationship / relationship = a relation between people
- function = a relation such that one thing is dependent on another
- association = a relation resulting from interaction or dependence
- logical relation = a relation between propositions
- mathematical relation = a relation between mathematical expressions
- foundation = the basis on which something is grounded
- connectedness / connection / connexion = a relation between things or events
- unconnectedness = the lack of a connection between things
- linguistic relation = a relation between linguistic forms or constituents
- component part / constituent / component / portion / part = something determined in relation to something that includes it
- affinity / kinship = a close connection marked by community of interests or similarity in nature or character
- family relationship / relationship / kinship = relatedness or connection by blood or marriage or adoption
- quantitative relation / magnitude relation = a relation between magnitudes
- control = a relation of constraint of one entity (thing or person or group) by another
- business relation = a relation between different business enterprises
- reciprocality / reciprocity = a relation of mutual dependence or action or influence
- interrelationship / interrelatedness / interrelation = mutual or reciprocal relation or relatedness
- temporal relation = a relation involving time
- comparison = relation based on similarities and differences
- oppositeness / opposition = the relation between opposed entities
- change = a relational difference between states
- sexual activity between individuals, especially the insertion of a man's penis into a woman's vagina until orgasm and ejaculation occur
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of relation: carnal knowledge / coition / coitus / copulation / intercourse / sex act / sexual congress / sexual intercourse / sexual relation
- more generic terms: sex / sex activity / sexual activity / sexual practice = activities associated with sexual intercourse
- more specific terms:
- defloration = the act of depriving a woman of her virginity
- roll in the hay / piece of tail / piece of ass / screwing / fucking / nookie / nooky / screw / shtup / fuck / shag / ass = slang for sexual intercourse
- hank panky = illicit sexual intercourse
- penetration = the act (by a man) of inserting his penis into the vagina of a woman
- unlawful carnal knowledge / criminal congress = forbidden or tabu sexual intercourse between individuals
- part: insemination = the introduction of semen into the genital tract of a female
- a person related by blood or marriage
- example: he has distant relations back in New Jersey
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of relation: relative
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- antecedent / ascendant / ascendent / ancestor / root = someone from whom you are descended
- cousin-german / first cousin / full cousin / cousin = the child of your aunt or uncle
- descendant / descendent = a person considered as descended from some ancestor
- relative-in-law / in-law = a relative by marriage
- blood relation / blood relative / cognate / sib = one related by blood or origin
- kinsperson / family / kin = a person having kinship with another or others
- matrilineal kin / matrilineal sib / matrikin / matrisib / enate = one related on the mother's side
- patrilineal kin / patrilineal sib / patrikin / patrisib / agnate = one related on the father's side
- kinsman = a male relative
- kinswoman = a female relative
- kissing cousin / kissing kin = a more or less distant relative
- next of kin = the person who is (or persons who are) most closely related to a given person
- offspring / progeny / issue = the immediate descendants of a person
- second cousin = a child of one's parents' cousin
- sibling / sib = a person's brother or sister
- married person / better half / partner / spouse / mate = a person's partner in marriage
- member of: clan / kin / kin group / kindred / kinship group / tribe = group of people related by blood or marriage
- an act of narration
- example: he was the hero according to his own relation
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of relation: recounting / telling
- more generic words: narration / recital / yarn = the act of giving an account describing incidents or a course of events
- (law) the principle that an act done at a later time is deemed by law to have occurred at an earlier time
- example: his attorney argued for the relation back of the amended complaint to the time the initial complaint was filed
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of relation: relation back
- more generic terms: judicial doctrine / judicial principle / legal principle = a principle underlying the formulation of jurisprudence
- (usually plural) mutual dealings or connections among persons or groups
"Relation" a.k.a. "Bandhan" is a 1969Hindi film directed by Narendra Bedi and starring Rajesh Khanna and Mumtaz in the lead roles. This is the second straight movie with Rajesh and Mumtaz together in the lead roles. This film had a gross of 2,80,00,000 at the box office in 1969. Khanna's songs were performed by playback singer Mahendra Kapoor.
- read more about Bandhan
"Relation" is a book by Diane Ward.
- "Relation" is a musical album of Globe.
- released on (16 years ago)
- "relation" is a musical album of Ayahi Takagaki.
- released on
- Relation: In relational database theory, a relation, as originally defined by E. F. Codd, is a set of tuples, where each element dⱼ is a member of Dⱼ, a data domain. Codd's original definition notwithstanding, and contrary to the usual definition in mathematics, there is no ordering to the elements of the tuples of a relation. Instead, each element is termed an attribute value. An attribute is a name paired with a domain. An attribute value is an attribute name paired with an element of that attribute's domain, and a tuple is a set of attribute values in which no two distinct elements have the same name. Thus, in some accounts, a tuple is described as a function, mapping names to values.
- also known as 关系
- Relation a.k.a. Finitary relation: In mathematics, a finitary relation has a finite number of "places". In set theory and logic, a relation is a property that assigns truth values to -tuples of individuals. Typically, the property describes a possible connection between the components of a -tuple. For a given set of -tuples, a truth value is assigned to each -tuple according to whether the property does or does not hold.
- read more about Finitary relation
- Relation: The concept of relation as a term used in general philosophy has a long and complicated history. One of the interests for the Greek philosophers lay in the number of ways in which a particular thing might be described, and the establishment of a relation between one thing and another was one of these. A second interest lay in the difference between these relations and the things themselves. This was to culminate in the view that the things in themselves could not be known except through their relations. Debates similar to these continue into modern philosophy and include further investigations into types of relation and whether relations exist only in the mind or the real world or both.
Phrases with Relation
- relation back
- In Relation to
- blood relation
- legal relation
- Binary relation
- sexual relation
- social relation
- logical relation
- medical relation
- partner relation
- spatial relation
- academic relation
- business relation
- personal relation
- semantic relation
- temporal relation
- Thematic relation
- anaphoric relation
- fiduciary relation
View more phrases with the word Relation in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Relation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Practice the ASVAB! (2012)
Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Practice Questions by Complete Test Preparation Team
D The relation is an upright figure to a figure rotated to the right. 14. D The relation is a solid figures to one that is 2dimentional and has one fewer sides. 15. B The relation is...
Assumptions of Grand Logics (2012)
by J.K. Feibleman
The serial relation is the essential one in every organization. Other relations may and usually do exist in organizations but they ...
by Daniel D. Merrill
The complement of a relation is the converse of the complement of its converse. 2. The converse of a relation is the complement of the converse of its complement. 3. The complement of ...
by George P. Klubertanz
Definitions Relation is the way in which one “thing” stands to another or others. For the expression “stands to” we may substitute “is in a certain respect to,” “is with regard to.” Transcendental relation is a principle of being whose whole reality ...
Practical Logic (1881)
Or, The Art of Thinking by Daniel Seely Gregory
The relation is that of peculiar property to substance or subject " A state is a community governed by its own laws." The relation is that of identity of the essential properties, or essence of a thing, — by which the definition is constituted, — with ...
by C. J. Date
More precisely, the relational model consists of the following components: (a) an open-ended collection of scalar types, including in particular type BOOLEAN; (b) a relation type generator and an intended interpretation for relations of types ...
The Agamben Dictionary (2011)
by Alex Murray, Jessica Whyte
“only because the relation of the ban has constituted the essential structure of sovereign power from the beginning”. ACTUALITY Kevin Attell One of the fundamental goals of Agamben's work is to ...
The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations (Expanded Second Edition) (2014)
by David Grambs, Ellen S. Levine
POSITION,RELATION,. AND. PROPORTION. GENERAL TERMS large, big huge, vast, great, massive, extensive, bulky, sizable, considerable, ample, substantial, hefty, jumbo, bounteous, oversize, oversized verylarge giant, gigantic, ...
Harvard Dictionary of Music (1969)
by Willi Apel
Cross relation [F.fausse relation; G. Querstand}.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Relation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Relation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Relation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Symmetric Relation definition example
Symmetric Relation In this video you will learn what is Symmetric Relation and its definition and example of symmetric relation.
- (Abstract Algebra 1) Definition of a Relation
The definition of a relation is given, along with a few examples.
- Morphology Relation - Meaning & Structure
Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- Professor Caleb Nelson: "The Relation Between Legislative Intent and Statutory Meaning"
Professor Caleb Nelson, the Emerson G. Spies Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of Virginia School of Law, delivered his chair lecture, "The ...
- Relation Meaning
Video shows what relation means. The manner in which two things may be associated.. A member of one's family.. The act of relating a story.. relation synonyms: ...
- A1 L3.1 V1 Relation Terminology
- Meaning and Defination of Public Relation
- Scientific meaning of Ratha Sapthami for Lord Surya Jayanthi and relation to Garuda Bhagwan
Ratha Saptami or Rathasapthami that falls on the seventh day (Saptami) in the bright half (Shukla Paksha) of the Hindu month Maagha. It marks the seventh day ...
- Total ordering relation Meaning
Video shows what total ordering relation means. A total order.. Total ordering relation Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say total ...
- Quotes of meaning and relation
This lesson will help you understand quotes about all about life.
- Limit: Limit game and relation with epsilon delta definition
Video created by Ruinan Liu and Vipul Naik. Based on material at...
- Goddess Dhumavathi meaning and relation to aLakshmi- Dhum Beejam
- Lookup relation between contact, distribution list and transmittal definition
This movie demonstrates the lookup relation between contact, distribution list and transmittal definition.
- IIT (maths): Functions - Definition and Special Case of Relation (...
Functions - Definition and Function as a Special Case of Relation (for more content of IIT...
- NCERT CBSE 12th MATHS CHAPTER-1 EXPLANATION RELATION AND FUNCTION
NCERT CBSE 12th MATHS CHAPTER-1 EXPLANATION.
- Alg 7.1 Relation vs Function Explanation
- Explaining the Origin of Language with Relation to the Forces of 5 Elements
Dr. Moorthy [aka Sithagam Sitharji] Explaining the Origin of Language with Relation to the Forces of 5 Elements.
- Language in relation:Towards ecological understanding of prognosis conversation in palliative care
Dr Robert Gramling, Associate Professor of Family Medicine Community & Preventive Medicine (Epidemiology), and Nursing, University of Rochester In this ...
- *Tips for effective students- teachers relation* TAHA NASR, ESL, IELTS INSTRUCTOR
- Relation beyond barriers of age and language
- Pierre Pica "On core knowledge and its relation to language", Nias/Lorentz workshop
Pierre Pica, " On core knowledge and its relation to language", Nias/Lorentz workshop on Core Knowledge, Language and Culture, Leiden May 30th-June 1st ...
- Linguistics 100 - Gesture and Its Relation to Language
- General Manager Public relation Job Description And Processes At Supertec
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Relation
- EDUC5860: Preschool ESL Learner- Relation between the things
View more videos about Blood Relation, In Relation to, Binary relation, Semantic Relation, Thematic relation, Recurrence relation, Equivalence relation, Mathematical Relation, and Partial Ordering Relation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Relation!
Quotes about Relation
The task is to investigate speech sounds in relation to the meanings with which they are invested, i.e., sounds viewed as signifiers, and above all to throw light on the structure of the relation between sounds and meaning. (Roman Jakobson)
more quotes about relation...
Scrabble value of R1E1L1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RELATION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Relation!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Relation to see it in context!