The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun snapper:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun snapper
What does snapper mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: snappers / snapper (fish) / snappers (fish)
- (American football) the person who plays center on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball to the quarterback
- flesh of any of various important food fishes of warm seas
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- more generic term: saltwater fish = flesh of fish from the sea used as food
- more specific term: red snapper = highly esteemed reddish lean flesh of snapper from Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico
- part of: Chrysophrys auratus = Australian food fish having a pinkish body with blue spots
- a party favor consisting of a paper roll (usually containing candy or a small favor) that pops when pulled at both ends
- Australian food fish having a pinkish body with blue spots
- any of several large sharp-toothed marine food and sport fishes of the family Lutjanidae of mainly tropical coastal waters
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: food fish = any fish used for food by human beings; percoid / percoid fish / percoidean = any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
- more specific terms:
- Lutjanus blackfordi / red snapper = an esteemed food fish with pinkish red head and body
- Lutjanus griseus / mangrove snapper / gray snapper / grey snapper = found in shallow waters off the coast of Florida
- Lutjanus analis / mutton snapper / muttonfish = similar to and often marketed as `red snapper'
- Lutjanus apodus / schoolmaster = food fish of warm Caribbean and Atlantic waters
- yellowtail snapper / Ocyurus chrysurus / yellowtail = superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail
- member of: family Lutjanidae / Lutjanidae = snappers
- large-headed turtle with powerful hooked jaws found in or near water; prone to bite
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Devisia mythodes / species Devisia mythodes / Emysaura serpentina / species Emysaura serpentina / Testudo serpentaria / species Testudo serpentaria / Testudo serpentina / species Testudo serpentina / Chelydra serpentina
- synonym of snapper: common snapping turtle
- more generic term: snapping turtle = large aggressive freshwater turtle with powerful jaws
- member of: Chelydra / genus Chelydra = snapping turtles
- geographic area: Middle America, North America, Oceania, South America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun snapper
- Any of some 100 different species of fish.
- [US] Any of a family of percoid fishes [Lutjanidae] especially the red snapper
- [Ireland] [slang] A baby (a human baby).
- [American football] - the player who snaps the ball to start the play.
- [US] Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand, which explodes noisily when thrown onto a hard surface.
- [slang] One who takes snaps; a photographer.
- [US] [informal] snapping turtle
Snapper is a fictional character from the Transformers series.
There are other characters with Snapper in their name, like Snapper Foster.
Phrases with Snapper
- Snapper Eel
- dog snapper
- hog snapper
- red snapper
- Blue Snapper
- gray snapper
- grey snapper
- King Snapper
- lane snapper
- Pale Snapper
- Pink Snapper
- Rosy Snapper
- Ruby Snapper
- Sand Snapper
- silk snapper
- Star Snapper
- Black Snapper
- Cocoa Snapper
- Pygmy Snapper
- Queen Snapper
View more phrases with the word Snapper in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Snapper
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Favorite Fish and Fishing (1908)
by James Alexander Henshall
The red snapper is the most widely known, commercially, being shipped from Pensacola and Tampa to all Northern cities. It is a large, handsome fish...
The Household Cook Book (1902)
A Complete ... Collection of New ... Recipes, Including Every Department of Domestic Cookery ... Also Containing Medical and Toilet Hints, Invalid Cookery ...
Snapper is a name applied to several different fish in the U. S. Tho red snapper is a fish found along the gulf coast of the U. S. It resembles the porgy and ...
Green Intelligence (2009)
Creating Environments That Protect Human Health by John Wargo
Yellowtail snapper is the fish most consumed by Viequense, but only six were caught and tested. None were collected from the contaminated east end sites, one was collected off of Esperanza, two were taken north of Isabel, and three were ...
Frommer's Puerto Rico (2004)
by Darwin Porter, Danforth Prince
Gtilled red snapper is a specialty, and you can order it with almost any sauce you wanr, although the chef recommends one made from olive oil, herbs, lemon, and toasred garlic. The cuisine here has both flait and flavor. Calte San iorge 609 ...
by Indiana Academy of Science
The Snapper is a vicious brute. When attacked it neither retreats nor withdraws into its shell as most species do, but shows fight at once, snapping viciously at any object held near it. It will even leap forward toward its tormentor. When its jaws ...
by Committee on the Review of Recreational Fisheries Survey Methods, Ocean Studies Board, Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council
Economic and Social Information Red snapper is the most valuable commercial reef fish fishery in the Gulf of Mexico, with dockside landings worth over $9 million in 1998. Individual fishing quotas are being considered in the directed ...
A Voyage Round the World (1880)
by Sir Francis Drake, William Dampier
The snapper is a fish made much like a roach, but a great deal bigger. It has a large head and mouth, and great gills. The back is of a bright red, the belly of a silver colour. The scales are as broad as a shilling. The snapper is excellent meat .
Dampier's voyages (1906)
consisting of a New voyage round the world, a Supplement to the Voyage round the world, Two voyages to Campeachy, a Discourse of winds, a Voyage to New Holland, and a Vindication, in answer to the Chimerical relation of William Funnell by William Dampier
The Snapper is a Fish much like a Roach, but a great deal bigger. It hath a large Head and Mouth, and great Gills. The back is of a bright red, the belly of a Silver Colour : The Scales are as broad as a Shilling. The Snapper is excellent Meat.
by Andi Marie Cantele, Mitch Kaplan
Fried rice, for example, is infused with green tea; and sweet-and-sour red snapper is an interesting takeoff from the ...
Fish on a First-Name Basis (2006)
How Fish Is Caught, Bought, Cleaned, Cooked, and Eaten by Rob DeBorde
Taking apart a whole roasted or grilled red snapper is a fairly simple matter, though keeping everything intact does take practice (and a little luck).
by OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
ROUGE MANGROVE SNAPPER (Atlantic – Europe/N.America) Also called GRAY SNAPPER (N.America).
+ RED SNAPPER + VIVANEAU CAMPÉCHE (Atlantic – N.America) (Atlantique – Ame ́rique du Nord) ...
by Colin Larkin
Peter Green Splinter Group (Red Snapper 1997), with Nigel Watson The Robert Johnson Songbook (Artisan/Snapper 1998), with the Splinter Group Soho Session ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
Aprion virescens (snapper), Balistoides conspicillum (triggerfish), Caranx ( jacks), Cephalopholis argus (seabass, grouper), Clupanodon thrissa (herring), Coris gaimardi (wrasse), Engraulis japonicus (anchovy), Epibulus insidiator ( wrasse), ...
A Comprehensive Guide to the Trackable Animals of the United States and Canada by Len McDougall
as the most widespread turtle in North America, the northern snapper is the dominant aquatic carnivore in most habitats where it lives. In size ...
The English Dialect Dictionary, Being the Complete Vocabulary of All Dialect Words Still in Use, Or Known to Have Been in Use During the Last Two Hundred Years: T-Z. Supplement. Bibliography. Grammar (1905)
by Joseph Wright
WHOPPER SNAPPER, see Whipper-snapper. WHOP STRAW, see Whapstraw. WHOR, see Or, int., Wer, What. WHORAGE, sb. Dor. Also in form horridge. A house or nest of bad characters. Barnes Poems (1863) Gl. WHORE, sb. Brks. Cor .
by Alexander Schmidt
Snapper: wit-snapper. Snare: ensnare. Snout: urchin-snouted. Snow: mountain- snow; o'ersnowed. Snuff: scent-snufflng. So: also; howsoever; insomuch; whoso. Soar: high-soaring. Sober: perpetual-sober. Sociable: insociable. Soft: flower-soft ...
by John Henry Walsh
Snapper. Drum, (two species.) Grouper. Kingfish. Sheepshead. Tailorfish, (called Blue- Sea Bass. fish in the North.) Striped Bass, (Rockfish.) fish in season in february.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Snapper
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Snapper
Click on an item to view that photo:
- HMS Snapper
Photo credit: Terry Wha
- Vermillion Snapper
Staff recommends adopting consistent state regulations for Atlantic vermilion snapper and using the process of adopting federal standards under Chapter 120.54(6), Florida Statutes. If the Commission approves the proposed rule amendment, it would be advertised and then filed without further public hearing and become effective as soon as possible.
Staff has evaluated the rules under the standards of 68-1.004, FAC, and found them to be in compliance.
Photo credit: MyFWCmedia
- Banana (Musa sp.): "Snapper"
Banana snapper in American Samoa.
Photo credit: Scot Nelson
- Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express
Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express AUD8.80
Good authentic Indonesian food in the city is becoming quite common. First there was Nelayan, then Esteller 77, and Satay Bar (now gone) and now Blok M!
A lot of their dishes at Blok M are grilled or deep fried and smothered with spicy sauces, but not so full of overpowering chilli.
Blok M Express
380 Lt Bourke St, Melbourne
Photo credit: avlxyz
- Snapper (juvenile) Pagrus auratus
Photo credit: brian.gratwicke
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Snapper
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Snapper!
Quotes about Snapper
Snapper, to stumble. Even the best of men may err.
more quotes about snapper...
Scrabble value of S1N1A1P3P3E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SNAPPER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Snapper!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Snapper to see it in context!