The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun shilling:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun shilling
- Phrases with Shilling
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shilling
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shilling
- Photos about Shilling
- Video language resources about Shilling
- Quotes about Shilling
- Scrabble value of S1H4I1L1L1I1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun shilling
What does shilling mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: shillings
- the basic unit of money in Uganda; equal to 100 cents
- the basic unit of money in Tanzania; equal to 100 cents
- the basic unit of money in Somalia; equal to 100 cents
- the basic unit of money in Kenya; equal to 100 cents
- a former monetary unit in Great Britain
- an English coin worth one twentieth of a pound
Alternative definition of the noun shilling
- A coin formerly used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Australia, New Zealand and many other Commonwealth countries.
- synonym: bob
- The currency of Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania and Uganda.
- synonym: Deener
- The shilling is a unit of currency formerly used in the United Kingdom and other British Commonwealth countries. The word shilling comes from scilling, an accounting term that dates back to Anglo-Saxon times where it was deemed to be the value of a cow in Kent or a sheep elsewhere. The word is thought to derive from the base skell-, "to ring/resound" and the diminutive suffix -ling. Slang terms for the old shilling coins include "bob" and "hog".
- Shilling: The English shilling was a silver coin of the Kingdom of England, when first introduced known as the testoon. It remained in circulation until it became the British shilling as the result of the Union of England and Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain in 1707.
- Shilling: The Australian Shilling was a coin of the Commonwealth of Australia prior to decimalization. The coin was minted from 1910 until 1963, excluding 1923, 1929, 1930, 1932, 1938, 1947, 1949 and 1951. After decimalization on 14 February 1966, it was equal to 10¢.
Phrases with Shilling
Phrases starting with the word Shilling:
Phrases ending with the word Shilling:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shilling
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Prairie Farmer (1816)
“A shilling." is the answer. "0, then get it, by all means-a shilling is a trifle.
Every shilling is a little rill-a small stream that runs into the post-rider's pocket or the collector's purse; :1 number of these little streams, thus united, make a large stream ...
Report, together with Minutes of Evidence and Accounts, from the Select Committee appointed to inquire into the Cause of the High Price of Gold Bullion (1810)
by Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons
The Flemish shilling is a nominal value; twenty shillings are a pound Flemish; a Flemish is equal to 7—,} mares. \Vhat does it represent nominally in silver or Gold , and how much P—A quantity of bar silver of the standard of 47/48 purity at the ...
Being a Treatise on the Constructive Principles of the Language
A shilling is the worth ofmy knife. If the first form, ofthis sentence be anomalous, so is the second and third, because the 2d is only the first transposed, and the third, is the first, rendered plenary ; sltilting and worth are in the same case by ...
should be im- or any part of each integral shilling, by History of fiasgm osed; so that, when the price was at 698., the duty on which such price shall be under 82s. "19C"!!! . ' , Importation was to ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica; Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature; Constructed on a Plan, by which the Different Sciences and Arts are Digested Into the Form of Distinct Treatises Or Systems, Comprehending the History, Theory, and Practice, of Each, According to the Latest Discoveries and Improvements... Vol. 1. [-18] (1797)
A Io shillinga:.} OsL. l. shilling, or a penny, is an equal number os pounde, shillings or pence; and these two last are easily reduced to pnundq. The value, at any other rate, may be calculatcd by easy methrarls, depending on some contraction ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
Tajikistan: Tajik schilling Denmark: krone Kazakhstan: tenge North Korea: won ruble Azerbaijan: manat Dominican Republic: Kenya: Kenyan Norway: krone Tanzania: Tanzanian Bahamas: Bahamian peso shilling Oman: Omani rial shilling ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shilling
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Shilling
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Feltbug
Photo credit: wiadcc
- Odell 90 Shilling
Photo credit: Matthew Black
- Shilling , Eric
Catalog #: 02-S-00083
Last Name: Shilling
First Name: Eric
Repository: San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive
- Erik Shilling
Catalog #: 0050
Subject: The Flying Tigers - China
Title: Erik Shilling Washington D.C.
Repository: San Diego Air and Space Museum Archive
- King George VI Shilling
For those of you who watched The Kings Speech and wondered, here is a shilling with the likeness of King George the Sixth. This shilling was from East Africa and dated 1949.
Photo credit: DrPhotoMoto
- Shilling Campaign
Photo credit: WisPolitics.com
- GREAT BRITAIN WILLIAM IV---ONE SHILLING 1834 b
Photo credit: woody1778a
View more pictures about Eric Shilling.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Shilling
Click on an item to play that video:
- Shilling Meaning
Video shows what shilling means. A coin formerly used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Malta, Australia, New Zealand and many other Commonwealth countries.
- King's shilling Meaning
Video shows what King's shilling means. a shilling accepted by new recruits when tricked into or agreeing to enlist into the British army or navy during the 18th ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Shilling!
Quotes about Shilling
The poor man's shilling is but a penny.
more quotes about shilling...
Scrabble value of S1H4I1L1L1I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Shilling to see it in context!