On this page:
- Definition of the adjective sensible
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sensible
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sensible
- Photos about Sensible
- Video language resources about Sensible
- Quotes about Sensible
- Scrabble value of S1E1N1S1I1B3L1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective sensible
What does sensible mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more sensible / sensibler | most sensible / sensiblest
- showing reason or sound judgment
- examples: a sensible choice | a sensible person
- synonym of sensible: reasonable
- similar: commonsense / commonsensible / commonsensical; healthy / intelligent / level-headed / levelheaded / sound; strong; tenable / well-founded
- attribute: reasonableness = goodness of reason and judgment
- see also: fair / just; logical; rational; valid
- able to feel or perceive
- readily perceived by the senses
- examples: the sensible universe | a sensible odor
- similar: perceptible
- aware intuitively or intellectually of something sensed
Alternative definition of the adjective sensible
- [context: now dated or formal] Perceptible by the senses.
- Easily perceived; appreciable.
- Able to feel or perceive.
- Of or pertaining to the senses; sensory.
- Cognizant; having the perception of something; aware of something.
- Acting with or showing good sense; able to make good judgements based on reason.
- Characterized more by usefulness or practicality than by fashionableness, especially of clothing.
- "Sensible" is a musical album of Sylvie Vartan.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Sensible" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Sensible" is a musical album of Skeptics.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Sensible" is a musical album of Enyd.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Sensible" is a musical EP of Skeptics.
- released in (24 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sensible
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Retirement Plan Solution (2009)
The Reinvention of Defined Contribution by Don Ezra, Bob Collie, Matthew X. Smith
The answer is: They are both sensible. Being sensible isn't amatterof seeing whoendsup with the most money. It's a matter of making a choice you can live with.People are different. Being sensible means knowing what sortofperson you are, ...
by Petrina, Stephen
Being sensible means acting politically, or intervening in the issues of inequity, injustice and exclusion that are invariably exposed through questioning. Of course, this active intervening entails the production of political artifacts or alternative ...
The Century (1921)
by Making of America Project
Being sensible means not wanting anything much, and being prudent means not trying to get what you want, and being cautious means not taking what you want even when you can get it. If you like him, 'Melie, and don't mind getting married, ...
Pregnancy Weight Management (2000)
Before, During, and After by Theresa Francis-Cheung
Being sensible means listening to your body and paying attention to any signals it sends you — for example, pain or tiredness. Stop exercising immediately if you experience any of the following: • Bleeding or spotting or heavy discharge.
by William Nicholson
Pleasurable sensations are called sensible pleasures, painful sensations sensible pains. The pleasurable sensations leave behind them pleasurable ideas, which are called mental or intellectual pleasures ; and in the same manner the ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica, Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature (1823)
Anatomy the foot, the sensible frog is much confined in its moand diseases of the foot of the horse; to which, and to Anatomy osth tion. By this immobility of the cartilages, the horse Mr Freeman's work on the same subject, werefer such ofthe ...
The British Encyclopedia (1809)
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences. Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
Pleasurable sensations are called sensible plea- rares, painful sensations sensible pains. The pleasm-ablc sensations leave behind them pleasurable ideas, which are called mental or intellectual pleasures ; and in the same manner the ...
by S. George Philander
Sensible heat refers to heat that is sensed, such as by a thermometer or the human body. It manifests itself as a rise or fall in air temperature. If the flow of energy to or from a substance or surface causes a rise or fall in temperature, then it is ...
by S. George Philander
sensible heat. By contrast, if the movement of energy to or from a substance has a different result, such as evaporation, there will be no change in temperature. In this case, the energy is held dormant in the substance for release should the ...
by Victor E. Taylor, Charles E. Winquist
sensible transcendental 36 l rhythmic motility of energy and psychic drives that perpetually condenses and displaces into stases and phases. This rhythmic motility is heterogenous, synchronic, and necessary to the order of the symbolic.
by Henry Watson Fowler
Just as ingenuity is not ingenuousness, but ingeniousness, so sensibility is not sensibleness, but sensitiveness ; to the familiar contrasted pair sense <r> sensibility correspond the adjectives sensible <£ sensitive — an absurd arrangement, ...
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
The sensible organization needs to be understood in the context ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sensible
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sensible
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sensible
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Sensible!
Quotes about Sensible
Scrabble value of S1E1N1S1I1B3L1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine