Robe appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- E. Borgnine drags Dad's gardening robe.
- I sew a lush Sultan robe now as I saw one born at lush Sulawesi.
- Slab myths I flesh to be bored: I, ugly man, ate lots of UFOs to let an amyl guide robe both selfish tymbals.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun robe
- Definition of the verb robe
- Phrases with Robe
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Robe
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Robe
- Usage statistics about robe
- Photos about Robe
- Video about Robe
- Quotes about Robe
- Scrabble value of R1O1B3E1
- Anagrams of ROBE
- Share this page
Robe is sometimes a misspelling of rob.
The word robe is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun robe
What does robe mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: robes
- any loose flowing garment
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: garment = an article of clothing
- more specific terms:
- outerwear consisting of a long flowing garment used for official or ceremonial occasions
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of robe: gown
- more generic words: outerwear / overclothes = clothing for use outdoors
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun robe
- A long loose outer garment, often signifying honorary stature.
Definition of the verb robe
What does robe mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: robed | robing | robes
- clothe formally; especially in ecclesiastical robes
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of robe: vest
- more generic terms: apparel / clothe / dress / enclothe / fit out / garb / garment / habilitate / raiment / tog = provide with clothes or put clothes on
- cover as if with clothing
- Robe is a town and fishing port located in the Limestone Coast of South Australia. The town's distinctive combination of historical buildings, ocean, fishing fleets, lakes and dense bush is widely appreciated. Robe lies on the southern shore of Guichen Bay, just off the Princes Highway. At the 2006 census, Robe had a population of 1,246. Robe is the main town in the District Council of Robe local government area. It is in the state electorate of MacKillop and the federal Division of Barker.
- Robe is one of the woredas in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia. It is named after the Robe River, 80 kilometers of which flows through the woreda. Part of the Arsi Zone, Robe is bordered on the south by the Shebelle River which separates it from the Bale Zone, on the southwest by Sherka, on the west by Tena, on the north by Sude, on the northeast by Amigna, and on the east by Seru. The administrative center of the woreda is Robe; other towns in Robe include Habe and Sedika.
- part of Ethiopia
- Robe is a Wine Region.
- Robe is a fictional character in the 2001 comedy film Max Keeble's Big Move.
- Robe is a fictional film character.
"ROBE" is a musical EP of Iku.
- released on (4 years ago)
"Robe" a.k.a. "The Robe" is a 1953 American Biblical epic film that tells the story of a Roman military tribune who commands the unit that crucifies Jesus. The film was made by 20th Century Fox and is notable for being the first film released in the widescreen process CinemaScope. Like other early CinemaScope films, The Robe was shot with Henri Chrétien's original Hypergonar Anamorphic lenses.
- also known as Das Gewand
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Henry Koster
- producer: Frank Ross
- art direction by Lyle R. Wheeler & George Davis
- written by Albert Maltz, Lloyd C. Douglas, Philip Dunne & Gina Kaus
- based on "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas
- Richard Burton as Marcellus Gallio
- Michael Rennie as Apostle Peter
- Victor Mature as Demetrius
- Jean Simmons
- Betta St. John
- Jay Robinson as Caligula
- Richard Boone as Pontius Pilate
- Cameron Mitchell as Jesus
- Dawn Addams
- Dean Jagger
- Jeff Morrow
- Ernest Thesiger as Tiberius
- Leon Askin
- Michael Ansara
- Harry Shearer
- Roy Gordon
- Peter Reynolds
- John Doucette
- Torin Thatcher
- George E. Stone
- Mae Marsh
- Frank de Kova
- Hayden Rorke
- Anthony Eustrel
- Ben Astar
- Sally Corner
- Percy Helton
- Rosalind Ivan
- Thomas Browne Henry
- Sam Gilman
- cinematography by Leon Shamroy
- edited by Barbara McLean
- music by Alfred Newman
- costume design by Emile Santiago
- set decoration by Walter M. Scott & Paul S. Fox
- location: Corriganville Movie Ranch
- genres: Epic film, Sword and Sandal film, Roadshow theatrical release, Christian film, Costume drama, Historical period drama, Drama
- subjects: Roman Empire, The Bible, Passion, Early Christianity
- No Special Glasses Needed!
- The First Picture on the New Miracle Curved Screen!
- The Greatest Story of Love, Faith, and Overwhelming Spectacle!
- The first motion picture in CinemaScope--the modern miracle you see without glasses!
- released in (63 years ago)
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Frank Ross
- Academy Award for Best Actor (Role: Marcellus Gallio) nomination for Richard Burton
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film nomination for Henry Koster
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Emile Santiago & Charles LeMaire
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for George Davis, Walter M. Scott, Paul S. Fox & Lyle R. Wheeler
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Henry Koster
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Leon Shamroy
- National Board of Review Award for Best Actress, received by Jean Simmons
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama, received by Henry Koster
- Academy Award for Best Production Design, received by Paul S. Fox, Walter M. Scott, George Davis & Lyle R. Wheeler
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design, received by Emile Santiago & Charles LeMaire
Robe: A robe is a loose-fitting outer garment. A robe is distinguished from a cape or cloak by the fact that it usually has sleeves. The English word robe derives from Middle English robe, borrowed from Old French robe, itself taken from the Frankish word *rouba, and is related to the word rob.
- also known as 길고 헐거운 겉옷
Phrases with Robe
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Robe
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Strategies of Argument (2014)
Essays in Ancient Ethics, Epistemology, and Logic by Mi-Kyoung Lee
Every robe is a cloak. (ii) Every robe is a cloak. Every cloak is useful. Every mantle is useful.
Gravity Dreams (2010)
by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
” “An aquacyan robe is an aquacyan robe.” A safe enough platitude, and true.
THREE-HUNDRED-MILE TIGER (2013)
THE RECORD OF LIN-CHI Translation and Commentary by Sokei-an by Sokei-an Sasaki
The robe is the attitude. We can create logical structures according to the nature of the brain, like monism, dualism or pluralism, but they have nothing to do with reality. You can observe reality from any standpoint, but reality itself is always the ...
by Elizabeth J. Lewandowski
pao Lonjumeau dress losse japon lucco lugadoo mameluke robe manda paradiya mang ao Manon robe manteau mantelletta mantua matine'e mayurakanthia Medici dress meghadambara melas morning gown mother hubbard mshono wa ...
Revised Full-Color Edition
A different Hebrew word, mĕ(îl H5077, is used in the OT to indicate an “exterior garment” or “robe” worn over an inner tunic or coat. It was like the qumbaz of modern Palestine, being a long and loosely fitting robe, probably sleeveless, worn ...
A Reference Book for the Wholesale and Retail Dry Goods Trade of the United States, Containing a Descriptive List of All the Standard Fabrics, Garments, and Related Articles of Merchandise ... with a History of Cotton, Silk, Wool, Flax, Jute, Ramie, Hemp and Other Commercial Fibers, and a Full Description of the Processes of Carding, Spinning, Weaving, Bleaching, Dyeing and Printing ... by George S. Cole
ROBE. A term at present admitting of numerous applications, but which in its original sense signifies (1), A gown,
of flowing gown worn for the purpose of symbolizing honor, dignity, or official authority: as, a bishop's robe; a judge's robe .
by Walter William Skeat
redf clothing, a robe, spoil, ...
Encyclopedia of Monasticism (2013)
by William M. Johnston
Buddhist monastic clothing consists of three primary garments: an inner skirt, a vestlike shirt, and an outer robe. The outer robe might be insulated. Nuns wear an additional bodice and skirt. In ancient India these were dyed a deep yellow, ...
Historic and Modern by Mary Brooks Picken
Child's long darlr robe ml' in panels, elbow lengl'h sleeves; lighl undersleeves; gored cap lo mmh robe. Gold iewelry. Mary, Queen of Scofs, wirh Son.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Robe
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about robe
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun robe:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb robe:
Photos about Robe
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: loloieg
Photo credit: kellyhogaboom
Photo credit: David Martín Cas
Photo credit: DaffyDuke
- Jill in a robe
Photo credit: Joe in DC
- Robe Customs House
Photo credit: seefit
- Fancy Robe
Getting ready for work at MAC.
Photo credit: flossyflotsam
- Duncan's Robe
Photo credit: Mary Sherman
- Robe Jetty
Photo credit: seefit
- Robe Pattern
Photo credit: peagreengirl
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Robe
Video shows what robe means. A long loose outer garment, often signifying honorary stature.. The skin of an animal, especially the bison, dressed with the fur on ...
View more videos about Buffalo robe.
See also the pronunciation examples of Robe!
Quotes about Robe
Scrabble value of R1O1B3E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ROBE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Robe!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Robe to see it in context!