The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb respond:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun respond
- Definition of the verb respond
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Respond
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Respond
- Photos about Respond
- Video language resources about Respond
- Quotes about Respond
- Scrabble value of R1E1S1P3O1N1D2
- Anagrams of RESPOND
- Share this page
The word respond and its family (responded, respondent, respondents, responding, responds, response, responses, responsive, responsiveness, unresponsive) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun respond
What does respond mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: responds
- A response.
- A versicle or short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
- [architecture] A half-pillar, pilaster, or any corresponding device engaged in a wall to receive the impost of an arch.
Definition of the verb respond
What does respond mean as a doing word?
Respond is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: responded | responding | responds
- show a response or a reaction to something
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of respond: react
- more generic words: act / move = perform an action, or work out or perform
- more specific terms:
- treat = regard or consider in a specific way
- bristle = react in an offended or angry manner
- flip out / flip = react in an excited, delighted, or surprised way
- overreact = show an exaggerated response to something
- answer = react to a stimulus or command
- accept = be sexually responsive to, used of a female domesticated mammal
- stool = react to a decoy, of wildfowl
- greet = react to in a certain way
- explode = show a violent emotional reaction
- accept = react favorably to
- answer = respond to a signal
- decline / refuse = show unwillingness towards
- consent / accept / go for = give an affirmative reply to
- marvel / wonder = be amazed at
- acknowledge / notice = express recognition of the presence or existence of, or acquaintance with
- refuse / reject / resist = resist immunologically the introduction of some foreign tissue or organ
- react verbally
- example: They respond that there was a traffic accident
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of respond: answer / reply
- more generic words: say / state / tell = express in words
- more specific terms:
- respond favorably or as hoped
Alternative definition of the verb respond
- [transitive or intransitive] To say something in return; to answer; to reply.
- [intransitive] To act in return; to exhibit some action or effect in return to a force or stimulus; to do something in response; to accord.
- [intransitive] To correspond; to suit.
- [transitive] To satisfy; to answer.
"Respond" is a musical EP of Apokritheis.
- Respond a.k.a. Respond! is a housing association founded in Waterford, Ireland in the 1980s, by the Franciscan community there. Its mission was to provide housing for those with limited means such as young families and older persons. To date it has build over 5500 houses around Ireland, and is Ireland's Largest not-for-profit Housing Association. The association has its headquarters in Waterford but regional centres in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Dublin. Respond was responsible for various housing developments in Ennis, Waterford, Wexford and Youghal.
- official website: www.respond.ie
- Respond: A respond is a half-pier or half-pillar which is bonded into a wall and designed to carry the springer at one end of an arch.
- Respond is a 2011 Silver Telly Award winning ad, created for Compassion International.
- award: - Telly Award for Internet/Online Programs, Segments, or Promotional Pieces Online Video - Charitable/Not-for-profit, received by Grey Matter Group
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Respond
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Evidence from evaluations of systems and schools in change by Roel J. Bosker, Bert P.M. Creemers, Sam Stringfield
The ability to respond is the main issue here. This responsiveness Ought, on the one hand, to improve how the administration handles its tasks, in other words the quality of the administration; and, on the other hand, to increase democracy in ...
The Gini Methodology (2012)
A Primer on a Statistical Methodology by Shlomo Yitzhaki, Edna Schechtman
In general, the experience concerning nonresponse is that the propensity not to respond is a U-shaped function with respect to income. A plausible explanation can be that the rich tend not to participate, while the poor and the young are ...
Martin Luther's Theology (2008)
A Contemporary Interpretation by Oswald Bayer
More specifically, to respond means to praise that which faith produces, through which God is given what is appropriately owed to him in a productive way.55 To this belongs giving to others what has been given. “Thus we are also to give and ...
Real-World Skills for MCSA Certification and Beyond (Exams 70-461, 70-462, and 70-463) by Tom Carpenter
The node currently configured to respond is the active node. For other nodes to respond, the active node must fail—intentionally or unintentionally—and the resources will then failover to the alternative node. The Failover Clustering Installation ...
Wondering about Words (2005)
D'où viennent les mots anglais ? by Judith Andreyev
But whereas answer, with its Anglo-Saxon origin, is more common in everyday language, respond is the more formal word, more likely to be found in official contexts. In fact, the word responsible came into English from the Anglo-Norman legal ...
by Tamsin Cottis
Respond is a voluntary sector organization, based in Central London, managed by a Board of Trustees and part-funded by the UK Department of Health. It was established in 1991 and now provides a range of psychotherapeutic services to ...
The Encyclopedia of Perception by Jennifer L. Hellier
There are four main types of sensory receptors for touch: Meissner's corpuscles ( respond to moderate vibration and light touch), Pacinian corpuscles (respond to high vibrations and gross touch), Merkel nerve endings (respond to low ...
A Dictionary of Distinctions (2003)
by Danish Ahmed
RESPOND,. ACT,. REACT. REPRESENT. Scott Michael, a prominent leader in network marketing, says, "Discouragement is a luxury you can't afford. So you have to move on. You can't react, you have to act." Acting is deciding from scratch ...
Health Care Eligibility, Coverage, or Benefit Response Payer uses to respond to 270 requests. 276 Health Care Claim Status Request Provider uses to request the status of health care claims. 277 Health Care Claim Status Notification ...
by W.E Vine, Rev Terry Kulakowski
“to respond, answer, reply.” This root occurs in most Semitic languages, although it bears many meanings. With the meaning that undergirds it appears in Ugaritic, Akkadian, Arabic, post-biblical Hebrew, and biblical ...
by Paul J. Lavrakas
Item nonresponse involves sampled members of the target population who fail to respond to one or more survey questions. Unit nonresponse is the failure of sample members to respond to the entire survey. This can be due to respondents' ...
With Topical Index by W. E. Vine, Merrill Unger
“to respond, answer, reply.” This root occurs in most Semitic languages, although it bears many meanings. With the meaning that undergirds 'anah, it appears in Ugaritic, Akkadian, Arabic, postbiblical Hebrew, and ...
by Wilson G. Pond
INTRODUCTION The ability of pathogens to establish a successful infection is mediated by both intrinsic properties of the pathogen itself and the ability of the host to respond to the invading organism. The immune system is responsible for ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Respond
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Respond
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Respond
Click on an item to play that video:
- Professors respond to millennial slang
Lehigh University professors learn a new language: millennial slang.
- Definition of Economics - People Respond To Incentives
- Respond Meaning
Video shows what respond means. To say something in return; to answer; to reply.. To act in return; to exhibit some action or effect in return to a force or stimulus; ...
- Receive Respond explanation response piece Ricky Beresford
- Arthur Brooks: How to Respond to the President's Definition of Fairness in Less Than a Minute
Frustrated by what's being tossed around as "fairness" in campaign speeches across the country? Want to know what to say?
- Receive Respond initial explanation Ricky Beresford
- Lauren Brixey "Restaurants Respond to Diverse Definition of Healthful"
- HOW TO MAINTAIN BODY LANGUAGE & HOW TO RESPOND WHILE GIVING A PRESENTATION
An USefuL VIdeO............MAKED BY EXPERTS..........................
- EFL University Demands Regular VC...Presses on Centre to Respond
The English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, has been without a VC for more than a year now. The concerns raised by the students body and the ...
- Dog's respond body language.
- MDDA, Greenpeace & IPS Africa respond to the use indigenous language to cover climate change.
- Respond them in in their Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Respond!
Quotes about Respond
The matinee audiences are different because they're mostly kids, a great percentage kids. So they respond to everything differently, but I understand what they do respond to. (Rue McClanahan)
more quotes about respond...
Scrabble value of R1E1S1P3O1N1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RESPOND
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Respond!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Respond to see it in context!