The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun spark:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb spark:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun spark
- Definition of the verb spark
- Phrases with Spark
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spark
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spark
- Photos about Spark
- Video language resources about Spark
- Quotes about Spark
- Scrabble value of S1P3A1R1K5
- Anagrams of SPARK
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun spark
What does spark mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sparks
- a momentary flash of light
- merriment expressed by a brightness or gleam or animation of countenance
- electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field
- lexical domain: Natural Phenomena - nouns denoting natural phenomena
- synonyms of spark: arc / discharge / electric arc / electric discharge
- more generic term: electrical conduction = the passage of electricity through a conductor
- more specific terms:
- brush discharge = discharge between electrodes creating visible streamers of ionized particles
- Saint Elmo's light / Saint Ulmo's light / Saint Elmo's fire / Saint Ulmo's fire / corona discharge / St. Elmo's fire / electric glow / corposant / corona = an electrical discharge accompanied by ionization of surrounding atmosphere
- flashover = an unintended electric discharge
- a small but noticeable trace of some quality that might become stronger
- a small fragment of a burning substance thrown out by burning material or by friction
Alternative definition of the noun spark
- A small particle of glowing matter, either molten or on fire.
- A short or small burst of electrical discharge.
- [figuratively] A small amount of something, such as an idea, that has the potential to become something greater, just as a spark can start a fire.
- (in plural 'sparks' but treated as a singular) A ship's radio operator.
- [UK, slang] An electrician.
- A gallant, a foppish young man
- A beau, lover
Definition of the verb spark
What does spark mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sparked | sparking | sparks
- put in motion or move to act
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Theme 1 - abstract] [Verb] [Theme 2] Racial inequality engenders conflict [Theme 1 - abstract] [Verb] [Theme 2] [Predicate, that-complement clause] The bug causes the chip to give wrong answers for some mathematical calculations
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of spark: activate / actuate / set off / spark off / touch off / trigger / trigger off / trip
- more generic words: initiate / pioneer = take the lead or initiative in
- cause: come about / fall out / go on / hap / happen / occur / pass / pass off / take place
- emit or produce sparks
Alternative definition of the verb spark
- [transitive] To trigger, kindle into activity (an argument, etc).
- [intransitive] To give off a spark or sparks.
- To woo, court
- Spark a.k.a. Lexa Doig is a Canadian TV and movie actress. She portrayed the title role in the 2000 - 2005 Canadian-American science fiction-adventure television series Andromeda. She also portrayed the female lead role of Rowan in the science fiction-horror movie Jason X, the 10th installment of the Friday the 13th film series.
- read more about Lexa Doig (actress)
- Spark is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Spark (actor)
Phrases with Spark
Phrases starting with the word Spark:
- Spark Up
- spark gap
- spark off
- spark coil
- spark plug
- spark knock
- spark lever
- Spark spread
- spark advance
- spark chamber
- spark counter
- Spark testing
- spark arrester
- spark transmitter
Phrases ending with the word Spark:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spark
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Reaching the Endgame (2014)
by R W Docherty
The happy spark is the main ingredient in any successful, loving relationship. Therefore, following proper...
by San Murugesan, Irena Bojanova
Spark is an open‐source computing environment. The University of California, Berkeley implemented it in Scala.
by D K Hensley, N L Jones, R C Juras, M J Meigs, S W Mosko
A tank spark is the deep rumble. You dump a lot of stored energy all at once into the gas. With the column...
Scala for Machine Learning (2015)
by Patrick R. Nicolas
Apache Spark is a fast and general-purpose cluster computing system, initially developed as AMPLab/UC Berkeley as part of the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack (BDAS) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Berkeley). It provides high-level APIs for ...
Handbook of Big Data (2016)
by Peter Bühlmann, Petros Drineas, Michael Kane, Mark van der Laan
Spark is a general distributed execution engine that allows for keeping data in memory, greatly improving performance. Spark can use HDFS as a distributed storage mechanism. It provides many more data operations than MapReduce, but ...
by Michael Gardiner
Arguably the most important Scottish novelist since Walter Scott and Robert Louis Stevenson, Muriel Spark is a writer of unsurpassed range and richness. As a biographer, critic, editor, playwright, poet, short story writer and chiefly a novelist, ...
Machine Learning with Spark (2015)
by Nick Pentreath
Spark. Apache Spark is a framework for distributed computing; this framework aims to make it simpler to write programs that run in parallel across many nodes in a cluster of computers. It tries to abstract the tasks of resource scheduling, ...
Sex, Lies & Cholesterol (2010)
by Dr. Ryan E. Bentley
The spark is the oxidation that leads to the inflammatory process, and that can potentially lead to the forest fire—a heart attack. There is an increased risk of a bigger forest fire (heart attack) because there is more cholesterol circulating around, ...
A New Cabinet Cyclopaedia, Comprehending a Complete Series of Essays, Treatises, and Systems, Alphabetically Arranged...
Proofs 9f it are frequently occurring in experiments, and the production of the spark is a constant pne, which, being accumulated in a battery, is capable of setting fire to spirit of wine and gunpowder, and even of making iron wire yed hot.
Based Upon the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster : with a Reference Library and Treasury of Facts by Noah Webster, Harry Thurston Peck
spark ignites the compressed gas in power plant (plant ), the motor, the cylinder at the proper .moment, transmission and accessories. the resulting explosion generating power transmission (tranz-mish'un), the motor's ...
by Sorrel Kerbel
Further Reading Bold, Alan, Muriel Spark, London and New York: Methuen, 1986 Cheyette, Bryan, Muriel Spark, Tavistock: Northcote House, 2000 Edgecombe, Rodney Stenning, Vocation and Identity in the Fiction of Muriel Spark, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spark
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Spark
Click on an item to view that photo:
Nice bolts of lightning.
Photo credit: deltaMike
Photo credit: strogoscope
Route 2 last night.
SD1 with 10-20/3.5 at 10mm ISO100 f/9.0 25sec NR: C0.00/L0.00
Photo credit: halfrain
- Chevrolet Spark as sold in China
Not the current model, that will be coming to America.
Photo credit: Hugo-90
- Spark and Jen
Spark naps in Jen's arms.
Photo credit: Dave Hogg
- Spark of Liberty
This is an experimental photograph taken with Arthur. The sparks in this looks a bit like the statue of liberty, hence the title - Spark of Liberty =)
Photo credit: Hash Milhan
Invisible Creature is a graphic design studio based in Seattle. It is run by brothers Don and Ryan Clark
Photo credit: maiabee
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Spark
Click on an item to play that video:
- Spark Meaning
Video shows what spark means. A small particle of glowing matter, either molten or on fire.. A short or small burst of electrical discharge.. A small, shining body, ...
- Delivering Meaning at High Velocity with Spark Streaming - Helena Edelson (DataStax)
with Cassandra, Kafka, Akka.
- 2015 Chevy Spark Indianapolis, IN Radio Explanation
Emily Robison from Hare Chevrolet shows you how to program your radio in the all new 2015 Chevy Spark.
- Gwen Stefani & Pharrell Williams on The True Meaning of Spark The Fire: The Voice 2014
Aria Johnson from Beverly Hills Pawn goes backstage at The Voice for Reality Wanted and talks to Pharrell and Gwen about the debut of their collaborative song ...
- SPARK DIALECT introduction
- Ads with real meaning of Islamic jihad spark controversy in Liberal San Francisco
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Spark ignition engines
- Explanation about the 2014 Chevrolet Spark EV Battery System
- Remote Spark Core RTTTL (RingTone Text Transfer Language)
- Distributed Natural Language Processing with Anaconda Platform Tools on a Spark Cluster and PySpark
This video shows a PySpark job running on a Spark cluster that uses the Python Natural Language Toolkit. This example demonstrates features of the Anaconda ...
- Spark Out - Phrasal Verbs 2 - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Spark Gotchas and Anti-Patterns & Julia Language
Level 3, Broomfield, Colorado - Wednesday November 5, 2014...
- Debates over Ukraine official language spark controversy
In Ukraine, debates continue over the country's official language. The recently adopted controversial bill which is elevating the status of Russian language has ...
- ESL LC Test, late spark, 5k rpm, 0.7bar
- Project Spark (BETA) Description Bug
- Change the Language (SPARK SLS)
- Spark's Brain Gym - Fast ForWord Language to Reading Demonstration
- Gi Spark 2 - language change (english)
Gi Spark 2 - language change (english) Galaxy Innovations Facebook...
- Company Description Spark Lab
- LICHTpuntje ~ Spark of LIGHT of the week - Amsterdam (English language)
See also the pronunciation examples of Spark!
Quotes about Spark
Scrabble value of S1P3A1R1K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine