On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun social group
What does social group mean as a name of something?
- people sharing some social relation
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic words: group / grouping = any number of entities (members) considered as a unit
- more specific terms:
- body = a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity
- society = an extended social group having a distinctive cultural and economic organization
- minority = a group of people who differ racially or politically from a larger group of which it is a part
- sector = a social group that forms part of the society or the economy
- interest group / interest = a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims
- kinship group / kin group / kindred / tribe / clan / kin = group of people related by blood or marriage
- kith = your friends and acquaintances
- fringe = a social group holding marginal or extreme views
- assemblage / gathering = a group of persons together in one place
- congregation / faithful = a group of people who adhere to a common faith and habitually attend a given church
- organisation / organization = a group of people who work together
- phylum = a large group of languages that are historically related
- force = a group of people having the power of effective action
- platoon = a group of persons who are engaged in a common activity
- revolving door = an organization or institution with a high rate of turnover of personnel or membership
- circle / band / lot / set = an unofficial association of people or groups
- organized crime / gangland / gangdom = underworld organizations
- subculture = a social group within a national culture that has distinctive patterns of behavior and beliefs
- nonalignment / nonalinement = people (or countries) who are not aligned with other people (or countries) in a pact or treaty
- form of government / political system = the members of a social organization who are in power
- moiety = one of two basic subdivisions of a tribe
- tribe / folk = a social division of (usually preliterate) people
- social movement / movement / front = a group of people with a common ideology who try together to achieve certain general goals
- Jewry = Jews collectively
- wing = a group within a political party or legislature or other organization that holds distinct views or has a particular function
Alternative definition of the noun social group
- A collection of humans or animals, who share certain characteristics, interact with one another, accept expectations and obligations as members of the group, and share a common identity.
Social group: In the social sciences, a social group has been defined as two or more people who interact with one another, share similar characteristics and collectively have a sense of unity. Other theorists, however, are wary of definitions which stress the importance of interdependence or objective similarity. Instead, for researchers in the social identity tradition "a group is defined in terms of those who identify themselves as members of the group". Regardless, social groups come in a myriad of sizes and varieties. For example, a society can be viewed as a large social group.
- also known as 社會群體
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Social group
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John M Levine, Michael A. Hogg
social mobility is a change in self-definition when an individual moves into a new group, social change applies to a transformation of social identity for an entire social group. Social change is the process by which people actively seek positive ...
by John M. Herrick, Paul H. Stuart
The settlement house heritage stamped social group work with its mission of community-based practice activity focused on meeting needs related to people's life issues and environmental conditions, inherently charged with concepts of ...
by Kevin Kirkland
Generally, those who do not define themselves in terms of ethnicity are in a dominant social group. However, even those belonging to the dominant culture have an ethnic identity. Ethnic identity may be heightened owing to migration or ...
by M. L. Mathur
Sorokin points out, there has not been and does not exist, any permanent social group which is flat and in which all members are equal. The traditional Hindu caste system which puts Brahmins at the top and untouchables at the bottom ...
by Neil J. Salkind
Social Identity Theory Social identity theory examines how people identify with a social group and how social identity leads to group phenomena such as conformity, cohesiveness, and intergroup discrimination. Social identity theory is based ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Social group
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Social group
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Social group
Social group Meaning
Video shows what social group means. A collection of humans or animals, who share certain characteristics, interact with one another, accept expectations and ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Social group!
Quotes about Social group
Anagrams of SOCIAL GROUP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Social group!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Social group to see it in context!