On this page:
- Definition of the verb settle down
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Settle Down
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Settle Down
- Usage statistics about settle down
- Photos about Settle Down
- Video language resources about Settle Down
- Quotes about Settle Down
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb settle down
What does settle down mean as a doing phrase?
- settle into a position, usually on a surface or ground
- become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Patient - being] [Verb] to [Destination] He converted to Buddhism [Patient - being] [Verb] to [Destination, subject control with -ing] He converted to believing in Buddha
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of settle down: root / settle / steady down / take root
- more generic words: stabilise / stabilize = become stable or more stable
- more specific word: roost = settle down or stay, as if on a roost
- become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation
- example: It took a while after the baby was born for things to settle down again.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- synonyms of settle down: calm / calm down / chill out / cool it / cool off / simmer down
- more generic terms: change state / turn = undergo a transformation or a change of position or action
Alternative definition of the verb settle down
- To become quiet and calm after a period of restlessness.
- To establish a settled lifestyle, and especially to marry.
- "Settle Down" is a song by American rock band No Doubt. It is the first single from their sixth studio album Push and Shove. Written by Gwen Stefani, Tony Kanal, Tom Dumont, and produced by Spike Stent, it was released on July 16, 2012 by Interscope Records. The song is a combination of many styles, such as reggae, ska, dancehall, Latin and Caribbean-tinged beats, merging with American pop and rock music. Lyrically, the song is about confidence and about feeling good, adjusting yourself to unfamiliar circumstances.
- "Settle Down" is a song by The 1975.
- "Settle Down" is a song by New Zealand singer/guitarist Kimbra from her debut studio album, Vows. The song was released in New Zealand on 10 June 2010 as the lead single from the album and was re-released on 1 November 2011. The single peaked at number 37 on the New Zealand Singles Chart.
- "Settle Down" is a musical album of Julia Nunes.
- released on
- "Settle Down" is the 2012 single by No Doubt.
- also known as Settle Down (Remixes)
- released on
- "Settle Down" is a musical EP of Kimbra.
- released on
- "Settle Down" is a musical single of Over The Wall.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Settle Down" is a musical single of Last Japan.
- released on
- "Settle Down" is a musical album of Flora Reed.
- released in (13 years ago)
Settle Down is a cataloged instance, musical recording.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Settle Down
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Elaine Costello
Same sign used for: calm, calm down, quiet down, relax, settle down. □ (Natural gesture for calming someone down) Beginning with both 5 hands in front of each side of the chest, palms facing down, move the hands slowly down to in front of ...
A Dictionary of the Language of Mota, Sugarloaf Island, Banks' Islands, with a Short Grammar and Index (1896)
by Robert Henry Codrington, John Palmer (archdeacon of Southern Melanesia)
to settle down, sink downwards ; same word as Motlav, hag to sit. sager, to settle down upon. Sage, 2. adv. of direction, upwards, inland ; of time, future. 3. v. to go inland towards the inner upper part of the country, particularly to go to ...
A Sea Dyak Dictionary, in Alphabetical Parts, with Examples and Quotations Shewing the Use and Meaning of Words (1900)
by William Howell, D. J. S. Bailey
settle down. Dllll't)" err/a; Hm :arrmtz. Sit down all of you. Alwka ngzntap kaa'iri babim' kamaialu. Iwant to settle down steadily and marry ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Settle Down
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about settle down
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb settle down:
Photos about Settle Down
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Settle Down
Click on an item to play that video:
- Settle Down: Definition and Examples (Phrasal Verbs)
- Settle down Meaning
Video shows what settle down means. To become quiet and calm after a period of restlessness.. To establish a settled lifestyle, and especially to marry.. Settle ...
- Settle Down - Phrasal Verbs 2 - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Settle Down!
Quotes about Settle Down
Having had that experience... I think, what modern culture wants to see is the relationship with the woman. I don't think you can tell a story on film nowadays where the woman simply is there for the man when he decides to settle down. (Tom Selleck)