Stare appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Trap a rat! Stare, piper, at star apart!
- Deep stare: liar times a semi-trailer at speed.
- Stare not, stare not, else dudes let one rat stone rats.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun stare
- Definition of the verb stare
- Phrases with Stare
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stare
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stare
- Usage statistics about stare
- Photos about Stare
- Videos about Stare
- Quotes about Stare
- Scrabble value of S1T1A1R1E1
- Anagrams of STARE
- Share this page
The word stare is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun stare
What does stare mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: stares
- a fixed look with eyes open wide
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic terms: look / looking / looking at = the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun stare
- A persistent gaze.
Definition of the verb stare
What does stare mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: stared | staring | stares
- look at with fixed eyes
- examples: The students stared at the teacher with amazement | They stare up the hill
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Spatial Preposition] [Stimulus] We peered at the baby
- lexical domain: Perceptions - verbs of seeing, hearing, feeling
- synonym of stare: gaze
- more generic word: look = perceive with attention
- more specific terms:
- fixate one's eyes
Alternative definition of the verb stare
- [intransitive, construed with 'at'] To look fixedly (at something).
Stare a.k.a. Staré is a village and municipality in Michalovce District in the Kosice Region of eastern Slovakia.
- read more about Staré
Stare were an early 1990s four-piece indie band from Norfolk, England. Members of the band were Michael Brown, Karl Goodbody, Richard Hammerton and Derek O'Sullivan, joined by second guitarist in March 1992 David Donley.
- "Stare" is a musical album of Gorky Park.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Stare" is a musical EP of Nils Frahm & Ólafur Arnalds.
- released on
- "Stare" is a musical album of Yotam Perel.
- released on
- "Stare" is a musical single of Marjorie Fair.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Stare" is a musical single of The Accidents.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Stare" is a musical album of Crivits.
- released in (21 years ago)
Phrases with Stare
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stare
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with Biographies of All the Governors of the State, and of the Presidents of the United States
Stare is the next younger; Sarah is the...
Stare is a patentee of several valuable devices, including the steel and iron road, which was patented December 16, ...
The Cougar (2013)
Beautiful, Wild and Dangerous by Paula Wild
Actually experiencing the hard stare is an event that becomes indelibly imprinted on the psyche. “It was a beautiful October afternoon after we'd had a lot of rain,” Liz Buckham recalled the spring of 2012. “l wasn't going to walk far, just to the ...
Bob's Story (2000)
Memories of Love and War by Robert E. P. Moranda, George E. Moranda
Vith is mentioned, a blank stare is the response. Many television programs INTRODUCTION.
Thousand Yard Stare (2010)
by Pierce Kelley
The stare is a characteristic combat stress reaction which may be a precursor to, or symptom of, post-traumatic stress disorder.” As of the time of this writing, there are still a few among us who remember the horrors of the first World War, which ...
by Jon Gress
A direct eyeline stare is a universal animal kingdom sign of aggression and triggers fear, anxiety, and stress responses. [tip] One of the most important concepts in blocking and staging a movie scene is that you always try ...
by John Roberts
The stare is the power of the image to overwhelm, to suffuse the observer with pity, horror or revulsion.” A politics of violence bifurcated by the requirement to look and the need to look away, therefore, is also conditioned by the need to ...
Q - Z ; 1 by Hensleigh Wedgwood
star en, staroogen, to stare, gaze, look fixedly. N. stara, stira, are also used in the sense of simply looking, turning the eyes towards. Star, eyes, look, sight ; brunt star, brown eyes. As the act of looking consists only in ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
STARE. Hence it is that the enemies of God take occasion. asserting of all proclamations, and orders of state ; to the vindicating of illegal commissions and grants of monopolies; holding for honourable that which pleased, ...
by Walter William Skeat
stare, a starling. — A. S. star, a starling.-f. Icel. starri, start, Dan. stier, Swed. stare, G. staar, L. sturnus. Start, to move suddenly. (E.) M. E. sttrten; pt. t. stirte (Havelok. 873), sturte, slortc (Layamon, 23951), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stare
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about stare
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb stare:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb stare:
Photos about Stare
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Stare
Click on an item to play that video:
- Stare Meaning
Video shows what stare means. To look fixedly (at something).. stare pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. stare meaning.
- Stare down Meaning
Video shows what stare down means. To overcome or make uncomfortable by staring intently.. Stare down Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Glimpse Glance Stare Gaze Contemplate - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- III Brief Description of the Narc Stare
- Learn English Language - Homophones - break brake, stair stare, deer dear, and a bonus word
Want to learn some English? In this (LEL) Learn English Language video, some more homophones are discussed. This time under a lamp on a table. This is an ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Stare!
Quotes about Stare
Scrabble value of S1T1A1R1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine