|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun solitude
What does solitude mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: solitudes
- a state of social isolation
- the state or situation of being alone
- a solitary place
Alternative definition of the noun solitude
- Aloneness; state of being alone or solitary, by oneself.
- synonym: aloneness
- A lonely or deserted place.
Solitude is a football stadium in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It is the oldest football stadium in Ireland, and the home ground of Ireland's oldest football club, Cliftonville.
- also known as Solitude, Belfast
- part of Belfast
There are other places with Solitude in their name, like Castle Solitude.
- Solitude a.k.a. Solitude Aeturnus is an American epic doom metal band that was started in spring 1987 as Solitude, in Arlington, Texas. Their vocalist, Robert Lowe, was also the singer for the influential doom metal band Candlemass between 2007 and 2012. Former bassist Lyle Steadham is now guitarist and lead vocalist for the horrorpunk/psychobilly band Ghoultown.
- also known as Solitude Aerturnus
- genres: Doom metal, Progressive metal, Heavy metal, Alternative metal
- albums: "Into the Depths of Sorrow", "Beyond the Crimson Horizon", "Through the Darkest Hour", "Downfall", "Adagio", "Hour of Despair", "Alone", "In Times of Solitude", "The New Wave of American True Metal"
- official website: www.eternalsolitude.com
- Solitude is a metalcore band hailing from Värnamo, Sweden. Formed in 2006 by Dennis Warelius, William Turner and Patrik Larsson. The band has released two EPs and one full-length album, all of them were recorded in Fredrik Nordströms legendary Studio Fredman, produced by well-known heavy metal producer Henrik Udd, who has worked with previous bands such as Dark Tranquility, The Haunted, Dimmu Borgir, Bring Me The Horizon etc. Their latest EP was named A World Inside My Mind and was released in October, 2013.
"Solitude" a.k.a. "Lonesome" is a 1928 film directed by Paul Fejös.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Paul Fejos
- producers: Oskar Schubert-Stevens, Carl Laemmle, Jr., Carl Laemmle
- art direction by Charles D. Hall
- written by Edward T. Lowe, Jr. & Tom Reed
- based on a story by Mann Page
- Barbara Kent as Mary
- Glenn Tryon as Jim
- Fay Holderness as Overdressed Woman
- Gusztáv Pártos as Romantic Gentleman
- Eddie Phillips as Sportive Gentleman
- Andy Devine as Jim's Friend
- Edgar Dearing as Cop
- Louise Emmons as Telephone Caller #1
- Fred Esmelton as Swami
- Jack Raymond as Barker
- Churchill Ross as Telephone Caller #2
- cinematography by Gilbert Warrenton
- edited by Frank Atkinson
- genres: Romance Film, Silent film, Comedy, Drama
- released on (86 years ago)
- Solitude is a state of seclusion or isolation, i.e., lack of contact with people. It may stem from bad relationships, loss of loved ones, deliberate choice, infectious disease, mental disorders, neurological disorders or circumstances of employment or situation.
- Solitude: تنهایی شعری است از الا ویلر ویلکاکس، نویسنده و شاعر آمریکایی سده بیستم. این شعر بیشتر به خاطر بیت «بخند تا دنیا به رویت بخندد؛ بگری، و تنها خواهی گریست» در ادبیات آمریکا معروف است.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Solitude
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Including Phrases, Mottoes, Maxims, Proverbs, Definitions, Aphorisms, and Sayings of the Wise Men, in Their Bearing on Life, Literature, Speculation, Science, Art, Religion, and Morals, Especially in the Modern Aspects of Them, by Rev. James Wood
Solitude is a good school, but the world is the best theatre ; the institution is best there, but the practice here ; the wilderness hath the advantage of...
by Robert Inchausti
True solitude is a participation in the solitariness of God — Who is in all things.
For us solitude means withdrawal from an artificial and fictional level of being which men, divided by original sin, have fabricated in order to keep peace with ...
In Plain Sight (2013)
Searching for a More Excellent Way by R Curtis Royal, Dr, PhD
Solitude is a place for desire. Most of us are very good at sitting with longing and desire—our own or someone else's. It feels tender; It feels vulnerable; it feels out of control; it is a place where one human being cannot fix or fill another, nor can ...
Solitude is a grand word, signifying richness and depth of individual thought which leads into the supersensible realm of...
Solitude is the door which is forever closed upon material sense, but opened wide to those mental channels through ...
by Arthur Schopenhauer
If it were not for these two reasons, a man would probably elect to remain alone; if only because solitude is the sole...
Accordingly it cannot be said that the love of solitude is an original characteristic of human nature; it is rather the result of ...
Comprising the Most Excellent and Appropriate Passages in the Old British Poets; with Choice and Copious Selections from the Best Modern British and American Poets by Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, John F. Addington
containing the most admirable passages from Milton, Pope, Shakespeare, Young ... ; to which are added extracts from a sublime poem entitled 'The pleasures of friendship' ; the whole alphabetically arranged
SOLITUDE. From the centre ...
by Paul Varner
SOLITUDE: CHAPTER 5 OF WALDEN • 385 monwealth, questions were being raised concerning how monarchy was to rule and be accepted by the people. Rousseau with The Social Contract at least produced an intellectual atmosphere in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Solitude
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Solitude
Click on an item to view that photo:
This is no open-air sand quarry.
Photo credit: Esprit de sel
Taken at the House of the Master.
Photo credit: Bassi Baba
Valaam Monastery. In the skete of Saint Prophet Elias.
Photo credit: И. Максим
Photo credit: jumpinjimmyjava
Photo credit: JanetR3
This boy is all alone in the middle of a road looking at a bright spot from the outside of it.
Photo credit: Challot
Photo credit: murielle29
Photo credit: CallMeWhatEver
Photo credit: James Jordan
A lonely wildebeest grazing in the African pastures as the thunderstorm approaches
Photo credit: Wajahat Mahmood
- Niagara Falls Peaceful Solitude
While 12 million people visit Niagara Falls each year, nearly all visit during the summer months. This is a shame. In the coldest months of winter the mist from the falls transform the parks surrounding the falls into beautiful wonderland of ice and snow. The few hardy souls willing to brave the harsh elements are rewarded with this marvelous view and joyful solitude.
Best viewed large
Photo credit: ***Bud***
- Down by the Sea, Solitude
Photo credit: geezaweezer
- Fortress of Solitude
Lovely, but the heating bills are outrageous!
Photo credit: laszlo-photo
- Ma Solitude
Photo credit: Giacomo Carena
- Solitude at the horizon
Photo credit: shivvir
- La solitude
Photo credit: murielle29
- Solitude !
Photo credit: CJS*64
- Urban solitude II
Photo credit: Gianni Dominici
- Solitude of the fells
Another image taken in the hills high above Ullswater, in the lake district.
Photo credit: MacBeales
- Ma Solitude!
Photo credit: [JO]² - Immortal Lens -( Youssef Hanna )
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Solitude
Geralyn Russell shares her definition of Solitude
Geralyn Russell, yoga & meditation instructor, of Solitude Retreats shares some of her wisdom and thoughts about what solitude is and how it can change your ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Solitude!
Quotes about Solitude
Scrabble value of S1O1L1I1T1U1D2E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SOLITUDE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Solitude!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Solitude to see it in context!