The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb set forth:
On this page:
Definition of the verb set forth
What does set forth mean as a doing phrase?
- example: set forth one's reasons
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of set forth: exposit / expound
- more generic terms: dilate / elaborate / enlarge / expand / expatiate / exposit / expound / flesh out / lucubrate = add details, as to an account or idea
- more specific words:
- example: The children set forth to the playground
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of set forth: depart / part / set off / set out / start / start out / take off
- more generic terms: go away / go forth / leave = go away from a place
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb set forth
- [intransitive] To begin a journey or expedition.
- [transitive] To present for consideration; to propose.
- synonym: put forward
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Set Forth
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
to which is prefixed, a Grammar of the English Language by Samuel Johnson
To Set forth. To publish; to promulgate; to make appear. Shakespeare, 41. To Set forth. To raise; to send out. Abbot. KrnBi!. 42. To Set forth. To display ; toexplain. Drydtn, 43. To Sit forth. To arrange; to place in order.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Set Forth
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Set Forth
Click on an item to view that photo:
The first inhabitants set forth...
Photo credit: Cylindric
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Set Forth
Set forth Meaning
Video shows what set forth means. To state; describe; give an account of.. To present for consideration; to propose.. To begin a journey or expedition.. Set forth ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Set Forth!
Quotes about Set Forth
Our mission, as set forth by the Congress is a critical one: to preserve price stability, to foster maximum sustainable growth in output and employment, and to promote a stable and efficient financial system that serves all Americans well and fairly. (Ben Bernanke)