Safety appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- No IT acolyte fastened a jade net safety location.
- One life disc is a byte fastener a web deity tied… beware, Net safety basics I defile, no?
- Sit in, O tire planer, to gigabyte-fast – so lame! – hi-fi tubs, but if I hem a lost safety bag, I got renal peritonitis.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun safety:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun safety and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun safety
- Definition of the verb safety
- Phrases with Safety
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Safety
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Safety
- Photos about Safety
- Video language resources about Safety
- Sign language
- Quotes about Safety
- Scrabble value of S1A1F4E1T1Y4
- Share this page
The word safety is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun safety
What does safety mean as a name of something?
Safety is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: safeties
- the state of being certain that adverse effects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions
- examples: insure the safety of the children | the reciprocal of safety is risk
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- antonym: danger
- more generic words: condition / status = a state at a particular time
- more specific words:
- biosafety = safety from exposure to infectious agents
- risklessness = safety as a consequence of entailing no risk
- invulnerability / impregnability = having the strength to withstand attack
- salvation = the state of being saved or preserved from harm
- security = the state of being free from danger or injury
- a safe place
- a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of safety: guard / safety device
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- (baseball) the successful act of striking a baseball in such a way that the batter reaches base safely
- domain: ball / baseball / baseball game
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of safety: base hit
- more generic word: hit = a successful stroke in an athletic contest
- more specific terms:
- home run / homer = a base hit on which the batter scores a run
- bingle / single = a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base
- two-base hit / two-bagger / two-baser / double = a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
- three-base hit / three-bagger / triple = a base hit at which the batter stops safely at third base
- contraceptive device consisting of a sheath of thin rubber or latex that is worn over the penis during intercourse
- a score in American football; a player is tackled behind his own goal line
Alternative definition of the noun safety
- The condition or feeling of being safe; security; certainty.
- antonym: danger
- [mechanics] A mechanism on a weapon or dangerous equipment designed to prevent accidental firing.
- [American football] When a player is either tackled in or loses the ball out of his team's own end zone resulting in two points for the opposite team.
- [American football] Any of the defensive players who are in position furthest from the line of scrimmage and whose responsibility is to defend against passes as well as to be the tacklers of last resort.
Specialised definition of the noun safety
Glossary of sports
the state of being free from danger or risk (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
for safety so that something is safe (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
either of two defensive backs, the strong safety and free safety, positioned behind the other defenders (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / American football
a play in which the offense carries the ball over its own goal line and does not take it back into the field of play, scoring two points for the defense (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
when a ball carrier is tacked in his own end zone after bringing the ball there under his own power; the defense earns 2 points and receives a free kick from the offense's own 20-yard line
Glossary of sports / billiards
a period of play in which both players attempt to prevent their opponent from scoring points by keeping the cue ball in positions from which pots are unlikely to be attempted (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- example: a long spell of safety brought to an end by a fluked red
Definition of the verb safety
What does safety mean as a doing word?
Specialised definition of the verb safety
Glossary of sports
to take safety precautions, safety measures to act to make sure something is safe. (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Safety is a US punk band.
- albums: "Safety / Red Tape Parade", "A Season of Bad Dreams", "Night Lights"
- "Safety" is the third solo album by King's X guitarist Ty Tabor. All songs were written, recorded, and mastered by Ty Tabor at Alien Beans Studios in Katy, TX.
- genre: Rock music
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Safety" is a musical album of Richard Davis.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Safety" is a musical album of Richmond Fontaine.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Safety" is a musical EP of The Undivided.
- released on
- "Safety" is a musical album of Two If By Sea.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Safety" is a musical single of Compulsion.
- "Safety" is a musical EP of Dropp Ensemble.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Safety" is a musical album of Vannadine.
"Safety" is a short film, directed by Rory Uphold.
- countries: Canada, United States of America
- language: English Language
- genre: Drama
- released in
- official website: safetyshortfilm.com
- Safety is the state of being "safe", the condition of being protected against physical, social, spiritual, financial, political, emotional, occupational, psychological, educational or other types or consequences of failure, damage, error, accidents, harm or any other event which could be considered non-desirable. Safety can also be defined to be the control of recognized hazards to achieve an acceptable level of risk. This can take the form of being protected from the event or from exposure to something that causes health or economical losses. It can include protection of people or of possessions.
- Safety is a position in American and Canadian football, played by a member of the defense. The safeties are defensive backs who line up from ten to fifteen yards behind the line of scrimmage. There are two variations of the position in a typical American formation, the free safety and the strong safety. Their duties depend on the defensive scheme. The defensive responsibilities of the safety and cornerback usually involve pass coverage towards the middle and sidelines of the field, respectively. While American formations generally use two safeties, Canadian formations generally have one safety and two defensive halfbacks, a position not used in the American game. As professional and college football have become more focused on the passing game, safeties have become more involved in covering the eligible pass receivers.
- Safety: In firearms, a safety or safety catch is a mechanism used to help prevent the accidental discharge of a firearm, helping to ensure safer handling.
- Safety: In distributed computing, safety properties informally require that "something bad will never happen" in a distributed system or distributed algorithm. Unlike liveness properties, safety properties can be violated by a finite execution of a distributed system. In a database system, a promise to never return data with null fields is an example of a safety guarantee. All properties can be expressed as the intersection of safety and liveness properties and most non-trivial properties are a mix of the two.
Phrases with Safety
Phrases starting with the word Safety:
- Safety car
- safety hat
- safety net
- safety nut
- safety pin
- safety arch
- safety belt
- safety bike
- safety bolt
- safety fuse
- safety isle
- safety lamp
- safety lock
- safety rail
- safety zone
- safety blitz
- safety catch
Phrases ending with the word Safety:
View more phrases with the word Safety in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Safety
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Safe Food (2010)
The Politics of Food Safety by Marion Nestle
Such discussions overlook a central fact: food safety is a highly political issue. Preventing food- borne illness involves much more than washing hands or cooking foods to higher temperatures. It involves the interests of huge and powerful ...
Primary Health Care in Practice by Anne McMurray, Jill Clendon
Cultural safety is a term that grew out of the colonial history of Aotearoa (New...
by T. S. S. Dikshith, Prakash V. Diwan
INTRODUCTION Food safety is an important worldwide issue, involving a large group of the population over a long period of time.
Food safety is a matter based on risk and benefit more than any other measurement. The food ...
by Laurian Unnevehr, Nancy Hirschhorn
Food safety is an issue of growing importance due to several worldwide trends in food systems.
Inadequate food safety is a significant contributor to the burden of disease in developing countries, and should be addressed as the food system ...
Designing Small Parks (2005)
A Manual for Addressing Social and Ecological Concerns by Ann Forsyth, Laura Musacchio, Frank Fitzgerald
ISSUES Safety is an issue in parks in several ways, particularly crime and fear of crime, issues of territory and turf, and...
by Eimear Muir-Cochrane, Patricia Barkway, Debra Nizette
Cultural safety is a concept derived from the discipline of nursing in New Zealand in the late ...
Food safety is a complex issue, determined by several elements, including scientific, social and political factors and legal and economic considerations. The/ Safety of a/ food/, food/product or food/ urugredtevt iy clefiarmisied/ by ity chemical/ ...
An Interprofessional Learning Model by Kathleen Gallo, Lawrence G. Smith
Viewed as an organizational imperative, patient safety is an aspect of quality of care.
Safe and Secure Cities (2014)
5th International Conference on Well-Being in the Information Society, WIS 2014, Turku, Finland, August 18-20, 2014. Proceedings by Kaija Saranto, Maaret Castrén, Tiina Kuusela, Sami Hyrynsalmi, Stina Ojala
Patient safety is the responsibility of all professionals involved in the provision of health care services. The risk of harm is increased in the critical care setting due to complex care needs and frequent procedures. Information management is a ...
by Jeanne Mager Stellman
International Chemical Safety Cards Chemical.
by David H. Guston
The Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA) is the federal agency charged with protecting Americans from harm in the workplace. Housed within the Department of Labor, OSHA regulates the manufacture and transport of hazardous ...
CSR, Sustainability, Ethics and Governance by Samuel O. Idowu, Nicholas Capaldi, Matthias S. Fifka, Liangrong Zu, René Schmidpeter
Schiopu Occupational safety and health (OSH) is a discipline dealing with the prevention of work-related injuries and diseases as well as the protection and promotion of the health of workers. OSH aims at the ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
safety and arming mechanism — (*) A dual function ...
Guns in American Society: An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law, 2nd Edition [3 volumes] (2012)
An Encyclopedia of History, Politics, Culture, and the Law by Gregg Lee Carter
Spitzer Gun safety courses and instruction are made available by and through private gun and sporting groups like the National Rifle Association, which has certified tens of thousands of instructors, and by some law enforcement ...
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
SAFETY FACTOR A multiplicative factor incorporated in risk assessments or safety standards to allow for unpredictable types of variation, such as variability from test animals to humans, random variation within an experiment, and ...
Design Dictionary (2008)
Perspectives on Design Terminology by Michael Erlhoff, Timothy Marshall
S SAFETY DESIGN Safety Design is a continuous process by which designers and other individuals, groups, and communities contribute solutions in an effort to reduce risk and avoid or ameliorate the impact of hazardous situations. Its aim is ...
An Encyclopedia by James Ciment
Safety,. Security,. and. Service. No single event since the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor¦with the possible exception of the assassination of President John F . Kennedy in 1963¦has affected the psyche of Americans as profoundly as the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Safety
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Safety
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Photo credit: RedButtons
Photo credit: jDevaun.Photography
Photo credit: dolbinator1000
Photo credit: bennylin0724
Photo credit: teofilo
Photo credit: NeverI
- Your Safety
Photo credit: JetSharkLambo
- Safety prints
Photo credit: renaissancechambara
- Safety Goggles
Mom rescued some tools from the old boat-slip including these goggles.
Photo credit: codersquid
- Safety Goggles
Photo credit: codersquid
- Electrical safety
Photo credit: kalleboo
- AHTD District 2 Safety Day
Derrick Dutton, Backhoe/Front End Loader Operator
Photo credit: Arkansas DOT
- Guggenheim Safety Competition
- Guggenheim Safety Competition
- Safety Precations
Notice that you are not supposed to mess with the girls hair...
Photo credit: Peter Hellberg
- Safety light
Photo credit: p_a_h
- Safety Plants (!)
"Please DO NOT MOVE these plants. They are a safety feature."
Photo credit: futureshape
- Safety Show Props
One never tires of the plane safety announcements.
Photo credit: cogdogblog
- Safety message
Photo credit: Mr Wabu
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Safety
Click on an item to play that video:
- What is the Definition of Safety
- Learn Vocabulary and Pronunciation English Lesson 28: Safety
This new vocabulary and pronunciation lesson will help you learn new word through interesting lessons of a bizarre nature. Your host, Teacher Phil, is an ...
- High School Chemistry Lab Safety Vocabulary
This is a list of vocabulary terms and their meanings, that are commonly introduced and used in high school chemistry class.
- Principle of Intrinsic Safety - Explanation of Intrinsic Safety Technology - Phoenix Contact
- Wizz Air Steward; Can't understand his English during flight safety explanation
One more reason Wizz Air sucks. Couldn't understand this steward on the flight from Budapest to London (the staff were Lithuanian). You see the stewardess ...
- Business Travel Safety: Definition of a Worker
- Business Travel Safety: Definition of Business
- M1 Exit MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Test 2 With Explanation.
Part 2/Test2 of the M1 Exit Exam. Included instructor intro/explanation. Second test after completing the Motorcycle Skills & Safety Training Course.
- Safety meaning and pronunciation
An extremely stupid game, consisting of one person farting, then quickly saying 'Safety' before the other person can say 'Doorknob'. If the other person says ...
- M1 Exit MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Test 5(Final) With Explanation.
Part 5/Test 5(Final) of the M1 Exit Exam. Included instructor intro/explanation. Fifth and final test after completing the Motorcycle Skills & Safety Training Course.
- Climbing Safety - Belay Vocabulary and Commands
To View the Next Video in This Series Please...
- Fuziah: BN MPs fail to understand meaning of 'safety'
Anti-Lynas protesters held a short protest in front of Parliament on the sidelines of a debate in the setting up of a Parliamentary Select Committee on Lynas ...
- Safety Meaning
Video shows what safety means. The condition or feeling of being safe; security; certainty.. A mechanism on a weapon or dangerous equipment designed to ...
- Stay Safe Explanation Video - Personal Safety Tracker - iPhone & Android Mobile App
StaySafe Personal Safety Tracker app notifies your emergency contacts if you don't check in safely after working, relaxing or travelling alone, providing your ...
- Harvist Solutions: Health & Safety - Explanation video
Health & Safety is a key focus point in your organisation. Recording and tracking incidents and safety concerns is a vital part of your safety culture. But are you ...
- M1 Exit MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Test 3 With Explanation.
Part 3/Test 3 of the M1 Exit Exam. Included instructor intro/explanation. Third test after completing the Motorcycle Skills & Safety Training Course.
- Safety Meaning for CLIDE
- M1 Exit MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Test 4 With Explanation.
Part 4/Test 4 of the M1 Exit Exam. Included instructor intro/explanation. Fourth test after completing the Motorcycle Skills & Safety Training Course.
- KTMA safety electrical & mechanical lock system explanation
KTMA safety electrical & mechanical lock system explanation...
- Keep It Simple for Safety - Don't Use Jargon
A video for healthcare professionals illustrating the importance of using plain language when speaking with patients.
- ESL Work Safety
A Story about Work Safety.
- Hospitality Housekeeping Safety: Universal Language (Safety Video) - 5036A
- Product Safety Engineers Job Description
Product Safety Engineers Job Description.
- Health Safety Engineer Job Description
Health Safety Engineer job description. Learn about Health Safety Engineer jobs, responsibilities, salaries and more.
- Language is the Heart of Patient Safety
Moe Rustom of Detroit has been a nurse for more than 23 years and understands the challenges of limited English proficiency in patients as a provider.
- Lucas Opposes Inclusion of Senate Food Safety Language in the CR
Ranking Member Frank Lucas took to the House floor to oppose the rules for debate for the Continuing Resolution, which includes the Senate food safety ...
- Video job description - Safety Kleen Montrose
- Industrial Safety and Health Engineers Job Description
Industrial Safety and Health Engineers Job Description.
- SET - Safety English Test - Language Solutions International
The SET is an online safety English test for industry, validating a candidate's ability to operate in English where safety is a priority. Find out more: ...
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialists Job Description
Occupational Health and Safety Specialists Job Description.
See also the pronunciation examples of Safety!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Air India Flight Safety Announcement with India Sign Language
On the flight to Mumbai the safety announcement was in Hindi and ISL. Then in English with the same Sign. Interesting.
- British Sign Language - General Online Safety Advice from Lisa and Sam
Some outputs in British Sign Language from a Safer Internet Day #SID2014 activity with deaf young people and youth workers at Swansea Deaf Centre ...
- Simple Safety Guidelines - British Sign Language
Quotes about Safety
Scrabble value of S1A1F4E1T1Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Safety to see it in context!