Review appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Snug, sore, held in awe, I verified a crass arcade if I review an idle hero’s guns.
- "We," I’ve radiated, "act if nuts omit sums. We," I’ve regarded, "named names. I was a dog fired. Now I see referees, I wonder if God, as a wise man, demanded rage reviews. Must I, most unfit cadet, aid a review?"
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun review:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb review:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun review
- Definition of the verb review
- Phrases with Review
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Review
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Review
- Photos about Review
- Video language resources about Review
- Sign language
- Quotes about Review
- Scrabble value of R1E1V4I1E1W4
- Anagrams of REVIEW
- Share this page
The word review is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun review
What does review mean as a name of something?
Review is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: reviews
- a new appraisal or evaluation
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of review: reappraisal / reassessment / revaluation
- more generic words: appraisal / assessment = the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- more specific words: stock-taking / stocktaking = reappraisal of a situation or position or outlook
- an essay or article that gives a critical evaluation (as of a book or play)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of review: critical review / critique / review article
- more generic terms: criticism / literary criticism = a written evaluation of a work of literature
- more specific terms:
- a subsequent examination of a patient for the purpose of monitoring earlier treatment
- (accounting) a service (less exhaustive than an audit) that provides some assurance to interested parties as to the reliability of financial data
- domain: accounting
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonym of review: limited review
- more generic terms: accounting / accounting system / method of accounting = a bookkeeper's chronological list of related debits and credits of a business
- more specific term: analytical review = an auditing procedure based on ratios among accounts and tries to identify significant changes
- a variety show with topical sketches and songs and dancing and comedians
- a periodical that publishes critical essays on current affairs or literature or art
- a summary at the end that repeats the substance of a longer discussion
- (law) a judicial reexamination of the proceedings of a court (especially by an appellate court)
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic terms: legal proceeding / proceeding / proceedings = the institution of a sequence of steps by which legal judgments are invoked
- more specific terms:
- bill of review = a proceeding brought to obtain an explanation or an alteration or a reversal of a decree by the court that rendered it
- judicial review = review by a court of law of actions of a government official or entity or of some other legally appointed person or body or the review by an appellate court of the decision of a trial court
- practice intended to polish performance or refresh the memory
- a formal or official examination
- example: the platoon stood ready for review
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of review: inspection
- more generic words: examination / scrutiny = the act of examining something closely
- more specific terms: check-out procedure / checkout / check = the act of inspecting or verifying
Alternative definition of the noun review
- A second or subsequent reading of a text or artifact.
- An account intended as a critical evaluation of a text or a piece of work.
- [legal] A judicial reassessment of a case or an event.
- A stage show made up of sketches etc.
- A survey of the available items or material.
- A periodical which makes a survey of the arts or some other field.
- A military inspection or display for the benefit of superiors or VIPs.
- A forensic inspection to assess compliance with regulations or some code.
Definition of the verb review
What does review mean as a doing word?
Review is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: reviewed | reviewing | reviews
- look at again; examine again
- example: let's review your situation
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonym of review: reexamine
- more generic words: analyse / analyze / canvass / examine / study = consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover essential features or meaning
- appraise critically
- examples: She reviews books for the New York Times | Sam and Sue review the movie
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] The inspector analyzed the building [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] for [Attribute] The inspector analyzed the building for its soundness [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme, genitive]'s [Attribute] The inspector analyzed the building's soundness
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of review: critique
- more generic terms: evaluate / judge / pass judgment = form a critical opinion of
- more specific terms: peer review / referee = evaluate professionally a colleague's work
- hold a review (of troops)
- refresh one's memory
- look back upon (a period of time, sequence of events); remember
Alternative definition of the verb review
- To survey; to look broadly over.
- To write a critical evaluation of a new art work etc.; to write a review.
- [obsolete] To see again.
- [obsolete] To look back over in order to correct or edit; to revise.
Review is a Bulgarian new wave band that spawned in the late 1980s and has been one of the most influential acts in the history of Bulgarian rock music. It was founded by Vasil Giurov, Kiril Manchev, Boicho Karaboichev and Milena Slavova in 1985 in Sofia. Their first album was called Reviu-ІV.88-V.89 and includes 10 tracks. The band split up in 1990 and reformed in 2001. They released the album 10 in 2002. In 2003 Милена quit the band and left for England.
- also known as kale
- genres: New Wave, Post-punk
- album: "1989"
- "Review" is a compilation album from Mikuni Shimokawa. The album was released by Pony Canyon on December 17, 2003 and coded copyright PCCA-01967.
- genre: J-pop
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Review" is a musical album of Kyau & Albert.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Review" is a composition.
- "Review" is a musical album of My Friend the Chocolate Cake.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Review" is a musical album of Obsc(y)re.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Review" is a musical album of Willy Michl.
"Review" is a book by Open University.
Review is an American mockumentary comedy series starring Andy Daly as professional critic Forrest MacNeil, who provides reviews of real-life experiences. The series was created by Daly, and is an adaptation of the Australian television series Review with Myles Barlow. It premiered March 6, 2014, on U.S. cable television network Comedy Central.
- also known as Review with Forrest MacNeil
- begun on
- 9 episodes of 22 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- created by Andy Daly
- regular cast: Andy Daly as Forrest MacNeil since
- genre: Television comedy
review is a game.
- Review is an annotation category, tv genre.
- Review is an American magazine covering national and international economic issues. It is published by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- official website: research.stlouisfed.org/publications/review
- Review is a TV program, begun in (27 years ago).
- country: Australia
- Review: Document review is a critical component to most litigation and is used to identify responsive documents to produce and privileged documents to withhold. It is the time where the legal team can begin to gain a greater understanding of the factual issues in a case and where legal strategies can emerge and begin to develop based on the type of information that is found in the collection of documents.
Phrases with Review
Phrases starting with the word Review:
Phrases ending with the word Review:
- Bar review
- Law review
- book review
- Code review
- peer review
- bill of review
- limited review
- critical review
- judicial review
- literary review
- security review
- analytical review
- Utilization Review
Other phrases containing the word Review:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Review
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Literature Review (2016)
Six Steps to Success by Lawrence A. Machi, Brenda T. McEvoy
A literature review is a written argument that supports a thesis position by building a case from credible evidence obtained from previous research.
by Sharma Suresh
A literature review is an account of the previous efforts and achievements of scholars and researchers on a phenomenon. Actually, it is...
The Northwestern Miller (1917)
Rosenbaum iltehietn The Rosenbaum Review is the title of a weekly paper published by this firm every Saturday. Subscription price $5.00 per year— satisfaction guaranteed. Several hundred grain merchants and millers have been enrolled ...
Civil Litigation (2013)
by Colette Reid, Law Society of Ireland
Judicial review is a central feature of litigation in Ireland.
In its purest format, judicial review is the power possessed by the High Court and Supreme Court to declare that legislative and executive actions are null and void if they violate the ...
CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE (2013)
by JATINDRA KUMAR DAS
Review is a remedy sought or applied under special circumstances.
Government Accountability (2014)
by Judith Bannister, Gabrielle Appleby, Anna Olijnyk, Joanna Howe
Judicial review is the subject of Part IV. Part III consists of just two chapters, while Part IV extends to seven chapters.
A Multimodal and Cultural Approach by Anthony J. Onwuegbuzie, Rebecca Frels
“The Literature Review is a Summary of the Extant Literature” ) is rebutted by the following phrase: “organization, summarization, analysis,
If the literature review is an end in itself, it is in fact the parts of the research.
Second International Conference, ATVA 2004, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC, October 31 - November 3, 2004. Proceedings by Farn Wang
Review is a traditional technique for static analysis of software to detect faults possibly resulting in the violation of the consistency and validity of software systems. Basically, software review means to check through software either by a team or an individual.
involving many important human judgements and decisions, review is an effective technique for software verification and validation in practical ...
by Birley, Graham (Head, Education Research Unit, University of Wolverhampton), Neil (Associate Dean Moreland (School of Education, University of Wolverhampton)), Moreland, Neil (Associate Dean, School of Education, University of Wolverhampton)
First, as the words imply, a literature review is a critical analysis of the existing literature on your proposed research subject.
In many ways, therefore, a literature review is an important 'ground—clearing' exercise during a research project.
Judicial Review Handbook (2012)
by Michael Fordham
Judicial review is a wellestablished supervisory role by the Court over public bodies.
(“Judicial review is the procedure by which you can seek to challenge the ...
Reinvent the Heal (2012)
A Philosophy for the Reform of Medical Practice by James T. Hansen M. D.
Peer review is the finger in the dyke. This is where the government...
Supercollider 4 (2012)
by John Nonte
review is that there is at least one solution to the technical specification or technical parameters. The PDR reviews the changes to the level-3 specifications and discusses the technical design. The criterion for a successful review is an ...
Essays in Honour of Kenneth Kernaghan by Kenneth A. Rasmussen, David Siegel
The Review is the official journal of the International Institute of Administrative Sciences (IIAS) and appears four times a year. The IIAS is a government-funded NGO whose mission since 1930 has been to increase knowledge of public ...
by Stephen J. Wayne
Jndicial review is the best of practices, it is the worst of practices: it is an exercise in wisdom, it is an exercise in...
A Review of the proposals of the Albion Fire Insurance: also a continuation of the ... Globe's history, from where Mr. Stonestreet's ends. To these is added, a narrative of gross misbehaviour towards the public, in the British Critic ... on the subject of the appendix to the supplement to Johnson's Dictionary (1806)
by George MASON (of Aldenham, Herts.), afterwards STONESTREET GRIFFIN (George)
A REVIEW OF THE N.PROPOSALS OF THE JLBIOJV FMEBIW'SURJJVCE 2 ALSO A CONTINUATION, ' OF THE _ PORTENTOUS GLOBE'S HISTORY, FROM WHERE MR. STONESTREET'S ENDS. ~To THESE IS ADDED, A NARRATIVE ...
by Gary Land
Washington, DC: Review and Herald, 1987. Kress, Daniel H. The Cigarette as a Physician Sees It, Mountain View, CA: Pacific Press, 1931. Lantry, Eileen E. The Vitality Makers: A Turbocharged Life-style in Thirty Days. Boise, ID: Pacific Press, ...
Encyclopedia of Politics (2005)
The Left and the Right by Rodney P. Carlisle
THE NATIONAL REVIEW is a weekly magazine of conservative opinion, considered one of the most influential conservative magazines in the United States. The National Review features the writing of many of the nation's leading conservative ...
by Sarah Tenney, Norman K. Humphreys
QUOTA REVIEWS. The Fund is required by its Articles of Agreement to conduct, at intervals of not more than five years, a general review of quotas and propose any adjustments that it deems appropriate.
by Richard J. Samuels
REVIEW. (QDR). Administration report, released every four years, that is a crucial element in ongoing national security and military reforms aimed at identifying new threats and developing new strategies to combat those threats. In response to ...
by Watson E. Mills, Roger Aubrey Bullard
AS Asialische Studien ASORN American Schools of Oriental Research Newsletter ATR Anglican Theological Review AUSS Andrews University Seminary Studies BA Biblical Archaeologist BAR Biblical Archaeology Review BASOR Bulletin ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Review
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Review
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Review
Click on an item to play that video:
- 4. Back to the Board (Vocabulary Review)
The game 'Back to the Board' is a good way for students to understand and consolidate new vocabulary, by engaging and activating them into using their wider ...
- Ultimate Vocabulary Review
Top Ten Reviews puts Ultimate Vocabulary through its paces in this in-depth review.
- Everyday Actions - Picture Vocabulary Review
ESL/EFL Picture Vocabulary Review - Tableware...
- TOEFL Review Wednesday: Attacking vocabulary questions
A review of vocabulary questions and how you should attack them on your next TOEFL reading. For more help...
- Transportation - Picture Vocabulary Review
ESL/EFL Picture Vocabulary - Transportation...
- Oppo R7 Plus Review: Giving "Plus" a true meaning
Oppo has spent the last few generations of its R lineup building devices that defy the boundaries of design. The R5 was about thinness, The R7 about elegance ...
- The Meaning of Socialism: Q&A with National Review's Kevin Williamson
What's the real definition of socialism? How is it distinct from regulation and a social welfare state? Why are intellectuals still enamored of a system that brought ...
- Potential and Kinetic Energy Review Vocabulary
- Manhattan Review Vocabulary Builder
- Viswaroopam. Not a Review. Its an Explanation
some Facts about Kamal sir's viswaroopam movie.
- Metabones EF to M43 Speed Booster Review and Explanation + Testing Image Stabilization
Get it here...
- Office Supplies - Picture Vocabulary Review
ESL/EFL Picture Vocabulary Review - Office Supplies...
- Tannoy Definition DC10T Loudspeaker Review
- 21 day fix review from a licensed physical therapist along with explanation of the meal plan.
- Review Vocabulary
- Blind Spot Monitor Review & Explanation
Have you ever had a "fender bender" in a parking lot? Well, a Blind Spot Monitor may be just what you need! The technology uses sonar sensors to determine ...
- British English vs American English vocabulary review
This video reviews common English language vocabulary that is different in American English and British English.
- TTPOD T1 High Fidelity Definition Dual Dynamic Professional In-ear Earphone Review
- GCSE English Language revision how to write the perfect A* review
Follow the simple steps, practise and you should have no problem achieving an A*. Use the link below to access past exam questions: ...
- Figurative Language Review
Figurative Language Review.
- Mesa Engineering Recto-Verb 25 Combo Amp Review | Guitar Interactive Magazine
Review of the Mesa Engineering Recto Verb 25 Combo Amp With Michael Casswell Watch more reviews online...
- BenQ XL2430T 144Hz 1080p Gaming Monitor Review (Official ESL/MLG Monitor)
The Official Gaming Monitor of ESL and MLG. As used by Professional CSGO Gamers in the X Games Aspen Counter-Strike: Global Offensive tournament in ...
- Audio Advisor Review - MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL Loudspeaker
Audio Advisor takes a detailed look at the features, specifications, and performance of the MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL Loudspeaker with Dennis Chern, ...
- Mesa Boogie Recto Verb 25 Review (in English)
German guitarist HANS PLATZ testing the new Mesa Boogie Recto Verb 25 Head and 1 x 12" Cabinets. Review in English. For more, please visit ...
- Mesa Engineering Recto-Verb Twenty-Five guitar combo amp review demo
Mesa's latest giant-killer demo'd by Darran Charles Gear demos playlist...
- Review of Serbian Language Site
Showing the "Serbian Fun"...
- Understanding Language 3, week 3 review
This is the review of week 3 for the course 'Understanding Language: learning and teaching' from the University of Southampton and the British Council, October ...
- #154: Softrock Ensemble II SDR Rx circuit review | description | test
This video presents a walk-through of the schematic, review of the circuits, and demonstration of operation of each circuit in the Softrock Ensemble II Software ...
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Digital Compact Camera - Ken's Review & Description
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Digital Compact Camera - Ken's Review & Description.
- LEGO Star Wars: Visual Dictionary (Updated and Expanded) Review
See also the pronunciation examples of Review!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Feelings Sign Review - American Sign Language
Rachel teaches the Signs for Feelings from Signing Time Volume 4 - Family, Feelings & Fun.
- Move and Groove Sign Review - American Sign Language
Rachel Coleman, Emmy-nominated host of Signing Time, reviews the signs presented in Signing Time Series Two, Vol. 3 DVD: Move and Groove.
- Numbers 1 - 20 - Review in ASL (American Sign Language)
- American Sign Language (ASL) Alphabet Review
- Punggol Waterway Review in Sign Language
This video is done at the same time with Cravings Pastry Review in Sign Language. Hope this review provides a gleams of Singapore Punggol Waterway! ^^
Quotes about Review
I wish I could be like Shaw who once read a bad review of one of his plays, called the critic and said: 'I have your review in front of me and soon it will be behind me.' (Barbra Streisand)
more quotes about review...
Scrabble value of R1E1V4I1E1W4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of REVIEW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Review!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Review to see it in context!