The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sensibility:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sensibility
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sensibility
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sensibility
- Photos about Sensibility
- Video language resources about Sensibility
- Quotes about Sensibility
- Scrabble value of S1E1N1S1I1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sensibility
What does sensibility mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sensibilities
- mental responsiveness and awareness
- refined sensitivity to pleasurable or painful impressions
- example: cruelty offended his sensibility
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- more generic words: sensitiveness / sensitivity = sensitivity to emotional feelings
- more specific words:
- (physiology) responsiveness to external stimuli; the faculty of sensation
- domain: physiology
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of sensibility: sensitiveness / sensitivity
- more generic terms: sensation / sense / sensory faculty / sentience / sentiency = the faculty through which the external world is apprehended
- more specific words:
- acuteness = a sensitivity that is keen and highly developed
- hypersensitivity = extreme sensitivity
- responsiveness / reactivity = responsive to stimulation
- exteroception = sensitivity to stimuli originating outside of the body
- interoception = sensitivity to stimuli originating inside of the body
- photosensitivity / radiosensitivity = sensitivity to the action of radiant energy
Alternative definition of the noun sensibility
- The ability to sense, feel or perceive; especially to be sensitive to the feelings of another
- [chiefly in plural] An acute awareness or feeling
"Sensibility": 《Sensibility》는 백지영의 7번째 정규 음반이다. 이 음반에 수록된 곡 중 〈이리 와〉와 〈밤새도록〉은 19세 이상 이용가로 지정되어 미성년자들은 이 노래를 들을 수 없다.
- artist: Baek Ji-young
- released on (6 years ago)
Sensibility refers to an acute perception of or responsiveness toward something, such as the emotions of another. This concept emerged in eighteenth-century Britain, and was closely associated with studies of sense perception as the means through which knowledge is gathered. It also became associated with sentimental moral philosophy.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sensibility
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Science Abstracts (1920)
Physics. Section A.
Radio- sensibility is a function of the cell which is being radiated by the same quality and quantity ...
Education in Morality (2005)
by J. Mark Halstead, Terence H. McLaughlin
To call this an education of character seems appropriate, for although the sensibility is a faculty of reason answerable to plain...
The Aesthetic Impulse (2014)
by Malcolm Ross
Sensibility is a vital faculty affecting the quality and effectiveness of everyone's life – it is not merely the distinguishing characteristic of the cultured classes or of artists. The faculty of feeling is responsible for the basic ability to distinguish formal ...
Practice and Realization (2012)
Studies in Kant’s Moral Philosophy by Nathan Rotenstreich
to decide whether an action whichis possibleinthe worldof sensibility is a caseunder therule. Itis practical judgment which applies what the rule asserts universally or inabstracto ...
by Chris Baldick
sensibility An important 18th-century term designating a kind of sensitivity or responsiveness that is both aesthetic and moral, showing a capacity to feel both for others' ...
by Neil King, Sarah King
See sensibility, age of. sensibility, age of: a term that has been used to define a period of literature from ...
by Peter Childs, Roger Fowler
Sensibility 215 values and morals. But poets and critics in England never accepted the total primacy of reason, and they were very willing to take over a moral and aesthetic doctrine which was in reaction against a too great demand on reason.
by David Scott Kastan
Yet this appellation may be anachronistic, a retrospective application of the binary opposition between masculinity and femininity that emerged after the turn against sensibility. To see Harley, for example, as feminine requires that we impose ...
A Record of the Positive Effects of Drugs Upon the Healthy Human Organism by Timothy Field Allen
Above the elbow the tactile sensibility is much less affected. On the left fingers and forearm, the pressure of the upper point only of the aesthesiometer is perceived. Anterior surface of left arm, 100 mm. Tactile sensibility of lower ...
by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel
Sensibility,. Irritability,. and. Reproduction. § 218 (1) The first is theprocess of the living being inside itself. In that processit makesa spliton itsown self,and reduces its corporeitytoits object or its inorganic nature. This corporeity, asan aggregate ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sensibility
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sensibility
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Sense And Sensibility.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sensibility
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sensibility Meaning
Video shows what sensibility means. The ability to sense, feel or perceive; especially to be sensitive to the feelings of another. An acute awareness or feeling.
- Sense and Sensibility Vocabulary Words
- Sense And Sensibility Vocabulary
- ACT Science Vocabulary Question A Sense for Sensibility
Solution to Testive ACT Question #ID6175.
See also the pronunciation examples of Sensibility!
Quotes about Sensibility
Scrabble value of S1E1N1S1I1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 11-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sensibility to see it in context!