On this page:
Definition of the noun shiralee
What does shiralee mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: shiralees
- burden, load
- [Australia] [colloquial] [obsolete] A type of swag shaped roughly like a leg of mutton when rolled up, carried over the shoulder usually with some other load on the chest to balance it. (Reference: D'Arcy Niland in the Aboriginalities section of The Bulletin magazine, 27 September 1957. Quoted by Bill Wannan, Australian Folklore, Lansdowne Press, 1970, reprint 1979 ISBN 0-7018-1309-1, under "Shiralee", page 475.)
"Shiralee" a.k.a. "The Shiralee" is a 1957 British film made by Ealing Studios, directed by Leslie Norman and based on the novel by D'Arcy Niland. Although all exterior scenes were filmed in Australia and Australian actors Charles Tingwell, Bill Kerr and Ed Devereaux played in supporting roles, the film is really a British film made in Australia, rather than an Australian film.
- countries: United Kingdom, Australia
- language: English Language
- producer: Michael Balcon
- written by Neil Paterson & Leslie Norman
- based on "The Shiralee" by D'Arcy Niland
- cinematography by Paul Beeson
- music by John Addison
- genre: Drama
- released on (58 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for shiralee
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Eric Partridge
shiralee ; shirralee. A swag or bundle of blankets, etc.: Australian: from ca 1880; ob. Ex an Aboriginal word. cf. BLUEY. shirk . At Winchester, from ca 1860, shirk in is to walk, instead of plunging, into water, while shirk out is to go ...
by John Ayto, John Simpson
shine shiner Shinner Shinola shiralee shirt shit shit-bag shit-eater shite-hawk shitface shithead. used a shim to get us in (1977). verb trans. 2 To open (a lock or door) with a shim 1972–. [From earlier sense, thin slip used to fill up or adjust the ...
by Brian Giffin
– 1999 Shiralee Morgan and drummer Adrian Bickle formed the band originally as Jeneaha in late 1996. After the recording of a demo, Jeneaha split; the pair changed the band name to Chalice. Chronicles of Dysphoria was recorded ...
The Dinkum Dictionary (2010)
by Susan Butler
D'ArcyNiland, The Shiralee, 1955. The name of a successful new invention automatically becomes part of world English no matter where it comes from. The bionic ear may have been named by its inventors in Melbourne, but that is what it is ...
Encyclopedia of Rose Science (2003)
by Thomas Debener, Serge Gudin
Suzuki, Seizo; Keisei Rose Nursery 'Shiralee' HT, yb, 1965; flowers yellow flushed orange, ...
Fourth edition by Brian McFarlane
and Peter FINCH's ditto in The Shiralee (1957); ...
by V.S. Matyushenkov
shiralee, alsoswag Aus.col. bag containing allthe necessary things. shire Aus.ruralarea withits own elected council. shires Br.the ...
faggot, fasces, fasten, gather, huddle, hustle,knitch, packet, parcel, tumble 07 cluster,dorlach, fascine,package 08 fascicle,quantity, shiralee,woolpack 09 fascicule,shirralee, trousseau10 assortment, collection, fasciculus11 consignment,push ...
by Jerry Roberts
Paul Seed; The Shiralee (1991) George Ogilvie; Summer's Lease (1991) Martyn Friend.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for shiralee
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about shiralee
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about shiralee
Video shows what shiralee means. Burden, load. A type of swag that when rolled up resembles a leg of mutton, carried over the shoulder, usually with another ...
Scrabble value of S1H4I1R1A1L1E1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SHIRALEE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of shiralee!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of shiralee to find many related words and phrases!