On this page:
- Definition of the noun standing
- Definition of the adjective standing
- Definition of the verb standing
- Phrases with Standing
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Standing
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Standing
- Photos about Standing
- Video language resources about Standing
- Sign language
- Quotes about Standing
- Scrabble value of S1T1A1N1D2I1N1G2
- Anagrams of STANDING
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun standing
What does standing mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: standings
- social or financial or professional status or reputation
- examples: of equal standing | a member in good standing
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic words: position / status = the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society
- more specific words:
- rating = standing or position on a scale
- ranking = position on a scale in relation to others in status or rank or achievement
- prominence = the state of being prominent: widely known or eminent
- importance / grandness = a prominent status
- prestigiousness / prestige = a high standing achieved through success or influence or wealth etc.
- obscurity = an obscure and unimportant standing
- laurels / honour / honor = the state of being honored
- dishonour / dishonor = a state of shame or disgrace
- an ordered listing of scores or results showing the relative positions of competitors (individuals or teams) in a sporting event
- the act of assuming or maintaining an erect upright position
Alternative definition of the noun standing
- Position or reputation in society or a profession: "He does not have much of a 'standing' as a chemist".
- See Duration.
- The act of a person who stands, or a place where someone stands.
- [sports] The position of a team in a league or of a player in a list: "After their last win, their 'standing' went up three places".
- [British] room in which to park a vehicle or vehicles
- [legal] The right of a party to bring a legal action, based on the relationship between that party and the matter to which the action relates.
Definition of the adjective standing
What does standing mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more standing / most standing
- having a supporting base
- not created for a particular occasion
- (of fluids) not moving or flowing
- executed in or initiated from a standing position
- examples: race from a standing start | a standing jump | a standing ovation
- adjective position: attributive adjective (it occurs before the noun)
- antonym: running
- (of persons) on the feet; having the torso in an erect position supported by straight legs
- example: standing room only
- antonym: seated
- example: a standing army
- similar: regular
Alternative definition of the adjective standing
- Erect, not cut down.
- Performed from an erect position.
- Remaining in force or status.
- Stagnant; not moving or flowing.
Definition of the verb standing
What does standing mean as a doing word?
- [present participle of, stand]; in the process of coming to an upright position.
- "Standing" is a musical single of Silvio Ecomo.
- also known as Standing (disc 1)
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Standing" is a musical single of VNV Nation.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Standing" is a musical album by Craig Whittaker.
- "Standing" is a composition.
- music by Joss Whedon
Standing: In law, standing or locus standi is the term for the ability of a party to demonstrate to the court sufficient connection to and harm from the law or action challenged to support that party's participation in the case.
Phrases with Standing
Phrases starting with the word Standing:
- Standing end
- standing army
- Standing Joke
- Standing Part
- standing room
- Standing Seam
- standing wave
- Standing Cloud
- standing order
- standing press
- standing stone
- standing ovation
- standing committee
- Standing Milkvetch
- standing rib roast
- Standing room only
Phrases ending with the word Standing:
View more phrases with the word Standing in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Standing
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
For Use in Elementary Schools by John Kennedy
obstacle (something standing against), rest (stand back), stable (standing firm ...
Encyclopedia of Religions (2013)
by John G. R. Forlong
Sanskrit : " standing." A stone or pillar. Star. See Zodiak. The word is common to most Aryan languages, from the root stra to " strew " or " stream " with light. Sanskrit and Zend stara : Greek aster : Latin stella and astrum : Teutonic stairno : Dutch ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
SMEO SMFT SMI situation report special interest vessel staff judge advocate standing joint force headquarters standing joint force headquarters (core element ) Standing Joint Force Headquarters - North Secretary, Joint Staff station-keeping ...
by Editorial Staff, State History Publications, LLC
Stone Building Standing Rock Cemetery, Kent, ...
Tohono O'odham/Pima to English, English to Tohono O'odham/Pima by Dean Saxton, Lucille Saxton, Susie Enos
Map or Other Names Giwho Tho'ag Gogs Mek* Burnt Dog Topawa Gohih Kehk Mulberry Standing Kohi Kug Gohk Sha'alk* Two Clefts Quinn's Well, Aguirre Vaya Hahl Mek Burnt Squash Hali Murk Hahshani Chuhchk Saguaro Standing ...
by Stoppani, Jim
Standing Curl Exercises Barbell Curl Barbell Curl With Bands Standing Dumbbell Curl Standing .
by Jeffrey Wayne Vincoli
Measured with the individual standing erect. scrotale - scye level, frontal, sitting The surface distance from scrotale up the front of the torso to the scye height. Measured with the individual sitting erect. scrotale — scye level, frontal, standing The ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Standing
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Standing
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: the_coyote_uk
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Violet can now stand holding onto things, though she still doesn't pull herself up.
Photo credit: Joe Shlabotnik
Photo credit: exoimperator
Photo credit: artr
- Reese Standing
Photo credit: donnierayjones
- Standing cheetah cub
A cheetah cub among trees and vegetation...
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
Kaden is a little terrified of standing on his own, but he's compelled to do it like crazy.
Photo credit: Nabeel H
- Standing Buddha
International Buddhist Council Buddhgaya, Bodhgaya
Photo credit: Akuppa
- Goat Standing On Rock On Stool
they seem to like standing on stuff
Photo credit: indi.ca
- Standing Sushi Bar
Uogashi Nihonichi in Shibuya
Photo credit: jonolist
View more pictures about Solitude Standing.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Standing
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of Standing Crunch and added some obliques
- "The Last Girl Standing" - Robert Meaning.
- Explanation Behind "Standing in the Rain"
- Standing Meaning
Video shows what standing means. ; in the process of coming to an upright position.. Standing Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- James Jafari demo and explanation of Standing Split
How to do a standing split yoga. A step by step guide to safely ease your way into a standing split.
- 10:30AM - Standing For God's Definition Of Marriage - Barry Grider
- Vocabulary - Long Standing - Migliora il tuo Inglese - Improve your English
- The meaning behind "Standing Tall." Intro. | The Joshua Carter Group
- Kieron Conway Futsal Standing Tackle Explanation
Standing tackle explanation.
- Jackson standing - regular definition
- Body Language - positive and negative signals when standing
- Body Language - Take a stand! Tips for standing during presentations!
What's the most effective way to stand for front of the room presentations? Find out by watching this short video by Robyn Hatcher of SpeakEtc and Do it in ...
- TRAWZ Designing - Speedart #25 - Poster 'Last Man Standing' (Description)
Opdracht voor Duits, maak een Duitse filmposter + script dus ik had wel iets leuks bedacht voor de poster! :D enjoy Song: Pegboard Nerds & Tristam - Razor ...
- ESL Activities - "Standing Sentences"
ESL Activities for sentences...
- High-tech standing language and music station
- Beyonce - Standing On The Sun - (LYRICS ON SCREEN & DESCRIPTION)
Lyrics Source -...
- Standing Calf Raise- description and demonstration
- Standing On The Promises Of God (Burmese Language)
"Standing On The Promises Of God" Sermon by Rev. Dr. Naw San Dee "Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, ...
- Standing Your Adjective's Ground
- Body Language Tip #39 Standing Angle by AskHG
View more videos about Standing Up, Standing end, Good standing, Standing Bear, Standing Joke, Standing Part, Standing Seam, Standing wave, Standing Cloud, Standing order, Standing Stone, Standing Water, Standing Ovation, Standing Committee, and Standing room only.
See also the pronunciation examples of Standing!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Standing
Scrabble value of S1T1A1N1D2I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STANDING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Standing!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Standing to see it in context!