The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun screw:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb screw:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb screw and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun screw
- Definition of the verb screw
- Phrases with Screw
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Screw
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Screw
- Photos about Screw
- Videos about Screw
- Quotes about Screw
- Scrabble value of S1C3R1E1W4
- Anagrams of SCREW
- Share this page
The word screw is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun screw
What does screw mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: screws
- someone who guards prisoners
- a simple machine of the inclined-plane type consisting of a spirally threaded cylindrical rod that engages with a similarly threaded hole
- a propeller with several angled blades that rotates to push against water or air
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of screw: screw propeller
- more generic words: propeller / propellor = a mechanical device that rotates to push against air or water
- part of: outboard / outboard motor = internal-combustion engine that mounts at stern of small boat; ship = a vessel that carries passengers or freight
- a fastener with a tapered threaded shank and a slotted head
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: fastener / fastening / fixing / holdfast = restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
- more specific terms:
- Allen screw = a screw with a hexagonal hole in the head
- bolt = a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
- cap screw = a threaded screw for machine parts
- machine screw = a screw used either with a nut or with a tapped hole
- metal screw = screw made of metal
- setscrew = a screw (often without a head) that fits into the boss or hub of a wheel or cam etc. and prevents motion of the part relative to the shaft on which it is mounted
- setscrew = a screw that is used to adjust the tension on a spring
- thumbscrew = screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers
- woodscrew = a metal screw that tapers to a point so that it can be driven into wood with a screwdriver
- worm = screw thread on a gear with the teeth of a worm wheel or rack
- slang for sexual intercourse
- usage: dirty word / filth / obscenity / smut / vulgarism; argot / cant / jargon / lingo / patois / slang / vernacular
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of screw: ass / fuck / fucking / nookie / nooky / piece of ass / piece of tail / roll in the hay / screwing / shag / shtup
- more generic terms: carnal knowledge / coition / coitus / copulation / intercourse / relation / sex act / sexual congress / sexual intercourse / sexual relation = sexual activity between individuals, especially the insertion of a man's penis into a woman's vagina until orgasm and ejaculation occur
Alternative definition of the noun screw
- A simple machine, a helical inclined plane.
- A (usually) metal fastener consisting of a shank partially or completely threaded shank, sometimes with a threaded point, and a head used to both hold the top material and to drive the screw either directly into a soft material or into a prepared hole.
- [nautical] A ship's propeller.
- An Archimedes screw.
- [slang] A prison officer.
- [vulgar] Sexual intercourse; the act of screwing.
- [slang] Salary, wages.
- [billiards] Backspin.
Definition of the verb screw
What does screw mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: screwed | screwing | screws
- have sexual intercourse with
- examples: Sam and Sue screw | Sam cannot screw Sue
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of screw: bang / be intimate / bed / bonk / do it / eff / fuck / get it on / get laid / have a go at it / have intercourse / have it away / have it off / have sex / hump / jazz / know / lie with / love / make love / make out / roll in the hay / sleep together / sleep with
- more generic words: copulate / couple / mate / pair = engage in sexual intercourse
- more specific words:
- turn like a screw
- cause to penetrate, as with a circular motion
- tighten or fasten by means of screwing motions
- example: Screw the bottle cap on
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] Linda taped the picture [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Linda taped the box shut [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Linda taped the label and the cover together [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Linda taped the picture to the wall [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs whisk easily | Most labels tape easily [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Labels and covers tape easily together [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] together [Adverb] Labels and covers tape together easily [Patient 1 - solid] [Verb] [Adverb] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Labels tape easily to that kind of cover
Verbs of Combining and Attaching (with the same syntax): anchor, band, belt, bolt, bracket, buckle, button, cement, chain, cinch, epoxy, fetter, glue, handcuff, harness, hinge, hitch, hook, knot, lace, lash, lasso, latch, leash, link, lock, loop, manacle, moor, muzzle, nail, padlock, peg, pin, plaster, rivet, rope, seal, shackle, skewer, solder, staple, stitch, strap, string, tack, tape, tether, thread, thumbtack, tie, trammel, truss, wire, yoke, zip.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- antonym: unscrew
- more generic words: fasten / tighten = make tight or tighter
- defeat someone through trickery or deceit
Alternative definition of the verb screw
- [transitive] To connect or assemble pieces using a screw.
- antonym: unscrew
- [transitive, vulgar, slang] To have sexual intercourse with.
- synonyms: fuck [taboo slang]
- [transitive, slang] To cheat or treat unfairly. Sometimes seen in the form 'screw (someone) over'.
- synonym: [Australia] root (2)
- [intransitive, slang] To be angry.
- synonym: [British] shag (2)
- [transitive, slang] To forget or not care about
- [transitive] To apply pressure on; to put the screws on.
- [transitive] To contort
- [soccer, transitive] To miskick (a ball) by hitting it with the wrong part of the foot.
Specialised definition of the verb screw
Glossary of sports / billiards
if a player screws the cue ball back, he imparts backspin on it such that it recoils after striking the object ball (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Screw is a Japanese visual kei rock band formed in March 2006 by vocalist Byou and Yuuto, who were previously in the band Joker before its disbandment.
- also known as Screw band
- genres: Alternative metal, Metalcore, Rock music, Hard rock
- albums: "錯乱SCREAM", "HEARTLESS SCREEN", "FINALE OF SCREW", "七色ノ冷艶歌", "ネジれた紫想", "RACIAL MIXTURE", "Fusion of the core", "VENOM", "VIRUS", "RAGING BLOOD", "Gather Roses", "Wailing Wall", "DUALITY", "X-RAYS", "ANCIENT RAIN", "Cursed Hurricane", "糜爛-BIRAN-", "BRAINSTORM", "DEEP SIX", "SCREW", "TOUR09 X-RAYS OF SCREW and ANAPHYLAXIS", "XANADU", "Teardrop", "FUGLY", "PSYCHO MONSTERS"
- official website: www.pscompany.co.jp/screw
- "Screw" was 14th single by the J-pop singer, Kotoko, was released on December 16, 2009. The title track was used as the theme song for Mamoru Oshii's film Assault Girls.
- music by Takase Kazuya
- "SCREW" is a musical album of Screw.
- released on
- "SCREW" is a musical single of KOTOKO.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "SCREW" is a musical album of The Checkers.
- released on (27 years ago)
- "Screw" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Robert Smith
- Screw is a fictional character from the 2002 film Ken Russell's Fall of the Louse of Usher.
- Screw is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Sweeney.
- Screw is a fictional film character.
There are other characters with in their name, like The Amazing Screw-On Head.
SCREW is an Aviation waypoint.
- Screw: A screw is a mechanism that converts rotational motion to linear motion, and a torque to a linear force. It is one of the six classical simple machines. The most common form consists of a cylindrical shaft with helical grooves or ridges called threads around the outside. The screw passes through a hole in another object or medium, with threads on the inside of the hole that mesh with the screw's threads. When the shaft of the screw is rotated relative to the stationary threads, the screw moves along its axis relative to the medium surrounding it; for example rotating a wood screw forces it into wood. In screw mechanisms, either the screw shaft can rotate through a threaded hole in a stationary object, or a threaded collar such as a nut can rotate around a stationary screw shaft. Geometrically, a screw can be viewed as a narrow inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder.
- also known as Pesawat sederhana sekrup
- SCREW was a weekly pornographic tabloid newspaper published in the United States aimed at heterosexual men; according to a statement on the cover, it offered "Jerk-Off Entertainment for Men". It was first published in November 1968 by Al Goldstein and Jim Buckley, and was printed weekly in tabloid form. At its peak, SCREW sold 140,000 copies a week. Founder Al Goldstein won a series of nationally significant obscenity cases.
- Screw, Moonshine, or Popcorn is a card game where the players try to be the first to lose all their cards. Like Palase, it is derived from the Finnish card game Paskahousu.
Phrases with Screw
Phrases starting with the word Screw:
- Screw It
- screw up
- Screw cap
- screw eye
- screw key
- screw log
- Screw Off
- Screw You
- Screw Back
- screw bean
- screw jack
- Screw Over
- screw pile
- screw pine
- Screw Shoe
Phrases ending with the word Screw:
View more phrases with the word Screw in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Screw
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A screw is an unsound horse that looks like a sound one; a valuable animal in appearance, in~ reality a worthless brute. Our regular screw is a sort of equestrian cheat, a will-o'-the-wisp leading men astray, a gay going deceiver, an actor, ...
Force, Motion, and Energy by John B. Beaver, Ph.D., Barbara R. Sandall, Ed.D.
A screw is an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder or cen— tral point. In otherwords...
by Jack Phillips
that, whereas a motion screw is a line with a pitch which is the same as that of the rate of twisting that may occur about it. an action screw is a line with a pitch which is the same as that of the wrench that may act ...
Chambers's Encyclopædia (1887)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People
The outer and coarser screw is the one to which the...
Principles of BOI (2005)
Clinical, Scientific, and Practical Guidelines to 4-D Dental Implantology by Stefan Ihde
Summary The tuberopterygoid screw is a good option for securing load ...
being a practical display of the manufactories and mechanical arts of the United Kingdom by John Nicholson
Of all the hydraulic machines invented by the ancients, though Archimedes's screw is the most curious, the tympanum raises the greatest quantity of water at once. It consists of a great hollow wheel, composed of several planks joined together, ...
by Philip D. Rufe
A barrier screw is a standard screw with an extra flight in the transition (melting) zone that divides it into two channels, one for melt and one for pellets. The new flight is not full diameter, so there is a gap over which the melt can pass into its ...
The customs officers think the screw is a trigger mechanism of some sort, and want us to open the crate. As we comply we show, explain and reassure them of what it is and what has happened. Still having doubts, they decide to go through ...
Rational Kinematics (1989)
by Jorge Angeles
and is called screw algebra. Both quaternion and screw algebras can be regarded as subsets of linear algebra. Hence the motion of rigid ...
Including Mechanics and Hydrostatics by Sir John Leslie
The Screw is a most efficient Mechanical Power. It consists of a ridge or groove winding about a cylinder, and cutting at the same angle every line on the surface drawn parallel to the ...
by F. J. Britten
A Screw Cutting Lathe is provided with a leading screw, by means of which the saddle whereon the slide rest is planted is caused to traverse the bed with regular progression as the mandril rotates. The connectionbetween the mandriland ...
The Engineer's and Mechanic's Encyclopaedia, Comprehending Practical Illustrations of the Machinery and Processes Employed in Every Description of Manufacture of the British Empire ... (1836)
by Luke Hebert
little oval to enable the slides to move nearer to, or farther from, each other, if necessary ; c cc c are four pieces of metal firmly fixed to plate a, and having a screw in each, which presses on the slides b b ; d is a plate of metal or brass, sliding ...
body Part between the shank and the lead screw. fluted land Cutting edge forming the edge of the land. land Flat surface between the flutes. lead screw Threaded pointed end for centering the ...
Compounding Processes, Product Design, and Specifications - Volume 3 of 4 (Print) by Leonard I. Nass
and the Maillefer screw (sold through Syncro-Machine Company) with its feed and metering sections overlapping and alternating, an arrangement that promotes shearing and melting. Next, there are two-stage screws available from most ...
Such are the machines for shaping the outward form of the stock, the barrel and ramrod grooves, the screw holes, the butt for plate, the receptacle for the lock, &c "With full sets of hands the Springfield and Harper's Ferry armories are each ...
by Peter Lund Simmonds
Screw, a spirally grooved cylinder of metal or wood; that which works a screw ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Screw
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Screw
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: MonkeyMyshkin
Photo credit: JWPhotowerks
Photo credit: franzkohler
Photo credit: XoMEoX
A tiny screw.
Photo credit: Uwe Hermann
Gate valve in the boiler house of the Brighton engineerium
Photo credit: Elsie esq.
Photo credit: rockyjvec
Photo credit: midnightcomm
Photo credit: Emilio_13
- One way screw
Photo credit: James Bowe
- Screw through PCB
Photo credit: [email protected]
- SCREW'ed Screwed
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
You'll face theese if you want to disassemble the SX-70 completely
Photo credit: mediavrog
- Cork Screw Monster
Photo credit: gmoorenator
- Screw Coaster
Photo credit: thecrypt
View more pictures about Screw It.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Screw
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slang in English - SCREW
- Screw Meaning
Video shows what screw means. A device that has a helical function. A simple machine, a helical inclined plane. A (usually) metal fastener consisting of a shank ...
- Archimedean screw Meaning
Video shows what Archimedean screw means. An Archimedes' screw.. Archimedean screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Screw off Meaning
Video shows what screw off means. To remove the lid of a jar or other container by unscrewing it.. To fail to do one's work, to goof off.. To go away at someone's ...
- Capstan screw Meaning
Video shows what capstan screw means. A type of screw commonly used to regulate the height of the action in a piano. The capstan screw is designed to be ...
- Allen screw Meaning
Video shows what Allen screw means. A screw whose head has a hexagonal socket.. Allen screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Set screw Meaning
Video shows what set screw means. A screw with threads the entire length and no head. Typically, setscrews have a hex or slot drive recessed in the threaded ...
- Easyboot Screw Set Explanation
- Don't Screw Out Your Concocted Meaning
- Screw Society And Their Twisted Definition Of Beauty.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Screw hooks or screw rings
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = bolt and screw industry
- 1.1.2 Description of Screw gauge
Description of Screw gauge.
- Discovery Channel Program in Bangla Language -- How TO Made a Screw for fighter plane use
This is a tv show in discovery channel in bangla language. This contain is only for those people who interested to know about world.
- Description Oat meal valve bag filling with screw feeder P1030281
Description Oat meal valve bag filling with screw feeder.
View more videos about Screw Up, cap screw, Screw cap, Screw You, Screw Back, Screw Over, screw pile, screw pine, Screw Shoe, wood screw, Screw Drive, Screw Loose, stage screw, Screw thread, machine screw, Hex Head Screw, Phillips screw, Robertson screw, Screw the Pooch, Self-tapping screw, and Self-Drilling Screw.
See also the pronunciation examples of Screw!
Quotes about Screw
The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. (Dave Barry)
more quotes about screw...
Scrabble value of S1C3R1E1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SCREW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Screw!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Screw to see it in context!