The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun screw:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb screw:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb screw and its most common antonym:
Definition of SCREW
What does SCREW mean?
- someone who guards prisoners
- a simple machine of the inclined-plane type consisting of a spirally threaded cylindrical rod that engages with a similarly threaded hole
- more generic term: inclined plane = a simple machine for elevating objects
- a propeller with several angled blades that rotates to push against water or air
- a fastener with a tapered threaded shank and a slotted head
- more generic words: fastener / fastening / fixing / holdfast = restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
- more specific terms:
- Allen screw = a screw with a hexagonal hole in the head
- bolt = a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
- cap screw = a threaded screw for machine parts
- machine screw = a screw used either with a nut or with a tapped hole
- metal screw = screw made of metal
- setscrew = a screw (often without a head) that fits into the boss or hub of a wheel or cam etc. and prevents motion of the part relative to the shaft on which it is mounted
- setscrew = a screw that is used to adjust the tension on a spring
- thumbscrew = screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers
- woodscrew = a metal screw that tapers to a point so that it can be driven into wood with a screwdriver
- worm = screw thread on a gear with the teeth of a worm wheel or rack
- slang for sexual intercourse
- usage: dirty word / filth / obscenity / smut / vulgarism; argot / cant / jargon / lingo / patois / slang / vernacular
- synonyms of screw: ass / fuck / fucking / nookie / nooky / piece of ass / piece of tail / roll in the hay / screwing / shag / shtup
- more generic terms: carnal knowledge / coition / coitus / copulation / intercourse / relation / sex act / sexual congress / sexual intercourse / sexual relation = sexual activity between individuals, especially the insertion of a man's penis into a woman's vagina until orgasm and ejaculation occur
- have sexual intercourse with
- examples: Sam and Sue screw | Sam cannot screw Sue
- synonyms of screw: bang / be intimate / bed / bonk / do it / eff / fuck / get it on / get laid / have a go at it / have intercourse / have it away / have it off / have sex / hump / jazz / know / lie with / love / make love / make out / roll in the hay / sleep together / sleep with
- more generic words: copulate / couple / mate / pair = engage in sexual intercourse
- more specific words:
- turn like a screw
- cause to penetrate, as with a circular motion
- tighten or fasten by means of screwing motions
- defeat someone through trickery or deceit
- A simple machine, a helical inclined plane.
- A (usually) metal fastener consisting of a shank partially or completely threaded shank, sometimes with a threaded point, and a head used to both hold the top material and to drive the screw either directly into a soft material or into a prepared hole.
- [nautical] A ship's propeller.
- An Archimedes screw.
- [slang] A prison officer.
- [vulgar] Sexual intercourse; the act of screwing.
- [slang] Salary, wages.
- [billiards] Backspin.
- [transitive] To connect or assemble pieces using a screw.
- antonym: unscrew
- [transitive, vulgar, slang] To have sexual intercourse with.
- synonyms: fuck [taboo slang]
- [transitive, slang] To cheat or treat unfairly. Sometimes seen in the form 'screw (someone) over'.
- synonym: [Australia] root (2)
- [intransitive, slang] To be angry.
- synonym: [British] shag (2)
- [transitive, slang] To forget or not care about
- [transitive] To apply pressure on; to put the screws on.
- [transitive] To contort
- [soccer, transitive] To miskick (a ball) by hitting it with the wrong part of the foot.
Phrases with SCREW
Phrases starting with the word SCREW:
- screw up
- screw cap
- screw eye
- screw key
- screw log
- Screw Off
- Screw Back
- screw bean
- screw jack
- Screw Over
- screw pile
- screw pine
- Screw Shoe
- Screw That
- Screw This
Phrases ending with the word SCREW:
- cap screw
- lag screw
- Set Screw
View more phrases with the word SCREW in thesaurus!
SCREW is an Aviation waypoint.
Screw is a Japanese visual kei rock band signed to Indie PSC after leaving their previous label, Speed-Disk. The band was formed by vocalist Byo and Yuuto, who had previously been a band together known as JOKER before its disbandment.
- also known as Screw band
- genres: Alternative metal, Metalcore, Rock music, Hard rock
- albums: "The First Liberation 『錯乱SCREAM』", "The Second Liberation 『HEARTLESS SCREEN』", "The Third Liberation 『FINALE OF SCREW』", "七色ノ冷艶歌", "ネジれた紫想", "RACIAL MIXTURE", "Fusion of the core", "VENOM", "VIRUS", "RAGING BLOOD", "Gather Roses", "Wailing Wall", "DUALITY", "X-RAYS", "ANCIENT RAIN", "Cursed Hurricane", "糜爛-BIRAN-", "BRAINSTORM", "DEEP SIX", "SCREW", "TOUR09 X-RAYS OF SCREW and ANAPHYLAXIS", "XANADU", "Teardrop"
- official website: www.indie-psc.com/screw
- "Screw" (stylized as SCREW) was the J-pop singer, Kotoko's 14th single. This single was released on December 16, 2009. The titular track was used as the theme song for Mamoru Oshii's film Assault Girls.
- music by Takase Kazuya
- "SCREW" is a musical album of Screw.
- released on
- Screw: A screw is a mechanism that converts rotational motion to linear motion, and a torque to a linear force. It is one of the six classical simple machines. The most common form consists of a cylindrical shaft with helical grooves or ridges called threads around the outside. The screw passes through a hole in another object or medium, with threads on the inside of the hole that mesh with the screw's threads. When the shaft of the screw is rotated relative to the stationary threads, the screw moves along its axis relative to the medium surrounding it; for example rotating a wood screw forces it into wood. In screw mechanisms, either the screw shaft can rotate through a threaded hole in a stationary object, or a threaded collar such as a nut can rotate around a stationary screw shaft. Geometrically, a screw can be viewed as a narrow inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder.
- Screw is a weekly pornographic magazine published in the United States aimed at heterosexual men. It was first published in 1968 by Al Goldstein and was printed weekly in tabloid form. Founder Al Goldstein has won a series of obscenity cases. Longtime singer-songwriter Barry Manilow wears a T-shirt featuring their logo on one of his early albums.
- Screw or Moonshine is a card game where the players try to be the first to lose all their cards. Like Palase, it is derived from the Danish.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for SCREW
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing and Design (1995)
Volume 52 - Solid-Liquid Separation: Clarifiers and Thickeners Selection to Specific Gravity and Specific Heats by John J. McKetta Jr
Screw feeders are designed to control the flow of a specified amount of material uniformly as it is fed from a bin or hopper. They are totally enclosed conveyors. Uniform withdrawal from the bin or hopper is the chief objective sought when ...
Delaware Composites Design Encyclopedia (1990)
Processing and Fabriactaion Technology by University of Delawa
CARRIAGE POSITIONING RAM MOLD LOCKING RAM MOLD CAVITY TWO- PART MOLD SCREW MOTOR INJECTION RAM feedstock from the hopper through a heated barrel section where the charge is melted. The action of the screw in the ...
Encyclopedia of Materials, Parts and Finishes, Second Edition (2012)
by Mel Schwartz
which is damaged by the shearing action of screw extrusion, and for cellulose nitrate, whose extreme heat sensitivity and inflammability make ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for SCREW
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about SCREW
Slightly rusted screw in a fence.
Photo credit: James Bowe
A tiny screw.
Photo credit: Uwe Hermann
Screw thread at extreme magnification (somewhere between 24x and 96x). (Explore)
Photo credit: kevin dooley
Screw macro shot.
Photo credit: LawPrieR
- Screw threads
Gold screw threads on a pair of earring posts.
Photo credit: MAURO CATEB
View more pictures about Dj Screw, screw auger and Screw Loose.
Videos about SCREW
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slang in English - SCREW
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Screw hooks or screw rings
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = bolt and screw industry
- Easyboot Screw Set Explanation
Explains the different screws that come in EasyCare's Easyboot Screw Set.
- 1.1.2 Description of Screw gauge
Description of Screw gauge.
View more videos about Screw Up.
See also the pronunciation examples of SCREW!
Quotes about SCREW
The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. (Dave Barry)
more quotes about screw...
Scrabble value of S1C3R1E1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SCREW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of SCREW!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of SCREW to find many related words and phrases!