On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun silver fir
What does silver fir mean as a name of something?
- any of various true firs having leaves white or silvery white beneath
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic terms: fir / fir tree / true fir = any of various evergreen trees of the genus Abies
- more specific terms:
- Pacific silver fir / Abies amabilis / Christmas tree / red silver fir / amabilis fir / white fir = medium to tall fir of western North America having a conic crown and branches in tiers
- European silver fir / Christmas tree / Abies alba = tall timber tree of central and southern Europe having a regular crown and grey bark
- California white fir / Abies concolor / Abies lowiana / Colorado fir / white fir = medium to tall fir of central to western United States having a narrow erect crown and soft wood
- Abies balsamea / balm of Gilead / Canada balsam / balsam fir = medium-sized fir of northeastern North America; leaves smell of balsam when crushed
- Abies fraseri / Fraser fir = small fast-growing but short-lived fir of southern Alleghenies similar to balsam fir but with very short leaves
- lowland white fir / Abies grandis / lowland fir / giant fir / grand fir = lofty fir of the Pacific coast of northwestern America having long curving branches and deep green leaves
- Abies lasiocarpa / subalpine fir / Alpine fir = medium-tall timber tree of the Rocky Mountains having a narrowly conic to columnar crown
Alternative definition of the noun silver fir
- A common name for Abies alba, a large evergreen coniferous tree native to Europe.
Phrases with Silver Fir
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Silver Fir
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Wood (2007)
by U S Dept of Agriculture
Pacific silver fir white fir western hemlock Pacific silver fir jack pine pitch pine red pine northern white cedar western redcedar yellow-cedar eastern hemlock western hemlock Douglas-fir balsam fir grand fir Pacific silver fir subalpine ( alpine) ...
by ROBERT CHAMBERS
The Common Silver Fir (Abies pectitiata, or Pinus picea) lias erect cylindrical cones, 5-6 inches long, and two- rowed leaves, with two white lines upon the under side. It forms considerable woods upon the mountains of Central Europe and of ...
The common SILVER FIR (Picea pectinata, or Abies or Pinus 1.9 has erect cylindrical cones, 5–6 inches long, and two-rowed leaves, with two white lines upon the under side. It forms considerable woods upon the mountains of Central Europe ...
The Celtic Encyclopedia (1998)
by Harry Mountain
NAME Silver Fir LATIN Abies pectinata CELTIC Ailm SUBSTITUTE Elm ALPHABET A TYPE tree ASSOCIATED moon goddess / birth / black / hinge / divining (will/desire) / new sun year TIME PERIOD new moon / winter solstice ( Dec 21-22) ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
cilicica Common silver fir A. alba East Himalayan fir ...
by Carole J. Skelly
fir needles oil pine fir silver fir silverspruce templin oil whitespruce white fir Abies balsamea [Pinaceae] balmofGilead ...
by Philip Miller
Canada Silver Fir (A. Canadensis, Hort. Kew.); or Hemlock Spruce Fir. An ornamental evergreen tree, twenty- five to thirty feet high, from North America in 1736 : leaves downy, toothed, somewhat leaning two ways; flowers, without petals, ...
And of the Arts, Sciences, Instruments, and Practice, Necessary to the Farmer, Stockfarmer, Gardener, Forester, Landsteward, Farrier, &c by John Marius Wilson
The twisted-branched silver fir, Picea pectinata tortuota, is a curious variety of the common silver fir, with remarkably crooked or twisted branches and branchlets, of a somewhat peculiar appearance, and very suitable for either pinetums or ...
A Concise Guide to Over 385 Plant Oils by Carol Schiller, David Schiller
Abelmoschus esculentus — Okra Abelmoschus moschatus — Ambrette Seed Abies alba — Fir Needles, Silver Fir Abies balsamea — Fir Balsam Needles, Fir Balsam Resin Abies balsamifera — Fir Balsam Resin Abies grandis — Grand Fir, ...
The Rural Cyclopedia, Or A General Dictionary of Agriculture, and of the Arts, Sciences, Instruments, and Practice, Necessary to the Farmer, Stockfarmer, Gardener, Forester, Landsteward, Farrier, & C (1849)
by John Marius Wilson
The twisted-branched silver fir, Picea pectinata lortuosa, is a curious variety of the common silver fir, with remarkably crooked or twisted branches and branchlets, of a somewhat peculiar appearance, and very suitable for either pinetums or ...
Chamber's Encyclopaedia (1871)
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People
The common Silver FIR (Picea pectinata, or Abies or Pinus picea) has erect cylindrical cones, 5–6 inches long, and two-rowed leaves, with two white lines upon the under side. It forms considerable woods upon the mountains of Central ...
Volume 1: North America by M.M. Grandtner
silver fir; single spruce (ob) (Canada) f sapin s abete, bansú, cipreso, guayame, huallame (Mexico); jolacote (Guatemala, Mexico); oyamel, pinabete, pino ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Silver Fir
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Silver Fir
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: five seventh
View more pictures about Pacific silver fir.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Silver Fir
Silver fir Meaning
Video shows what silver fir means. Abies alba, a large evergreen coniferous tree native to Europe.. Silver fir Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
View more videos about Pacific silver fir.
Quotes about Silver Fir
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'silver fir"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Silver Fir to find many related words and phrases!