Sauce appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Miss Smith's fish-sauce shop seldom sells shellfish.
- There's horseradish sauce on this shot silk short-sleeved shirt.
(by Jenny Forbes)
- Suzie Seaword's fish-sauce shop sells unsifted thistles for thistle-sifters to sift.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sauce
- Definition of the verb sauce
- Phrases with Sauce
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sauce
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sauce
- Photos about Sauce
- Video language resources about Sauce
- Quotes about Sauce
- Scrabble value of S1A1U1C3E1
- Anagrams of SAUCE
- Share this page
Sauce is sometimes a misspelling of source.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sauce
What does sauce mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sauces
- flavorful relish or dressing or topping served as an accompaniment to food
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- more generic word: condiment = a preparation (a sauce or relish or spice) to enhance flavor or enjoyment
- more specific terms:
- anchovy sauce = made of white sauce and mashed anchovies
- hot sauce = a pungent peppery sauce
- hard sauce = butter and sugar creamed together with brandy or other flavoring and served with rich puddings
- horseradish sauce / sauce Albert = creamy white sauce with horseradish and mustard
- tartare sauce / tartar sauce = mayonnaise with chopped pickles and sometimes capers and shallots and parsley and hard-cooked egg
- wine sauce = white or veloute sauce with wine and stock variously seasoned with onions and herbs
- mushroom wine sauce / marchand de vin = brown sauce with mushrooms and red wine or Madeira
- bread sauce = creamy white sauce made with bread instead of flour and seasoned with cloves and onion
- plum sauce = for Chinese dishes: plum preserves and chutney
- peach sauce = for Chinese dishes: peach preserves and chutney
- apricot sauce = for Chinese dishes: apricot preserves and chutney
- pesto = a sauce typically served with pasta
- ravigotte / ravigote = veloute sauce seasoned with chopped chervil, chives, tarragon, shallots and capers
- remoulade sauce = a mayonnaise sauce flavored with herbs and mustard and capers
- salad dressing / dressing = savory dressings for salads
- garlic sauce / aioli sauce / aioli = garlic mayonnaise
- barbecue sauce = spicy sweet and sour sauce usually based on catsup or chili sauce
- hollandaise = eggs and butter with lemon juice
- bearnaise = a sauce like hollandaise but made with white wine and tarragon and shallots instead of lemon juice
- Bercy butter / Bercy = butter creamed with white wine and shallots and parsley
- bordelaise = brown sauce with beef marrow and red wine
- bourguignon sauce / Burgundy sauce / bourguignon = reduced red wine with onions and parsley and thyme and butter
- sauce Espagnole / brown sauce = bouillon or beef stock thickened with butter and flour roux and variously seasoned with herbs or Worcestershire etc.
- sauce Espagnole / Espagnole = brown sauce with tomatoes and a caramelized mixture of minced carrots and onions and celery seasoned with Madeira
- Chinese brown sauce / brown sauce = a sauce based on soy sauce
- chocolate sauce / chocolate syrup = sauce made with unsweetened chocolate or cocoa and sugar and water
- cocktail sauce / seafood sauce = usually catsup with horseradish and lemon juice
- Colbert butter / Colbert = butter creamed with parsley and tarragon and beef extract
- bechamel sauce / white sauce / bechamel = milk thickened with a butter and flour roux
- demi-glaze / demiglace = sauce Espagnole with extra beef stock simmered down and seasoned with dry wine or sherry
- gravy = a sauce made by adding stock, flour, or other ingredients to the juice and fat that drips from cooking meats
- spaghetti sauce / pasta sauce = any of numerous sauces for spaghetti or other kinds of pasta
- mole = spicy sauce often containing chocolate
- sauce chausseur / hunter's sauce = brown sauce and tomato puree with onions and mushrooms and dry white wine
- mushroom sauce = brown sauce and sauteed mushrooms
- mustard sauce = sauce of prepared mustard thinned with vinegar and vegetable oil with sugar and seasonings
- shrimp sauce / Nantua = white sauce with whipping cream and shrimp butter
- Hungarian sauce / paprika sauce = veloute sauce with sauteed chopped onion and paprika and cream
- pepper sauce / Poivrade = for venison: brown sauce with sauteed vegetables and trimmings and marinade and plenty of pepper
- Smitane = veloute or brown sauce with sauteed chopped onion and dry white wine and sour cream
- white onion sauce / Soubise = veloute sauce with sauteed chopped onions and whipping cream
- brown onion sauce / Lyonnaise sauce = brown sauce with sauteed chopped onions and parsley and dry white wine or vinegar
- veloute = white sauce made with stock instead of milk
- allemande sauce / allemande = egg-thickened veloute
- caper sauce = allemande sauce with capers
- poulette = allemande sauce with chopped parsley
- curry sauce = allemande sauce with curry powder and coconut milk instead of stock
- Worcestershire sauce / Worcester sauce / Worcestershire = a savory sauce of vinegar and soy sauce and spices
- snail butter = for preparing snails: butter seasoned with shallots and garlic and parsley
- Newburg sauce = lobster butter and cream and egg yolks seasoned with onions and sherry or Madeira
- part of: dish = a particular item of prepared food
Alternative definition of the noun sauce
- A liquid (often thickened) condiment or accompaniment to food
- cheek, impertinence
- [context: usually "the"] booze, alcohol
- [bodybuilding] anabolic steroids
- [US, slang, 1800s] Vegetables.
Definition of the verb sauce
What does sauce mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sauced | saucing | sauces
- behave saucily or impudently towards
- dress (food) with a relish
- add zest or flavor to, make more interesting
Alternative definition of the verb sauce
- to add sauce to something
- to act in a cheeky manner
Phrases with Sauce
- hot sauce
- soy sauce
- duck sauce
- Fish sauce
- hard sauce
- mint sauce
- plum sauce
- soya sauce
- taco sauce
- wine sauce
- Wing Sauce
- aioli sauce
- apple sauce
- bread sauce
- brown sauce
- caper sauce
- chili sauce
- cream sauce
- curry sauce
- fudge sauce
View more phrases with the word Sauce in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sauce
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Asian Fusion (2011)
A Culinary Odyssey of Vegan Recipes by Chat Mingkwan
Chile sauces are prepared Asian seasonings that can be used as condiments or mixed into a dish. Asian black bean garlic sauce is a sweet, mild, and smoky chile sauce that often is used as a flavor enhancer in salad dressings and soups.
Mastering the Grill (2010)
The Owner's Manual for Outdoor Cooking by David Joachim, Andrew Schloss
Thick, red-brown, sweet, and spicy, hoisin sauce is a mainstay of Chinese cooking. It is often used...
Fish sauce (also called nam pla): Made by fermenting salted fish, fish sauce is an ancient and important flavoring in Southeast Asian dishes.
Dictionary of Flavors (2017)
by Dolf De Rovira, Sr.
Soy sauce is a cultured soy product using Aspergillus oryzea as the fermenting agent. See Soy Sauce and Appendix 2. Uses for soybeans follow: Ground soybean – Added to many dishes for the addition of nutrients, flavor, and thickness.
The Food of London (2012)
A Culinary Tour of Classic British Cuisine by Kathryn Hawkins
Brown sauce is a combination of spicy sweet and vinegary sour flavors, and it is good when served with a traditional English breakfast. COLEMAN'S MUSTARD: The manufacture of mustard powder has for the last century been synonymous in ...
The Energy Edge (2013)
by Pamela M. Smith
Although pasta with red sauce is a relatively low-fat choice, order it in a side dish or appetizer portion topped with steamed or grilled seafood, chicken, or fish. Ask for your salad with dressing on the side, and never hesi- tate to request a red ...
Asian Flavors (2005)
Unlock Culinary Secrets with Spices, Sauces, and Other Exotic Ingredients by Wendy Sweetser
Fish sauce is an indigenous ingredient in Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Cambodian cuisines where it is known respectively as nam pla, nuoc mam, patis, and nguoc mam. Made from fermented fish or shrimp, fish sauce is rich in protein and ...
by Beverly Bennett, Ray Sammartano
Yield: VA cups Prep time: 2 or 3 minutes Serving size: 2 tablespoons Spicy peanut sauce is a commonly used ingredient in Thai cuisine, and this one can be used as a salad dressing, a sauce for stir-fries and other dishes, and a dipping sauce ...
Delicious Recipes That Bring the Heat by Rachel Rappaport
Frank's® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce is the perfect condiment to drizzle on your eggs, but that isn't all you can do with it. Frank's® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce is the perfect ingredient to incorporate into pretty ...
Ruhlman's Twenty (2011)
20 Techniques, 200 Recipes, A Cook's Manifesto by Michael Ruhlman
Sauce is a fundamental part of a dish, not an accessory. And that's how you should think of...
Introductory Foods (2016)
by CTI Reviews
hollandaise sauce is an emulsion of butter and lemon juice or vinegar using egg yolks as the emulsifying agent, usually seasoned with salt and a little white pepper or cayenne pepper. It is a French sauce, so named because it was believed to ...
BBQ USA (2003)
425 Fiery Recipes from All Across America by Steven Raichlen
Hoisin sauce is a thick, sweet Chinese table sauce made primarily of fermented soybean paste and sugar. There are several options for rice wine: You can use brown Chinese rice wine or the clear Japanese sake, or you could even use a ...
by Don Mauer
sauce is a thick, spicy-sweet Asian sauce made from sugar and soybeans,
Asian fish sauce is an extremely pungent, strong-flavored, and salty liquid made from fermented anchovies, water, and salt.
by Ellen Brown
Japanese soy sauce is the major ingredient, so it can be used as an alternative. poppy seed Poppy seeds are the mature seeds of the beautiful flower that also produces opium; the seeds are so tiny, it takes abut 900,000 seeds to produce a ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica, Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature (1823)
sauce nuda ventricosa. Nuc. 2, osseaz, 2-loculares. 287. MESSERCHMlDIA. Nuc. 2, suberosre. Cor. sauce nuda, insundib. Sect. Ill. Flora: manopdali,inserifletrqfiotrmi .
The Visual Food Encyclopedia (1996)
condiment that originated in China, where it has been used for over 2,500 years, soy sauce is a key ingredient in Asian cuisine. Shoyu(its Japanese name) is thought to have been brought to Japan during the 7th century by Buddhist monks; ...
The Grilling Encyclopedia (1994)
An A-to-Z Compendium of how to Grill Almost Anything
There are three techniques commonly used to thicken marinades for use as a sauce. There is some debate on whether marinades are more effective when covered or left exposed to air. Refrigerated marinades should definitely be covered or ...
cooked and uncooked foods, what to eat and how to eat it ...
SWEET TOMATO SAUCE. Boil for one hour four tomatoes, with sufficient water to cover, together with one small onion, one tablespoonful sugar, one tablespoonful lemon juice, a pinch of mustard, ginger, and cinnamon, two sprigs each of ...
Encyclopaedia medica (1900)
Stewed cucumber and cheese sauce. Stilton cheese. Pine biscuits. Toasted gluten flour bread. Dinner Puree of lettuce or spinach. Turbot and tartar sauce. (See infra.) Roast chicken and water-cress.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sauce
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sauce
Click on an item to view that photo:
In goes the sauce. Looks like chili chicken!
Photo credit: vitamindave
Photo credit: diongillard
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: bjorn512
Photo credit: rick
- Homemade Ribs with Phil's BBQ sauce
Photo credit: drukelly
- Pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce.
Photo credit: Michael Salazar
- Sauce vodka
Photo credit: pterjan
- Layer 1: Sauce
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Fries with sirachi sauce
Photo credit: Stephen O
- Bike Sauce Butts
Photo credit: Commodore Gandalf Cunningham
- Lasagnetta sauce
Photo credit: illustir
- Soba with soy-ginger dipping sauce
Photo credit: moonlightbulb
- Dim sum dipping sauce
Taken by Feng
Photo credit: irrational_cat
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sauce
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sauce Meaning
Video shows what sauce means. A liquid (often thickened) condiment or accompaniment to food.. tomato sauce (similar to US tomato ketchup), as in:. Alcohol ...
- Marchand de vin sauce Meaning
Video shows what marchand de vin sauce means. A rich, buttery sauce made with red wine, meat stock, onions and other ingredients.. Marchand de vin sauce ...
- Hollandaise sauce Meaning
Video shows what hollandaise sauce means. An emulsion of butter and lemon juice using egg yolks as the emulsifying agent, used in French cooking..
- Apple sauce Meaning
Video shows what apple sauce means. A food prepared by pureeing cooked apples.. (nonsense, balderdash, bunk, piffle).. Apple sauce Meaning. How to ...
- Weak Sauce meaning and pronunciation
Describes an event or object that lacks inesnity and/or fails to fully accomplish its purpose. Used to degrade, or convey ones dissatisfaction in something.
- Special sauce Meaning
Video shows what special sauce means. A basic ingredient in McDonald's Big Mac hamburgers, a sort of Thousand Island dressing (now called Big Mac sauce ...
- Barbecue sauce Meaning
Video shows what barbecue sauce means. A fruity, tangy sauce, usually light brown in color, often served with meats.. Barbecue sauce Meaning. How to ...
- Hot Cheeto Sauce (Jargon & SamGoody)
- Marie Rose sauce Meaning
Video shows what Marie Rose sauce means. A condiment made from a blend of ketchup and mayonnaise, most often served with seafood, especially prawns.
- Mint sauce Meaning
Video shows what mint sauce means. A sauce, made with mint and vinegar, that is a popular accompaniment to roast lamb.. Mint sauce Meaning. How to ...
- Hunger is the best sauce Meaning
Video shows what hunger is the best sauce means. Being hungry makes one less concerned about the taste of one's food.. Hunger is the best sauce Meaning.
- Hot Cheeto Sauce Round 2 (Jargon & SamGoody)
- Definition of The Sauce
- Lengua en salsa holandesa.Language in hollandaise sauce
- Peter Piper Pizza TV Spot: Sauce Baby- English Language
- Hot Methi Sauce Description
- Spicy Mild Curry Sauce Description
- 18 + only due to language lasagna sauce and no pants
- How to Say Sauce in Georgian language
View more videos about Hot sauce, Soy sauce, Fish sauce, soya sauce, Wing Sauce, Brown sauce, Green sauce, Pasta Sauce, Pizza sauce, Steak sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Mother Sauce, Oyster sauce, Tomato sauce, Shirley sauce, Tartare Sauce, Cocktail sauce, Ranchero Sauce, Worcester sauce, Sweet-and-Sour Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and Hunger Is a Good Sauce.
See also the pronunciation examples of Sauce!
Quotes about Sauce
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
more quotes about sauce...
Scrabble value of S1A1U1C3E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SAUCE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sauce!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sauce to see it in context!