Usage statistics for the adjective right:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun right
- Definition of the adjective right
- Definition of the adverb right
- Definition of the verb right
- Other definitions of right
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Right
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Right
- Usage statistics about right
- Photos about Right
- Video language resources about Right
- Sign language
- Quotes about Right
- Scrabble value of R1I1G2H4T1
- Anagrams of RIGHT
- Share this page
The word right is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun right
What does right mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- right: rights
- Right: Rights
- an abstract idea of that which is due to a person or governmental body by law or tradition or nature
- examples: they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights | Certain rights can never be granted to the government but must be kept in the hands of the people | a right is not something that somebody gives you; it is something that nobody can take away
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- more generic words: abstract / abstraction = a concept or idea not associated with any specific instance
- more specific terms:
- access = the right to obtain or make use of or take advantage of something
- advowson = the right in English law of presenting a nominee to a vacant ecclesiastical benefice
- cabotage = the exclusive right of a country to control the air traffic within its borders
- claim / title = an informal right to something
- due = that which is deserved or owed
- admittance / accession / admission / access / entree = the right to enter
- floor = the parliamentary right to address an assembly
- grant = a right or privilege that has been granted
- human right = any basic right or freedom to which all human beings are entitled and in whose exercise a government may not interfere
- legal right = a right based in law
- pre-emption / preemption = the right to purchase something in advance of others
- exclusive right / prerogative / perquisite / privilege = a right reserved exclusively by a particular person or group
- privilege = the right to refuse to divulge information obtained in a confidential relationship
- representation = the right of being represented by delegates who have a voice in some legislative body
- right of action = the legal right to sue
- right of search = the right of a belligerent to stop neutral ships on the high seas in wartime and search them
- right of way = the right of one vehicle or vessel to take precedence over another
- states' rights = the rights conceded to the states by the United States constitution
- voting right = the right to vote
- riparian right / water right = right of access to water
- location near or direction toward the right side; i.e. the side to the south when a person or object faces east
- example: he stood on the right
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- antonym: left
- more generic words: place / position = the particular portion of space occupied by something
- more specific terms: right stage / stage right = the part of the stage on the actor's right as the actor faces the audience
- the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's right
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of right: right field / rightfield
- more generic terms: parcel / parcel of land / piece of ground / piece of land / tract = an extended area of land
- part of: outfield = the area of a baseball playing field beyond the lines connecting the bases
- those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of right: right wing
- more generic words: faction / sect = a dissenting clique
- more specific terms:
- the hand that is on the right side of the body
- a turn toward the side of the body that is on the south when the person is facing east
- anything in accord with principles of justice
- (frequently plural) the interest possessed by law or custom in some intangible thing
Alternative definition of the noun right
- That which complies with justice, law or reason.
- A legal or moral entitlement.
- The right side or direction.
- [context: Politics] The ensemble of right-wing political parties; political conservatives as a group.
Definition of the adjective right
What does right mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: righter | rightest
- being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the east when facing north
- examples: my right hand | right center field | a right-hand turn | the right bank of a river is the bank on your right side when you are facing downstream
- antonym: left
- similar: far; rightmost; right-hand; starboard
- attribute: position / place = the particular portion of space occupied by something
- see also: right-handed
- free from error; especially conforming to fact or truth
- socially right or correct
- in conformance with justice or law or morality
- correct in opinion or judgment
- appropriate for a condition or purpose or occasion or a person's character, needs
- of or belonging to the political or intellectual right
- in or into a satisfactory condition
- examples: things are right again now | put things right
- similar: satisfactory
- intended for the right hand
- in accord with accepted standards of usage or procedure
- having the axis perpendicular to the base
- (of the side of cloth or clothing) facing or intended to face outward
- examples: the right side of the cloth showed the pattern | be sure your shirt is right side out
- adjective position: attributive adjective (it occurs before the noun)
- similar: outside
- (informal) very; used informally as an intensifier
- most suitable or right for a particular purpose
- precisely accurate
Alternative definition of the adjective right
- [archaic] Straight, not bent.
- Of an angle, having a size of 90 degrees, or one quarter of a complete rotation; the angle between two perpendicular lines.
- Complying with justice, correctness or reason; correct, just, true.
- Appropriate, perfectly suitable; fit for purpose.
- Healthy, sane, competent.
- Designating the side of the body which is positioned to the east if one is facing north. This arrow points to the right: →
- [archaic, sometimes, used in titles] To a great extent or degree.
- [context: Politics] Pertaining to the political right; conservative.
- [Australia] All right; not requiring assistance
Definition of the adverb right
What does right mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- precisely, exactly
- example: stand right here!
- example: she called right after dinner
- toward or on the right; also used figuratively
- examples: he looked right and left | the party has moved right
- antonym: left
- in the right manner; correctly; suitably
- an interjection expressing agreement
- synonym of right: right on
- (Southern regional intensive) very; to a great degree
- to a complete degree or to the full or entire extent (`whole' is often used informally for `wholly')
- in accordance with moral or social standards
- examples: that serves him right | do right by him
- synonym of right: justly
- in an accurate manner
Alternative definition of the adverb right
- On the right side.
- Towards the right side.
- Exactly, precisely.
- [British, Southern US, Appalachian] Very, extremely, quite.
- According to fact or truth; actually; truly; really
- In a correct manner.
Definition of the verb right
What does right mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: righted | righting | rights
- make reparations or amends for
- example: right a wrongs done to the victims of the Holocaust
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of right: compensate / correct / redress
- antonym of right: wrong
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific words:
- put in or restore to an upright position
- regain an upright or proper position
- make right or correct
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of right: correct / rectify
- more generic terms: change by reversal / reverse / turn = change to the contrary
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb right
- To correct.
- To set upright.
- [intransitive] To return to normal upright position.
Other definitions of right
What does right also mean?
- Yes, that is correct; I agree.
- I agree with whatever you say; I have no opinion.
- Signpost word used to change the subject in a discussion or discourse.
- Used to check agreement at the end of a sentence.
- "Right" is a song written by David Bowie for his Young Americans album in 1975.
- music and lyrics by David Bowie
- "Right" is a musical single of Fake.
- released in (31 years ago)
- "Right" a.k.a. "Right." is a musical album of Fall of Snow.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Right" is a musical single of The Sun Shipp.
- "Right" is a song by Bubba Sparxxx.
"Right" is a 2008 short film directed by Scott Stark.
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (7 years ago)
- Right is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Right a.k.a. The Right is a fictional anti-mutant organization in the Marvel Comics universe. The group first appeared in X-Factor #17 in June 1987.
- read more about The Right
- Right is an extension.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Right
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The 30 Day MBA (2013)
Your Fast Track Guide to Business Success by Colin Barrow
For you the marketer, being right means that there have to be enough people wanting your product or service to make the venture profitable; and ideally those numbers should be getting bigger rather than smaller. So inevitably marketing is ...
by Stephen E Atkins
Religion and the Racist Right: The Origins of the Christian Identity Movement. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1997. Bartley, Numan V. The Rise of Massive Resistance: Race and Politics in the South During the 1950 's.
by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo, Catherine Whitney
D'Adamo with Catherine Whitney Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution to Staying Healthy, Living Longer, and Achieving Your Ideal Weight Cook Right 4 Your Type: The Practical Kitchen Companion to ...
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
g describes the upper left primary first molar and describes the upper right second premolar. With the advent of electronic recording, the quadrant indicator may be replaced by UL, UR, LL, and LR to indicate the respective quadrants.
by Robert Bell
under the right of itltimus harres ; or of bastardy, are all that truly constitute the reTenue of the Crown in Scotland. Lest the King, in the transference of the property thus Tested in the Crown, might be involved in questions arising from the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Right
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about right
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the adjective right:
Usage statistics for the noun right:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun right and its most common antonyms:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective right:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective right and its most common antonyms:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb right:
Photos about Right
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: dtripanimation
Herts (right wing, 2000ft)
Photo credit: spadger_clogtoe
Photo credit: myeralan
Photo credit: Phejt
- ! left && ! right
Photo credit: amira_a
- Eyes Right
Three young girls carefully checking before crossing the street. Bacolod City, Philippines.
Photo credit: Beegee49
- Left and Right
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
- Wrong is right
Photo credit: lejoe
- Right leg
Photo credit: ontourwithben
- Turning right
Playing around some more with the Sony NEX-5
Photo credit: ooznu
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Right
Click on an item to play that video:
- Contractual right Meaning
Video shows what contractual right means. Something which may be done, in accordance with a contract.. Contractual right Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- ANTHONY GREEN - Do It Right [SONG MEANING]
From the album "Beautiful Things" available now on iTunes...
- Angle Bracket Stairway Right To Stringer Explanation
- Everyman's right Meaning
Video shows what everyman's right means. freedom to roam. Everyman's right Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say everyman's ...
- Shop right Meaning
Video shows what shop right means. In United States patent law, an implied license under which a firm may use a patented invention, invented by an employee ...
- Best Dictionary for Websites, Get Words Definition Right in the Website
Google dictionary for website, Website words definition, Online dictionary for website, words definition & meaning with voice pronunciation. Click this link for ...
- Hefajote Islam's claims explanation about women right By Farhad majahar
- RIGHT FROM OF VERB SAIFUL'S GRAMMAR
- RFOV: Right Form of Verb - Rule-01
- RIGHT FORM OF VERB SAIFUL'S GRAMMAR
- Language Assistance- Your Right to an Interpreter: English
This video will explain your rights to language assistance when accessing services from a government agency or federally funded organization. Legal Services ...
- CPRS Speaking the 'Right' Language with Denyse Johnson, CTC
Video highlight of Denyse Johnson, Global Communications and Media Relations Advisor for the Canadian Tourism Commission presenting at the Canadian ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Right!
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Garms Family - "The Right Time" (with sign language)
This beautiful song, written by Mosie Lister, has become one of The Garms Family's favorites to sing on stage. Listen to the words and you will understand why.
- Choose the right way, Primary Song, Sign Language
An instructional video of how to use simple sign for the LDS primary song 'Choose the right way'. THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL CHURCH INTERPRETATION.
- British Sign Language Alphabet Right Handed
This is an animation showing the BSL alphabet. Ideal for beginners, this can help you learn the alphabet or practice what you have learned alongside the video.
- British Sign Language is a language in it's own right
Quotes about Right
Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy. (Aristotle)
more quotes about right...
Scrabble value of R1I1G2H4T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RIGHT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Right!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Right to see it in context!