Satire appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Satire: Veritas.
- Marge, let dam dogs in. Am on satire! Vow I am Cain. Am on spot. Am a Jap sniper. Red, raw murder on GI. Ignore drum. (Warner rips pajama tops.) No maniac, Ma! Iwo veritas: no man is God - Mad telegram.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun satire:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun satire
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Satire
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Satire
- Photos about Satire
- Video language resources about Satire
- Quotes about Satire
- Scrabble value of S1A1T1I1R1E1
- Anagrams of SATIRE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun satire
What does satire mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: satires
- witty language used to convey insults or scorn
- example: Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of satire: caustic remark / irony / sarcasm
- more generic words: humor / humour / wit / witticism / wittiness = a message whose ingenuity or verbal skill or incongruity has the power to evoke laughter
Satire is a genre of literature, and sometimes graphic and performing arts, in which vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, corporations, government or society itself, into improvement. Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon and as a tool to draw attention to both particular and wider issues in society.
- also known as 讽刺
- "Satire" is a written work.
- author: Juvenal
- released in (49 years ago)
- "Satire" is a book by George A. Test.
- also known as "Satire: spirit and art"
- "Satire" is a book by Gilbert Cannan.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Satire
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Critical Synoptics (2000)
Menippean Satire and the Analysis of Intellectual Mythology by Carter Kaplan
Menippean satire is the process of language inquiring into a multitudinous, manifold reality. Embracing a broadened program of synoptic inquiry, Menippean satire is a practice whereby a spectrum of particulars, facts, and perceptions of ...
On the Discourse of Satire (2003)
Towards a Stylistic Model of Satirical Humor by Paul Simpson
capture the special discoursal and pragmatic features that characterise this pervasive and popular form of contemporary humorous discourse; it is, in this respect, as much concerned with "how" satire means as it is with "what" satire means.
Speaking Rights to Power (2013)
Constructing Political Will by Alison Brysk
—Mark Twain Satire is a timehonored tactic for deflating authority and empowering the vox populi. Its fundamental...
Finally, satire is the most participatory genre; it is rarely simply consumed but often expands through audience response.
by Christian Thorne
Satire is the Tories' defiant gambit to make good on that oxymoron.
Redeeming Laughter (1997)
The Comic Dimension of Human Experience by Peter L. Berger
Broadly put, satire is the deliberate use of the comic for purposes of attack. If it is thus broadly defined, satire is present in almost all forms of comic expression. It can weave in and out of comic communication, and it can be at least momentarily ...
A Serrated Edge (2003)
A Brief Defense of Biblical Satire and Trinitarian Skylarking by Douglas Wilson
Satire is a kind of preaching.
Volume 13: Gender by Nancy Bercaw, Ted Ownby
Questioning traditions and stereotypes using satire is a valuable way to effect ...
V.S. Naipaul, Chinua Achebe, Salman Rushdie by John Clement Ball
Satire is a prevalent but largely untheorized mode of representation in postcolonial fiction. This book explores theoretical problems posed by satiric postcolonial novels written in English and then examines the generic, rhetorical, and political ...
by Peter Auger
satire (noun; satirize (verb); satirical (adjective); Horatian, Juvenalian, Menippean) A composition that pokes fun at individual or social failings. It holds up an unflattering mirror to ...
by Salvatore Attardo
Satire: A critical reintroduction. Louisville: Kentucky University Press. Rose, M. ( 1979). Parody//Meta-fiction. London, UK: Croom Helm. Rosenheim, E. W. (1963). Swift and the satirist's art. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. Sutherland, J.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Satire
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Satire
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Satire
Click on an item to play that video:
- Satire Meaning
Video shows what satire means. A literary device of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject often as an intended means of provoking or preventing ...
- Satire Definition
Definition of Satire.
- Satire Vocabulary
- 3. BreadBits - Satire, Repetition, Anaphora, Metaphor, Tone , Slang Diction
Made with 100% Kanye West.
- Benghazi: Hillary's Benghazi explanation (musical satire)
From BlameGame Music comes Benghazi! This is musical satire on politics, which is the ultimate BlameGame.
- Slang Satire Project BHS
- AP Language Satire Movie - Police Brutality
By: Trent Thomas, Arbaz Pathan, Fritz Medenilla, and Beverly Passos.
- The Language Barrier (DCLugi PC Satire)
Dave Coyne aka DCLugi and DCLugiTV present "The Language Barrier". This is a cutting edge Satire by DCLugi on being Politically Correct. T.L.B. is "The ...
- AP English Language Satire Project
- Satire Language Arts
- Political Satire on YCP Leader Rajendranath over Japaneese Language in AP : Mr Mallanna | HMTV
Political Satire on YCP Leader Rajendranath over practice of Japaneese Language by TDP Ministers : Mr Mallanna | HMTV HMTV, a leading Telugu News ...
- Satire on AP CM Chandrababu Naidu speaking Japan Language : Mr Mallanna | HMTV
Satire on AP CM Chandrababu Over his Japan Language: Mr Mallanna | HMTV News. HMTV, a leading Telugu News Channel, brings to you all the latest news ...
- AP Language Arts Satire Project
- Language arts 3 Satire
- AP Language Satire Project
- Satire Project: Language Arts 8th Grade
- AP Language Satire Project
- AP Language Satire Project
- ESL Advanced Comedy and Satire The Onion
To join a class...
- AP Language: Satire Project
- Copy of AP Language and Composition Satire Project (Teen Obsessions)
- The Language and Math Exam (PARCC & Standardized Test Satire)
- AP Language and Composition Satire Project 2014 Block 1
- Satire Project - AP Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Satire!
Quotes about Satire
Scrabble value of S1A1T1I1R1E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine