The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun route:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun route
- Definition of the verb route
- Phrases with Route
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Route
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Route
- Photos about Route
- Video language resources about Route
- Quotes about Route
- Scrabble value of R1O1U1T1E1
- Anagrams of ROUTE
- Share this page
Route is sometimes a misspelling of wrote.
The word route is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
The word route and its family (routed, routes, routing) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun route
What does route mean as a name of something?
Route is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: routes
- an established line of travel or access
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of route: itinerary / path
- more generic word: line = a spatial location defined by a real or imaginary unidimensional extent
- more specific terms:
- feeder line = a branching path off of a main transportation line
- main line = the principal route of a transportation system
- data track / track = one of the circular magnetic paths on a magnetic disk that serve as a guide for writing and reading data
- flight path / air lane / airway / skyway = a designated route followed by airplanes in flying from one airport to another
- approach pattern / traffic pattern / pattern = the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport
- flight path = the path of a rocket or projectile or aircraft through the air
- round / beat = a regular route for a sentry or policeman
- bus route = the route regularly followed by a passenger bus
- line of flight = the path along which a freely moving object travels through the air
- line of march = the route along which a column advances
- celestial orbit / orbit = the (usually elliptical) path described by one celestial body in its revolution about another
- electron orbit / orbit = the path of an electron around the nucleus of an atom
- paper round / paper route = the route taken when delivering newspapers every day
- beeline = the most direct route
- circuit = an established itinerary of venues or events that a particular group of people travel to
- crosscut = a diagonal path
- supply route / supply line = a route over which supplies can be delivered
- line of fire = the path of a missile discharged from a firearm
- migration route / flyway = the geographic route along which birds customarily migrate
- fairway = the usual course taken by vessels through a harbor or coastal waters
- direction / way = a line leading to a place or point
- trade route = a route followed by traders
- instance: Northwest Passage = a water route between the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean along the northern coast of North America
- an open way (generally public) for travel or transportation
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of route: road
- more generic word: way = any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from one place to another
- more specific terms:
- access road / slip road = a short road giving access to an expressway
- bypath / byroad / byway = a side road little traveled
- causeway = a road that is raised above water or marshland or sand
- clearway = a road on which you are not allowed to stop
- corduroy = a road made of logs laid crosswise
- roundabout way / detour = a roundabout road
- parkway / drive = a wide scenic road planted with trees
- private road / driveway / drive = a road leading up to a private house
- main road / highway = a major road for any form of motor transport
- railway line / rail line / line = the road consisting of railroad track and roadbed
- post road = a road over which mail is carried
- roadway = a road (especially that part of a road) over which vehicles travel
- crosscut / shortcut / cutoff = a route shorter than the usual one
- side road = a minor road branching off of a main road
- skid road = a road made of logs on which freshly cut timber can be hauled
- speedway = road where high speed driving is allowed
- thoroughfare = a public road from one place to another
- cart track / cartroad / track = any road or path affording passage especially a rough one
- turnoff = a side road where you can turn off
- curve / bend = curved segment
- crest / crown = the center of a cambered road
- intersection / carrefour / crossroad / crossing / crossway = a junction where one street or road crosses another
- roadbed = a bed supporting a road
- shoulder / berm = a narrow edge of land (usually unpaved) along the side of a road
- traffic circle / roundabout / circle / rotary = a road junction at which traffic streams circularly around a central island
- turnaround = an area sufficiently large for a vehicle to turn around
- widening / turnout = a part of a road that has been widened to allow cars to pass or park
- substance: pavement / paving = the paved surface of a thoroughfare
Alternative definition of the noun route
- A course or way which is traveled or passed.
- A regular itinerary of stops, or the path followed between these stops, such as for delivery or passenger transportation.
- A road or path; often specifically a highway.
- The way to do something.
Definition of the verb route
What does route mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: routed | routing / routeing (rare form) | routes
- send documents or materials to appropriate destinations
- send via a specific route
- divert in a specified direction
Route is a publisher.
"Route" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Jay Farrar
"Route" is a book by Royal Automobile Club.
- route: In computing, route is a command used to view and manipulate the TCP/IP routing table in both Unix-like and Microsoft Windows operating systems. Manual manipulation of the routing table is characteristic of static routing.
- Route: A route is a path or pattern that a receiver in American football runs to get open for a forward pass.
- Route: A route in a geographic information system is: Any line feature, such as a street, highway, river, or pipe, that has a unique identifier. A path through a network.
Phrases with Route
Phrases starting with the word Route:
Phrases ending with the word Route:
- en route
- to route
- bus route
- Red route
- ship route
- Tram Route
- paper route
- trade route
- trunk route
- Scenic route
- supply route
- Kangaroo Route
- migration route
- Great Circle Route
- Le Dernier Pour La Route
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Route
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Chris Pasero, Margo McCaffery
The oral route is the most common and generally is selected before other routes because it is relatively safe, convenient, and inexpensive (Coyle, Cherny, Portenoy,
The transdermal route is an accepted alternative for long-term therapy.
With Special Itineraries, Table of Railway and Steamboat Fares, and an Appendix Describing the Columbian Exposition. Revised
The former route is the shorter, but, owing lo an advantage in connections, the latter is the route usually .followed by through travel. — Macon (Broicn House, Commercial, Hotel Lanier) is one of the most populous and prosperous cities of ...
The Monthly Chronicle (1841)
The Postmaster General is equally in error in saying that the average rate of compensation is about ninety dollars a mile, and that the sum paid on the London and Liverpool route is the highest rate paid. The amount paid on ten roads, at the ...
Advances in Catalysis (2014)
The first route is the dissociative adsorption of methanol on Lewis acid–base pairs: H3CO H j j Mn+ ÀO2À + CH3OH !Mn+ ÀO2À(2.21) and the second route is the interaction of the surface hydroxyl groups with the alcohol: Mn+ ÀOHÀ + CH3 ...
by Michael Davitt
The route is the roughest you are likely to travel in Queensland. The railway from Rockhampton to...
Crossing the part of the way which gives its name to the whole route is a frightful task for horses. The Razor-back ridge has to be literally ...
by Alexander Hiam
Riding your bike, walking, or jogging a set route is a tight activity; exploring a new route is a loose activity. Learning a choreographed dance routine is a tight activity; choreographing or improvising your own dance is a loose activity. What loose ...
by World Health Organization
LEVELOF EVIDENCE RECOMMENDATION Artesunate by the intravenous route is the treatment of choice, but if not possible, artemether by the intramuscular route is the preferred alternative for severe malaria in pregnancy during a malaria ...
by Donald C. Lee
Default routing scales the network, conserves resources, and simplifies routing information, A default route is a special route that tells the router how to reach unknown destinations — that is, destinations that are absent from the routing table ...
Lean Lexicon (2003)
A Graphical Glossary for Lean Thinkers by Lean Enterprise Institute, Chet Marchwinski, John Shook
Fixed-time, unfixed- quantity conveyance In this type of handling system, a material handler performs a standard route through a facility at precisely determined time intervals such as ...
Volume 12 - Pattern Recognition: Structural Description Languages to Reliability of Computer Systems by Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent
The different curves show drug administration by the oral route (Q) and intraperitoneal route (x) and test aggregations of one mouse (...), five mice (- -), and nine mice ( ). or other effect (EDg,). The elaborate calculations required can be ...
by Random House
repute, reroute, salute, Silk Route, ski boot, snakeroot, snowsuit, solute, spacesuit , sport-ute, square root, star fruit, statute, strong suit, sunsuit, sweatsuit, swim- suit, taproot, tracksuit, trade route, transmute, tribute, uproot, volute, wet suit, zoot ...
by John Anthony McGuckin
Because the Nubian Kingdom controlled the trade route between Roman Egypt and the sub-Saharan world in Late Antiquity, it also became a very important piece of the global puzzle within the later Byzantine and Islamic political strategies.
A-E by Charles Donald Spielberger
use the central route to persuasion when processing the advertisement. This person will carefully read the arguments at the bottom of the page and, assuming that the reader's cognitive responses are positive, will end up with a more positive ...
Current Encyclopedia (1901)
Of the 182 orders representing the increase the postal wagons issued 104 en route, the figures indicating that the opportunity was freely taken advantage of for sending small sums. The experience, in regard to registry and money orders, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Route
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Route
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Route forestiere
Photo credit: Napafloma-Photographe
- Route 5 - Northern Chile
Route 5 in Northern Chile.
Kevin Dooley's Pan-American Trek using Google Street View.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Proposed Polar Flight Route
- Toronto bike route
Toronto bike route with potholes and dump trucks
Photo credit: James D. Schwartz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Route
Click on an item to play that video:
- Derbyshire Dialect - Route 366
A report about dialect in Derbyshire, England.
- Tak any% route explanation [OUTDATED]
- Route Meaning
Video shows what route means. A course or way which is traveled or passed.. A regular itinerary of stops, or the path followed between these stops, such as for ...
- Route planner Meaning
Video shows what route planner means. A tool for finding optimal routes from one place to another, usually for traveling by car.. Route planner Meaning. How to ...
- Goemon's Great Adventure - Route Explanation
- PBAC, 10 part Bike Route explanation
- Lesson 18 Vocabulary ( route)
- Vocabulary parade route
- Rupee route with forest escape explanation
- Naval Academy Alaska Mountaineering Expedition route description
- 2014 Great Divide Mountain Bike Tour - Route Description, Day 1 and 2
Learn a little bit about the beginning of this year's tour, from arriving in Calgary to the end of night two at Boulton Creek Campground.
- Reading Half Marathon route description
- 2014 Great Divide Mountain Bike Tour - Route Description, Day 5 - 8
The adventure continues... Day 5: Kikomun Creek to Rexford Bench Day 6: Rexford Bench to Whitefish Bike Retreat Day 7: Free day in Whitefish Day 8: Shuttle ...
- IS-IS Route Leaking on IOS XR / IOS XR Routing Policy Language (RPL)
A sample from INE's CCIE Service Provider v 3.0 ATC.
- Everest Route Description (from Nepal) - Simulation using Google Earth
This simulation illustrates the typical routes used to climb Everest from the Nepal side. This was developed by Tony van Marken using Google Earth. This shows ...
- From Amsterdam to BAS Trucks | Route description
- 2014 Great Divide Mountain Bike Tour - Route Description, Day 3 and 4
The adventure continues... Day 3: Boulton Creek to Sparwood Day 4: Sparwood to Kikomun Creek along the Fernie Alternate (easier option) or through the ...
- Runher May 2013 Coastal Route Description
- From Arnhem to BAS Trucks | Route description
- Tofi Ventures - Mount Stephen, route description
Groove Ascent: 10:20 Descent : 17:50 Route description up Mount Stephen, the video is a big SPOILER for those who don't want to know what they're up ...
- Ramblers Routes Tutorial - Route Description (step 2)
Ramblers Routes tutorial video for the Wizard builder interface. This second video covers creating a great description for your route.
- 2014 VES Big Schloss Epic Route Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Route!
Quotes about Route
Scrabble value of R1O1U1T1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ROUTE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Route!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Route to see it in context!