On this page:
- Definition of the verb require
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for require
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for require
- Usage statistics about require
- Photos about require
- Video language resources about require
- Quotes about require
- Scrabble value of R1E1Q10U1I1R1E1
- Anagrams of REQUIRE
- Share this page
The word require and its family (required, requirement, requirements, requires, requiring) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb require
What does require mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: required | requiring | requires
- require as useful, just, or proper
- example: success usually requires hard work
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of require: ask / call for / demand / involve / necessitate / need / postulate / take
- more specific terms:
- claim / exact / take = take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
- govern = require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
- draw = require a specified depth for floating
- cost = require to lose, suffer, or sacrifice
- cry out for / cry for = need badly or desperately
- compel = necessitate or exact
- consider obligatory; request and expect
- examples: We require our secretary to be on time | They require him to write the letter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] He ordered John [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] [Proposition, object control with infinitive] He ordered John to eat his sloth [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Proposition, that-complement clause] He ordered that she should come immediately [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Proposition, that-complement clause, not tensed] John ordered that she come immediately
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of require: ask / expect
- more generic word: demand = request urgently and forcefully
- more specific word: call = require the presentation of for redemption before maturation
- make someone do something
- example: They require him to write the letter
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 2
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of require: command
- more generic words: enjoin / order / say / tell = give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority
- more specific words:
- have need of
- examples: They require more bread | They require him to write the letter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] He ordered John Order Verbs: ask, command, demand, order [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] [Proposition, object control with infinitive] He ordered John to eat his sloth [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Proposition, that-complement clause] He ordered that she should come immediately [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Proposition, that-complement clause, not tensed] John ordered that she come immediately [Theme 1] [Verb] [Theme 2] Success requires hard work Require Verbs: demand, involve, necessitate, need, take [Theme 1] [Verb] [Theme 2] from [Source] Success requires hard work from us [Theme 1] [Verb] [Theme 2, arbitrary control with -ing] Success requires working long hours [Theme 1] [Verb] [Theme 2, for-complement clause] Success requires for us to work hard [Theme 1] [Verb] [Theme 2, that-complement clause] Success requires that we work hard
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of require: need / want
- more generic word: be = have the quality of being
- more specific word: cry = demand immediate action
Alternative definition of the verb require
- [obsolete] To ask (someone) for something; to request. [definition 14th-17th c.]
- To demand, to insist upon (having); to call for authoritatively. [definition from 14th c.]
- Naturally to demand (something) as indispensable; to need, to call for as necessary. [definition from 15th c.]
- To demand of (someone) to do something. [definition from 18th c.]
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for require
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Three.js Cookbook (2015)
by Jos Dirksen
This, however, is a rather heavy solution if all you require is the option to detect collisions. In this recipe, we provide a simple approach ...
by John M. Chalmers, Robert J. Meier
What these customers ideally require is a solution or information that enables them to solve or overcome a problem on a timescale that is relevant to the customers' business needs, ...
Beeton's Dictionary of Every-day Gardening: constituting a popular cyclopædia of the theory and practice of horticulture. Embellished with coloured plates, etc (1874)
by Samuel Orchart BEETON
Chrysanthemums will require a liberal supply of clear manure-water every day in bright weather, and must never be allowed to droop from...
by Samuel Orchart Beeton
Chrysanthemums will require a liberal supply of clear manure-water every day in bright weather, and must never be allowed to droop from want of it. Chinese primroses will require the next largest supply of water ; then early- flowering ...
The Encyclopaedia of Sports Medicine: An IOC Medical Commission Publication, Epidemiology of Injury in Olympic Sports (2009)
by Dennis J. Caine, Peter Harmer, Melissa Schiff
R Insurance records 771,810 Require medical ...
All policies require a permit for war service and extra premium of 2 % per cent. for rvice in United ...
by William Nicholson
Light dry powders require syrup or mucilages : and the more ponderous, as the mercurial and other metallic...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
[from require.] ...
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
Clinicians require necessary information to make diagnostic, management, prevention, and reporting decisions. Diagnostic decisions require information to accurately estimate the pre-test probability of disease for a given patient. Information is ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for require
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about require
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb require:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb require:
Photos about require
Click on an item to view that photo:
Require ID3v1 tags
Photo credit: Dan Gravell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about require
Click on an item to play that video:
- 30 RARE HISTORICAL PHOTOS THAT REQUIRE EXPLANATION
When you were a little kid, you probably spent a relatively long amount of time in history class. Teaching children history is one of the fundamental elements of ...
- Require Meaning
Video shows what require means. To ask (someone) for something; to request.. To demand, to insist upon (having); to call for authoritatively.. Naturally to ...
- Quantum Computing Day 3: Does an Explanation of Higher Brain Function require...
Google Tech Talks January, 10 2008 ABSTRACT Syllabus and Recommended Literature This tech talk series explores the enormous opportunities afforded by ...
- Unlike New Mexico, Texas Juries Require English Language Skills
- State Could Require Language Translators in Hospitals
H.B. 5385 would require hospitals to provide language interpreters for non-English speaking patients.
- Indonesia to Require Migrant Workers to Speak Foreign Language Before Heading Abroad
- Language and Rationality Require God
See also the pronunciation examples of require!
Quotes about require
Scrabble value of R1E1Q10U1I1R1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REQUIRE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of require!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of require to see it in context!