On this page:
Definition of the noun seafowl
What does seafowl mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: seafowl
- a bird that frequents coastal waters and the open ocean: gulls; pelicans; gannets; cormorants; albatrosses; petrels; etc.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonyms of seafowl: sea bird / seabird
- more generic term: aquatic bird = wading and swimming and diving birds of either fresh or salt water
- more specific terms:
- coastal diving bird = gull family; skimmer family; jaeger family
- auk = black-and-white short-necked web-footed diving bird of northern seas
- puffin = any of two genera of northern seabirds having short necks and brightly colored compressed bills
- gaviiform seabird = seabirds of the order Gaviiformes
- podicipitiform seabird = aquatic birds related to the loons
- pelecaniform seabird = large fish-eating seabird with four-toed webbed feet
- sphenisciform seabird = flightless cold-water seabirds: penguins
- oceanic bird / pelagic bird = bird of the open seas
Alternative definition of the noun seafowl
- Any bird that spends most of its time in coastal waters or over the oceans.
- synonym: seabird
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for seafowl
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Seafowl. n.s. [sea ia&fowl.] Birds thai live at sea. — The bills of curlews, and many other seafanul, are very long, to enable them to hunt tor the worms. Derham. — A seafowl properly reprt* Cents the passage of a deity over the seas. Broom.
Walker's Critical pronouncing dictionary ... Corrected, and enlarged with upwards of three thousand words, by the Rev. John Davis (1830)
by John WALKER (the Philologist.), John Davis ((Rev., A.M.))
A seafowl, like the moorhen. SEAcow, sè-köū; s. The manatee, a very bulky animal, of the cetaceous kind. SEADog, sè-dòg, s. Perhaps the shark. SEADRAGON, sé-drág-tin, s. A sea fish, called also the viver. SEAFARER, sè-fā- rür, s. a mariner ...
Corrected and Enlarged with Upwards of Three Thousand Words by Rev. John Davis (A.M., of Belfast, Eng.)
A seafowl, like the moorhen. SEAcow, sé-kööss. The manatee, a very bulky animal, of the cetaceous kind. SEADog, sé-dòg; s. Perhaps the shark. SEADRAGoN, sè-drăgoën, s. A sea fish, called also the viver. SEAFARER, sé-så- rür, s.
by Houghton Mifflin Company, Webster
seafowl. 994 water. 2. The dross of molten metals. 3. Refuse or worthless matter 4. A vile or worthless person or group of persons. — v. scummed, scum-ming, acuma. — vt, To remove the scum from. — vi. To form or become covered with scum ...
by Hyde Clarke
large gravel; -BEAR, nursine seal; - BEARD, n a conferva; -BEAST, n animal of the sea;-BEAT,-BEATEN, a dashed or worn by the waves; -Bird, n seafowl; - BLUBBER, m a seainsect; -BoARD, n seacoast; neighbourhood of the sea; - BoARD, ...
The New Spelling Dictionary ... Revised, Corrected, and Enlarged Throughout. To which is Now Added, a Catalogue of Words of Similar Sounds, But of Different Spellings and Significations. By the Rev. W. Crakelt (1784)
by John ENTICK, William CRAKELT
a seafowl . Mud'wall, f, a wall built with mud Muð'walled, part. havinga mudwall Muff, f a warm cover of skin for ...
E.'s New Spelling and English Dictionary ... To which is prefixed a ... Grammar ... By W. Crakelt (1795)
by John ENTICK, William CRAKELT
one easily cheated, a cheat, fraud, seafowl Gull'catcher, Gull'er, f. a cheat, impostor, knave Gull'et, f. the throat, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for seafowl
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about seafowl
If you need images about seafowl for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about seafowl
Video shows what seafowl means. Any bird that spends most of its time in coastal waters or over the oceans.. seafowl synonyms: seabird. Seafowl Meaning.
Scrabble value of S1E1A1F4O1W4L1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SEAFOWL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of seafowl!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of seafowl to find many related words and phrases!