Replace appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Parchesi slats I replace often net foecal peristalsis eh?… Crap!
On this page:
- Definition of the verb replace
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Replace
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Replace
- Usage statistics about replace
- Photos about Replace
- Video language resources about Replace
- Quotes about Replace
- Scrabble value of R1E1P3L1A1C3E1
- Anagrams of REPLACE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb replace
What does replace mean as a doing word?
Replace is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: replaced | replacing | replaces
- substitute a person or thing for (another that is broken or inefficient or lost or no longer working or yielding what is expected)
- examples: He replaced the old razor blade | We need to replace the secretary that left a month ago | the insurance will replace the lost income | This antique vase can never be replaced
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] She exchanged her purchase [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, plural] with [Recipient] Cathay is swapping equity stakes with the U.S. carrier [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme 1] for [Theme 2] Gwen exchanged the dress for a shirt [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Theme, plural] He swapped between the two [Agent - being or organization, plural] [Verb] [Theme, plural] Twenty couples exchanged rings
Verbs of Change of Possession (with the same syntax): barter.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- more generic words: regenerate / renew = reestablish on a new, usually improved, basis or make new or like new
- more specific words:
- take the place or move into the position of
- examples: Smith replaced Miller as CEO after Miller left | Mary replaced Susan as the team's captain and the highest-ranked player in the school
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of replace: supersede / supervene upon / supplant
- more generic terms: come after / follow / succeed = be the successor
- more specific terms:
- put something back where it belongs
- example: replace the book on the shelf after you have finished reading it
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of replace: put back
- more generic words: lay / place / pose / position / put / set = put into a certain place or abstract location
- more specific term: hang up = put a telephone receiver back in its cradle
- put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items
- example: the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of replace: exchange / interchange / substitute
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific words:
- shift = move and exchange for another
- reduce = simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another
- truncate = replace a corner by a plane
- retool = provide (a workshop or factory) with new tools
- subrogate = substitute one creditor for another, as in the case where an insurance company sues the person who caused an accident for the insured
Alternative definition of the verb replace
- [transitive] To restore to a former place, position, condition, or the like.
- [transitive] To refund; to repay; to restore; as, to replace a sum of money borrowed.
- [transitive] To supply or substitute an equivalent for.
- [transitive] To take the place of; to supply the want of; to fulfil the end or office of.
- [transitive] To demolish a building and build a updated form of that building in its place.
- [transitive, rare] To place again.
- [transitive, rare] To put in a new or different place.
- "Replace" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Replace" a.k.a. "Diversification EP" is a musical EP of Mooz.
- released on (14 years ago)
replace: In computing, replace is a command used on DOS, Microsoft Windows and related computer operating systems that is used to replace one or more existing files or add new files to a target directory. The replace command first appeared in DOS 3.2 and has been included in most versions of MS-DOS and IBM PC DOS. It is also included as a console command in Microsoft Windows.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Replace
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Henk J. Scholten, John Stillwell
MODEL ACTOR DATA BASE REPLACE and GIS REPLACE is a typically spatial model. As such, it is not surprising that both from a modelling and a decision support point of view, interaction with a GIS strongly improves the quality of the ...
Growing Up Absurd (2012)
Problems of Youth in the Organized Society by Paul Goodman, Susan Sontag
For in general, a profound revolutionary program in any field projects a new workable kind of behavior, a new nature of man, a new whole society; just as the traditional society it tries to replace is a whole society that the revolutionists think is ...
The Contextual Emergence of Mind and Self by Suzanne Kirschner, Jack Martin
The Paradox of Statistical Methods One of the problems with the old-paradigm psychology that social constructionist theory and its associated analytical methodology replace is the use of statistical methods, applied to mass data. It is close to a ...
by Julie C. Meloni
REPLACE is a variation of INSERT that deletes, and then reinserts a record with a matching primary key. Be very careful when using UPDATE to change values in a column because failure to add a condition will result in the given column ...
by David Donald Miller
The penalty of choosing the wrong page to replace is that it will have to be faulted back into memory ...
by Greg Harvey
Eliminating Errors with Text to Speech Find and Replace is a great tool for eliminating errors. Eliminating Errors with Text to Speech.
by Vin T. Sparano
Replace line. c. Replace worn guides. Replace line and change storage areas. a. Use lower spooling tension. Make one final cast and rewind under low tension. b.
by John Grasso, Eric R. Hartman
Silver Lake: New manager Mark Baker adds Wes Malott, Tommy Jones, and Bryon Smith to replace Blanchard, Williams, Bohr, and Van Hees. • L.A. X: New manager Andrew Cain adds Mika Koivuniemi and E. J. Tackett to replace Malott, ...
by Gary Null
Replace with cold-water fishes (tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and cod, all fresh) four times a week. Eat nuts, nut butters, seeds, soybeans and soy products; organic eggs; and quinoa (a high-protein grain). Mix beans and grains ( such ...
used to replace photo IDs, PINs, passwords, signatures, or keys with the following HIT security advantages: • Access Control and Attendance—Use biometrics for controlling access to facilities and monitoring employee ...
by Kate Shoup Welsh, Kate J. Chase
Click Replace Sounds with Visual Clues under Ease of Access Center; then enable Sound Notifications to replace system sounds with visual cues such as flashes, or enable Captions to replace sounds with captions. Setting up Windows ...
by John Dawes
Replace removed water with tap or rainwater brought up to temperature (with boiled water) in a bucket or other suitable receptacle. Add dechlorinator or dechloraminator if the water change is larger than around 20-25 percent. Replacement ...
A Math Review by Chris Kornegay
To test the equation of the graph for symmetry with respect to the x-axis, we replace y with —y. If the equation remains equivalent (unchanged), the graph of the equation is symmetric with respect to the x-axis. . A graph is symmetric with respect ...
The A to Z Desktop Reference of Photoshop by Philip Andrews
Menu: File > File Info Bridge:View> Metadata Panel Shortcut: – See also: Metadata Append/Replace, Metadata Templates Version: CS2, CS3, CS4 The Metadata associated with a single image or a group of multi-selected images can be ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Replace
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about replace
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb replace:
Photos about Replace
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: はちよん
Photo credit: badgreeb RECORDS - art -photos
Photo credit: andeecollard
Photo credit: badgreeb RECORDS - art -photos
Photo credit: Have Faith On 17
Photo credit: badgreeb RECORDS - art -photos
- Movable Type 5 Search & Replace
Once you performed a search you can replace the search term in one or many of the search results.
Photo credit: stephanski
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Replace
Click on an item to play that video:
- Quick explanation on how to replace a 2007 Ford Explorer Blend Door Actuator
Quick show of how to replace a Blend Door Actuator- 2007 Explorer.
- Replace Meaning
Video shows what replace means. To restore to a former place, position, condition, or the like.. To refund; to repay; to restore; as, to replace a sum of money ...
- 285 Mumbai Indian girls replace names meaning 'unwanted' to rise above gender discrimination.
Almost 300 Indian girls given names like "Nakusa" or "Nakushi" which means "unwanted" in Hindi, grew up understanding they were a burden to their family ...
- Editorial workflow: Replace with Terminology
A workflow for Editorial 1.1.
- Propeller design: How to create and replace a parametric 2D profile definition
This video is a short CAESES (formerly called FRIENDSHIP-Framework) tutorial on how to create a new parametric definition for a propeller blade. The software ...
- Vocabulary Strategies: Replace the Word
- Table Replace Job Explanation
- Replace buoy for buoy and description on an ADMIRALTY Standard Nautical Chart
This short film shows you how to replace a buoy for a buoy and description on an ADMIRALTY Standard Nautical Chart.
- Najma Heptulla to Replace E.S.L Narasimhan as New Governor | Studio N
Sources have indicated that senior BJP leader and Minority Affairs Minister, Najma Heptullah could be the next Governor of both the two Telugu states replacing ...
- Find and Replace Noun or Adjective Forms or Verb Tenses - Word 2010
How to Find and Replace Noun or Adjective Forms or Verb Tenses in Word 2010.
- Golden Gate Enterprises SF Bay Area Deck Contractor Millie Deck Replace Description
- Bulk find and replace in Youtube description
How to batch edit or change links, brands and other words in Youtube video descriptions. General universal approach to bulk editing online information.
- Language replace iPhone 6, 6 plus
- Power Supply Description and Instructions on How to Replace
This video describes a computer power supply and gives instructions on how to replace in a computer.
See also the pronunciation examples of Replace!
Quotes about Replace
As I look
Like I want to
Blue (Autumn Winds)
more quotes about replace...
Scrabble value of R1E1P3L1A1C3E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REPLACE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Replace!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Replace to see it in context!