The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun snapper:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun snapper
What does snapper mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: snappers / snapper (fish) / snappers (fish)
- (American football) the person who plays center on the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball to the quarterback
- flesh of any of various important food fishes of warm seas
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- more generic term: saltwater fish = flesh of fish from the sea used as food
- more specific term: red snapper = highly esteemed reddish lean flesh of snapper from Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico
- part of: Chrysophrys auratus = Australian food fish having a pinkish body with blue spots
- a party favor consisting of a paper roll (usually containing candy or a small favor) that pops when pulled at both ends
- Australian food fish having a pinkish body with blue spots
- any of several large sharp-toothed marine food and sport fishes of the family Lutjanidae of mainly tropical coastal waters
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: food fish = any fish used for food by human beings; percoid / percoid fish / percoidean = any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
- more specific terms:
- Lutjanus blackfordi / red snapper = an esteemed food fish with pinkish red head and body
- Lutjanus griseus / mangrove snapper / gray snapper / grey snapper = found in shallow waters off the coast of Florida
- Lutjanus analis / mutton snapper / muttonfish = similar to and often marketed as `red snapper'
- Lutjanus apodus / schoolmaster = food fish of warm Caribbean and Atlantic waters
- yellowtail snapper / Ocyurus chrysurus / yellowtail = superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail
- member of: family Lutjanidae / Lutjanidae = snappers
- large-headed turtle with powerful hooked jaws found in or near water; prone to bite
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Devisia mythodes / species Devisia mythodes / Emysaura serpentina / species Emysaura serpentina / Testudo serpentaria / species Testudo serpentaria / Testudo serpentina / species Testudo serpentina / Chelydra serpentina
- synonym of snapper: common snapping turtle
- more generic term: snapping turtle = large aggressive freshwater turtle with powerful jaws
- member of: Chelydra / genus Chelydra = snapping turtles
- geographic area: Middle America, North America, Oceania, South America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun snapper
- Any of some 100 different species of fish.
- [US] Any of a family of percoid fishes [Lutjanidae] especially the red snapper
- [Ireland] [slang] A baby (a human baby).
- [American football] - the player who snaps the ball to start the play.
- [US] Small, paper-wrapped item containing a minute quantity of explosive composition coated on small bits of sand, which explodes noisily when thrown onto a hard surface.
- [slang] One who takes snaps; a photographer.
- [US] [informal] snapping turtle
Phrases with Snapper
- Snapper Eel
- dog snapper
- hog snapper
- red snapper
- Blue Snapper
- gray snapper
- grey snapper
- King Snapper
- lane snapper
- Pale Snapper
- Pink Snapper
- Rosy Snapper
- Ruby Snapper
- Sand Snapper
- silk snapper
- Star Snapper
- Black Snapper
- Cocoa Snapper
- Pygmy Snapper
- Queen Snapper
View more phrases with the word Snapper in thesaurus!
Snapper was the New Zealand performance indie/alternative band of the late Peter Gutteridge, previously in The Clean, The Chills and The Great Unwashed.
- genres: Noise pop, Drone music
- albums: "Snapper", "A.D.M.", "Vader", "Shotgun Blossom", "Dark Sensation"
There are other groups with Snapper in their name, like Red Snapper.
Snapper a.k.a. Snapper Inc.: Snapper, Inc. is a United States company, formerly based in McDonough, Georgia, that manufactures residential and professional lawn-care and snow-removal equipment. Snapper is known for its high-quality red "rear-engine" riding lawnmowers that are capable of standing on-end for storage or repairs, and for its claim to have invented the first self-propelled rotary lawn mower.
Snapper is a fictional character from the Transformers series.
There are other characters with Snapper in their name, like Snapper Foster.
"Snapper" a.k.a. "The Snapper" is a 1993 Irish television film which was directed by Stephen Frears and starred Tina Kellegher, Colm Meaney and Brendan Gleeson. The film is based on the novel by Irish writer Roddy Doyle, about the Rabbitte family and their domestic adventures.
- also known as The Snapper - Hilfe, ein Baby
- begun on (21 years ago)
- countries: United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland
- language: English Language
- production design by Mark Geraghty
- written by Roddy Doyle
- based on "The Snapper" by Roddy Doyle
- Colm Meaney as Dessie Curley
- Eanna MacLiam as Craig Curley
- Tina Kellegher as Sharon Curley
- Ruth McCabe as Kay Curley
- Joanne Gerrard as Lisa Curley
- Colm O'Byrne as Darren Curley
- Brendan Gleeson as Lester
- Peter Rowen as Sonny Curley
- Ciara Duffy as Kimberley Curley
- Fionnuala Murphy as Jackie O'Keefe
- Deirdre O'Brien as Mary
- Karen Woodley as Yvonne Burgess
- Pat Laffan as George Burgess
- Virginia Cole as Doris Burgess
- Denis Menton as Pat Burgess
- Ronan Wilmot as Paddy
- Stuart Dunne as Bertie
- Dylan Tighe as Boy 1
- Caroline Boyle as Girl 1
- Jennifer Kelly as Checkout Woman
- Audrey Corr as Customer
- Audrey Corr as Neighbour #3
- Stanley Townsend as Anaesthetist
- Cathy Belton as Desk Nurse
- Miriam Kelly as Doctor
- Eleanor Methven as Dr. Cook
- Birdy Sweeney as Loner
- Barbara Bergin as Midwife #1
- Billie Morton as Midwife #2
- Joan Sheehy as Woman in Hospital
- Rynagh O'Grady as Neighbor #1
- Sheila Flitton as Neighbor #2
- Cathleen Delany as Oul'one
- Ailish Connolly as Nurse
- Jack Lynch as Policeman
- Stephen Kennedy as Supermarket Trainee Manager
- Britta Smith as Woman in Police Station
- Conor Evans as Barrytown Neighbour #1
- Helen Roache as Barrytown Neighbour #2
- Marie Conmee as Barrytown Neighbour #3
- Jimmy Keogh as Barrytown Neighbour #4
- Aisling Conlan as Baby Curley #1
- Alannagh McMullen as Baby Curley #2
- Tom Murphy as Pal #1
- Robbie Doolin as Pal #2
- Matthew Devereux as Young Lad
- Matthew Devereux as Dad
- Sandy as Famine
- cinematography by Oliver Stapleton
- edited by Mick Audsley
- costume design by Consolata Boyle
- location: Ardmore Studios
- genres: Film adaptation, Indie film, Comedy of manners, Comedy-drama, Comedy, Drama
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (21 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy (role: Dessie Curley) nomination for Colm Meaney
- César Award for Best Foreign Film nomination for Stephen Frears
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Editing - Fiction nomination for Mick Audsley
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Sound - Fiction nomination for Peter Joly, Kieran Horgan, Mick Boggis, Dan Gane, Peter Maxwell
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Editing - Fiction, received by Mick Audsley
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Sound - Fiction, received by Dan Gane, Peter Joly, Mick Boggis, Peter Maxwell, Kieran Horgan
"Snapper" is a computer game written by Jonathan Griffiths for the BBC Micro and released as one of the launch titles for Acornsoft in 1982. It was later released as one of Acornsoft's launch titles for the Acorn Electron in 1983.
- mode: Single-player video game
- genres: Puzzle game, Strategy video game, Arcade game
- publisher: Acornsoft
- released in (32 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Snapper
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by James Douglas Ogilby
In the condensed report of the Koyal Commission the following passages occur : — " The Snapper is the most valuable of Australian fishes, not for its superior excellence, for we have many more delicious, but for the abundant and regular ...
by Stephen A. Bortone, Frederico Pereira Brandini, Gianna Fabi, Shinya Otake
INtrODUCtION Red snapper is an extremely important fish species in the northern Gulf of Mexico.
by William S. Alevizon
The yellowtail snapper is a curious fish, and will frequently follow divers. Sharks are not everyday sights on most Caribbean reefs [Figure 6-4]. Most are shy and will quickly leave an area upon noting the presence of divers. The most common ...
A New Voyage Round the World (1699)
by William Dampier
The Snapper is a Fish much like a Roach, but a great deal bigger. It hath a large Head and Mouth, and great Gills. The back is of a bright red, the belly of a Silver Colour : The Scales are as broad as a Shilling. The Snapper is excellent Meat.
by OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
ROUGE MANGROVE SNAPPER (Atlantic – Europe/N.America) Also called GRAY SNAPPER (N.America).
+ RED SNAPPER + VIVANEAU CAMPÉCHE (Atlantic – N.America) (Atlantique – Ame ́rique du Nord) ...
by Colin Larkin
Peter Green Splinter Group (Red Snapper 1997), with Nigel Watson The Robert Johnson Songbook (Artisan/Snapper 1998), with the Splinter Group Soho Session ...
– – Snapper (a) (b) Figure 8 The effects of fishing on nearshore. phosphorus in temperate lake eutrophication. To separate the effects of phosphorus and nitrate, the researchers split a lake with a curtain and fertilized one side ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
Aprion virescens (snapper), Balistaidesconspicillum(mggetfis\>), Caranx (jacks). Cephalopholis argus (seabass, grouper). Clupanodon thrissa (herring). Coris gaimardi (wrasse), Engraulis japonicus (anchovy), Epibulus insidiator (wrasse), ...
A Comprehensive Guide to the Trackable Animals of the United States and Canada by Len McDougall
as the most widespread turtle in North America, the northern snapper is the dominant aquatic carnivore in most habitats where it lives. In size ...
by Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams
SNAPPER SNELL (Antirrhinum majus), a favorite plant with many fine varieties used for flower beds, borders, and rockeries, is the most frequently cultivated species. It is a native of Europe and bears racemes of variously colored flowers.
by Alexander Schmidt
Snapper: wit-snapper. Snare: ensnare. Snout: urchin-snouted. Snow: mountain- snow; o'ersnowed. Snuff: scent-snufflng. So: also; howsoever; insomuch; whoso. Soar: high-soaring. Sober: perpetual-sober. Sociable: insociable. Soft: flower-soft ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Snapper
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Snapper
Click on an item to view that photo:
- HMS Snapper
Photo credit: Terry Wha
- Vermillion Snapper
Staff recommends adopting consistent state regulations for Atlantic vermilion snapper and using the process of adopting federal standards under Chapter 120.54(6), Florida Statutes. If the Commission approves the proposed rule amendment, it would be advertised and then filed without further public hearing and become effective as soon as possible.
Staff has evaluated the rules under the standards of 68-1.004, FAC, and found them to be in compliance.
Photo credit: MyFWCmedia
- SNAPPER & STINGRAY
Bain News Service,, publisher.
SNAPPER & STINGRAY
[between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915]
1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.
Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards.
Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).
Format: Glass negatives.
- Fresh Fried Snapper Almondine
Jenny liked her fried snapper almondine at The Bright Star for...
Photo credit: ralph and jenny
- Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express
Ikan Bakar (Grilled Snapper) - Blok M Express AUD8.80
Good authentic Indonesian food in the city is becoming quite common. First there was Nelayan, then Esteller 77, and Satay Bar (now gone) and now Blok M!
A lot of their dishes at Blok M are grilled or deep fried and smothered with spicy sauces, but not so full of overpowering chilli.
Blok M Express
380 Lt Bourke St, Melbourne
Photo credit: avlxyz
- Banana (Musa sp.): "Snapper"
Banana snapper in American Samoa.
Photo credit: Scot Nelson
- Snapper (juvenile) Pagrus auratus
Photo credit: brian.gratwicke
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Snapper
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Snapper!
Quotes about Snapper
Snapper, to stumble. Even the best of men may err.
more quotes about snapper...
Scrabble value of S1N1A1P3P3E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SNAPPER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Snapper!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Snapper to see it in context!