Reversal appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Sevilla’s reversal lives!
- So, ten games reversal set on a node… do nanoteslas reverse magnetos?
- Seville dome-villas revere no canine men in acts I list: canine men in a cone reversal live model lives.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun reversal:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun reversal and its most common antonym:
Reversal is a member of the word family reverse, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
Definition of the noun reversal
What does reversal mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: reversals
- a change from one state to the opposite state
- example: there was a reversal of autonomic function
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic term: change of state = the act of changing something into something different in essential characteristics
- more specific words: retrogression / retroversion / regression / reversion / regress = returning to a former state
- an unfortunate happening that hinders or impedes; something that is thwarting or frustrating
- turning in an opposite direction or position
- a decision to reverse an earlier decision
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of reversal: change of mind / flip-flop / turnabout / turnaround
- more generic terms: deciding / decision making = the cognitive process of reaching a decision
- more specific terms: reconsideration / second thought / afterthought / rethink = thinking again about a choice previously made
- a judgment by a higher court that the judgment of a lower court was incorrect and should be set aside
- turning in the opposite direction
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of reversal: reverse / reversion / turnabout / turnaround
- more generic terms: change of direction / reorientation = the act of changing the direction in which something is oriented
- more specific terms:
- the act of reversing the order or place of
- a major change in attitude or principle or point of view
Alternative definition of the noun reversal
- The state of being reversed.
- An instance of reversing.
- A change in fortune; a change from being successful to having problems.
Specialised definition of the noun reversal
Glossary of sports / wrestling
a move in which a wrestler escapes from his opponent's hold and executes a move which gives him a controlling position (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
action in which the bottom wrestler reverses his position and comes to the top position in control
if the wrestler in the bottom position completely reverses the situation and comes to the top position in control, it is a reversal, worth one point
"Reversal" is a 2001 movie about a high school wrestler, directed by Jimi Petulla. The movie, starring Danny Mousetis, chronicles the struggle of Leo Leone as he strives for the Pennsylvania state title and his dad's affection. Coached by his father, Edward Leone, he is constantly pushed towards this goal. He is forced to decide between the approval of his father or his own wishes as he feels the strain from years of training and making weight. The movie never made it to the mainstream public, however received vocal support from many leaders in the wrestling community such as Cael Sanderson and Kurt Angle.
- also known as A Fighting Chance
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Alan Vint
- producer: Albert Hasson
- executive producer: Jimi Petulla
- production design by Jory Adam
- written by Jimi Petulla
- cinematography by William H. Molina
- music by Jeff Danna
- costume design by Diane Collins
- genres: Sports, Romance Film, Drama
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (13 years ago)
- official website: www.reversalthemovie.com
- released in (16 years ago)
Phrases with reversal
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for reversal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Fight Fair (2010)
Winning at Conflict without Losing at Love by Tim Downs, Joy Downs
Reversal is a form of defensiveness.
by Thomas N. Bulkowski
Table 5 Reversal Rates Description Explanation Closing price confirmation reversal rate Whichever direction represents a reversal of the price trend leading to the candle pattern, look for a higher/lower close the day after the candle pattern ...
Selected Papers from the 12th International Symposium on Lexicography, Copenhagen, 2004 by Henrik Gottlieb, Jens Erik Mogensen
seems to be less advantageous than reversal of bilingual dictionaries with Latvian as the B language, because of the variety mentioned above and the small proportion of terminological texts in the ...
by Salvatore Attardo
Reversal theory is a general psychological theory of motivation, emotion, and personality that has generated much research since the 1970s and con- tinues to be applied in such areas as sport coaching and management consultancy.
by Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, Christer Rolf
As such, reversal theory predicts that these continuums produce two curves, which can predict the relationship between arousal and affect. One curve ranges from boredom – low arousal and unpleasant affect, to excitement – high arousal and ...
by Thomas George Atkinson
when the point of reversal is obtained, no calculations have to be made, the neutralizing lens ...
by Ian P. Stolerman
Synonyms CBIT; Cognitive behavioral therapy for trichotillomania; Comprehensive behavioral intervention for tics or trichotillomania; HRT Definition Habit reversal therapy (HRT) is an evidence-based behavioral therapy used in the treatment ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for reversal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about reversal
Sometimes the other person's shoes are just too much to handle.
Photo credit: kennymatic
Video language resources about reversal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vasectomy Reversal - A Detailed Explanation
A vasectomy reversal is a technically challenging two and a half hour microsurgery. Because of this, it should always be performed by an experienced, full-ti...
- A New Definition of a Real Creation(sex reversal of tilapia)
- Explanation of reversal of DQ's at NWT Championship
Anthony Wright explains the reversal of the DQ's at the National Walleye Tour championship. Six boats had been disqualified on day one due to not releasing t...
See also the pronunciation examples of reversal!
Quotes about reversal
To recommend that women become identical to men, would be simple reversal, and would defeat the whole point of androgyny, and for that matter, feminism: in both, the whole point is choice. (Carolyn Heilbrun)
more quotes about reversal...
Scrabble value of R1E1V4E1R1S1A1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REVERSAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of reversal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of reversal to see it in context!