The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun shroud:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb shroud:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Shroud
What does Shroud mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: shrouds
- a line that suspends the harness from the canopy of a parachute
- (nautical) a line (rope or chain) that regulates the angle at which a sail is set in relation to the wind
- domain: navigation / sailing / seafaring
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of shroud: mainsheet / sheet / tack / weather sheet
- more generic word: line = something (as a cord or rope) that is long and thin and flexible
- more specific term: futtock shroud = shroud that is part of a ship's rigging
- part of: ship = a vessel that carries passengers or freight
- burial garment in which a corpse is wrapped
Alternative definition of the noun Shroud
- That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.
- Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.
- That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
- A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or den; also, a vault or crypt.
- The branching top of a tree; foliage.
- [nautical] A rope or cable serving to support the mast sideways.
- One of the two annular plates at the periphery of a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a shroud plate.
Definition of the verb Shroud
What does Shroud mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: shrouded | shrouding | shrouds
- cover as if with a shroud
- examples: The origins of this civilization are shrouded in mystery | The wind storms shroud the area with dust and dirt
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of shroud: cover / enshroud / hide
- more generic words: enclose / enfold / envelop / enwrap / wrap = enclose or enfold completely with or as if with a covering
- form a cover like a shroud
- examples: Mist shrouded the castle | Dust and dirt shroud the area
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Jessica sprayed the wall | Leslie staffed the store [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] in [Theme] Leigh swaddled the baby in blankets [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Leslie staffed the store with employees [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] [Destination] The employees staffed the store
Verbs of Putting (with the same syntax): adorn, anoint, bandage, bathe, bestrew, bind, blanket, block, blot, bombard, carpet, choke, cloak, clog, clutter, coat, contaminate, cover, dam, dapple, deck, decorate, deluge, dirty, disguise, dot, douse, drench, edge, embellish, emblazon, encircle, encrust, endow, enrich, entangle, face, festoon, fill, fleck, flood, frame, garland, garnish, gild, grace, imbue, impregnate, infect, inject, inlay, interlace, interlard, interleave, intersperse, interweave, inundate, lard, lash, line, litter, mask, mottle, ornament, pad, panel, pave, plate, plug, replenish, riddle, ring, ripple, robe, saturate, season, smother, soak, soil, speckle, splotch, spot, staff, stipple, stop up, stud, suffuse, sully, surround, swaddle, swathe, taint, tile, trim, veil, vein.
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- more generic terms: cover / spread over = form a cover over
- wrap in a shroud
- The Shroud is a fictional superhero in the Marvel Comics universe. He first appeared in Super-Villain Team-Up #5, and was created by Steve Englehart and Herb Trimpe.
- Shroud is a fictional character from the TV program Kamen Rider W.
- also known as Shuraudo
"Shroud" is a book written by John Banville.
- also known as 裹屍布
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Shroud" is a 2013 Telly Award winning film.
- "Shroud" is a 2013 short animated film directed by Tamás Tóth.
- country: Hungary
- genre: Animation
- released in
- "Shroud" is a musical album of Chester Endersby Gwazda.
- released on
- "Shroud" is a musical EP of Whisperer.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Shroud" a.k.a. "The Shroud Of" is the debut studio album by American industrial act Minimal Man. It was released in 1981, through record label Subterranean.
- read more about The Shroud Of
- Shroud usually refers to an item, such as a cloth, that covers or protects some other object. The term is most often used in reference to burial sheets, mound shroud, grave clothes, winding-cloths or winding-sheets, such as the famous Shroud of Turin or Tachrichim that Jews are dressed in for burial. Traditionally, mound shrouds are made of white cotton, wool or linen, though any material can be used so long as it is made of natural fibre. Intermixture of two or more such fibres is forbidden, a proscription that ultimately derives from the Torah, viz., Deut. 22:11.
- also known as 寿衣
- Shroud: On a sailboat, the shrouds are pieces of standing rigging which hold the mast up from side to side. There is frequently more than one shroud on each side of the boat.
Phrases with Shroud
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Shroud
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
And Did Those Feet...? (2012)
by Michael Goldsworthy
The Shroud is the burial cloth of Jesus and with all findings from modern three dimensional computer analyses, biochemistry, medicine, forensic pathology, anatomy and botany, a potential fabricator had to know enough of the effects of ...
by Michael Brumfield, Mike Brumfield
The Shroud is the physical evidence that ...
by Glennys Howarth, Oliver Leaman
shroud. A shroud or winding sheet is a long piece of cloth, usually white in colour, that is wrapped around the corpse and tied or knotted at head and foot. Most shrouds fit closely to the body encompassing it in a secure and streamline fashion.
by Noah Webster
Defn: One of thetwo annular plates at the periphery ofa water wheel, which form thesidesof the buckets; a shroud plate.Bowsprit shrouds (Naut.), ropes extending fromthe head ofthe bowspritto the sidesofthe vessel. Futtock shrouds(Naut.) ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
Tbefe are used for shrouds, and fbisxordage is therefore called shroud laid cordage. A rope of the fame ...
by Tom Lenfestey, Thompson Lenfestey
shroud n. A wire or rope, part of the standing rigging, that leads from a mast to the side of a vessel to support the mast . See RATLINE; STAY. (2) A casing around propeller and turbine blades. shroud cap ...
t [Shroud, v.] shroud, •schroud, *shrud, t. [A. S. »crdd = a "By abstaining altogether from action, the public no garment, clothing; cogn. with Icel. sknidh - the doubt make a further shrinkage probable. "-Si\ James's abroad* of a ...
From Alien Abductions to Zone Therapy by William F. Williams
While it was not officially acknowledged as a Holy Relic by the Church of thattime, the shroud was considered valuable and sacred by many people of the area.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Shroud
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Shroud
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Winter shroud
Photo credit: Mel B.
- Shroud: Spain
Shrouded church in Barcelona, Spain.
Photo credit: AlexPears
- Centaur Standard Shroud at SPF Plum Brook
Centaur Standard Shroud in the NASA Lewis Research Center's (now known as the Glenn Research Center) Space Power Facility, Plum Brook Station. The shroud protects the spacecraft during launch. When it was constructed, the Space Power Facility (SPF) was the world's largest vacuum chamber. It stands more than 122 feet high, 100 feet in diameter and provides a vacuum environment for the study of space propulsion. Originally commissioned for nuclear-electric propulsion studies, the SPF has been recommissioned for current and future use in the ongoing research and development of space propulsion systems.
- Petrie Museum Event - The Mummy's Shroud
Photo credit: vintagedept
- Sequence of Assembly of OAO Shroud at SPC
(June 24, 1965) Assembly of the Orbiting Astronomical Observatory (OAO) for shroud jettison tests in the Space Power Chamber (SPC) at Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio. Lewis is now known as the John H. Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field. The SPC consisted of two vacuum tanks that were created in 1962 inside the former Altitude Wind Tunnel. The OAO satellites, launched on Atlas-Centaur and Atlas Angena rockets, were the first to allow astronomers to view the universe from above the Earths obscuring and distorting atmosphere.
Image # : C1965-1458
- Shroud of Turin
A copy only, but still impressive, especially exposed that way.
Photo credit: Krzysztof D.
- Shroud of night approaches
Photo credit: waitscm
- Shroud of Turin
Photo credit: Gunnshots
- Tangerine Shroud
Quest condo construction. 105 Street and 104 Avenue
Photo credit: Kurayba
- Go Go Gadget Shroud of Turin
Photo credit: quinn.anya
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Shroud
Click on an item to play that video:
- Shroud Meaning
Video shows what shroud means. That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a garment.. Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet.. That which ...
- Barrel shroud Meaning
Video shows what barrel shroud means. A ventilated covering for the barrel of a firearm that prevents accidental burns to the operators. Barrel shroud Meaning.
- Explanation of the Badge Shroud
Lieutenant tony Sizemore discusses the meaning behind the badge shroud that is being worn by officers of the Cape Coral Police Department.
- The Only Explanation for the Shroud is the Simplest One!
- English Vocabularies for ESL EFL Beginners -- puff, shear, shroud etc. Lesson 174
Learning English words through pictures. SCRIPT The jeans are patched up. The man is puffing the smoke. The man is slamming a hammer down. The men are ...
- Volkswagen 1971-79 Alternator fan description, for dog house fan shroud.
The observation of how the71-79 fan is different than the narrower pre-71 fans.
View more videos about futtock shroud.
See also the pronunciation examples of Shroud!
Quotes about Shroud
A shroud has no pockets.
more quotes about shroud...
Scrabble value of S1H4R1O1U1D2
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SHROUD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Shroud!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Shroud to see it in context!