On this page:
Definition of the noun somatic cell
What does somatic cell mean as a name of something?
- any of the cells of a plant or animal except the reproductive cells; a cell that does not participate in the production of gametes
- example: somatic cells are produced from preexisting cells
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonym of somatic cell: vegetative cell
- more generic word: cell = the basic structural and functional unit of all organisms
- more specific terms:
- skin cell = any of the cells making up the skin
- epithelial cell = one of the closely packed cells forming the epithelium
- neoplastic cell = a cell that is part of tumor
- bone cell = a cell that is part of a bone
- blood corpuscle / blood cell / corpuscle = either of two types of cells (erythrocytes and leukocytes) and sometimes including platelets
- scavenger cell / phagocyte = a cell that engulfs and digests debris and invading microorganisms
- visual cell = one of the cells of the retina that is sensitive to light
- adipose cell / fat cell = cells composed of fat
- muscle fiber / muscle fibre / muscle cell = an elongated contractile cell that forms the muscles of the body
- Schwann cell = any cell that covers the nerve fibers in the peripheral nervous system and forms the myelin sheath
- nerve cell / neuron = a cell that is specialized to conduct nerve impulses
- neuroglial cell / neurogliacyte / glial cell = a cell of the neuroglia
- hybridoma = a hybrid cell resulting from the fusion of a lymphocyte and a tumor cell
- labrocyte / mast cell / mastocyte = a large connective tissue cell that contains histamine and heparin and serotonin which are released in allergic reactions or in response to injury or inflammation
- stem cell = an undifferentiated cell whose daughter cells may differentiate into other cell types
- target cell = any cell that has a specific receptor for an antigen or antibody or hormone or drug, or is the focus of contact by a virus or phagocyte or nerve fiber etc.
Somatic cell: A somatic cell is any biological cell forming the body of an organism; that is, in a multicellular organism, any cell other than a gamete, germ cell, gametocyte or undifferentiated stem cell.
- also known as 体细胞
Phrases with Somatic cell
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Somatic cell
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Genetics (2006)
by Robert C. King, William D. Stansfield, Pamela Khipple Mulligan
somatic cell genetics the genetic study of asexu- ally reproducing body cells, utilizing cell fusion techniques, somatic assortment, and somatic crossing over. See Appendix C, 1964, Littlefield; 1965, ...
by Gurbachan Miglani
somatic cell genetics: Asexual genetics ...
by Guenter Kahl
Somatic genetherapy (somatic cell genetic engineering) Somatic gene therapy (somatic cell genetic engineering): The use of → recombinant DNA technology to introduce new, foreign, or modified genes into the genome(s) of somatic ...
by Sunil Patel
Solution Solvent Somatic cell Southern blotting technique SP Spacer Spadix SPAR Spathe Spatial variability. Soluble protein Solute Somatic diversification theory Somatic gene therapy Somatic hypermutation Somatic migration See globular ...
A Dictionary of Biomedicine (2010)
by John Lackie
somatic cell 530 family 1 (SLCI) is of high-affinity glutamate and neutral amino acid transporters, SLC28 family is of sodium-coupled nucleoside transporters, SLC47 is involved in multidrug and toxin extrusion. The SLC superfamily does not ...
by Julius M. Cruse, Robert E. Lewis
somatic hybrid selection Selection of somatic cell hybrids with required characteristics by complementation. somatic hypermutation ...
Somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) is a technique that allows the production of cloned animals. With this technique, the nucleus of a donor cell, containing an animal's genetic material, is introduced into an enucleated oocyte called the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Somatic cell
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Somatic cell
Somatic cell Meaning
Video shows what somatic cell means. Any normal cell of an organism that is not involved in reproduction; a cell that is not on the germline.. Somatic cell ...
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Somatic cell to see it in context!