Seem appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- To LSU, O engineer, game escrow orcs seem a green igneous lot.
- Yawn, redo maniac ire to seem a god, net Nintendo game esoterica in a modern way.
- Toll a city, Lana (name esoteric in a title domain): I, Val, Ron or Lavinia model titanic ire to seem an analytical lot.
On this page:
- Definition of the verb seem
- Phrases with Seem
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Seem
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Seem
- Usage statistics about seem
- Photos about Seem
- Video language resources about Seem
- Sign language
- Quotes about Seem
- Scrabble value of S1E1E1M3
- Anagrams of SEEM
- Share this page
The word seem is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb seem
What does seem mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: seemed | seeming | seems
- give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
- examples: She seems to be sleeping | They seem to move
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme] [Verb] [Adjective] He appeared crazy [Theme] [Verb] [Adverb] He seemed well [Theme] [Verb] [Predicate, raising to subject with infinitive] He seemed to come [Theme] [Verb] [Predicate, not sentential clause] He seemed a fool [Theme] [Verb] in [Predicate, not sentential clause] The matter seems in dispute
Seem Verbs (with the same syntax): appear.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonyms of seem: appear / look
- more generic word: be = have the quality of being
- more specific terms:
- make = appear to begin an activity
- cut = give the appearance or impression of
- feel = produce a certain impression
- pass off = be accepted as something or somebody in a false character or identity
- sound = appear in a certain way
- come across = be perceived in a certain way
- radiate / shine / beam / glow = have a complexion with a strong bright color, such as red or pink
- glisten / glitter / gleam / glint / shine = be shiny, as if wet
- stand out / stick out / jump out / leap out / jump = be highly noticeable
- lift / rear / rise = rise up
- loom = come into view indistinctly, often threateningly
- feel = be felt or perceived in a certain way
- seem to be true, probable, or apparent and suggest that a certain state of affair holds
- appear to exist
- appear to one's own mind or opinion
Seem is a canonical version, musical recording.
Phrases with Seem
Phrases starting with the word Seem:
Phrases ending with the word Seem:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Seem
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by V. H. Hagopian
SYN,-To appear; look:-To appear has reference to a thing's being, presented to our view; as, the sun appears; to seem is connected with the idea of semblance, and usually implies an inference of our mind as to the probability of a thing's being ...
Logic and Lexicon (2013)
The Semantics of the Indefinite by Manfred Pinkal
Finally, indefiniteness is not a borderline phenomenon but rather the typical case for many sentences; certain sentences seem to have the very purpose of making statements about which people can disagree (although the relevant data are ...
Illustrated Keys to Known Families, Genera, and Species in South America by Charles W. Heckman
Zoogeographical barriers on the South American continent therefore seem to be less of a factor in the distribution of the dragonflies than are the ecological tolerances of the individual species. This applies in almost ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Seem
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about seem
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb seem:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb seem:
Photos about Seem
Click on an item to view that photo:
minolta MD 50mm F1.2
Fujifilm Gyomuyo 100
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Seem
Click on an item to play that video:
- Seem Meaning
Video shows what seem means. To appear; to look outwardly; to be perceived as.. To befit; to beseem.. seem pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Can't seem Meaning
Video shows what can't seem means. Seem to be unable.. Can't seem Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say can't seem. Powered ...
- Possible Explanation of why Wardens seem to crash people in siege.
- Why do the vocabulary words seem so hard
- Explanation of why the moderate Muslims /seem/ peaceful
- English Speaking - 53 - You seem + (adjective)
- Why does it seem so hard.. (description)
- Lesson 5a SEEM English GrammarVerb, Grammar, Jennifer, Special verb
Additional instruction and scripts shall be given to you...
- Lesson 5b SEEM English GrammarVerb, Grammar, Jennifer, Special Verb
- Lesson 5a SEEM English GrammarVerb, Grammar, Jennifer, Special Verb
See also the pronunciation examples of Seem!
When Things Seem to be going all wrong / American Sign Language
Devotion for the Deaf - August 6.
Quotes about Seem
Scrabble value of S1E1E1M3
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SEEM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Seem!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Seem to see it in context!