The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun speaker:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun speaker
- Phrases with Speaker
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Speaker
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Speaker
- Photos about Speaker
- Video language resources about Speaker
- Quotes about Speaker
- Scrabble value of S1P3E1A1K5E1R1
- Anagrams of SPEAKER
- Share this page
The word speaker is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun speaker
What does speaker mean as a name of something?
Speaker is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural:
- speaker: speakers
- Speaker: Speakers
- someone who expresses in language; someone who talks (especially someone who delivers a public speech or someone especially garrulous)
- example: the speaker at commencement
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of speaker: talker / utterer / verbaliser / verbalizer
- more generic word: articulator = someone who pronounces words
- more specific terms:
- alliterator = a speaker or writer who makes use of alliteration
- telephoner / caller-up / caller / phoner = the person initiating a telephone call
- chatterbox / chatterer / babbler / spouter / magpie / prater = an obnoxious and foolish and loquacious talker
- conversationalist / conversationist / schmoozer = someone skilled at conversation
- dictator = a speaker who dictates to a secretary or a recording machine
- drawler = someone who speaks with a drawl
- driveller / jabberer = someone whose talk is trivial drivel
- ejaculator = a speaker who utters a sudden exclamation
- growler = a speaker whose voice sounds like a growl
- questioner / enquirer / inquirer / querier / asker = someone who asks a question
- lecturer = someone who lectures professionally
- lisper = a speaker who lisps
- mentioner = a speaker who refers to something briefly or incidentally
- motormouth = someone who talks incessantly
- murmurer / mutterer / mumbler = a person who speaks softly and indistinctly
- storyteller / narrator / teller = someone who tells a story
- public speaker / rhetorician / speechifier / speechmaker / orator = a person who delivers a speech or oration
- prattler = someone who speaks in a childish way
- ranter / raver = someone who rants and raves
- reciter = someone who recites from memory
- native speaker = a speaker of a particular language who has spoken that language since earliest childhood
- stammerer / stutterer = someone who speaks with involuntary pauses and repetitions
- stentor = a speaker with an unusually loud voice
- talking head = a talker on television who talks directly into the cameras and whose upper body is all that is shown on the screen
- venter = a speaker who expresses or gives vent to a personal opinion or grievance
- vociferator = a loud and vehement speaker
- voicer = a speaker who voices an opinion
- wailer = a mourner who utters long loud high-pitched cries
- whisperer = one who speaks in a whisper
- informant / witnesser / witness = someone who sees an event and reports what happened
- electro-acoustic transducer that converts electrical signals into sounds loud enough to be heard at a distance
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of speaker: loudspeaker / loudspeaker system / speaker system / speaker unit
- more generic term: electro-acoustic transducer = a transducer that converts electrical to acoustic energy or vice versa
- more specific terms:
- loud hailer / loud-hailer / bullhorn = a portable loudspeaker with built-in microphone and amplifier
- intercom speaker / squawk box / squawker = the loudspeaker on an intercom or public address system
- subwoofer = a loudspeaker that is designed to reproduce very low bass frequencies
- tannoy = a loudspeaker
- tweeter = a loudspeaker that reproduces higher audio frequency sounds
- woofer = a loudspeaker that reproduces lower audio frequency sounds
- part of: P.A. / P.A. system / PA / PA system / public address system = an electronic amplification system used as a communication system in public areas
- the presiding officer of a deliberative assembly
Alternative definition of the noun speaker
- One who speaks.
- See Loudspeaker.
- [politics] The chair or presiding officer of certain legislative bodies, such as the U.K. House of Commons or the U.S. House of Representatives.
- One who makes a speech to an audience.
- [linguistics] The producer of a given utterance, whether actually spoken or not.
Specialised definition of the noun speaker
Glossary of sports / weightlifting
the official who moderates the competition, announcing the name of the athlete about to attempt a lift and announcing the validity or non-validity of the lift after it has been attempted. The speaker also introduces the athletes and other officials during the presentation
- Speaker is a musical group.
- albums: "Well! Come closer.", "Trace My Track"
- Speaker is a musical group.
- "Speaker" is a musical EP of General Ludzn.
- "Speaker" is a musical EP of Michael Mayer.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Speaker" is a musical EP of PTA.
"Speaker" is a book by Dennis Hastert.
- also known as "Speaker: lessons from forty years in coaching and politics"
- Speaker is a fictional film character.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1955 Danish family film På tro og love.
- Speaker a.k.a. The Woman is a fictional character from the 2006 film Container.
- read more about The Woman
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2003 film Beyond Borders.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2000 film Forklift Driver Klaus - The First Day on the Job.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1965 film The Three Faces.
- Speaker is a fictional character from Protect The Nation.
- Speaker is a fictional character in the 1970 short film Danske billeder.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1999 film Fight Club.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2010 film The Social Network.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2014 film What It Was.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1997 film My Life in Pink.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Deception.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2008 film Milk.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1998 film Belly.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2011 drama film After the Revolution.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1975 film Pinchcliffe Grand Prix.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1997 film The Jackal.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2013 film The Art of Happiness.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1987 film Cry Freedom.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1983 film Emanuelle Escapes from Hell.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1975 film Funny Lady.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1994 film The Madness of King George.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 2008 film Diary of a Tired Black Man.
- Speaker is a fictional character from the 1985 film Fletch.
Speaker is a drinking establishment.
- part of United Kingdom
speaker: Meet Rebecca Murtagh, the marketing keynote speaker and trainer passionate about empowering professionals to embrace emerging trends, best practices and their own unique perspective to achieve goals.
Phrases with Speaker
Phrases starting with the word Speaker:
Phrases ending with the word Speaker:
- Lay speaker
- Guest speaker
- native speaker
- public speaker
- Plenary Speaker
- intercom speaker
- Non-Native Speaker
- salutatory speaker
- valedictory speaker
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Speaker
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Rosal�a de Castro
" where the speaker is a golden-winged insect that is afraid of being eaten by a bird.
by Lafcadio Hearn
Evidently the speaker is a girl who wishes for a lover: the same simile uttered by masculine lips would sound in Japanese ears much as would sound in English ears a man's comparison of himself to a violet or to a rose. For the like reason, one ...
Violent Geographies (2013)
Fear, Terror, and Political Violence by Derek Gregory, Allan Pred
The speaker is a refugee from the violent conflict that has wracked Turkey's southeastern provinces since the mid- 1980s.
Lushootseed Dictionary (1994)
by Dawn Bates, Thom Hess, Hilbert, Vi
NL, Skagit speaker, resident of Nooksack, lived also in Mount Vernon and Concrete, VH's mother NL, Skagit speaker, resident of Upper Skagit, raised in Eastern Washington SL, Snoqualmie speaker, resident of Muckleshoot, early childhood in ...
by Abraham Pizam
Speaker 619 or seminar leader who is a topic specialist; a trainer or workshop leader who facilitates for group participation and interaction; a change of pace speaker such as a humorist, entertainer or sports figure, industry insider, educational, ...
by Thomas Edlyne TOMLINS
For dispatch of business, each house of parliament has its speaker. The speaker of the house of lords, whose office it is to preside there, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Speaker
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Speaker
Click on an item to view that photo:
Mains showing drivers and finish
Photo credit: Mike Babcock
A parking garage; Roanoke VA
Photo credit: taberandrew
Photo credit: MShades
Photo credit: rob.wall
A speaker that hasn't been actively used in several years.
Photo credit: Greg Has Pants
Photo credit: Kevin Doncaster
Speaker from a computer
Photo credit: icantthinkofanoriginalusername
Photo credit: BadOmen
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: Tessss
- Mr. Speaker
Photo credit: Sandip Bhattacharya
- Mylar speaker
Portable audio player built with an Arduino Duemilanove, and Adafruit Waveshield, mylar speaker, 9v battery.
From the process of developing and testing a circuit for a hauntology project called 'The Haunter' -...
Photo credit: joeflintham
- Speaker Truck
A speaker trucker in Port of Spain; playing music for the people in the parade.
Photo credit: adpowers
- Center speaker
Center speaker (excuse the dust)
Photo credit: Mike Babcock
- Mr Speaker
He wears an innocent smoothie hat, because he's hip like that.
Photo credit: pjohnkeane
- Speaker installed
Photo credit: Daniel Morrison
- Platform & speaker
At the 7th Avenue station in Park Slope
Photo credit: wka
- Passionate speaker
Photo credit: Andrey Grushnikov
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Speaker
Click on an item to play that video:
- Linguistic Genius Vocabulary Wizard Elegant Speaker
Disclaimer:Credit to George Hutton Mesmerize vast audiences with your deep and rich vocabulary. Impress everybody with your knowledge of English.
- Linguistic Genius|Vocabulary Wizard|Elegant Speaker
- Speaker Meaning
Video shows what speaker means. One who speaks.. Loudspeaker.. The chair or presiding officer of certain legislative bodies, such as the U.K. House of ...
- Sony Symphonic Light Speaker - Sound Test and Explanation
Sony's Symphony Light Speaker is a bedside lamp or you can hang it on the ceiling, moreover, it can stream music from your mobile device. Multiple lights can ...
- LinkedIn Speaker Series: Eric Ries on the Lean Startup's Definition of Quality
Eric Ries, the author of The Lean Startup, chats with LinkedIn Executive Chairman and co-founder Reid Hoffman about what quality should mean for ...
- Saeed Ahmed Motivational Speaker - Meaning Of Success
Mr Saeed Ahmed is a renowned speaker.He conducts workshops and seminars on personal development and motivation.He has conducted more than 450+ ...
- The Definition of a Professional | Customer Service Speaker Mark Sanborn
What is a professional, and how do you set yourself apart by demonstrating professionalism? In this brief video, leadership expert Mark Sanborn explains the ...
- Imbert Orchard female speaker Chinook Jargon
An unidentified female speaker of Chinook Jargon being interviewed by Imbert Orchard. To be uploaded to the Chinook Jargon blog...
- Speaker meaning vs. Sentence meaning
- Speaker Clip: "Trust & Value" Discovering the True Meaning of Client Value
In his speech, "Trust & Value: How to Compete in a Brutally Competitive Environment," professional speaker and award-winning author Jeff Beals tells an ...
- Speaker Seeks Explanation In KC(M)'s Petition Against PC George
Kairali People is a leading Malayalam news channel, owned by Kairali TV, which brings to you round the clock coverage of breaking news. The channel is ...
- Embu leader demand Govt. explanation for speaker disappearance
- CCI Winter Speaker Series Presents: "Mindtools: The evolution and new definition of literacy"
What does it mean to be literate at a time when you can search billions of texts in less than 300 milliseconds? Although you might think that "literacy" is one of the ...
- SPEAKER EXPLANATION
- Leadership Speaker David Dye, Testimonial - Human capital, meaning and purpose and work
- AP Speaker Kodela Sivaprasad Rao explanation on YSR Photo issue | 10TV
Andhra Pradesh speaker Kodela Sivaprasad Rao gave explanation on removal of YSR photo from Assembly premises, during AP Assembly session. For latest ...
- High court seeks explanation from Speaker about party defections in state - Hyderabad (05-03-2015)
High Court sent notices to State Assembly and Council Chairman to give explanation on party defections in state. Watch first ever a 24/7 Telangana news ...
- Chicago Business Networking Speaker Shares her Definition
Networking is an active, dynamic process that links people into mutually beneficial relationships to build social capital.
- Leadership Speaker Jean Gatz Definition of Leadership
Leadership speaker Jean Gatz can be found at...
- Motivational Speaker Jean Gatz | The Definition of Sales
Motivational Speaker Jean Gatz can be found at...
- Danny Daze & Translucent - Speaker Language (Original Mix)
Artist : Danny Daze, Translucent Title : Speaker Language (Original Mix) Label : Kompakt Release : 2014-09-01 Buy ...
- Diy ESL Electrostatic speaker
DIY Electrostatic speaker. Polarization voltage 3000 volts, AC - ~450V.
- Bass Egg Verb Bluetooth Vibration Speaker Unboxing & Review!
The Bass Egg is a portable, rechargeable device that turns everyday objects into robust speaker systems. Unlike a traditional speaker, the Bass Egg has no ...
- Dr.Ujjwal Patni: Workshop Body Language- II, Corporate Trainer | Motivational Speaker| Author.
To invite him for Training in your organisation, pls call at 09229386002, 07024148700. You can also mail at [email protected] For other details, log on ...
- Minions Language Speaker
- Richard McDougall - Body Language and Communications Speaker
Book Richard McDougall for your event via NMP Live...
- Ditch your dictionary to become a better English speaker - Free Go Natural English ESL Video Lesson
ESL TROUBLESHOOTING COURSE...
- How to Learn & Teach a Foreign Language : Teaching a Monolingual Speaker a Foreign Language
Teaching monolingual speakers a foreign language can be very difficult, learn pedagogical methods and tips for teaching a foreign language in this free video.
- Bass Egg VERB Bluetooth Vibration Speaker
- 5 language speaker
See also the pronunciation examples of Speaker!
Quotes about Speaker
Most of our censure of others is only oblique praise of self, uttered to show the wisdom and superiority of the speaker. It has all the insidiousness of self-praise, and all the ill-desert of falsehood. (Tyron Edwards)
more quotes about speaker...
Scrabble value of S1P3E1A1K5E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SPEAKER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Speaker!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Speaker to see it in context!