The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sight:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb sight:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sight
- Definition of the verb sight
- Phrases with Sight
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sight
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sight
- Photos about Sight
- Video language resources about Sight
- Sign language
- Quotes about Sight
- Scrabble value of S1I1G2H4T1
- Share this page
The word sight is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sight
What does sight mean as a name of something?
Sight is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: sights
- an instance of visual perception
- anything that is seen
- examples: he was a familiar sight on the television | they went to Paris to see the sights
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic word: display = exhibiting openly in public view
- more specific word: spectacle = something or someone seen
- the ability to see; the visual faculty
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of sight: vision / visual modality / visual sense
- more generic terms: modality / sense modality / sensory system = a particular sense; exteroception = sensitivity to stimuli originating outside of the body
- more specific terms:
- stigmatism = normal eyesight
- achromatic vision = vision using the rods
- sharp-sightedness / visual acuity / acuity = sharpness of vision
- binocular vision = vision involving the use of both eyes
- central vision = vision using the fovea and parafovea
- chromatic vision / color vision / trichromacy = the normal ability to see colors
- distance vision = vision for objects that a 20 feet or more from the viewer
- sightedness / eyesight / seeing = normal use of the faculty of vision
- monocular vision = vision with only one eye
- near vision = vision for objects 2 feet or closer to the viewer
- scotopic vision / twilight vision / night vision / night-sight = the ability to see in reduced illumination
- daylight vision / photopic vision = normal vision in daylight
- peripheral vision = vision at the edges of the visual field using only the periphery of the retina
- a range of mental vision
- the range of vision
- the act of looking or seeing or observing
- (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of sight: batch / deal / flock / good deal / great deal / hatful / heap / lot / mass / mess / mickle / mint / mountain / muckle / passel / peck / pile / plenty / pot / quite a little / raft / slew / spate / stack / tidy sum / wad
- more generic terms: large indefinite amount / large indefinite quantity = an indefinite quantity that is above the average in size or magnitude
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun sight
- the ability to see
- something seen
- synonym: view
- something worth seeing
- a device used in aiming a projectile, through which the person aiming looks at the intended target
- [context: now colloquial] a great deal, a lot; [frequently used to intensify a comparative]
Specialised definition of the noun sight
Glossary of sports
a device on an archer's bow, on a pistol, on a rifle and on similar weapons that allows the user to take aim at the target (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / archery
a device on the bow that allows the archer to take aim on the target
Definition of the verb sight
What does sight mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sighted | sighting | sights
- catch sight of; to perceive with the eyes
- example: he caught sight of the king's men coming over the ridge
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Stimulus] I saw the play | The crew spotted the island
Verbs of Perception (with the same syntax): descry, discover, espy, examine, experience, eye, glimpse, inspect, investigate, make out, note, observe, overhear, perceive, peruse, recognize, regard, savor, scan, scent, scrutinize, sniff, spot, spy, study, survey, view, watch, witness.
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonym of sight: spy
- more generic words: comprehend / perceive = to become aware of through the senses
- more specific words:
- take aim by looking through the sights of a gun (or other device)
Alternative definition of the verb sight
- [transitive] to visually register
- synonym: see
- [transitive] to get sight of (something)
- [transitive] to take aim at
- "Sight" is a horror movie released April 20, 2008 directed by Adam Ahlbrandt.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- Allison Persaud as Dana
- Frank Traynor as Uncle Ron
- Tony Luke, Jr. as Paul
- Philip Raymond as Jeffrey's Father
- Clayton Haske as Jeffrey
- Ernest E. Brown as Crime Scene Detective
- David Hartman as Jeffrey
- Robert Reed Murphy as Det. Walters
- Donna Earl as Mrs. Dorris
- Godfrey Rayner as Wes
- David B. Johnson as Henry
- Roosevelt Darby Jr. as Mark
- Bowman Wright as Dillon
- Andrew Borthwick-Leslie as Dr. Bennet
- Cheryl Scungio as Dr. Bennice
- Doug Layne as Nurse #1
- Elyssa Phillips as Nurse #2
- Katie Horstman as Nurse #3
- Colleen O'Brien as Sue
- Eric Blahut as Neighbor
- Johnny Pulcinella as Carlos
- Arnold Sydney as Voodoo Hoss
- Elizabeth Ahlbrandt as Jeffrey's Mother
- Amalia Hartman as Ghost Girl in Alley
- Alan McClintock as Ghost in Closet
- Stephanie Gerhard as Levitating Ghost
- Gerry Gerhard as Ghost at Cafe
- Jessica Castagneto as Ghost in Hall
- Quinten Staton as Ghost in Wheelchair
- Anthony Jones as Cab Driver
- Jeni Rose as Sarah
- John Morrison as Dan
- Adam Ahlbrandt as Police Photographer
- genres: Supernatural, Mystery, Thriller, Horror, Suspense, Psychological thriller
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Sight" is a 2012 short documentary drama film written and directed by Thirza Cuthand.
Sight is a fictional character from the 2013 film Battle of the Year: The Dream Team.
Phrases with Sight
Phrases starting with the word Sight:
Phrases ending with the word Sight:
- At Sight
- in sight
- On Sight
- Eye Sight
- Far Sight
- Old Sight
- long sight
- Near Sight
- open sight
- peep sight
- catch sight
View more phrases with the word Sight in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sight
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Basic Civil Engineering (2010)
Back sight (BS): A back sight is the first staff reading taken after setting up the instrument at any position.
by Charles Q. Cutshaw
The rear sight is a leaf sliding on a ramp; it has a U notch for aiming. There is also a night sight with an enlarged U with a fluorescent white spot. The rear sight is graduated in hundreds of meters marked 1 to 10. There is also a windage scale.
by Erik Lawrence
The rear sight is a flip-type Unotch, while the front sight is a cylindrical post and can be fitted with night sights. The AKS-74U has only a few differences from the basic AKS-74 assault rifle. The AKS-74U has a severely shortened barrel, with the ...
Chiefly from the Kectures of Dr. Blair by Hugh Blair, Abraham Mills
It begins thus: “Our sight is the most perfect, and most delightful of all our senses.” This is an excellent introductory sentence ...
Sight, sīt,n. act of seeing: view: facultyofseeing: that which isseen:aspectacle: anobjectofespecialinterest: space withinvision:examination:asmallopeningfor looking through ...
by Joshua Montefiore
-usance on Parts, zi 60 0lays date; oh London, at 50 days sight. — There- ate 15 days grace on bills drawn from the provinces, or from the colonies beyond the seas, and 6 days only on bills drawn by foreign countries.
Bowhunter's Encyclopedia (1992)
by Dwight R. Schuh
Many sight pins are made of untreated brass, which is okay on the target range, but in the field, sunlight will reflect off those pins and give you a flare effect that makes aiming nearly impossible. Either buy a sight with painted pins, or dip the ...
Designed to Give, in Complete and Accurate Statement, and in the Readiest Form for Popular Use, the Orthography, Pronunciation, Meaning and Etymology of All the Words and Terms Used in the Ophthalmic Sciences by Robert H. Knowles, Rollin Henry Knowles
Ill Sight rest. A concave sphere will correct True Short Sight and the weakest with which the patient can see the distance letter will be the concave spherical lens to prescribe. 8HOBT 8IOBT WITH CORBECTION. 2. — False Short Sight is due to ...
A practical dictionary, containing concise, yet comprehensive schemes of the most necessary subjects; divine, moral, and literary. A new edition, considerably enlarged ... With a recommendation by Mr. Samuel Drew, etc (1823)
by William SLEIGH (Wesleyan Minister.), Samuel DREW
SIGHT; the sense of seeing. Though it may be impossible to prevent the decay of sight, whether arising from age, partial disease, or illness, yet its natural failure may certainly be retarded, and the general habit of the eyes strengthened, by an ...
A Dictionary of Military Knowledge by Edward Samuel Farrow
Standing sight. 5 hits, of which 2 in the rest................ stroke, # 2 100 m. (110 yds.) Standing, with Stroke target.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sight
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sight
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: VBC17
The Sight section of the sensory garden in Dromod, Co. Leitrim. The garden has a section for every sense.
Photo credit: EoinGardiner
Photo credit: VBC17
Lucia si prepara al matrimonio
Photo credit: Reportergimmi
Photo credit: kud4ipad
Photo credit: evekopelman
View more pictures about In Sight.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sight
Click on an item to play that video:
- 5th grade sight vocabulary words (54 flashcards)
5th grade sight vocabulary words in flashcard. See if you children can recognize these words. Have them read it out loud to you. FlashcardTV is flashcard in ...
- Chant, Chant, Chants: Building Sight Vocabulary and Motivation for Literacy (Virtual Tour)
Students make predictions, search for sight words, highlight rhyming words and identify multisyllabic words as they chant the weekly poem. See the lesson plan ...
- Eye sight Meaning
Video shows what eye sight means. vision, the ability or accuracy with which one can see.. Eye sight Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- 4th grade sight vocabulary words (97 flashcards)
4th grade sight vocabulary words in flashcard. See if you children can recognize these words. Have them read it out loud to you. If they do well, test them with the ...
- Direct Sight - Glasses Frames Size Explanation
How to tell what the measurements of your current pair of glasses are by the code printed on the arm, and how to order sizes and shapes that suit you.
- Body Language - Seeds of Sight [Audio]
Body Language - Seeds of Sight, from their 2011 album Social Studies. Become their fan @...
- BODY LANGUAGE - Seeds Of Sight
BODY LANGUAGE (Social Studies) - 05 - Seeds Of Sight Recomendadisimo album, estos cabrones hacen musica excelente, disfrutenla!!
- Site, Cite, Sight - Learn English Language Lesson
Want to learn some English? In this (LEL) Learn English Language video, the words site, cite, and sight are talked about.
- Sight language with Arianka
- AuRoraPMS vs CadenZa ESL Iron Lady 5 Game 1 GSL Dual Sight
- SlideSpeech following Sight, Language and Writing
- Picture description of sight during day
- Sight & Sound in Shine Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Sight!
How to practice sight words with sign language at home!!
Quotes about Sight
Scrabble value of S1I1G2H4T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sight to see it in context!