The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun snapper:
Definition of Snapper
What does Snapper mean?
- (football) the person who plays center on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball to the quarterback
- flesh of any of various important food fishes of warm seas
- a party favor consisting of a paper roll (usually containing candy or a small favor) that pops when pulled at both ends
- Australian food fish having a pinkish body with blue spots
- any of several large sharp-toothed marine food and sport fishes of the family Lutjanidae of mainly tropical coastal waters
- more generic terms: food fish = any fish used for food by human beings; percoid / percoid fish / percoidean = any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
- more specific terms:
- Lutjanus blackfordi / red snapper = an esteemed food fish with pinkish red head and body
- Lutjanus griseus / mangrove snapper / gray snapper / grey snapper = found in shallow waters off the coast of Florida
- Lutjanus analis / mutton snapper / muttonfish = similar to and often marketed as `red snapper'
- Lutjanus apodus / schoolmaster = food fish of warm Caribbean and Atlantic waters
- yellowtail snapper / Ocyurus chrysurus / yellowtail = superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail
- member of: family Lutjanidae / Lutjanidae = snappers
- large-headed turtle with powerful hooked jaws found in or near water; prone to bite
- Any of some 100 different species of fish.
- [US] Any of a family of percoid fishes [Lutjanidae] especially the red snapper
- [Ireland] [slang] A baby (a human baby).
- [American football] - the player who snaps the ball to start the play.
- [US] Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand, which explodes noisily when thrown onto a hard surface.
- [slang] One who takes snaps; a photographer.
- [US] [informal] snapping turtle
Phrases with Snapper
- Snapper Eel
- dog snapper
- hog snapper
- red snapper
- Blue Snapper
- gray snapper
- grey snapper
- King Snapper
- lane snapper
- Pale Snapper
- Pink Snapper
- Rosy Snapper
- Ruby Snapper
- Sand Snapper
- silk snapper
- Star Snapper
- Black Snapper
- Cocoa Snapper
- Pygmy Snapper
- Queen Snapper
View more phrases with the word Snapper in thesaurus!
"Snapper" a.k.a. "The Snapper" is a 1993 Irish television film which was directed by Stephen Frears and starred Tina Kellegher, Colm Meaney and Brendan Gleeson. The film is based on the novel by Irish writer Roddy Doyle, about the Rabbitte family and their domestic adventures.
- also known as The Snapper - Hilfe, ein Baby
- countries: United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Kingdom of Great Britain
- language: English Language
- production design by Mark Geraghty
- written by Roddy Doyle
- based on "The Snapper" by Roddy Doyle
- Colm Meaney as Dessie Curley
- Eanna MacLiam as Craig Curley
- Tina Kellegher as Sharon Curley
- Ruth McCabe as Kay Curley
- Joanne Gerrard as Lisa Curley
- Colm O'Byrne as Darren Curley
- Brendan Gleeson as Lester
- Peter Rowen as Sonny Curley
- Ciara Duffy as Kimberley Curley
- Fionnuala Murphy as Jackie O'Keefe
- Deirdre O'Brien as Mary
- Karen Woodley as Yvonne Burgess
- Pat Laffan as George Burgess
- Virginia Cole as Doris Burgess
- Denis Menton as Pat Burgess
- Ronan Wilmot as Paddy
- Stuart Dunne as Bertie
- Dylan Tighe as Boy 1
- Caroline Boyle as Girl 1
- Jennifer Kelly as Checkout Woman
- Audrey Corr as Customer
- Audrey Corr as Neighbour #3
- Stanley Townsend as Anaesthetist
- Cathy Belton as Desk Nurse
- Miriam Kelly as Doctor
- Eleanor Methven as Dr. Cook
- Birdy Sweeney as Loner
- Barbara Bergin as Midwife #1
- Billie Morton as Midwife #2
- Joan Sheehy as Woman in Hospital
- Rynagh O'Grady as Neighbor #1
- Sheila Flitton as Neighbor #2
- Cathleen Delany as Oul'one
- Ailish Connolly as Nurse
- Jack Lynch as Policeman
- Stephen Kennedy as Supermarket Trainee Manager
- Britta Smith as Woman in Police Station
- Conor Evans as Barrytown Neighbour #1
- Helen Roache as Barrytown Neighbour #2
- Marie Conmee as Barrytown Neighbour #3
- Jimmy Keogh as Barrytown Neighbour #4
- Aisling Conlan as Baby Curley #1
- Alannagh McMullen as Baby Curley #2
- Tom Murphy as Pal #1
- Robbie Doolin as Pal #2
- Matthew Devereux as Young Lad
- Matthew Devereux as Dad
- Sandy as Famine
- cinematography by Oliver Stapleton
- edited by Mick Audsley
- costume design by Consolata Boyle
- location: Ardmore Studios
- genres: Film adaptation, Indie film, Comedy-drama, Comedy of manners, Drama, Comedy
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (20 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (role: Dessie Curley) nomination for Colm Meaney
- César Award for Best Foreign Film nomination for Stephen Frears
"Snapper" is a computer game written by Jonathan Griffiths for the BBC Micro and released as one of the launch titles for Acornsoft in 1982. It was later released as one of Acornsoft's launch titles for the Acorn Electron in 1983.
- mode: Single-player video game
- genres: Arcade, Puzzle game, Strategy video game
- publisher: Acornsoft
- released in (32 years ago)
Snapper is a fictional character from the Transformers series. He should not be confused with Rippersnapper, a Decepticon with a similar name.
There are other characters with Snapper in their name, like Snapper Foster.
"Snapper": Snapper is an EP by New Zealand indie rock group Snapper, released in 1988 through Flying Nun...
Snapper was a New Zealand indie/alternative band formed by Peter Gutteridge, previously in The Clean, The Chills and The Great Unwashed.
- genres: Drone music, Noise pop
- albums: "Snapper", "A.D.M.", "Vader", "Shotgun Blossom", "Dark Sensation"
There are other groups with Snapper in their name, like Red Snapper.
Snapper a.k.a. Snapper Inc.: Snapper, Inc. is a United States company that makes residential and professional lawn care and snow removal equipment, based in McDonough, Georgia. Most known for their high-quality red "rear-engine" riding lawnmower, which comes with either their patented hi-vac cutting deck, or side discharge, and is capable of standing on end for storage, or repairs.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Snapper
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Edible Fishes and Crustaceans of New South Wales (1893)
by James Douglas Ogilby
In the condensed report of the Koyal Commission the following passages occur : — " The Snapper is the most valuable of Australian fishes, not for its superior excellence, for we have many more delicious, but for the abundant and regular ...
Artificial Reefs in Fisheries Management (2011)
by Stephen A. Bortone, Frederico Pereira Brandini, Gianna Fabi, Shinya Otake
IntroDuCtIon Red snapper is an extremely important fish species in the northern Gulf of Mexico.
Biology, Fisheries, and Culture of Tropical Groupers and Snappers (1996)
Proceedings of an EPOMEX/ICLARM International Workshop on Tropical Snappers and Groupers, Held at the University of Campeche, Campeche, Mexico, 26-29 October 1993 by Francisco Arreguín-Sánchez, J. L. Munro, M. C. Balgos, Daniel Pauly
Blackfin snappers were found at the middle shelf off South Carolina during the MARMAP survey (Fig. 1). Usual habitat for the blackfin snapper is the shelf edge or live bottom areas from 9 to 219 m (Grimes etal. 1977). This species is common ...
The Household Cook Book (1902)
A Complete ... Collection of New ... Recipes, Including Every Department of Domestic Cookery ... Also Containing Medical and Toilet Hints, Invalid Cookery ...
Snapper is a name applied to several different fish in the U. S. Tho red snapper is a fish found along the gulf coast of the U. S. It resembles the porgy and ...
Ponapean-English Dictionary (1979)
by Kenneth L. Rehg, Damian G. Sohl
red snapper, Lutjanus bohar: kihr en ...
The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (2011)
by Colin Larkin
Peter Green Splinter Group (Red Snapper 1997), with Nigel Watson The Robert Johnson Songbook (Artisan/Snapper 1998), with the Splinter Group Soho Session ...
Encyclopedia of Ecology, Five-Volume Set (2008)
– – Snapper (a) (b) Figure 8 The effects of fishing on nearshore. phosphorus in temperate lake eutrophication. To separate the effects of phosphorus and nitrate, the researchers split a lake with a curtain and fertilized one side ...
The New international encyclopaedia (1918)
by Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams
SNAPPER SNELL (Antirrhinum majus), a favorite plant with many fine varieties used for flower beds, borders, and rockeries, is the most frequently cultivated species. It is a native of Europe and bears racemes of variously colored flowers.
Encyclopedia of Rural Sports ... (18??)
by John Henry Walsh
Snapper. Drum, (two species.) Grouper. Kingfish. Sheepshead. Tailorfish, (called Blue- Sea Bass. fish in the North.) Striped Bass, (Rockfish.) fish in season in february.
Shakespeare Lexicon and Quotation Dictionary (2012)
by Alexander Schmidt
Snapper: witsnapper. Snare: ...
The Encyclopedia of Tracks and Scats (2004)
A Comprehensive Guide to the Trackable Animals of the United States and Canada by Len McDougall
as the most widespread turtle in North America, the northern snapper is the dominant aquatic carnivore in most habitats where it lives. In size ...
The world-wide encyclopedia and gazetteer (1908)
by William Harrison De Puy
SNAPPER, a common name for the voracious carnivorous fishes of the tsxsuXjLutgamdte. There are several species in the United States. Among them may be mentioned the red-snapper (Lutga- nus vivanus), of the Gulf states. This is a large, ...
A Complete Dictionary of All the English Words, Phrases and Constructions in the Works of the Poet by Alexander Schmidt
Snapper: wit-snapper. Snare: ensnare. Snout: urchin-snouted. Snow: mountain- snow; o'ersnowed. Snuff: scent-snuffing. So: also; howsoever; insomuch; whoso. Soar: high-soaring. Sober: perpetual-sober. Sociable: insociable. Soft: flower-soft ...
Stokes' Encyclopedia of Familiar Quotations (1906)
Containing Five Thousand Selections from Six Hundred Authors; with a Complete General Index and an Index of Authors
Slap-dash into the water; And the snakes committed suicide To save themselves from slaughter, Henry Bennett, St, Patrich Was a Gentleman Snapper -up, — A snapper-up of unconsidered trifles, Shakespeare, Winter's Tale, iv, 3  Sneer, ...
Encyclopedia of Television Film Directors (2009)
by Jerry Roberts
The Snapper aired on the BBC and then was released theatrically in America by Miramax Films.
Yir-Yoront Lexicon (1991)
Sketch and Dictionary of an Australian Language by Barry Alpher
'red snapper' (but L. gibbus is poisonous). Also identified as red emperor, (king snapper, Lutjanus sebae), and as L. malabaricus; also with large salt-water bream, also as 'grunter' . PURR-PO- PAR ...
The Encyclopedia of Old Fishing Lures (2011)
Made in North America by Robert A. Slade
They manufactured it in the same way and sizes, but changed the lure name to the WEEDLESS SILVER SNAPPER. They also sold the lure in a clear hinged plastic box with ID papers that said pretty much the same thing except for the change ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Snapper
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Snapper
Snapper with capers, tomato and some fancy sauce stuff
Photo credit: evilhayama
- HMS Snapper
Photo credit: Terry Wha
- Vermillion Snapper
Staff recommends adopting consistent state regulations for Atlantic vermilion snapper and using the process of adopting federal standards under Chapter 120.54(6), Florida Statutes. If the Commission approves the proposed rule amendment, it would be advertised and then filed without further public hearing and become effective as soon as possible.
Staff has evaluated the rules under the standards of 68-1.004, FAC, and found them to be in compliance.
Photo credit: MyFWCmedia
- Fresh Fried Snapper Almondine
Jenny liked her fried snapper almondine at The Bright Star for...
Photo credit: ralph and jenny
- Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express
Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express AUD8.80
Good authentic Indonesian food in the city is becoming quite common. First there was Nelayan, then Esteller 77, and Satay Bar (now gone) and now Blok M!
A lot of their dishes at Blok M are grilled or deep fried and smothered with spicy sauces, but not so full of overpowering chilli.
Blok M Express
380 Lt Bourke St, Melbourne
Photo credit: avlxyz
- Snapper (juvenile) Pagrus auratus
Photo credit: brian.gratwicke
- SNAPPER & STINGRAY
Bain News Service,, publisher.
SNAPPER & STINGRAY
[between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915]
1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.
Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards.
Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).
Format: Glass negatives.
View more pictures about Red Snapper, Grey Snapper, lane snapper, and Schoolmaster Snapper.
Video language resources about Snapper
Click on an item to play that video:
- Snapper RER explanation for Feerlessfront
Ill dig it out later and show you it running.
- Operation Tumbler Snapper (1952)
Courtesy National Nuclear Security Administration / Nevada Site Office 0800011 - Operation Tumbler/Snapper - 1952 - 47:00 - Nevada, Color, Sanitized - Operat...
- The biggest school of snapper ive seen in whyalla
- Maximising fish survival - Snapper
Using a release weight - underwater video Studies carried out by NSW DPI have demonstrated that Snapper are very resilient to the effects of barotrauma when ...
- Lauren Mitchell & Paul Miller Catching Mississippi Red Snapper
Fishing off the Gulf Coast of Mississippi for Red Snapper.
- How to clean a Red Snapper by Captain Vincent Russo
- How to fillet a snapper
Bullsaki takes us through step by step as he fillets a 7 pound snapper.
See also the pronunciation examples of Snapper!
Scrabble value of S1N1A1P3P3E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SNAPPER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Snapper!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Snapper to see it in context!