On this page:
- Definition of the noun reveal
- Definition of the verb reveal
- Phrases with Reveal
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reveal
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reveal
- Usage statistics about reveal
- Photos about Reveal
- Video language resources about Reveal
- Quotes about Reveal
- Scrabble value of R1E1V4E1A1L1
- Anagrams of REVEAL
- Share this page
The word reveal and its family (revealed, revealing, reveals, revelation, revelations) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reveal
What does reveal mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: reveals
- The outer side of a window or door frame; the jamb.
- [context: cinematography] A revelation; an uncovering of what was hidden.
Definition of the verb reveal
What does reveal mean as a doing word?
Reveal is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: revealed | revealing | reveals
- make visible
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of reveal: bring out / unveil
- more generic word: show = make visible or noticeable
- more specific terms:
- make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret
- examples: The actress won't reveal how old she is | They reveal that there was a traffic accident
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, object control with -ing] He characterized him as being smart Verbs with Predicative Complements: report [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, small clause] He characterized him to be smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] He characterized him as smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, how-extraction] He described how he could rise to high office [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with past participle] He revealed the children found [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, wh-complement clause] He revealed if we should come [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, wh-infinitive clause] He described how to do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, what-extraction] He revealed what he should do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, what-infinitive clause] He revealed what to do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, subject control with -ing] They confessed stealing the money Verbs of Communication: acknowledge, admit, confess, proclaim [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, how-extraction] He confessed how she did it | I asked how she did it | I explained how it can be done | John suggested how she could do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, noun phrase with past participle] He confessed himself flummoxed [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, possessive with -ing] They confessed their stealing [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause] I promised that I would come | They confessed that they had stolen [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, to be] I admitted him to be a great smoker [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, not sentential clause] They confessed it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, not sentential clause] to [Recipient] I explained the matter to them | They confessed it to us [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] They confessed to us [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, how-extraction] I explained to her how it can be done | They confessed to us how it happened [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic] Ellen said a few words Verbs of Communication: advise, announce, articulate, blab, blurt, claim, confess, confide, convey, declare, mention, note, observe, proclaim, propose, recount, reiterate, relate, remark, repeat, report, say, state [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic] to [Recipient] Ellen said a few words to Helen [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, how-extraction] He confessed how she did it | I asked how she did it | I explained how it can be done | John suggested how she could do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, quotation] He says, 'It has to go.' [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause] He ordered that he go [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, that-complement clause, not tensed] John suggested that he should go [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, wh-infinitive clause] I asked how to do it | I explained how to do it | John suggested how to do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-extraction] He asked what he should do | I explained what he should do | John suggested what we should eat [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Topic, what-infinitive clause] He asked what to do | I explained what to do | John suggested what to do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] to [Recipient] [Topic, quotation] Mr. Jacobson announced to the trading mob: 'We're going to trade on the bell.'
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of reveal: break / bring out / disclose / discover / divulge / expose / give away / let on / let out / uncover / unwrap
- more generic word: tell = let something be known
- more specific terms:
- blackwash = bring (information) out of concealment
- muckrake = explore and expose misconduct and scandals concerning public figures
- blow = cause to be revealed and jeopardized
- out = reveal (something) about somebody's identity or lifestyle
- come out of the closet / come out / out = to state openly and publicly one's homosexuality
- spring = produce or disclose suddenly or unexpectedly
- betray / bewray = reveal unintentionally
- confide = reveal in private
- leak = tell anonymously
- let the cat out of the bag / spill the beans / babble out / blab out / babble / tattle / peach / blab / sing / talk = divulge confidential information or secrets
- cause: break / get around / get out
- disclose directly or through prophets
- example: God rarely reveal his plans for Mankind
- domain: theological system / theology
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- more generic terms: break / bring out / disclose / discover / divulge / expose / give away / let on / let out / uncover / unwrap = make known to the public information that was previously known only to a few people or that was meant to be kept a secret
Alternative definition of the verb reveal
- [transitive] To uncover; to show and display that which was hidden.
- synonym: communicate
- [transitive] To communicate that which could not be known or discovered without divine or supernatural instruction.
- synonym: disclose
Who is Reveal?
Reveal: Mehrak Golestan is a British musician of Iranian descent.
- also known as Mehrak Golestan, مهرک گلستان
- born on (31 years ago) in Tehran, child of Kaveh Golestan and Hengāmeh Golestān
- profession: Musician, singer
- genres: Hip hop music, Hip Hop
- official website: www.myspace.com/revealpoison
- "Reveal" is the 12th album by the American alternative rock band R.E.M., released in 2001 on Warner Bros. After having adjusted to former drummer Bill Berry's departure and releasing Up to mixed response in 1998, R.E.M. released the more upbeat Reveal, co-produced with long-time collaborator Patrick McCarthy.
- "Reveal", written by Per Gessle with Marie Fredriksson, is the second single released from Swedish pop duo Roxette's 2006 album Roxette Hits.
- "Reveal" is an album by the new wave rock band Fischer-Z. In the summer of 1981 John Watts split up with his group, Fischer-Z, on the grounds that his art could not evolve within the context of the band.
- genre: New Wave
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Reveal" is the 2007 single by Roxette.
- also known as Reveal: Single Version, Reveal: Remix Version
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical album of Underwhelmed.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical album of BURNPILOT.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical album of Girish.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical EP of Dan Michaels.
- released in (24 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical album of Jess Pillmore.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Reveal" is a musical album of Carnival Strippers.
"Reveal" is a short film, directed by Ignacio Estaregui.
- Reveal: In carpentry, a reveal is a feature resembling a rabbet, but constructed of separate pieces of wood. A reveal may typically be seen at the edge of a door or window, where the face molding is set back, often by a distance from 3/16" to 1/2" to reveal the edge of the casing plank.
- Reveal i a radio program.
Phrases with Reveal
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reveal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David K. Irving, Peter W. Rea
The reveal is a rich piece of film language usually requiring moving the camera. In this technique...
Mothers in Academia (2013)
by Maria Castaneda, Kirsten Isgro
Beyond the rhetoric of choice and sacrifice, what this collection's testimonios reveal is the larger project of making “campuses moral workplaces” (Nelson 1997 , 258). There have been stories in these pages about women who refuse to be ...
by David Buckley
II Reveal is a quite different album to Up. True, it shares Up's ...
History, Identity and Change by J. McAuley, G. Spencer
Thus, while it mayseem perversely quixotic todiscuss the future ofan Ulster Scots Academy or agitatefor an IrishLanguage Act duringa period of financial stringencywhatthese debates clearly reveal is that it isneither'bread and butterissues' or ...
by Louise Grace Shaw
Nevertheless, what such considerations of co—operation and concern about Soviet reactions reveal is that British foreign policy towards the Soviet Union was not a result of impossible structural constraints, but rather a matter of willingness to ...
Darkness on the Edge of Truth by Randall E. Auxier, Douglas R. Anderson
And what Springsteen and Chapman both reveal is that despite changes, this structure remains substantially in place in American culture in the twenty-first century. Misogyny is no ...
The Whiplash Encyclopedia (2006)
by Robert Ferrari
Studies Reveal the Myth 188.8.131.52 Summary 5.4.2 ...
The A to Z Desktop Reference of Photoshop by Philip Andrews
R RESTORE PREFERENCES REVEAL IN EXPLORER R R RGB (RED, GREEN, BLUE) ROUNDED. Restore. Preferences. Menu: – Shortcut: Ctrl/Cmd Alt/Opt Shft Version: 6.0, 7.0, ...
by Stephen Diller, Janelle Diller
Using a gauge for consistency, mark the reveal of the trim on the window or doorjamb. 2. Cut the head piece first by measuring the distance between the two side reveal marks. Cut 45-degree miter cuts on each end. 3. Install the piece by ...
by Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard, Martin Pritchard (BEng (Hons), PhD.)
reveal The area of wall at a jamb that is not covered ...
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
veel', to uncover, to make known what was before concealed ; revealed, re.veeld'; reveal'-ing, reveal'-er. Bevelation, reV .S.lay" jhiln, a discovery , (in TheoL) the disclosures made in the Bible of God's plan of salvation. Latin rfveVitio ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reveal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about reveal
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb reveal:
Photos about Reveal
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: katesheets
The Urbis design team has proposed a variety of landscape interventions within the botanic gardens to deliver a narrative of experiences and uses related to its past, present and future use.
Photo credit: Brisbane City Council
- NSWRL Jersey reveal
Photo credit: Eva Rinaldi Celebrity and Live Music Photographer
- Rubbermaid Reveal Spray Mop
Rubbermaid Reveal spray mop - A Better Way to Clean. Learn more at...
Photo credit: Rubbermaid Products
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Reveal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Reveal Meaning
Video shows what reveal means. The outer side of a window or door frame; the jamb.. A revelation; an uncovering of what was hidden.. The side of an opening ...
- Lucid Dream Analysis - Your Dreams Can Reveal Their Meaning Easily
Get a free MP3...
- Students, Lubbockites Reveal Meaning Behind Tattoos
Texas Tech University students and residents of Lubbock describe what their tattoos mean to them.
- Gaming setup, face reveal and explanation...
- Rubber band threw thumb (reveal/explanation)
- Branding-definition Logo reveal
- Draft Reveal Explanation
- INVIS' Wave Of Light Explanation and Calculator Reveal.
This is a detail explanation on how to use the calculator and how to work out your eDPS when you use the Nirvana build (Infinite Spirits Build). The calculator ...
- New Hair Reveal and Giveaway Explanation for Instagram!
- Reborn name reveal, its meaning and first Zuilily package
- Minecraft: The Craft and The Curious - Post Office Reveal and Explanation
- Basement Jargon Ep. 1 - Xbox One Reveal
- Reveal the Meaning
- Crystal Legends skills reveal and explanation
Follow development on twitter!
- 3 Numerology Explanation - Birthdates Reveal Secrets
- The Magic Reveal Card Trick (With Explanation)
- Body Movements That Reveal Attraction | Body Language
Watch more How to Read Body Language videos...
- Face Reveal+a lot more!! (CHECK DESCRIPTION!!)
- Endangered Language Helps Reveal Past
An endangered Greek dialect which is spoken in north-eastern Turkey has been identified by researchers as a "linguistic goldmine" because of its startling ...
- Check the description after video for a face reveal.
- Body Language Confidential Demo: Reveal what's hidden-Body Language Expert Traci Brown
- Badger Gaming face reveal: Starting to record on Serbian language
See also the pronunciation examples of Reveal!
Quotes about Reveal
Scrabble value of R1E1V4E1A1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REVEAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Reveal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Reveal to see it in context!