On this page:
- Definition of the noun retch
- Definition of the verb retch
- Printed books with definitions for Retch
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Retch
- Usage statistics about retch
- Photos about Retch
- Video about Retch
- Quotes about Retch
- Scrabble value of R1E1T1C3H4
- Anagrams of RETCH
- Share this page
Definition of the noun retch
What does retch mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: retches
- an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting
Definition of the verb retch
What does retch mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: retched | retching | retches
- eject the contents of the stomach through the mouth
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] Paul breathed [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] Paul breathed a deep breath [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] on / onto [Oblique] The dragon breathed fire on Mary [Agent - being] [Verb] on / onto [Oblique] Paul breathed on Mary
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of retch: barf / be sick / cast / cat / chuck / disgorge / honk / puke / purge / regorge / regurgitate / sick / spew / spue / throw up / upchuck / vomit / vomit up
- more generic words: egest / eliminate / excrete / pass = eliminate from the body
- make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
Retch is a musical group.
- albums: "Ben-wa Baby Heads", "Reinsertion of Aborted Remnants"
Printed books with definitions for Retch
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Visual Grammar (2017)
No Mistakes Grammar, Volumes I, II, and III by Giacomo Giammatteo
Retch/wretch To retch means to vomit, as in, the ...
Dogs and Cats by Etienne Cote
This is an impression that is produced by the repetitive fits of coughing that end in a terminal retch; a terminal retch is a final, hacking, gagging sound that is louder than the cough and that ends a fit of coughing. A dog may occasionally produce ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Retch
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about retch
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb retch:
Photos about Retch
If you need images about Retch for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Retch
Video shows what retch means. To make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; to strain, as in vomiting.. retch pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
Quotes about Retch
WHERE'ER I go in this dense East,
In sunshine or shade,
I retch at the villainous feast
That England has made,
And my shame cannot understand,
As scorn springs elate,
How I ever loved that land
I loathe and hate! (Francis William Lauderdale Adams)
more quotes about retch...
Scrabble value of R1E1T1C3H4
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RETCH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Retch!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Retch to see it in context!