The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun send-up:
On this page:
Definition of the noun send-up
What does send-up mean as a name of something?
- a composition that imitates or misrepresents somebody's style, usually in a humorous way
- example: They are going to send up a rocket.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- alternative spelling: sendup
- synonyms of send-up: burlesque / lampoon / mockery / parody / pasquinade / put-on / spoof / takeoff / travesty
- more generic words: caricature / imitation / impersonation = a representation of a person that is exaggerated for comic effect
Alternative definition of the noun send-up
- A satirical imitation of a work of art or a genre.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Send-Up
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Yip Harburg, Lyricist by Harold Meyerson, Ernest Harburg
The send-up is a gentle one, of course. The operetta, like a number of songs in Yip's later shows, is a day-of-deliverance celebration: politics, as far as Yip was concerned, at its apogee, not its nadir. Both the celebration and the comedy ...
From the Silent Era to 1965 by Barry Monush
In 1987, serving with Avalon as co-executive producer, the duo did a colorful send-up of their old beach pictures, Back to the Beach, with Annette good- naturedly kidding herself as an airhead mom, but it wasn't very popular. Shortly afterwards ...
by Don D'Ammassa
The series is a wonderful send-up of many genre clichés.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Send-Up
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Send-Up
Video shows what send-up means. A satirical imitation of a work of art or a genre.. Send-up Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Send-Up!