Rim appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- mirror rim
- Ewer of miry rim for ewe.
- Miry rim. So many daffodils slid off a dynamo's miry rim.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun rim:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun rim
- Definition of the verb rim
- Phrases with Rim
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Rim
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Rim
- Photos about Rim
- Video language resources about Rim
- Quotes about Rim
- Scrabble value of R1I1M3
- Anagrams of RIM
- Share this page
The word rim is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun rim
What does rim mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: rims
- the shape of a raised edge of a more or less circular object
- (basketball) the hoop from which the net is suspended
- the outer part of a wheel to which the tire is attached
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: hoop / ring = a rigid circular band of metal or wood or other material used for holding or fastening or hanging or pulling
- more specific words: felloe / felly = rim (or part of the rim) into which spokes are inserted
- part of: wheel = a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle
- a projection used for strength or for attaching to another object
- the top edge of a vessel or other container
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of rim: brim / lip
- more generic word: edge = a sharp side formed by the intersection of two surfaces of an object
- more specific terms: shoe collar / collar = the stitching that forms the rim of a shoe or boot
- part of: vessel = an object used as a container
Alternative definition of the noun rim
- An edge around something, especially when circular.
- [automotive] wheel rim
Specialised definition of the noun rim
Glossary of sports / basketball
an 18-inch metal ring that's attached to a backboard and holds a net
Definition of the verb rim
What does rim mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: rimmed, rimming
- run around the rim of
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme 1 - concrete object] [Verb] [Theme 2] Italy borders France
Verbs of Existence (with the same syntax): bestride, blanket, border, bound, bracket, bridge, cap, circle, cloak, contain, cover, edge, encircle, enclose, encompass, engulf, envelop, fence, fill, flank, follow, frame, head, hug, line, neighbor, overcast, overhang, precede, ring, skirt, span, straddle, support, surmount, surround, top, traverse, underlie, wreathe.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic terms: line / run along = be in line with
- more specific word: beard = go along the rim, like a beard around the chin
- furnish with a rim
- roll around the rim of
Specialised definition of the verb rim
Glossary of sports / golf
to roll around the edge of the cup
RIM a.k.a. BlackBerry Limited, formerly known as Research In Motion Limited, is a Canadian telecommunication and wireless equipment company best known to the general public as the developer of the BlackBerry brand of smartphones and tablets, but also well known worldwide as a provider of secure & high reliability software for industrial applications and Mobile Device Management. BlackBerry's software and hardware products are used worldwide by various government's agencies and by car makers and industrial plants throughout the world, much of this activity being unseen by the public. The company is headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. It was founded by Mike Lazaridis, who served as its co-CEO along with Jim Balsillie until January 22, 2012; as of November 2013, Saad assumes the new title of "Lead Director and Chair of Compensation". In November 2013, John S. Chen took over as CEO. His strategy is to subcontract manufacturing to Foxconn, and to focus on software technology.
- read more about BlackBerry Limited
Rim is a fictional character from the 2010 drama film The Flowers of Kirkuk.
"Rim" is a composition.
- The rim is the "outer edge of a wheel, holding the tire". It makes up the outer circular design of the wheel on which the inside edge of the tire is mounted on vehicles such as automobiles. For example, on a bicycle wheel the rim is a large hoop attached to the outer ends of the spokes of the wheel that holds the tire and tube.
- Rim: A rim is an external flange that is machined, cast, molded, stamped or pressed around the bottom of a firearms cartridge. The rim may serve a number of purposes, the most common being as the place for the extractor to engage.
- The rim of a coin is the up-raised part of the coin that completely encircles the diameter on both obverse and reverse sides. Not to be confused with the edge of the coin, which is also known as its "third side".
- Rim a.k.a. Nyaturu Language: The Turu or Nyaturu language, Kinyaturu, also known as Rimi Kirimi, is a Bantu language of spoken by the Wanyaturu AKA Arimi of the Singida region of Tanzania. Excluding the Bantu language prefixes Ke- and Ki-, other spellings of the language are Limi and Remi. Dialects of the three Turu tribes are Girwana of the Airwana in the north, Giahi of the Vahi in the south and west, and Ginyamunyinganyi of the Anyiŋanyi in the east.
- also known as Turu, Wanyaturu, Kinyaturu, Remi, Walimi, Kirimi, Kiremi, Keremi, Rimi, Limi, Turu language
- Rim a.k.a. regulating synaptic membrane exocytosis 1 is a gene.
- also known as RAB3-interacting protein 2, RAB3 interacting protein 2
- Rim a.k.a. retinoblastoma binding protein 8 is a gene.
- also known as retinoblastoma-binding protein 8, CTBP-interacting protein, retinoblastoma-interacting myosin-like
Phrases with Rim
Phrases starting with the word Rim:
Phrases ending with the word Rim:
Other phrases containing the word Rim:
- Red-Rim Melania
- Cedar Rim Thistle
- North Rim Primrose
- Yellow-Rim Cadlina
- Highland Rim Darter
- Kalalau Rim Dubautia
- Verde Rim Springsnail
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Rim
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Theory of Sets of Points (2013)
by William H. Young
The rim is a perfect set dense nowhere. Take a region which has ordinary external points. Let L be a rim point, since we then know by Theorem 3 that at least one exists. Draw any circle with L as centre. In this circle there is an external point Q, ...
by Canada. Patent Office
rim means travelling around said portion of its peak block and in close proximity thereto, and means for operatingly connecting said means for forming the travelling throat forming mechanism, to said travelling peak forming mechanism, ...
Getaway Ideas for the Local Traveler by Pam Hait
The more rugged and remote North Rim is a 230-mile drive from the southern park. Although it is possible to “do” the...
by Fanggui Wang, Hwankoo Kim
Then Rim is an FC domain for any maximal w-ideal m of R. (2) Let R be a WFC domain (resp., an FC domain) and let S be a multiplicative subset of R. Then Rs is a WFC domain (resp., an FC domain). Proof (1) This is trivial. (2) Let x = #, y ...
Algebraic Graph Theory (2013)
by Chris Godsil, Gordon F. Royle
Suppose that X is the shadow of a knot diagram, and let Z be the chord diagram whose rim is the straight eulerian tour of X,
The WPA Guide to Arizona (2013)
The Grand Canyon State by Federal Writers' Project
West is the white dot of Yavapai Point's observation station; east on the South Rim is the tiny finger of the Desert Watch...
3rd International Conference on [email protected], Tokyo, Japan, July 27-29, 2005, Proceedings by Shinji Shimojo, Shingo Ichii, Tok Wang Ling, Kwan-Ho Song
The RIM is a coherent, shared information model that is the source for the data content of all HL7 Version 3 messages. It provides an explicit representation of the semantic and lexical connections that exist between the information carried in ...
by Jonathan J Dutton
The superior rim is the most prominent due to expansion of the underlying frontal sinus. It is more protuberant in adult males. Its significance has been a matter of debate for over 100 years,48 but the most often cited explanation for it is that it ...
Handbook of Biosurveillance (2011)
by Michael M. Wagner, Andrew W. Moore, Ron M. Aryel
HL7 RIM The HL7 RIM is a standard information model (semantic standard) for medicine.
A Guide to Woburn Abbey (1831)
by John Docwra PARRY
Underneath the rim is a vine branch, encircling the whole, and round the base, which has cabled flutings, is a rich foliage which appears similar to parsley leaves, and may perhaps be intended for that plant, as it was a favourite one with ...
by Luigi Preziosi
a necessary condition for obtaining a tumour with a thin proliferating rim is that the external nutrient concentration be ...
A Table of Green Fields (1993)
Ten Stories by Guy Davenport
Its rim is the Latin for crown. Its bag with the twin eggs is the scrotum. That the ...
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
A temporary prosthetic appliance with a wax or resin occlusal rim used to record the vertical dimension and ...
In which the Words are Explained in Their Different Senses, Authorized by the Names of the Writers by Whom They are Used, Or the Titles of the Works in which They Occur, and Derived from Their Originals by John Jamieson
English Garo Dictionary (1988)
Rakiani, rim'- rikani, rim'rikgipa.- Wardrobe (word-rob'), ». Gane ding chinding, ganding chin<- ding ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Rim
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Rim
Click on an item to view that photo:
Not the rings of Saturn; The rim of a floor tom drum.
Photo credit: Gamma-Ray Productions
Photo credit: nrek!
Photo credit: Rogerio Anton
Photo credit: Tarje Lavik
Photo credit: Ole Husby
Photo credit: Tarje Lavik
- Broken rim
Photo credit: warrick1
- Mogollon Rim
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Grand Canyon North Rim
Photo credit: usareisetipps
- Show Car Rim shot
This is the rim head on on the Honda Civic Si custom show car at Pacific Stereo in the East Bay.
Photo credit: darinmarshall
- Grand Canyon, South Rim
Photo credit: alex ranaldi
- Broken rim
Ended a good ride with Leigh to find that the back wheel had suddenly buckled. Didn't think too much more until a closer look revealed a spoke has pulled through the rim
Photo credit: warrick1
- White rim from Grand View Point
Photo credit: dvs
- White Rim trail
Canyonlands N.P., Moab, UT
Photo credit: vtsr
- Golden Rim Shot
Photo credit: Peter 'lastfuture' Marquardt
- From the Rim
The view off the rim on a sunny summer day.
Photo credit: intotheforest
- Rim Trail rocks
Photo credit: stevendamron
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Rim
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of the Wedge Mouthpiece Rim
- Rim Meaning
Video shows what rim means. An edge around something, especially when circular.. wheelrim. rim pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Rim lock Meaning
Video shows what rim lock means. A lock and plate fixed to the surface of a door rather than morticed within the door.. Rim lock Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Declined! Tracy McGrady shows the world the true definition of "Rim Rocked!"
Tracy McGrady shows the world the true definition of "Rim Rocked!" When he Manages to Block his own lay up from a break away!!
- Description of Wedge Mouthpiece Rim Shape
This video shows the unique features of the Wedge mouthpiece rim.
- Hae Rim Talks about Using Youtube and Facebook in ESL Class
View more videos about Pacific Rim.
See also the pronunciation examples of Rim!
Quotes about Rim
Scrabble value of R1I1M3
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of RIM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Rim!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Rim to see it in context!