The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun screw:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb screw:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb screw and its most common antonym:
The word screw is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun screw
What does screw mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: screws
- someone who guards prisoners
- a simple machine of the inclined-plane type consisting of a spirally threaded cylindrical rod that engages with a similarly threaded hole
- a propeller with several angled blades that rotates to push against water or air
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of screw: screw propeller
- more generic words: propeller / propellor = a mechanical device that rotates to push against air or water
- part of: outboard / outboard motor = internal-combustion engine that mounts at stern of small boat; ship = a vessel that carries passengers or freight
- a fastener with a tapered threaded shank and a slotted head
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: fastener / fastening / fixing / holdfast = restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
- more specific terms:
- Allen screw = a screw with a hexagonal hole in the head
- bolt = a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
- cap screw = a threaded screw for machine parts
- machine screw = a screw used either with a nut or with a tapped hole
- metal screw = screw made of metal
- setscrew = a screw (often without a head) that fits into the boss or hub of a wheel or cam etc. and prevents motion of the part relative to the shaft on which it is mounted
- setscrew = a screw that is used to adjust the tension on a spring
- thumbscrew = screw designed to be turned with the thumb and fingers
- woodscrew = a metal screw that tapers to a point so that it can be driven into wood with a screwdriver
- worm = screw thread on a gear with the teeth of a worm wheel or rack
- slang for sexual intercourse
- usage: dirty word / filth / obscenity / smut / vulgarism; argot / cant / jargon / lingo / patois / slang / vernacular
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of screw: ass / fuck / fucking / nookie / nooky / piece of ass / piece of tail / roll in the hay / screwing / shag / shtup
- more generic terms: carnal knowledge / coition / coitus / copulation / intercourse / relation / sex act / sexual congress / sexual intercourse / sexual relation = sexual activity between individuals, especially the insertion of a man's penis into a woman's vagina until orgasm and ejaculation occur
Alternative definition of the noun screw
- A simple machine, a helical inclined plane.
- A (usually) metal fastener consisting of a shank partially or completely threaded shank, sometimes with a threaded point, and a head used to both hold the top material and to drive the screw either directly into a soft material or into a prepared hole.
- [nautical] A ship's propeller.
- An Archimedes screw.
- [slang] A prison officer.
- [vulgar] Sexual intercourse; the act of screwing.
- [slang] Salary, wages.
- [billiards] Backspin.
Definition of the verb screw
What does screw mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: screwed | screwing | screws
- have sexual intercourse with
- examples: Sam and Sue screw | Sam cannot screw Sue
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of screw: bang / be intimate / bed / bonk / do it / eff / fuck / get it on / get laid / have a go at it / have intercourse / have it away / have it off / have sex / hump / jazz / know / lie with / love / make love / make out / roll in the hay / sleep together / sleep with
- more generic words: copulate / couple / mate / pair = engage in sexual intercourse
- more specific words:
- turn like a screw
- cause to penetrate, as with a circular motion
- tighten or fasten by means of screwing motions
- example: Screw the bottle cap on
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] Linda taped the picture [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Linda taped the box shut [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Linda taped the label and the cover together [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Patient 1] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Linda taped the picture to the wall [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] Eggs whisk easily | Most labels tape easily [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] [Adverb] together Labels and covers tape easily together [Patient - solid, plural] [Verb] together [Adverb] Labels and covers tape together easily [Patient 1 - solid] [Verb] [Adverb] to / on / onto [Patient 2] Labels tape easily to that kind of cover
Verbs of Combining and Attaching (with the same syntax): anchor, band, belt, bolt, bracket, buckle, button, cement, chain, cinch, epoxy, fetter, glue, handcuff, harness, hinge, hitch, hook, knot, lace, lash, lasso, latch, leash, link, lock, loop, manacle, moor, muzzle, nail, padlock, peg, pin, plaster, rivet, rope, seal, shackle, skewer, solder, staple, stitch, strap, string, tack, tape, tether, thread, thumbtack, tie, trammel, truss, wire, yoke, zip.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- antonym: unscrew
- more generic words: fasten / tighten = make tight or tighter
- defeat someone through trickery or deceit
Alternative definition of the verb screw
- [transitive] To connect or assemble pieces using a screw.
- antonym: unscrew
- [transitive, vulgar, slang] To have sexual intercourse with.
- synonyms: fuck [taboo slang]
- [transitive, slang] To cheat or treat unfairly. Sometimes seen in the form 'screw (someone) over'.
- synonym: [Australia] root (2)
- [intransitive, slang] To be angry.
- synonym: [British] shag (2)
- [transitive, slang] To forget or not care about
- [transitive] To apply pressure on; to put the screws on.
- [transitive] To contort
- [soccer, transitive] To miskick (a ball) by hitting it with the wrong part of the foot.
Specialised definition of the verb screw
Glossary of sports / billiards
if a player screws the cue ball back, he imparts backspin on it such that it recoils after striking the object ball (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Screw is a Japanese visual kei rock band formed in March 2006 by vocalist Byou and Yuuto, who were previously in the band Joker before its disbandment.
- also known as Screw band
- genres: Alternative metal, Metalcore, Rock music, Hard rock
- albums: "錯乱SCREAM", "HEARTLESS SCREEN", "FINALE OF SCREW", "七色ノ冷艶歌", "ネジれた紫想", "RACIAL MIXTURE", "Fusion of the core", "VENOM", "VIRUS", "RAGING BLOOD", "Gather Roses", "Wailing Wall", "DUALITY", "X-RAYS", "ANCIENT RAIN", "Cursed Hurricane", "糜爛-BIRAN-", "BRAINSTORM", "DEEP SIX", "SCREW", "TOUR09 X-RAYS OF SCREW and ANAPHYLAXIS", "XANADU", "Teardrop", "FUGLY", "PSYCHO MONSTERS"
- official website: www.pscompany.co.jp/screw
- "Screw" was 14th single by the J-pop singer, Kotoko, was released on December 16, 2009. The title track was used as the theme song for Mamoru Oshii's film Assault Girls.
- music by Takase Kazuya
- "SCREW" is a musical album of Screw.
- released on
- "SCREW" is a musical single of KOTOKO.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "SCREW" is a musical album of The Checkers.
- released on (26 years ago)
SCREW is an Aviation waypoint.
- Screw: A screw is a mechanism that converts rotational motion to linear motion, and a torque to a linear force. It is one of the six classical simple machines. The most common form consists of a cylindrical shaft with helical grooves or ridges called threads around the outside. The screw passes through a hole in another object or medium, with threads on the inside of the hole that mesh with the screw's threads. When the shaft of the screw is rotated relative to the stationary threads, the screw moves along its axis relative to the medium surrounding it; for example rotating a wood screw forces it into wood. In screw mechanisms, either the screw shaft can rotate through a threaded hole in a stationary object, or a threaded collar such as a nut can rotate around a stationary screw shaft. Geometrically, a screw can be viewed as a narrow inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder.
- also known as Pesawat sederhana sekrup
- SCREW was a weekly pornographic tabloid newspaper published in the United States aimed at heterosexual men; according to a statement on the cover, it offered "Jerk-Off Entertainment for Men". It was first published in November 1968 by Al Goldstein and Jim Buckley, and was printed weekly in tabloid form. At its peak, SCREW sold 140,000 copies a week. Founder Al Goldstein won a series of nationally significant obscenity cases.
- Screw, Moonshine, or Popcorn is a card game where the players try to be the first to lose all their cards. Like Palase, it is derived from the Finnish card game Paskahousu.
Phrases with SCREW
Phrases starting with the word SCREW:
- Screw It
- screw up
- screw cap
- screw eye
- screw key
- screw log
- Screw Off
- Screw You
- Screw Back
- screw bean
- screw jack
- Screw Over
- screw pile
- screw pine
- Screw Shoe
Phrases ending with the word SCREW:
View more phrases with the word SCREW in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for SCREW
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jack Phillips
The idea screw is a definition written by Ball.
Force, Motion, and Energy by John B. Beaver, Ph.D., Barbara R. Sandall, Ed.D.
A screw is an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder or cen— tral point. In otherwords...
by Edward P. Ortleb, Richard Cadice
The screw is an inclined plane spirally wound around a central cylinder. BACKGROUND INFORMATION: The inclined...
The Book of Science (1834)
A Familiar Introduction to the Principles of Natural Philosophy, Adapted to the Comprehension of Young People, Comprising Mechanics, Hydrostatics, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Acoustics, Pyronomics, Optics, Electricity, Galvanism, Magnetism by John M. Moffat
The screw is a modification of the inclined plane, usually operating through the assistance of a lever. All these instruments have been commonly regarded as so many simple machines ; it may therefore be as well to describe them separately, ...
by Sarah Tieck
The Archimedes Screw is a famous invention. It used a. 19.
The customs officers think the screw is a trigger mechanism of some sort, and want us to open the crate. As we comply we show, explain and reassure them of what it is and what has happened. Still having doubts, they decide to go through ...
Compounding Processes, Product Design, and Specifications - Volume 3 of 4 (Print) by Leonard I. Nass
and the Maillefer screw (sold through Syncro-Machine Company) with its feed and metering sections overlapping and alternating, an arrangement that promotes shearing and melting. Next, there are two-stage screws available from most ...
by Nikolas Davies, Erkki Jokiniemi
screw a pointed fastener with ...
Volume 52 - Solid-Liquid Separation: Clarifiers and Thickeners Selection to Specific Gravity and Specific Heats by John J. McKetta Jr
Screw feeders are designed to control the flow of a specified amount of material uniformly as it is fed from a bin or hopper. They are totally enclosed conveyors. Uniform withdrawal from the bin or hopper is the chief objective sought when ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for SCREW
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about SCREW
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: rockyjvec
A tiny screw.
Photo credit: Uwe Hermann
Photo credit: Emilio_13
Screw macro shot.
Photo credit: LawPrieR
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Coal Screw
This is the bottom surface of the inside of a coal car. The car is filled with coal and the screw moves the coal to a small door at the bottom of the front of the car. The fireman gathers coal from the door to feed the fire in the boiler of the steam engine.
Click for a better view of the details. :D
Photo credit: dbnunley
- Screw Bits
Photo credit: basheertome
- Laser Pan Socket Screw
Photo credit: CARLISLEHVAC
- Screw dislocation illustrated in brick
Photo of a brick wall, illustrating a linear crystal defect - screw dislocation.
Photo credit: CORE-Materials
- Tornillo - Screw
Photo credit: GViciano
- Screw U
Photo credit: Ella's Dad
- SCREW DCEVE CURVE CECS
Photo credit: Miserlou Behind The Aperture
- Screw MSK T7L SanFrancisco Graffiti Art
Photo credit: anarchosyn
- Screw packing
Photo credit: fdecomite
- SCREW'ed Screwed
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
View more pictures about screw auger.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about SCREW
Click on an item to play that video:
- Slang in English - SCREW
- Robertson screw Meaning
Video shows what Robertson screw means. A type of screw having a square recess in the head.. Robertson screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Archimedean screw Meaning
Video shows what Archimedean screw means. An Archimedes' screw.. Archimedean screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Screw Meaning
Video shows what screw means. A device that has a helical function. A simple machine, a helical inclined plane. A (usually) metal fastener consisting of a shank ...
- Wood screw Meaning
Video shows what wood screw means. A screw designed for a wood or a similar material, with a point, a relatively coarse thread, a thick shank, and, usually, ...
- Set screw Meaning
Video shows what set screw means. A screw with threads the entire length and no head. Typically, setscrews have a hex or slot drive recessed in the threaded ...
- Allen screw Meaning
Video shows what Allen screw means. A screw whose head has a hexagonal socket.. Allen screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Allen screw. Powered by MaryTTS,...
- Self-tapping screw Meaning
Video shows what self-tapping screw means. A screw, with a hardened thread, that forms its own internal thread when driven into a relatively soft material (such ...
- Capstan screw Meaning
Video shows what capstan screw means. A type of screw commonly used to regulate the height of the action in a piano. The capstan screw is designed to be ...
- Hex head screw Meaning
Video shows what hex head screw means. A screw with a hexagonal head.. Hex head screw Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Screw off Meaning
Video shows what screw off means. To remove the lid of a jar or other container by unscrewing it.. To fail to do one's work, to goof off.. To go away at someone's ...
- Screw you Meaning
Video shows what screw you means. "...
- Easyboot Screw Set Explanation
Explains the different screws that come in EasyCare's Easyboot Screw Set.
- Screw drive Meaning
Video shows what screw drive means. A slot in the head of a screw, of various shapes, enabling a screwdriver to lock into the screw.. Screw drive Meaning.
- Screw back Meaning
Video shows what screw back means. To cue the cue ball in such a way as to impart backspin. On impact, the ball will follow a reverse trajectory according to the ...
- Screw over Meaning
Video shows what screw over means. To cheat someone, or ruin their chances in a game or other situation.. Screw over Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Screw shoe Meaning
Video shows what screw shoe means. A regular shoe with screws (1/4 to 3/8 inch) screwed into the bottom of a shoes to give it grip while running on ice and ...
- Screw the pooch Meaning
Video shows what screw the pooch means. To screw up, to fail in dramatic and ignominious fashion.. Screw the pooch Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Have a screw loose Meaning
Video shows what have a screw loose means. To be insane or irrational.. Have a screw loose Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Screw hooks or screw rings
- 1.1.2 Description of Screw gauge
Xth class Physics Chapter 1.1.
- Discovery Channel Program in Bangla Language -- How TO Made a Screw for fighter plane use
This is a tv show in discovery channel in bangla language. This contain is only for those people who interested to know about world.
- Description Oat meal valve bag filling with screw feeder P1030281
Description Oat meal valve bag filling with screw feeder.
View more videos about Screw Up.
See also the pronunciation examples of SCREW!
Quotes about SCREW
The only really good place to buy lumber is at a store where the lumber has already been cut and attached together in the form of furniture, finished, and put inside boxes. (Dave Barry)
more quotes about screw...
Scrabble value of S1C3R1E1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SCREW
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of SCREW!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of SCREW to see it in context!