The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun social reformer:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun social reformer
What does social reformer mean as a name of something?
- a disputant who advocates reform
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of social reformer: crusader / meliorist / reformer / reformist
- more generic words: controversialist / disputant / eristic = a person who disputes
- more specific terms:
- emancipationist / abolitionist = a reformer who favors abolishing slavery
- birth-control campaigner / birth-control reformer = a social reformer who advocates birth control and family planning
- Chartist = a 19th century English reformer who advocated better social and economic conditions for working people
- civil rights activist / civil rights leader / civil rights worker = a leader of the political movement dedicated to securing equal opportunity for members of minority groups
- demonstrator / protester = someone who participates in a public display of group feeling
- prohibitionist / dry = a reformer who opposes the use of intoxicating beverages
- environmentalist / conservationist = someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution
- women's liberationist / women's rightist / feminist / libber = a supporter of feminism
- flower child / hipster / hippie / hippy = someone who rejects the established culture
- freedom fighter / insurrectionist / insurgent / rebel = a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority
- activist / militant = a militant reformer
- passive resister / non-resistant = a reformer who believes in passive resistance
- preservationist = someone who advocates the preservation of historical sites or endangered species or natural areas
- Utopian = an idealistic (but usually impractical) social reformer
- Anthony Comstock / Comstock = United States reformer who led moral crusades against art and literature that he considered obscene
- Dorothea Lynde Dix / Dorothea Dix / Dix = United States social reformer who pioneered in the reform of prisons and in the treatment of the mentally ill
- John Huss / Jan Hus / Huss / Hus = Czechoslovakian religious reformer who anticipated the Reformation; he questioned the infallibility of the Catholic Church was excommunicated (1409) for attacking the corruption of the clergy
- Robert Owen / Owen = Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities
- Girolamo Savonarola / Savonarola = Italian religious and political reformer; a Dominican friar in Florence who preached against sin and corruption and gained a large following
- Francis Everett Townsend / Townsend = United States social reformer who proposed an old-age pension sponsored by the federal government
- John Wilkes / Wilkes = English reformer who published attacks on George III and supported the rights of the American colonists
Social Reformer is a profession.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Social Reformer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sanjay Paswan, Pramanshi Jaideva
Three great Maharashtrian leaders of thought, Lokahitavadi Gopalrao Deshmukh , the protesting social reformer, M.G. Ranade, the non-violent social reformer, and Veer Savarkar, the radical social reformer, recognised the greatness of ...
by Tony Fitzpatrick, Huck-ju Kwon, Nick Manning, James Midgley, Gillian Pascall
1858–1932 Social reformer and campaigner Julia Lathrop was a leading social reformer, social administrator and advocate of ...
An Encyclopedia of Political, Social, and Cultural Change by James Ciment, John Radzilowski
The noted social reformer Jacob Riis wrote in How the Other Half Lives that on ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Social Reformer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Social Reformer
Click on an item to view that photo:
Octavia Hill (Social Reformer)
Photo credit: LoopZilla
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Social Reformer to see it in context!