Shape appears in the following tongue twister:
- Tie a knot, tie a knot.
Tie a tight, tight knot.
Tie a knot in the shape of a nought.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun shape:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb shape:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun shape
- Definition of the verb shape
- Phrases with Shape
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shape
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shape
- Photos about Shape
- Video language resources about Shape
- Sign language
- Quotes about Shape
- Scrabble value of S1H4A1P3E1
- Anagrams of SHAPE
- Share this page
Shape is sometimes a misspelling of shaggy.
The word shape is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun shape
What does shape mean as a name of something?
Shape is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: shapes
- any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline)
- example: he could barely make out their shapes
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of shape: configuration / conformation / contour / form
- more generic terms: spatial property / spatiality = any property relating to or occupying space
- more specific words:
- sharpness / keenness = thinness of edge or fineness of point
- bluntness / dullness = without sharpness or clearness of edge or point
- topography = the configuration of a surface and the relations among its man-made and natural features
- lobularity = the property of having lobules
- concaveness / concavity = the property possessed by a concave shape
- convexness / convexity = the property possessed by a convex shape
- angularity = the property possessed by a shape that has angles
- narrowing = an instance of becoming narrow
- curvature / curve = the property possessed by the curving of a line or surface
- roundness = the property possessed by a line or surface that is curved and not angular
- straightness = freedom from crooks or curves or bends or angles
- crookedness = having or distinguished by crooks or curves or bends or angles
- stratification = a layered configuration
- the spatial arrangement of something as distinct from its substance
- example: geometry is the mathematical science of shape
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonym of shape: form
- more generic word: attribute = an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of an entity
- more specific terms:
- solid = a three-dimensional shape
- plane / sheet = an unbounded two-dimensional shape
- natural shape = a shape created by natural forces
- flair / flare = a shape that spreads outward
- figure = a combination of points and lines and planes that form a visible palpable shape
- line = a length (straight or curved) without breadth or thickness
- angular shape / angularity = a shape having one or more sharp angles
- round shape = a shape that is curved and without sharp angles
- distorted shape / distortion = a shape resulting from distortion
- amorphous shape = an ill-defined or arbitrary shape
- connection / connexion / link = a connecting shape
- circle = something approximating the shape of a circle
- square = something approximating the shape of a square
- triangle = something approximating the shape of a triangle
- column / pillar / tower = anything that approximates the shape of a column or tower
- plume = anything that resembles a feather in shape or lightness
- alternative names for the body of a human being
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of shape: anatomy / bod / build / chassis / figure / flesh / form / frame / human body / material body / physical body / physique / soma
- more generic terms: body / organic structure = the entire physical structure of an organism
- more specific terms:
- part of: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being; homo / human / human being / man = any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- a concrete representation of an otherwise nebulous concept
- the visual appearance of something or someone
- the state of (good) health (especially in the phrases `in condition' or `in shape' or `out of condition' or `out of shape')
- the supreme headquarters that advises NATO on military matters and oversees all aspects of the Allied Command Europe
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of SHAPE: Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe
- more generic terms: high command / supreme headquarters = the highest leaders in an organization
- part of: NATO / North Atlantic Treaty Organization = an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security
- a perceptual structure
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of shape: form / pattern
- more generic word: structure = the complex composition of knowledge as elements and their combinations
- more specific words:
- fractal = a geometric pattern that is repeated at every scale and so cannot be represented by classical geometry
- gestalt = a configuration or pattern of elements so unified as a whole that it cannot be described merely as a sum of its parts
- grid = a pattern of regularly spaced horizontal and vertical lines
- kaleidoscope = a complex pattern of constantly changing colors and shapes
- mosaic = a pattern resembling a mosaic
- strand = a pattern forming a unity within a larger structural whole
- part of: percept / perception / perceptual experience = the representation of what is perceived
Alternative definition of the noun shape
- The status or condition of something
- Condition of personal health, especially muscular health.
- The appearance of something, especially its outline.
- A figure with unspecified appearance; especially a geometric figure.
- Form; formation.
Specialised definition of the noun shape
Glossary of sports
the condition of someone's health or fitness (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb shape
What does shape mean as a doing word?
Shape is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: shaped | shaping | shapes
- shape or influence; give direction to
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Theme 1 - abstract] [Verb] [Theme 2] Racial inequality engenders conflict Engender Verbs: beget, bring about, cause, create, engender, generate, incite, instigate, kindle, produce, provoke, set off, sire, spark, spawn [Theme 1 - abstract] [Verb] [Theme 2] [Predicate, that-complement clause] The bug causes the chip to give wrong answers for some mathematical calculations [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] I presented a solution Verbs of Reflexive Appearance: announce, assert, declare, define, exhibit, expose, express, flaunt, form, intrude, manifest, offer, pose, present, proffer, propose, recommend, reveal, show, suggest [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] to [Recipient] I presented a solution to him [Theme] [Verb] [Oblique, reflexive] A solution presented itself yesterday
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of shape: determine / influence / mold / regulate
- more generic words: cause / do / make = give rise to
- more specific terms:
- dispose / incline = make receptive or willing towards an action or attitude or belief
- disincline / indispose = make unwilling
- miscreate = shape or form or make badly
- carry weight = have influence to a specified degree
- decide = influence or determine
- reshape = shape anew or differently
- time = set the speed, duration, or execution of
- index = adjust through indexation
- pace = regulate or set the pace of
- predetermine = determine beforehand
- make something, usually for a specific function
- example: shape a figure
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] Martha carves [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] for [Asset] The contractor will build you a house for $100,000 [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] from / out of [Material] Martha carved the baby a toy out of a piece of wood [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Material] for [Beneficiary] Martha carved a piece of wood for the baby [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Material] into [Product] Martha carved the piece of wood into a toy [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Material] into [Product] for [Beneficiary] Martha carved a piece of wood into a toy for the baby [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] Martha carves toys [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] for [Asset] The contractor builds houses for $100,000 [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] for [Beneficiary] Martha carved a toy for the baby [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] Martha carved a toy out of a piece of wood [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] for [Asset] Martha will carve a toy out of a piece of wood for $50 [Agent - being or machine] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] for [Beneficiary] Martha carved a toy out of a piece of wood for the baby [Asset - currency] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] $100,000 will build you a house [Asset - currency] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Product] from / out of [Material] $100,000 builds you a house out of sticks [Asset - currency] [Verb] [Product] $100,000 builds a house [Asset - currency] [Verb] [Product] from / out of [Material] $100,000 builds a house out of sticks [Material - concrete object] [Verb] [Product] This wood carved beautiful toys
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of shape: forge / form / mold / mould / work
- more generic terms: create from raw material / create from raw stuff = make from scratch
- more specific terms:
- carve = form by carving
- swage / upset = form metals with a swage
- chip = form by chipping
- layer = make or form a layer
- cut out = form and create by cutting out
- machine = turn, shape, mold, or otherwise finish by machinery
- grind = shape or form by grinding
- stamp = form or cut out with a mold, form, or die
- puddle = subject to puddling or form by puddling
- beat = shape by beating
- preform = form or shape beforehand or determine the shape of beforehand
- preform = form into a shape resembling the final, desired one
- mound = form into a rounded elevation
- hill = form into a hill
- roughcast = shape roughly
- reshape / remold = shape again or shape differently
- sinter = cause (ores or powdery metals) to become a coherent mass by heating without melting
- mould / cast / mold = form by pouring (e.g., wax or hot metal) into a cast or mold
- throw = make on a potter's wheel
- hand-build / handbuild / coil = make without a potter's wheel
- sculpture / sculpt = create by shaping stone or wood or any other hard material
- model / mould / mold = form in clay, wax, etc
- give shape or form to
- example: shape the dough
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 2
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of shape: form
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific terms:
- individuate = give individual shape or form to
- tie = form a knot or bow in
- terrace = make into terraces as for cultivation
- fork = shape like a fork
- tabulate = shape or cut with a flat surface
- dimension = shape or form to required dimensions
- roll = shape by rolling
- draw = flatten, stretch, or mold metal or glass, by rolling or by pulling it through a die or by stretching
- strike = cause to form (an electric arc) between electrodes of an arc lamp
- crystallise / crystallize / crystalise / crystalize = cause to take on a definite and clear shape
- twist = form into twists
- sliver = form into slivers
- ridge = form into a ridge
- plume = form a plume
- round off / round out / round = make round
- scallop / scollop = shape or cut in scallops
- square up / square = make square
- dish = make concave
- fit = make fit
- flatten = make flat or flatter
- distort / deform / strain = alter the shape of (something) by stress
- blow = shape by blowing
- block = shape into a block or blocks
- block = shape by using a block
- cup = form into the shape of a cup
- encircle / circle = form or draw a circle around
- turn = shape by rotating on a lathe or cutting device or a wheel
Alternative definition of the verb shape
- [transitive] To give something a shape and definition.
- To manouevre something into a certain shape.
- (of a country, person, etc) To give influence to.
- Shape is a Marvel comics comic book character created by Mark Gruenwald.
- Shape is a fictional character in the 2007 film Pray.
- "Shape" is a song by English girl group Sugababes, released as the fourth and final single from their second studio album, Angels with Dirty Faces. It was composed by Sting, Dominic Miller, and Craig Dodds, who produced the song. The midtempo pop and R&B ballad incorporates a sample of Sting's 1993 recording "Shape of My Heart", whose vocals are featured in the chorus. It received mixed reviews from critics, who were ambivalent towards the sample of "Shape of My Heart".
- Shape a.k.a. Katachi: The music video of the Katachi song by Shugo Tokumaru.
- read more about Katachi
- "Shape" is the second album from the Australian band Frente!, released in July 1996. The album was recorded in Spain in 1995 and produced by Cameron McVey and Ted Niceley. It was not as successful as their debut album..
- "Shape" is a musical single of Sugababes.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Shape", which is published by Netherlands-based DVS Records, is the first full-length album from Dynamic Lights. It contains 8 songs for a total listening time of about 60 minutes. Shape has been recorded at the beginning of 2004 at Fear Studio. The album features the concept of shape and shapeless.
- genre: Progressive metal
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Shape" is a musical album of Something Like Elvis.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "SHAPE" is a musical album of Sleep My Dear.
- released on (19 years ago)
- "Shape" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Sophie Hunger
- "Shape" is a composition.
- music by Johannes Bjerregaard
- "Shape" is a composition.
- music by Michl Britsch
- "Shape" is a song by Glasser.
- Shape: A shape is the form of an object or its external boundary, outline, or external surface, as opposed to other properties such as color, texture, material composition.
- also known as צורה הנדסית, צורה גיאומטרית, Forma, Oblik, 形狀
- Shape Magazine is a monthly English language fitness magazine started by Weider Publications in 1981, founded by Christine MacIntyre and became the #1 women's fitness magazine. At that time, Weider Enterprises consisted primarily of the bodybuilding magazine Muscle & Fitness. Joe Weider and Christine MacIntyre had differing views of how to present Shape magazine, Weider endorsing a less journalistic and more commercial approach to articles, MacIntyre endorsing a more academic, doctor-based magazine. Weider also endorsed a sexier approach to editorial while MacIntyre endorsed a healthier look for women, eschewing sexiness in the models and the copy. MacIntyre largely won that battle, editing a magazine that required that every byline have an advanced medical degree, that cover models should look healthy rather than sexy, and that sexist language be avoided. Christine MacIntyre was the editor-in-chief until her death in 1988. Tara Kraft is the current editor-in-chief. Shape found a readership based on that formula.
- official website: www.shape.com
- Shape: In the game of Go, shape describes the positional qualities of a group of stones. Descriptions of shapes in go revolve around how well a group creates or removes life and territory. Good shape can refer to the efficient use of stones in outlining territory, the strength of a group in a prospective fight, or making eye shapes so that a group may live. Bad shapes are inefficient in outlining territory and are heavy. Heavy groups cannot easily make eye shapes and are therefore good targets for attack. Understanding and recognizing the difference between good shape and bad is an essential step in becoming a stronger player.
- Shape: For solid oral dosage forms, shape of product.
- shape is an extension.
- Shape: Sign shape (ie. diamond, triangle, octagonal, etc.
Phrases with Shape
Phrases starting with the word Shape:
Phrases ending with the word Shape:
- In Shape
- bell shape
- cone shape
- disk shape
- leaf shape
- take shape
- wave shape
- round shape
- wedge shape
- change shape
- convex shape
- curved shape
- funnel shape
- Out of Shape
- angular shape
View more phrases with the word Shape in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shape
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David B. Johnson, Thomas A. Mowry
p: A shape is a square. q: A shape is ...
by Mark Freitag
Let s represent “A shape is a square,” r represent “The shape is a rectangle,” and q represent “The shape is a quadrilateral.” Symbolically, we represent the argument as: s—>r r—>q '.s—>q This is logically correct because it is a hypothetical ...
by John Bird
The general equation of a quadratic graph is y : ax2 + bx + c, and its shape is that of a parabola. (iii) Cubic equations (see Chapter 35, page 177.) ...
Visual Perception of Shape, Space and Appearance by Liliana Albertazzi
Shape is the major route by which we gain knowledge about our visual world. All contemporary...
by Usha Goswami
Nonetheless, the notion that words honor the ontological distinction between animate and inanimate has been called into question by studies suggesting that shape is a crucial component of children's semantic representations. On this view ...
by Barbara E. Gould, Ruthanna Dyer
The aneurysm may take different shapes: a saccular shape is a bulging wall on one side, whereas a fusiform shape is a circumferential dilatation along a section of artery (Fig. 18-34). Dissecting aneurysms develop when there is a tear in the ...
Second Pacific Rim Symposium, PSIVT 2007 Santiago, Chile, December 17-19, 2007 Proceedings by Domingo Mery, Luis Rueda
Shape is a fundamental image feature and belongs to one of the most important image features used in Content-Based Image Retrieval. This feature alone provides capability to recognize objects and retrieve similar images on the basis of ...
The Descartes Dictionary (2015)
by Kurt Smith
So, for example, shape is amode or modification of extension, where extension isthe attribute. Rather, unmodified inthis context refers to that which doesnot change when conceivingor considering various modes. Consider a finite body.
by William F. Perrin, Bernd Würsig, J.G.M. Thewissen
Figure 2 Fusiform body shape of marine mammals represented by (A) minke whale, Balaenoptera acutorostrata, (B) North Atlantic right whale Eubalaena glacialis, (C) harbor porpoise, Phocoena phocoena, (D) West Indian manatee, ...
A Dictionary of Symbols (2013)
by J. E. Cirlot
its shape, whether open or closed, regular or irregular, geometric or ...
Basic Theory, Measurement, Applications by Daniel Schuster
proposed that microemulsions could theoretically exist in which the shape of the microcores does not necessarily have to be globular but possibly could be cylindrical . This conclusion was reached on the basis that any ...
Maths Dictionary (1999)
by Steve Mills, Hilary Koll
A convex two- dimensional shape has all its vertices pointing outwards.
A cross-section is a shape made by cutting straight through something, like an apple or a tree. A cross-section of a triangular prism ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
POLITICS/POLITICIANS; STARES Bakeland, Brooks CLINGING Baker, Carlos CHARACTER; EMOTIONS; EN— THUSIASM; FACIAL SHAPE; FIRE AND SMOKE; HAPPINESS; HUNGER; LAUGHTER; ...
by Informa Healthcare, Waldemar Karwowski
The footwear shape and size are determined by a shoe last, a mould over which the footwear is constructed. The last, shown in Figure 1, comes from the old Anglo-Saxon word laest, which means a footprint or a foot track. As the shoe last is ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shape
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Shape
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Infomastern
Photo credit: joostmarkerink
Photo credit: paolofefe
Photo credit: Tukang Kebun
Photo credit: Ben Halsall
Photo credit: Ben Halsall
- Woman shape
Photo credit: Jacobo Garcia
- Twisty shape
Seems like it wouldn't be difficult to 3D print this kind of shapes...
Photo credit: fdecomite
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Shape
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Y Shape Golf Swing -- Explanation
For a technically correct, sound, repeatable swing, adopt The Y Shape method. Preserving The Y Shape structure during the entire swing automatically gives ...
- Shape definition video
- Memory & Meaning: How To Let Your Mind Shape Your Future
As one of few people in the world born with Superior Autobiographical Memory, Marilu Henner can recall nearly every detail of every day of her life. In this ...
- Tricep Workouts For Women - Add shape and definition to your upper arms
Build your best body with...
- Dr. Boyce Watkins helps shape the definition of the word diversity
Dr. Boyce Watkins of Syracuse University spoke to a packed Whitley Auditorium as the Keynote Speaker for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Program ...
- How your Experiences shape your Definition of Magic
- Revealed - How to shape your chest for definition!!
Find out in this video, the best way to tone your chest as a female, and how the workout should be done for optimum results.
- ***Exclusively Revealed - How to add muscle mass, size, definition and shape to your chest***
The chest muscles are a very popular muscle group for bodybuilders, athletes and training enthusiasts. People train so hard for chest development however ...
- Shape Meaning
Video shows what shape means. The status or condition of something. Condition of personal health, especially muscular health.. The appearance of something, ...
- Shape Memory Metals: Demo and Explanation
- Lighting: using light to shape meaning
Year 10 Media interactive lesson.
- Size and Shape Vocabulary
Size and Shape Vocabulary.
- Shape Vocabulary
- Minel Sudarmadji The shape n the Meaning
- Le Tableau at Cheim & Read and Shape Language at Klagsbrun
James Kalm, like the whole city, is sweltering in summer heat, and it seems local curators are trying to lower the temperatures in galleries by presenting a couple ...
- How Human Body Language Will Shape the Future of Robotics - Guy Hoffman | SDF2014
Roboticist Guy Hoffman questions the assumption of 'predictable, uncreative robots' by developing robots that "think with their bodies". The key to the future of ...
- There is no shape of dream - Luffy [ Romaji ( description) ] [HD]
There is no shape of dream - Luffy avec les romaji dans la description. Romaji : Usubeni no sora o irodoru hanabira Hirahira mau sakura no naka Bokura ...
- How Language Takes Shape in Your Brain
Imagine something you've never seen before-- a talking hot dog, a unicorn, a tiger who's also an executive! Can you now list the things you actualy imagined?
- New Study Says Mountains Helped Shape Human Language
An anthropologist says the sounds used in human language were partially shaped by altitude.
- Shape description
- Jaydon's shape / language lesson
- Shape Description
- Unique verb (labbin at n shape)
Just a practice.
- Description of Wedge Mouthpiece Rim Shape
This video shows the unique features of the Wedge mouthpiece rim.
- How Language Can Shape Culture
Are you bilingual, multilingual, interested in learning other languages or someone that sort of speaks multiple languages? Then you'll want to listen to this.
- Power of language to shape culture Kiev
- The Sound Shape of Language
- PowerPoint 2010 Set an Alternative Text Description for a Picture or Shape on a Web Page
How to Set an Alternative Text Description for a Picture or Shape on a Web Page.
- Lick Something - Somebody Into Shape - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Non-rigid Shape Correspondence and Description Using Geodesic Field Estimate Distribution
SIGGRAPH 2012 Submission.
See also the pronunciation examples of Shape!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Shape
In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
more quotes about shape...
Scrabble value of S1H4A1P3E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SHAPE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Shape!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Shape to see it in context!