On this page:
- Definition of the noun shad
- Phrases with Shad
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shad
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shad
- Photos about Shad
- Video language resources about Shad
- Quotes about Shad
- Scrabble value of S1H4A1D2
- Anagrams of SHAD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun shad
What does shad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: shad / shads
- bony flesh of herring-like fish usually caught during their migration to fresh water for spawning; especially of Atlantic coast
- herring-like food fishes that migrate from the sea to fresh water to spawn
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: food fish = any fish used for food by human beings; clupeid / clupeid fish = any of numerous soft-finned schooling food fishes of shallow waters of northern seas
- more specific terms:
- member of: Alosa / genus Alosa = shad
Alternative definition of the noun shad
- Any one of several species of food fishes that comprise the genus Alosa in the family Clupeidae, to which the herrings also belong; river herring.
- Shad: Shadrach Kabango, better known by his stage name Shad or Shad K., is a Canadian hip hop artist.
- also known as Shadrach Kabango, Shad.K, Shad K.
- born on (33 years ago) in Kenya
- nationality: Canada
- profession: Rapper, guitarist
- genres: Hip hop music, Alternative hip hop
- albums: "When This Is Over", "TSOL", "The Old Prince", "ITunes Session", "Two Songs", "The Spring Up", "Flying Colours"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year - "The Old Prince"
- nominated to Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year - "TSOL"
- Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year - "TSOL"
- nominated to Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year - "Flying Colours"
- official website: www.shadk.com
- Shad a.k.a. Shad Gaspard is an American professional wrestler of Haitian and Curaçaon descent.
- read more about Shad Gaspard
- Shad a.k.a. Aslam Pervaiz professionally known as Aslam Pervaiz or Zia was a Pakistani film actor. He had established himself one of the finest villains of Pakistani film industry.
- read more about Aslam Pervaiz (actor)
- Shad a.k.a. Rashad Cunningham is an American Football wide receiver for the Kentucky Wildcats.
- read more about Rashad Cunningham
- Shad a.k.a. Tim Pingel is an actor, cinematographer and film score composer.
- read more about Tim Pingel (film actor)
- Shad is a fictional character from the 1997 film Nowhere.
- Shad is a fictional vigilante from the Wild Cards series of books, and was created by Walter Jon Williams. Better known as Black Shadow he first appeared in the short story "Strings" in the first Wild Cards anthology, and has played a pivotal role in several of the later books of the series.
- occupation: Vigilante
- created by Walter Jon Williams
- Shad a.k.a. Shadrach Yale is a fictional character from the book Across Five Aprils.
- read more about Shadrach Yale
- Shad is a fictional character from the 1996 film Striptease.
Shad was a state office in the early Central Asian Turkic states, roughly equivalent to governor. "Shad" could only be an appointee over a vassal tribe, where he represented interests of the preeminent Kagan. The name of this tribe was included in his title. For example, Tardu-shad could only be a Shad over Tardu tribe. The title carried autonomy in different degrees, and its links with the central authority of kagan varied from economical and political subordination to superficial political deference.
- also known as 設
Phrases with Shad
Phrases starting with the word Shad:
Phrases ending with the word Shad:
- Mud Shad
- Azov Shad
- Gulf Shad
- Ohio Shad
- Toli Shad
- Alice Shad
- allis shad
- Bonga Shad
- Hilsa Shad
- Kelee Shad
- river shad
- White Shad
- allice shad
- Common Shad
- Danube Shad
- Golden Shad
- Pontic Shad
- Reeves Shad
View more phrases with the word Shad in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Sailing Directions for the East Coasts of England and Scotland from Flamborough Head to Cape Wrath. ... Fourth edition. [With addenda.] (1849)
The IslesTone SHAD is a small rocky shoal of only 9 feet water, lying midway between the Knox Reef and Glororum Shad, the Farn High Light bearing S.W. | W . nearly a mile, and the Longstone Light E.N.E. # E. 13 mile. GLoRoRUM SHAD is a ...
by Ken Schultz
The Alabama shad is a schooling species that spends most of its life in the ocean ; when mature, it returns from early spring...
Trophic Ecology (2016)
by James E. Garvey, Matt Whiles
Gizzard shad is a fish species in North America that grows rapidly early in life and evades most gape-limited predators, suggesting that this tactic has a selective benefit (Box 6.2). Many mammals and birds have young that rapidly reach adult ...
by Virginia. Commission of Fisheries
The shad is a member of the herring family, an immense tribe that includes the sardines, the alewives, and many other well-known fishes, and, like them, the shad is a salt water fish. Little or nothing is known of its oceanic life. The parts of the ...
A Month by Month Guide to Natural Events. Florida with Georgia and Alabama coasts by M. Timothy O'Keefe
The American shad is the southern version of the Pacific salmon. Like the salmon , a shad begins life in fresh water but spends most of its adulthood in the ocean. And when it is time for the fish to spawn, it returns to fresh water, presumably to ...
Wallowa-Whitman National Forest (N.F.)[OR,ID], Hells Canyon National Recreation Area (N.R.A.), Snake River Recreation Wild and Scenic River(s) (WSR) Management Plan (1994)
Environmental Impact Statement
The American shad is an introduced, non-native anadromous fish which has spread rapidly along the Pacific coast. This species is currently establishing a sharply increasing breeding population above Lower Granite Dam within the Snake ...
The shad is a member of the herring family, an immense tribe that includes the sardines, the alewives, and many other well-known fishes, and, like them, the shed is a salt water fish. Little or nothing is known of its oceanic life. The parts of the ...
Fish & Shellfish (2014)
by Rick Stein
Shad The SHAD is a similar fish to the herring but much larger and more bony. The wild fish in Europe tend to weigh about 1.25kg, but commonly reach 2.5kg in America. Each fillet has three lines of bones running down it and needsto be dealt ...
Topics from the 9th Annual UNCG Regional Mathematics and Statistics Conference by Jan Rychtar, Maya Chhetri, Sat N. Gupta, Ratnasingham Shivaji
Moreover, Gizzard Shad is a prey of the predatory Largemouth Bass and thus our model can capture the prey–predatorinteraction common in native fish. The proportion of each species in the population will be denoted by pSC, pGS, and pLB, ...
The History of Cheltenham (1803)
by Thomas Frognall Dibdin
* The Shad is a sea fish, of the herring kind, by some naturalists called Clupea. It is a fine fish, without the aid of any other ...
Environmental Impact Statement
AMERCIAN SHAD (Alosa eapidissima) The American shad is an anadromous fish of the herring family Clupeidae.
by Sportsman's Connection
Algae and duckweed was common throughout reservoir Fish foods observed: Gizzard shad is the dominant forage species. Some brook silverside and common shiners; aquatic insects are also available Survey start - end date(s): May 2008 ...
Delaware River Scenic Byway (2014)
by Marion M. Kyde, Ph.D., Edith S. Sharp, Stephanie Fox, and Keith Strunk
Shad is the big catch every spring. One of New Jersey's largest street festivals, Lambertville hosts Shad Fest every April. (National Park Service.) This is the current Lambertville Station Restaurant and Inn on the D&R Canal. Located in the ...
by Andrew Smith
The waterways were filled with catfish, eel, salmon, shad, trout, and sturgeon. Wild fruit included blueberries, cranberries, grapes, and beach plums. In the villages gardens were prosperous with corn, beans, and squash. Food was bountiful ...
by Vin T. Sparano
DESCRIPTION: The hickory shad— like its larger relative, the American shad — is a herring. In color it is gray-green...
as is the American shad. RANGE: The hickory shad is found along the Atlantic Coast from the Bay of Fundy south to Florida.
Abridged from the American Dictionary, for Use of Primary Schools and the Counting House by Noah Webster
Shad, n. a #. well known. Shad'-dock, m. a variety ...
The Visual Food Encyclopedia (1996)
the shad is one of the most commercially important fish in North America and is also fished in western Europe and the Mediterranean. It spends most of its life in the ocean but swims back upriver in the spring to spawn. P rized for its eggs as ...
by John F. Mariani
SHAD. Any ofa variety of fishesofthe herring family in the genus Alosa. Thename isfrom the Old English sceadd. The “American shad” (A. sapidissima) is the most important shad from a culinary standpoint, although early in this country's history ...
by John Shakespear
jli shad, adj.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Shad
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: kall_e
Photo credit: tplmakesomenoise
Photo credit: brenda_h_lee
Photo credit: kall_e
Photo credit: kall_e
Shad performing on the Main Stage.
Photo credit: Flare
- Shad Thames
Balconies in a redevelopment in Shad Thames, London.
Photo credit: masochismtango
- Shad Thames, London
Photo credit: nicksarebi
- Shad owbat
Photo credit: coia.nac
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Shad
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Shad!
Quotes about Shad
We were not given any statistics as to how many records were pressed on the blue label. I used to ask Bob Shad how we were going to get paid from record sales and what I got for an answer was not to worry about the business end of the deal. (Phil Harris)
more quotes about shad...
Scrabble value of S1H4A1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine